Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

The fate of the multiverse relies on the flatulence of lord Steve fart cloth.

Fart Guardians of the Multiverse

Randabis fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I'm assuming this is blindingly obvious to everyone but me, but is the very end of What If a nod to the very end of Loki?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Gynovore posted:

I'm assuming this is blindingly obvious to everyone but me, but is the very end of What If a nod to the very end of Loki?

Yes and it was indeed quite nice :)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gynovore posted:

Yes, that was what you thought it was.

Tom Tucker posted:

Infinity stones being just PEW PEW LAZERS is one of my biggest pet peeves. Surely writers can think of more fun things to do with these powers? Same with Green Lantern oh cool he made another big fist neato.

I appreciate when they do things like Strange vs. Thanos in Infinity War or even Strange vs. Himself music battle which fell a bit flat (pun intended) but at least they tried.

They did a few things like that in this episode but too often it comes down to beams instead of literally reshaping reality, knocking someone's soul out of their body, giving them insane visions, or teleporting them into a black hole.

I think the irony here is that the MCU adaptation of the Stones, for lack of a better term, inhibits the writers of even silly (I know, I know...) stuff like What If. In the original incarnation Thanos spends a comics mini-series hunting down the stones, we see their users, sometimes unwittingly!, use their power to do more or less silly things, and it takes Thanos vomiting some exposition on the reader to explain how by their powers combined, the Stones make someone a deity-level power cosmic. And in the comic format it is easier to accept a visual representation of Wolverine's adamantium skeleton turned into a rubber one instead, or turning people into lego blocks and whatever other body horrors Thanos got around to, but these would be difficult to make look cool in live action. People complained in this very thread about Loki's spaghettification looking goofy, and it was still sort of terrifying body horror! So now when we have an animated series, are they pre-empting criticism for going "against established canon" on how the Stones work and only doing lazy laser show battles instead of letting the greater freedom of the medium go hog wild? The finale had some things happen in the fight that weren't just laser beams, and those were cool, but they could've done more as you say. And it sure would've helped if they'd gone for longer run-times for some of these eps, looking at you Peggy, Hela and Kahhori eps :argh:, but alas.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I hope they put Captain Carter to rest after this, she's not at all an interesting character to me. The premise is supposed to What If Peggy Carter Got the Serum but instead it's just What If Captain America Looked and Sounded Like a British Woman. Her personality is basically the same as the MCU Cpt America, kind of laidback and mildly jovial but with a lot of determination and spirit when needed. MCU Peggy Carter (in the movie, no idea about the show) was much more hard-nosed with a bit of an edge. Like her introduction in the movie has her punch out a soldier because he pissed her off

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also shout out to Strange Supreme for pronouncing Infinitum in Sanctum Infinitum correctly - instead of in-fin-e-tum, which I usually get.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
What’s everyone’s rankings of this season’s episodes?

For me

01 -Captain Carter & the Hydra Stomper. Some great action set pieces, plus the chemistry between Peggy & Nat
02 - Hela & the Ten Rings. Cate Blanchett is just fantastic and she was obviously having a great time with this.
03 - Kahhori & the Tesseract. Loved the final scene where she goes to Spain.
04 - Nebula & the Nova Corps. Great noir visuals. Plus Karen Gillam always does well with Nebula.
05 - Avengers 1602. Needed more time to breathe.
06 - Strange Supreme. Less lasers, thanks.
07 - Peter Quill vs Avengers. A nice cast but the plot was too predictable.
08 - Happy does Die Hard. Was hoping for more Kat Dennings.
09 - Iron Man & the Grandmaster. Really found this one pretty dull.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really enjoyed this season and I'm fine with Captain Carter being like the star of the show.

But yeah I do want to see more characters from recent films. I think a lot of the Avengers stuff has been fully tapped.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Andrew_1985 posted:

I don't have a ranking since I loved the entire season but I found the Grandmasters Deathrace 3000 episode extremely entertaining and don't think I would personally place it below 80's Avengers.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I enjoyed the Captain Carter and Kahhori episodes, the others not so much. "What if MCU, but slightly different" feels like a waste of concept.

Tom Tucker posted:

Infinity stones being just PEW PEW LAZERS is one of my biggest pet peeves. Surely writers can think of more fun things to do with these powers? Same with Green Lantern oh cool he made another big fist neato.

I assume that Peggy simply didn't have the time to figure out how to use them properly, and just did a brute force approach with mostly lasers.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Codependent Poster posted:

I really enjoyed this season and I'm fine with Captain Carter being like the star of the show.

But yeah I do want to see more characters from recent films. I think a lot of the Avengers stuff has been fully tapped.

I was bummed we didn't see Ms Marvel or She Hulk, they'd both be fun in this format.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Hey, regarding the Kahoori episode, one thing I couldn't help notice was how many Conquistadors there were. I would estimate at least three hundred, and at least four huge battleships. A large army like that is exactly what you don't want when searching for something; they would consume an ungodly amount of food and move slowly through unfamiliar terrain. Also, the Mohawk Nation was in what's now New York, which is a much longer trip from Spain than Florida. And why do they need all those battleships anyway?

Hernando de Soto's expedition to Florida consisted of an army of 700 soldiers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Andrew_1985 posted:

For me

01 -Captain Carter & the Hydra Stomper. Some great action set pieces, plus the chemistry between Peggy & Nat
02 - Hela & the Ten Rings. Cate Blanchett is just fantastic and she was obviously having a great time with this.
03 - Kahhori & the Tesseract. Loved the final scene where she goes to Spain.
04 - Nebula & the Nova Corps. Great noir visuals. Plus Karen Gillam always does well with Nebula.
05 - Avengers 1602. Needed more time to breathe.
06 - Strange Supreme. Less lasers, thanks.
07 - Peter Quill vs Avengers. A nice cast but the plot was too predictable.
08 - Happy does Die Hard. Was hoping for more Kat Dennings.
09 - Iron Man & the Grandmaster. Really found this one pretty dull.

01. Iron Man and the Grandmaster. It's Death Race in Space.
02. Kahhori & the Tesseract There's a lot to like about this episode. I could watch conquistadors being beaten up all day for example. But it is not Death Race in Space.
03. Hela & the Ten Rings. Solely because of Cate Blanchett's performance.
04. Season finale. I actually liked this one. Strange Supreme gets closure. More Kahori. And "give them Hel".
05. Avengers 1602. Saved by Unhappy Hogan and Hulk's "Hulk smash thee".
06. Happy Does Die Hard. I agree that this needed more Kat Dennings.
07. Nebula & Nova Corps. Kinda dull.
08. Captain Carter & the Hydra Stomper. Again kinda dull. Just action figures smashing together.
09. Peter Quill vs. The Avengers. Does nothing that the second Guardians of the Galaxy didn't do and that movie did it better.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I know there are references to lots of things in that Stark/Grandmaster episode, but Wacky Races and Speed Racer were the ones that stuck out the most to me. I feel like there were direct shots lifted from the Speed Racer movie.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
It's interesting that Season 1 is darker and had "bad endings" where the good guys lose, but Season 2 seems much more positive in comparison.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I love Captain Carter and "MCU but slightly different" and hope there's more of both, but I totally trust this team to make whatever at this point.

In conclusion What If..? Is a land of contrasts

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Alhazred posted:

Hernando de Soto's expedition to Florida consisted of an army of 700 soldiers.

Yeah, and they raped the hell out of any natives they encountered. It stands to reason the doofus here would do the same.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
pretend I shopped the what if logo to say wtf??? and quoted your posts

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
We need a What the--?! animated series.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Man, Thanos can NOT get a loving break.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Oasx posted:

We need a What the--?! animated series.

I will know the MCU is truly dead when we have an Impossible Man show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sockser posted:

I did not really care for the finale
Too much "banging action figures together" and not enough meat

I find it kind of a bummer personally that his next appearance after "I fought so hard to make things fit my view that I literally destroyed my entire universe, and it finally drove the point home that just because I'm magic doesn't mean I can do whatever I want" (beyond a team up finale) is "well sure, but what if I could actually do whatever I want", but yeah, the action was probably the least interesting part of the episode. The biggest disappointment for me though was something entirely self imposed because before watching the final episode I saw a YouTube thumbnail of the episode with Peggy wearing Hela's helm and holding a big green sword and I thought that the episode would mirror Avengers: Endgame by having Peggy prove worthy of and summon Ten Ring's Hela's helm at a low moment when the villain seemed triumphant after knocking down Hela and she'd use it to summon some swords and go ham on him.

live with fruit posted:

Seems pretty certain at this point that Captain Carter is going to show up in one of the Avengers movies.

It'd never happen, but it would be fun if Disney started building some hype about the return of Captain America in a future movie with shots of the shield, the classic helm etc and then it's Captain Carter instead. There'd be a whole lot of rage from certain sectors of the internet, but gently caress 'em, it'd still be drat fun to see beefed up Hayley Atwell in live action and they could have both Caps (or throw in Isiah Bradley and Sam Wilson for 4 Caps) if they wanted to mitigate that somewhat. I say "somewhat" because a good chunk of that same crowd would still find some reason to scream that the female Captain America was portrayed in a better light or whatever, but I'd enjoy a "Oops...all Captain Americas" Avengers film.

Mike the TV posted:

Man, Thanos can NOT get a loving break.

He seemed pretty chill in the first "What If..." episode with T'Chala Starlord.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 31, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just got caught up. It get’s a thumbs up from me. Somebody over in Disney’s writers’ room is reading the same weird anthropology books as me, kept pingng my radar.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What If Instead of More Avenger Episodes We Remembered Black Knight, Blade, Starfox, America Chavez, Clea, She-Hulk, Skaar, Power Broker, Elsa Bloodstone, the leftover Symbiote, Jack Lockley, Hercules, and Prince T'Challa Exist?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
All those characters are barely explored in canon so far. She-Hulk probably has the best chance out of those. Since she has the most story meat to work with. America Chavez is probably second, but she only exists in mainline MCU, that’s her thing. I guess you could do more back story about her and that one Strange that dies? Her uniqueness would probably be noteworthy by the Watcher to reiterate.

As far future stories, yeah I’d like to see them push farther somehow. Most of the characters act in line with their sacred timeline counterparts, so many of the stories don’t do much for me. Gamora or Bucky have a change of heart in this timeline? Okay, yeah that’s not that surprising a story beat. As far as character 180s, Hank having his heel turn and Thanos having that face turn last season are probably the wildest swings we got, those are fine, just would like to see some good stories behind those changes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, What If... She Hulk joined the Avengers rather than continuing to be a lawyer could be interesting.

You could throw America into any and just have "oh yea I came to this reality" and not need anymore explanation.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I liked the 80s Avengers episode. A team led by Pym has a different dynamic and I hope they come back to them again.

I also don't mind focusing on getting people like Blanchett, Rockwell and Law back.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Just found out the new season started.
Ran thru episode 1, was alrite. I did dig the Noir style detective story.

Episode 2 felt way too easy.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Instead of Captain Carter (who is great don't get me wrong) I'd rather have Hank Pym's Wacky 80s Avengers show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really love Peggy throwing Strange's "You'd do this for Steve!" back in his face because of course Steve Rogers wouldn't ever choose himself over others. That is the defining aspect of Cap, he's always giving of himself, will always put himself on the line to help people that are threatened. He would rather die than innocents being harmed.

Morrow posted:

Instead of Captain Carter (who is great don't get me wrong) I'd rather have Hank Pym's Wacky 80s Avengers show.

I do think its funny that Hope and Pete grow up to be like the worst people in the MCU.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

someone in the writers room must really think Korg is the greatest thing ever

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

GateOfD posted:

someone in the writers room must really think Korg is the greatest thing ever

Taika must have hosed up and signed a contract for the session and not how many episodes.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
One of the most interesting parts of watching What If... for me is seeing just who is willing to come back to do voice work. Like I understand Chris Evans and Robert Downey both being checked out, but I wouldn't have expected Josh Brolin and Micheal Rooker to come back to basically do two or three lines.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Overlord K posted:

One of the most interesting parts of watching What If... for me is seeing just who is willing to come back to do voice work. Like I understand Chris Evans and Robert Downey both being checked out, but I wouldn't have expected Josh Brolin and Micheal Rooker to come back to basically do two or three lines.

It's funny that every new semi-serious actor has to talk about how they have no interest doing Marvel movies, yet actors like Brolin and Blanchett apparently have a blast making them.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I really hated season 2 compared to season 1. The hela episode really cemented it for me. It felt like they started from "we want to make hela a good guy!" but didn't have the time to make a murder-psycho into a good person so they made her meditate and now she's good!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

live with fruit posted:

It's funny that every new semi-serious actor has to talk about how they have no interest doing Marvel movies, yet actors like Brolin and Blanchett apparently have a blast making them.

There's a really big difference between signing on for one or two films and maybe and afternoon or two in a voice recording studio, and committing a decade plus of your career to 'different colour beams shoot at each other'.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Overlord K posted:

Did they come back, or was it pre-recorded stuff they had in the can? Because those two only had, like, two lines each right?

(although they might have had to get NEW permission from the actor to use it? Or maybe something in a previous contract that said,
"You're not RDJ or Evans, so we can use random clips of your voice for future projects"

Edit: Oh, and a quick "Genius at Work" note here:
In the Episode 4, Kahhori seemingly runs from somewhere nearby their village, the "Forbidden Lake" that is along the foothills before the Adirondacks, to the loving OCEAN?! Look, I'm certainly no expert on Native American history, but I am 99% sure the Mohawk tribes were in northern NY and southern Quebec and Ontario. Granted, I'll allow that Kahhori and the other powered-up people could run that fast to get from north of the Adirondacks to the mouth of the Hudson...but the conquistadors and their captives would have taken weeks to get that far, at LEAST. Even in boats going along the Hudson.

Maybe the boats aren't at the ocean, and they went north to the St. Lawrence River? But I'm not sure those GIANT Spanish ships could have sailed down that far on the St. Lawrence.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 3, 2024

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Overlord K posted:

Is there a reason why they wouldn’t come back?
I assume that any new voice actor was because the original didn’t have time, or Disney didn’t want to pay a ton of money.
I assume that voice acting is reasonable easy, so that any actor would be fine with doing lines for their animated version for the standard pay.

Condiv posted:

The hela episode really cemented it for me. It felt like they started from "we want to make hela a good guy!" but didn't have the time to make a murder-psycho into a good person so they made her meditate and now she's good!

I thought the same, she went from being a mass murderer to being a hero (who fights side by side with a bloody tyrant) in an instant.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Michael Rooker in particular doesn't seem very selective when it comes to work, just in the past two years he's been in a bunch of direct to streaming crap. A couple of voice lines for a high(ish) profile cartoon seems like a better gig than co-starring in a Tubi original movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oasx posted:

I thought the same, she went from being a mass murderer to being a hero (who fights side by side with a bloody tyrant) in an instant.

What If is high concept broad brushstrokes stuff.

You could have turned 80s Avengers into a full movie, but instead you get a truncated 30min ep.
As long as you get the 'idea' of what a full length version of that eps What If question could be, they've done their job.