Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Name Change posted:

You are the one who claimed you couldn't understand why this is commonly considered a Star Wars ripoff:

"A Star Wars movie was my original concept for it.”

Every Star Wars movie, Inglorious Basterds, Pan's Labyrinth. Why didn't you know about these movies? Are you stupid?

8 movies across 5 decades isn't exactly what I would call an abundance lol

Also these are all obvious and popular choices, I had hoped you had a more impressive selection :mediocre:

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

josh04 posted:

I don't think I said he was the only director doing this sort of thing? The point stands, the current trendy moan is that modern cinema (and Netflix productions specifically) is too bound to crisp, clean digital shooting and lacks the more intimate flaws and stylisation of older movies. Even in those examples, there's two shots that look good and one where Sam is approaching from the edge of the frame and out of focus - but when we go back to the shot she's moved into the focal plane with Jimmy.

IMO this doesn't quite work because the lighting and framing scream to me that the focal point should be 100% on the girl's face, but instead it's just slightly out of focus in favor of her hands, her skirt, the rock she's sitting on, the robot's chest, and some random blades of grass. It's just slightly offputting for the composition to draw so much attention to something that's not in focus.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

8 movies across 5 decades isn't exactly what I would call an abundance lol

Also these are all obvious and popular choices, I had hoped you had a more impressive selection: mediocre:

Well at least Zack got to obvious, popular is another story

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Snyder is very popular

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Roth posted:

Snyder is very popular

A lot of people enjoy spectacle with zero substance

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Who wants to hear statements of substance from film directors, of all people?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nodoze posted:

Go read a book

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mega Comrade posted:

In that example their hands are in the focus, their faces are not...

Maybe that was the point, lol.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Nodoze posted:

But enough about Marvel movies.

Nah. That's silly. Every movie has some substance, sometimes that substance is drain-hair.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 30, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nodoze posted:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Jimbot posted:

I believe so, yes. Link

It comes down to personal preference of the look but it's also something that requires a little more effort on our part, as viewers. It's easy to just go "Zack Snyder likes his dumb lenses" or "it's done to capture the look of the 70's and 80's sci-fi/fantasy/film" but it should be "why is it framed this way and what is the focus on the shot?" Contrary to popular belief, Snyder or any filmmaker puts thought behind each shot and the information they convey. Giving these folks a little benefit of the doubt and accept they know what they're doing is something I think we lost in this age of reactionary youtube videos that are genuinely incurious and rush to judgement or, at least, are very pretentious.

So because these lenses have that aberration effect framing becomes even more important. Why are the hands in focus and the faces are not. Jimmy is a robot with no facial features but Sam is a real person that can emote but what would that contrast be? We can obviously see that he is a faceless robot and she a blooded human. But if we focus on the hands we can tell a story. He fiddles with the towel, which isn't a lot to go on but it draws our attention to them and to his chest, which is in focus and the details inscribed on them. She's not talking but is making a flower laurel - it sets up a pay-off at the end of their conversation. His story is about the death of the princess Issa and how with her death their honor, compassion, kindness and hope died with her. At the end she puts the laurel upon his head tells him she believes all those things live within him, places her hand upon his cheek and it lights up with a warm color. She showed him those very things he thought were all but lost.

It's also worth noting that the lens isn't used in the tight shots. When they move in to focus on their faces during their conversation aberration effect is absent.

It's fair to say that if you're not engaged or interested in the works that you simply don't want to do that - no piece of art deserves your time if you don't want to give it. That said I firmly believe that, in the case of movies, you get more out of them the more you put in them. It's a lot of fun dissecting a scene or sequence and look at the filmmaking, discerning the hows and whys of it all.

This is one of my favorite videos on Man of Steel and all it does is talk about the filmmaking in one scene in that entire movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2RpU3FL1w8

And it's only 7 minutes and 30 seconds long.

Good stuff and always love that video. It’s similar when Jimmy grabs the gun in the barn later. Focus is on his hands and the gun with the eyes glowing brightly without emotion.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Majkol posted:

But enough about Marvel movies.

Nah. That's silly. Every movie has some substance, sometimes that substance is drain-hair.

Marvel movies are supremely guilty of this too

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I was up all night. I can't eat. I can't sleep. It haunts me.

I lie awake, thinking about how Zack Snyder, visionary director of 300 and Watchmen, set up the possibility for our heroes to be joined by a cowardly Brain Bug character that parasitically attaches itself to people's bodies, and then ignored that possibility entirely.

He just...introduced an interesting, weird and memorable alien side character who knew the location of the protagonists' goal, then discarded them in favour of a gunfight with Gay Panic Gothmog because it was more important to get 6 minutes of footage of a one-note Charlie Hunnam in our troupe of superhumanly attractive and generic all-human Boden catalogue heroes.

Brain Bug could have learnt valuable lessons about kindness and the power we hold over others that parallel the greater themes of the movie. Maybe we could have had a final fight scene where they're able to hide out of sight because they're small but go scuttling around hijacking enemy soldiers to save the day instead of whatever the hell the business with the chairs was, what was that with the chairs. this is a rhetorical question, it was a deeply awkward and silly plot contrivance is what it was.

Brain Bug Cut, please. Brain Bug Cut.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m with you. having such a creature show up and leave was real bad.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

sarlacc pit, both of you

grobbo
May 29, 2014

josh04 posted:

sarlacc pit, both of you

this shall not faze me; in Rebel Moon Part One: A Child Of Fire, cowboy Jabba the Hutt allows me to tame the sarlacc to gain my freedom, although of course i am only allowing myself to be enslaved in the first place as a firm matter of honour to repay my debt to him.

As I'm so unshakeably honourable and believe in repaying my debts no matter what, i agree to tame the sarlacc for him.

then i ride the sarlacc for a bit, gain my freedom, and watch as it instantly eats cowboy Jabba the Hutt's face because i didn't actually tame it like he explicitly asked me to and lmao gently caress that guy i don't owe him poo poo

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

grobbo posted:

Brain Bug Cut, please. Brain Bug Cut.

"Brain Bugs"? Frankly, I find the idea of a bug that thinks offensive!

But yes, the assembled party was thoroughly boring and one-note, and the fact that the movie touches on more interesting designs and concepts just emphasized it even more. Honestly they should've recruited the drider instead of the space ronin, too.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Jokes aside, a brain bug parasite that lives by controlling people against their will doesn’t make sense on a team of anti fascists. The whole theme of the film was not negotiating with fascists.

The real answer is that we need more Jimmy. Or maybe a trooper from that alien king who helped the rebels.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 31, 2023

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's gonna be funny when the final cut is released and it doesn't contain any additional characterisation or things that were missing but it contains an extra hour of griffons or sweaty pecs I dunno I haven't seen this one yet.

Like I remember the snyder cut discourse where everyone was talking about how the snyder cut would add in some Lois and Martha characterisation in their cut scene.

And it did and was quite a good scene then it ends with martha transforming into green goblin and winking at the camera, making it even worse than the boiiiiing whedon original in terms of female characterisation, in a way no one could have predicted.

I want the rebel moon equivalent of that

Well it did contain more & better characterization than Whedon's (who as awful as it was was also characterization - it still counts even if we wish it didn't!). Snydercut scene characterizes 3 characters: Lois, Martha, then after the reveal, Manhunter and Martha by her absence.

Lois & Martha aren't close enough to turn to each other, both physically (Kansas vs Metropolis) and emotionally (they've met maybe twice, once being Clark's funeral). The scene communicates how their grief is isolating them both. Manhunter as Swanwick has a long relationship of mutual respect with Lois, and since he's a shapeshifter he wouldn't consider trickery as an illegitimate way to help a friend in genuine need. His alienness and humanity are simultaneously emphasized.

It sits awkwardly in the story for sure, but it's not really all that weird for a cbm

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 31, 2023

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Squinty posted:

IMO this doesn't quite work because the lighting and framing scream to me that the focal point should be 100% on the girl's face, but instead it's just slightly out of focus in favor of her hands, her skirt, the rock she's sitting on, the robot's chest, and some random blades of grass. It's just slightly offputting for the composition to draw so much attention to something that's not in focus.

I have no opinion on lenses/focus debate but that's a funny username + post combo :p

Name Change posted:

Well at least Zack got to obvious, popular is another story

Ok but that wasn't the point of contention - you implied there was a plethora of these antifa fantasy movies, but could only name a few well-known titles spread over a time period older than me. Bit of a letdown

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blood Boils posted:

Well it did contain more & better characterization than Whedon's (who as awful as it was was also characterization - it still counts even if we wish it didn't!). Snydercut scene characterizes 3 characters: Lois, Martha, then after the reveal, Manhunter and Martha by her absence.

Lois & Martha aren't close enough to turn to each other, both physically (Kansas vs Metropolis) and emotionally (they've met maybe twice, once being Clark's funeral). The scene communicates how their grief is isolating them both. Manhunter as Swanwick has a long relationship of mutual respect with Lois, and since he's a shapeshifter he wouldn't consider trickery as an illegitimate way to help a friend in genuine need. His alienness and humanity are simultaneously emphasized.

It sits awkwardly in the story for sure, but it's not really all that weird for a cbm

Justice League was also never precisely the movie Snyder wanted to make, as the studio basically pushed him into doing something much closer to Guardians Of Gahoole during pre-production (i.e., making a kids' movie). The final Snyder Cut was also assembled in a context where Snyder knew there would be no future movies in the series, so it's not a precise recreation of what would have appeared in the theatres in 2017, but an attempt to repurpose the available footage. Hence new scenes showing Lois is gonna get disintegrated in the future, and so-on.

Harry Lennox's footage was filmed as part of the Snyder Cut reshoots, so it's likely that the scene was invented specifically for that cut, and the Swanwick reveal would have originally occured elsewhere (maybe in Justice League 2 or something). This is especially likely because Secretary Of Defense Swanwick is not actually a character in Justice League, so having the alien briefly morph into that character is more like an easter egg for fans than a proper plot twist. (Similar to the inclusion of Joker and the line of dialogue about Harley Quinn in the epilogue.)

The scene feels a bit forced because it ultimately was. It was Snyder's last chance to get the twist onscreen, and you'd have to fit it in somewhere. So, MM would need to be one of the human characters, and one with a role relevant to what Swanwick did in previous films. That doesn't leave many options.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Yeah, it also hurts because we later have the Martian Manhunter showing up to talk to Bruce at the end, and that only happened because DC wouldn't let him use Green Lantern (because they were paying JJ Abrams to do nothing???) as he had originally filmed. The fake Martha scene would probably play better, or least less sour, if the film had ended with a different reveal.

#releasetheactualsnydercut

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

#ReleaseTheMartianManhunterlessCut says I!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

I have no opinion on lenses/focus debate but that's a funny username + post combo :p

Ok but that wasn't the point of contention - you implied there was a plethora of these antifa fantasy movies, but could only name a few well-known titles spread over a time period older than me. Bit of a letdown

I met deliberately lovely, obtuse, and snobby posting about blockbusters (of all things) with the same. An explicitly antifascist fantasy movie comes out just about every month. You may as well ask about Seven Samurai adaptations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

it's worth substantiating because typically in internet discourse heroic fantasies get described as fascist rather than anti-fascist

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Name Change posted:

I met deliberately lovely, obtuse, and snobby posting about blockbusters (of all things) with the same. An explicitly antifascist fantasy movie comes out just about every month. You may as well ask about Seven Samurai adaptations.

Well how many seven samurai adaptions came out in 2023?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Name Change posted:

There's nothing wrong with blockbusters, I was commenting on your implication that there are a lot of antifa fantasy movies, so many that's it's ridiculous to be skeptical. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that there are some lesser known ones out there.

I would genuinely love some rec's! The most recent coming to mind is 2018's Robin Hood, I'm drawing a blank otherwise

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

I would genuinely love some rec's! The most recent coming to mind is 2018's Robin Hood, I'm drawing a blank otherwise

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Well, I couldn't resist the "worst of all time" appeals, so I watched it: honestly, not bad at all. While obviously cut to the bone and pathetically sanitized, it's still pretty solid for the genre. As has been said, the comparisons to Star Wars are a little off, this way more Heavy Metal inspired. I'm not understanding any of the complaints except for the obvious gaps caused by the editing - the sfx and cinematography were beautiful, that's probably Charlie's real accent, the designs were cool, the story is good and fun, the acting is fine. Definitely excited to see the proper version whenever it drops! Basically:

kalel posted:

I haven't seen the movie yet but it's a masterpiece. I know because it says "zack snyder" on it

Alhazred posted:

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio.

I'm iffy on del Toro but on the other hand I do enjoy that old weird fairy tale. Thanks!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

I'm iffy on del Toro but on the other hand I do enjoy that old weird fairy tale. Thanks!

Absolutely give it a shot, it's a great movie

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

Well, I couldn't resist the "worst of all time" appeals, so I watched it: honestly, not bad at all. While obviously cut to the bone and pathetically sanitized, it's still pretty solid for the genre. As has been said, the comparisons to Star Wars are a little off

It's not entirely wrong either. After all, they go to a scummy bar and recruits a smuggler. It's also worth noting that Star Wars itself is heavily inspired by european sci-fi comics.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s a pretty meaningless point to make 40+ years after Star Wars redefined sci-fi.

Like, what sci-fi action doesn’t have either a direct Star Wars influence?

This really borrowed more from Star Wars’ own influence - namely: stealing from Kurosawa and Westerns. The structure is pretty much just Seven Samurai, copied even closer than Rogue One’s take on it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Blood Boils posted:

I'm iffy on del Toro

:goofy:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

well why not posted:

It’s a pretty meaningless point to make 40+ years after Star Wars redefined sci-fi.

Like, what sci-fi action doesn’t have either a direct Star Wars influence?

This really borrowed more from Star Wars’ own influence - namely: stealing from Kurosawa and Westerns. The structure is pretty much just Seven Samurai, copied even closer than Rogue One’s take on it.

Alhazred posted:

It's not entirely wrong either. After all, they go to a scummy bar and recruits a smuggler. It's also worth noting that Star Wars itself is heavily inspired by european sci-fi comics.

And Flash Gordon & Buck Rogers & & & . .

So yea for sure there's constant cross-pollination in the genre, I just felt Rebel Moon leaned more Heavy Metal in terms of tone and content. Though admittedly I've only seen the first movie and read like 2 of the magazines at random. Pretty fun, very trashy!

What? I've seen most of his filmography lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Tbf to the Star Wars side of things, Rebel Moon is basically "what if the ST didn't blink at it's own brainwashed child soldiers rebelling plot?"

Or "what of the resistance was actually cool and good?"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Here’s the terrible secret about Del Toro: remove Pan’s Labyrinth from his filmography and he’s suddenly really mediocre.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pacific Rim is one of my favorite movies. Same with the Hellboys.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pirate Jet posted:

Here’s the terrible secret about Del Toro: remove Pan’s Labyrinth from his filmography and he’s suddenly really mediocre.

ehhhh

he's maybe a little overrated but that's going too far. man's made some stinkers recently but Cronos / Mimic / Devil's Backbone is a better 3-movie streak than most horror directors have in their entire career

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I really enjoy Pacific Rim, Blade 2, both Hellboys, The Shape of Water, and Mimic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Chronos gives del Toro a lifetime pass for me. What a banger