Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

jetz0r posted:

lol, nope. it's also made my local ops. maybe gang run, maybe grow ops that don't want to deal with taxes or overhead, but still local

who the gently caress is still buying brick weed in 2023?

large swaths of the country, especially the south, still treat it like heroin and have entire task forces dedicated to hunting down grow ops with helicopters, thermal imaging of houses and swat teams so the local grows that get through may not meet demand

you'd think the legal states growing shitloads of high quality weed would feed the supply but there is still brickweed being trafficked

border captures are way down at only around 5,000 - 10,000lbs a month but they don't get all of it. So there are still metric tons of the stuff floating around.

If I had to guess I'd say it's just feeding an established market in third world America like the deep Appalachias. They have dry counties that still have huge underground moonshine operations, simply because liquor stores are more than an hours drive away. The operations there have been sourcing the mexican weed for decades and the consumers have no choice living in an armed police state where you will go straight to jail for having literally any of it.

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

jetz0r posted:

who the gently caress is still buying brick weed in 2023?

texans

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
PFC owns an Outback. Idiot.. moron!!

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Anyway, I'd be happy to go to any store and talk about Dragon Ball Z, I think I could hold my own

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

nikosoft posted:

PFC owns an Outback. Idiot.. moron!!

The steakhouse? Probably a gold mine in the bland burbs of Pittsburgh

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/BrentTerhune/status/1701328793598591308

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

yep. poo poo was everywhere in houston.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Tennessee is about to make weed illegal and it's going to be a mess. We've had a gigantic weed boom ever since somebody decided that actually weed isn't weed, it's hemp.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/tennessee-news/hemp-retailers-worry-proposed-state-testing-rules-will-gut-business/

Now you can buy "THCA" literally everywhere and there's gigantic "THCA" farms but it's about to all get stomped on.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rectal Death Alert posted:

large swaths of the country, especially the south, still treat it like heroin and have entire task forces dedicated to hunting down grow ops with helicopters, thermal imaging of houses and swat teams so the local grows that get through may not meet demand

you'd think the legal states growing shitloads of high quality weed would feed the supply but there is still brickweed being trafficked

border captures are way down at only around 5,000 - 10,000lbs a month but they don't get all of it. So there are still metric tons of the stuff floating around.

If I had to guess I'd say it's just feeding an established market in third world America like the deep Appalachias. They have dry counties that still have huge underground moonshine operations, simply because liquor stores are more than an hours drive away. The operations there have been sourcing the mexican weed for decades and the consumers have no choice living in an armed police state where you will go straight to jail for having literally any of it.

They already moonshine, seems like just the place that would try to grow a few plants?

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

skooma512 posted:

They already moonshine, seems like just the place that would try to grow a few plants?

A moonshine still you can easily make or buy online is orders of magnitude different in output than a grow operation. "A few plants" aren't doing poo poo for thousands of people so outside sources come in.

especially when they literally have helicopters patrolling forests and energy usage audits or thermal imaging of houses to get warrants to kick in doors. They treat it like Meth in some parts of the country so whatever grow ops get past that aren't exactly a reliable supply that completely feeds the local market. Enter brickweed.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rectal Death Alert posted:

A moonshine still you can easily make or buy online is orders of magnitude different in output than a grow operation. "A few plants" aren't doing poo poo for thousands of people so outside sources come in.

especially when they literally have helicopters patrolling forests and energy usage audits or thermal imaging of houses to get warrants to kick in doors. They treat it like Meth in some parts of the country so whatever grow ops get past that aren't exactly a reliable supply that completely feeds the local market. Enter brickweed.

Just reminded of the Archer episode where the dude getting sieged by the cops for his grow up is saying he started growing weed because he finds it unethical to accept corn subsidies

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.yahoo.com/news/building-spree-reshaped-manhattan-skyline-150702162.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyscraper_Index

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

yeah unfortunately the RCI indicators are bugged in this build. you gotta satisfy your high density residential demand before office zones will build

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

I’ve no doubt that cobalt mining is horrific, but all I see in that video is Congolese people standing around, presumably handing bags of ore to each other. What am I supposed to see?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

willa you gotta realize that the typical retail cashier job is pure hell and that almost no one you run across cares if you smile or say hello back

I don't know anyone who's worked one of those jobs (myself included) who didn't treat it the same as picking orders in a warehouse or working on an assembly line. Goods come in one side and go out the other and the customers are at best surplus to requirements to and at worst a point of stress because one might be slow/confused/angry enough to slow things down and cause a legitimate problem.

when I worked retail long ago, my first supervisor taught me to forget everything I knew about customers and remember one thing only: the customer is the enemy, a hostile invading force, and the objective to evict them from our store as quickly as possible. in the subsequent decades, this lesson never steered me wrong. jonas was a sage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

I’ve no doubt that cobalt mining is horrific, but all I see in that video is Congolese people standing around, presumably handing bags of ore to each other. What am I supposed to see?

The outside world. Beyond the cities. No air conditioning. No lattes. No smartphones in sight. Probably no local craft IPAs either.

Truly a hellscape.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

PawParole posted:

bags are heavy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zodium posted:

when I worked retail long ago, my first supervisor taught me to forget everything I knew about customers and remember one thing only: the customer is the enemy, a hostile invading force, and the objective to evict them from our store as quickly as possible. in the subsequent decades, this lesson never steered me wrong. jonas was a sage.

that's the right approach

american retail is sick

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PawParole posted:

Doesn't look fun gotta give em that

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Tennessee is about to make weed illegal and it's going to be a mess. We've had a gigantic weed boom ever since somebody decided that actually weed isn't weed, it's hemp.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/tennessee-news/hemp-retailers-worry-proposed-state-testing-rules-will-gut-business/

Now you can buy "THCA" literally everywhere and there's gigantic "THCA" farms but it's about to all get stomped on.

ya you have to get your business large enough to buy the politicians

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

PawParole posted:

I'll tell you what I don't see, there's not a single piece of PPE in this open pit mine seemingly being randomly carved out.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/business/local-business/keeping-a-balance-rochester-restaurant-owners-address-minimum-wage-increase/

quote:

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) – New York’s minimum wage hike takes effect January 1, when the hourly rate will go from $14.20 to $15.

It will apply to all minimum wage workers in the Finger Lakes Region, including tipped workers. Some local business owners say it will come at an expense for those in the restaurant industry.

For small businesses like The Arnett Cafe in Rochester’s 19th Ward, owner Norman Brown says hiring is already a difficult task.

At the end of the day, it makes the small business owners like myself work a little harder. You can’t really prepare to hire the staff that you really would like to hire. You find yourself doing more tasks than normal,” said Brown.

ablooblooobloo

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

:qq: "Why do I have to pay a whole $0.80/hour more?!" *commits bank fraud via PPP/EIDL, tax evasion/fraud, etc.*

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

The steakhouse? Probably a gold mine in the bland burbs of Pittsburgh

cheapest sirloin is now $19
blooming onion is $16

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The best service I have ever had at a fast casual place paid their employees $20/hr, weird how that works

It's also wildly successful!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
If you aren't buying your weed online and having it delivered you are doing it wrong. The laws in many places only reference activated THC and not THC acid which is a completely different chemical you have to apply heat to to make it into THC.

You can get some dank poo poo, weak poo poo, CBD poo poo, or whatever suits your fancy.

Also get a vaporizer for flower and stop smoking that poo poo.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

What's up with weed stores charging insane prices but then also constantly offering huge discounts? Like this one place I go to charges $72 for an 1/8th but then regularly does 60%-80% off sales.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

is pepsi ok posted:

What's up with weed stores charging insane prices but then also constantly offering huge discounts? Like this one place I go to charges $72 for an 1/8th but then regularly does 60%-80% off sales.

Clearing old stock? :shrug:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

:laffo: I got stuff at the store for s’mores today and graham crackers are 6 loving dollars a box what on earth.

it’s fun and funny how like the baseline grocery item cost is now 5$.

the democrats!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Paradoxish posted:

Americans are strongly encouraged to redline their finances (and then feel bad about it by rear end in a top hat pop "financial advisors") so very rapid inflation is going to gently caress pretty much everyone. You have to be either very rich or living well below what's expected for your income level to not be affected at least a little bit by the last few years.

I used to live below my means. Getting back to that now. By the end of 2024 I want a 6 month emergency fund.

Apr 7, 2003

My favorite bit of TV financial advice remains "if you're underwater on your house, just leave the keys on the counter and walk away!" back in 2008-2009.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MasterWambo/status/1741229410156413332?t=nKVhGTk79SxgFXYgVUsNNg&s=19

https://twitter.com/MasterWambo/status/1741229422504562776?t=rZZGlHmklr8-8YFqm079BA&s=19

https://twitter.com/MasterWambo/status/1741229425885171806?t=IJrFPy5tWo01Za3OZ1yuVg&s=19

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Cramer where's my loving crash?! I need to see red number.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

is pepsi ok posted:

It's either:
A. People who have enough money to not give a gently caress will just buy whatever when they feel like it. People who actually need to care about their money will wait to buy it at the discounted price (the real price).
B. The JC Penney method of making you feel like you got a great value and low prices.

anonumos posted:

I used to live below my means. Getting back to that now. By the end of 2024 I want a 6 month emergency fund.

Will that 6 month fund account for the inflation that will occur across these 6 months?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

he's right

good luck convincing companies to pay to manufacture small torx screws tho. six points? that's like, two more points??

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

He's right. Starhead screws are superior in every way.

Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Will that 6 month fund account for the inflation that will occur across these 6 months?

It's like saving up to buy a house, the house prices will continue to go up at a rate faster than you can save

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If you aren't buying your weed online and having it delivered you are doing it wrong. The laws in many places only reference activated THC and not THC acid which is a completely different chemical you have to apply heat to to make it into THC.

You can get some dank poo poo, weak poo poo, CBD poo poo, or whatever suits your fancy.

Also get a vaporizer for flower and stop smoking that poo poo.

I live close enough to michigan that I’d rather support their economy directly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the really soft metal screws that strip easily are the worst form of trolling