Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
But enough about Elon Musk, there are dedicated threads for that!

"Pop Song 89" is the opening track and third single released from R.E.M.'s sixth studio album Green. It peaked at number 86 on the Hot 100, and in the UK "Stand" was re-released instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I now have my first cold since before Covid, knew it was a high chance when visiting relatives over xmas. :shrug:

:comfyoot: today :comfyoot:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

I now have my first cold since before Covid, knew it was a high chance when visiting relatives over xmas. :shrug:

:comfyoot: today :comfyoot:

Me too and I’m hosting an NYE party. Good thing I got some Bucky for Christmas.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mebh posted:

Ps. Adopt a cat. Then your bed can look like this too

Way ahead of you.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Runcible Cat posted:

Way ahead of you.

Well, your username checks out.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

Way ahead of you.

:hai:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Miftan posted:

Well, your username checks out.

Neither of them's me,for the record. No crimson whiskers.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Every pub has an app now, they got there first but it ain't a reason to go anymore.

Wetherspoons is the only app that understands it's purpose is to deliver booze and carbs to your table asap and delivers on it.

All other pub apps are useless and want you to set accounts up with passwords and poo poo and then the WiFi is too rubbish to download the menu without crashing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I worked for the company that made the Spoons app and they were a horrible client. Cheap and demanding.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hmm yes the word 'serve' has only one meaning and it's a good thing that when the bible was written (in english, of course) that they had in mind the meaning that includes blowing up kids and shooting unruly Irishmen. That's definitely what Jesus meant.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I tried using one of the apps (not spoons), and it added a 10% service charge, and then the drinks took 15 minutes to arrive when I could have walked up to the bar, ordered and picked them up in 5. Just crap.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

There's a lot of multi restaurant places in Sheffield that encourage you use their app. Places where you get like 10 food truck style places under one roof with a bar in the middle. E.g. Cutlery Works https://cutleryworks.co.uk/table-menus/

I've had mixed results. Sometimes it's extremely smooth, sometimes the bar loses your order and you have to go poke them.

Either way it's always horrifically overpriced for the bar, however the food is usually decent.

E: for a decent grub night in Sheffield try one of the (6?) Brewery/smash burger places. They all seem to be competing with each other. I don't know if London is the same but the quality and deals, especially the happy hour stuff have really gone up since they're all competing. Twisted is my current favourite. Also no apps!

Mebh fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 31, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Chas McGill posted:

I worked for the company that made the Spoons app and they were a horrible client. Cheap and demanding.

Shocking to learn that it's miserly cunts making insulting crap all the way down

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

happyhippy posted:

Friend did his uni years in Sheffield.
Went to the Forbidden Planet there nearly weekly, was a massive collector of graphic novels.
Became friends with the owner.
One day woke up to his bank emptied, all the money he needed for uni gone.
Reported to police, police traced it back to the owner of the Forbidden Planet.
Dumbass bought season tickets for Sheffield United/Wednesday in his own name.

What the gently caress? Did the dude at least pay it back? How did he get access to your friends account?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Wetherspoons is the only app that understands it's purpose is to deliver booze and carbs to your table asap and delivers on it.

All other pub apps are useless and want you to set accounts up with passwords and poo poo and then the WiFi is too rubbish to download the menu without crashing.

My favourite are the ones that don't have live data, so you order only for someone to walk over to your table 10 minutes later and tell you they don't have what you ordered.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kingturnip posted:

There's nothing wrong with having friendships that are very circumstantial.
Most of us have different friends who meet different social/political/cultural needs, and I'd be impressed (and a little scared) of anyone whose entire group of friends agreed on everything.

there are disagreements and disagreements though

like my friends can’t agree on whether BG3 or Elden Ring is a better game and that’s fine, but to be a Tory in 2023 you’ve got to believe that immigrants and trans people don’t deserve human rights and that’s a bit much to just say “agree to disagree” on imo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
when they do polls, you get stuff like a percentage of snp voters who dont want independence. Like people can be politcally aligned, whatever that means, with a party and still think some pretty unexpected things.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I could be friends with someone who's a naieve Tory voter. My Dad voted for them a few times but if you actually asked him what their policies were, he wouldn't know. His reasoning would have just been "I'm sick of Blair" or something and he hasn't voted for them recently because "I don't trust Boris".

But someone who's actually engaged with politics and still votes Tory? Nah.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

What the gently caress? Did the dude at least pay it back? How did he get access to your friends account?

Oh yeah got it back. And he skimmed the card while talking to my friend in the shop, had one behind the counter of Forbidden Planet.
It was a good 20 years ago.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Oh yeah got it back. And he skimmed the card while talking to my friend in the shop, had one behind the counter of Forbidden Planet.
It was a good 20 years ago.

Glad i never bought their B5 figures when i was last there (decades ago), a poor selection and overpriced. :colbert:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

poo poo was wild in the early days of credit / debit theft. Before you had the cvv codes on the back, you basically just needed to glance in the direction of someone's card and you could do what you liked with it. :corsair:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

poo poo was wild in the early days of credit / debit theft. Before you had the cvv codes on the back, you basically just needed to glance in the direction of someone's card and you could do what you liked with it. :corsair:

Had my card emptied in university by a worker at Domino's as to pay over the phone back then you had to read out your card to them.It was weird. They just spent my entire student loan on license plate checks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah, you used to hear about ATMs having skimming keypads put on them all the time.
Nowadays its poo poo rare.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, you used to hear about ATMs having skimming keypads put on them all the time.
Nowadays its poo poo rare.
Oh not even that, 'member those slidy chunk chunk card readers, where the shop kept a copy for themselves, entirely unencrypted for any of their bored seasonal workers to dip into? And then you would get randomly charged at some point in the future when the manager got round to processing it? Pepperidge farm remembers (your credit card number).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mega Comrade posted:

I could be friends with someone who's a naieve Tory voter. My Dad voted for them a few times but if you actually asked him what their policies were, he wouldn't know. His reasoning would have just been "I'm sick of Blair" or something and he hasn't voted for them recently because "I don't trust Boris".

I can't stand Janet Daley, but I can sort of buy her opinion of Starmer, that he'll never be PM, simply 'cos he's a very unlikeable person:

quote:

If he gets the disappointing result that I expect, it will not be because he failed to offer convincing (or any) policies that could be remedies for the country’s problems but because he has only one facial expression - the blank, startled gaze of a badger in the headlights - and no perceptible sense of humour.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So, another Kinnock or Miliband: ultimately people will look at him and just go: "nah".

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It is kind of hilarious how when he first appeared everyone said how sensible and prime ministerial he looked (mostly as a dig at how much corbyn didn't), and then he completely blew that out the water simply by opening his mouth and saying things.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair the things he says are dogshit.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It wasn't actually opening his mouth that blew it, it was just the look of terror in his eyes

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Mega Comrade posted:

We get a lot of this centrist broadsheet valorisation about 'reaching across the divide' and how the younger generation needs to start building social relationships with people who disagree with us politically in order to challenge our preconceptions and heal our broken society, and none of it really takes into account just how loving tedious young Tories have been rendered by anti-PC culture and comedy.

I understand that to a Guardian columnist, reaching across the political divide involves some gentle Rory Stewart type who you sit down with over a bottle of Chablis to debate the free market, as opposed to 'noisy tosser who won't stop going on about pronouns, immigrants, blue hair, how shallow women are today on Hinge, or showing off his hilarious Team America impressions at you'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It wasn't actually opening his mouth that blew it, it was just the look of terror in his eyes
Yeah I was reminded of the glittering incident at conference when someone described his reaction as bluescreening. He just kind of froze and went 'welp, guess this is how I die.'

An apt summation of his approach to politics.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

grobbo posted:

I understand that to a Guardian columnist, reaching across the political divide involves some gentle Rory Stewart type who you sit down with over a bottle of Chablis to debate the free market, as opposed to 'noisy tosser who won't stop going on about pronouns, immigrants, blue hair, how shallow women are today on Hinge, or showing off his hilarious Team America impressions at you'

That's the entire premise of their "Dining Across the Divide" column, isn't it?
Except that most of the ones I've bothered reading are like "Yeah, it turns out they were an insufferable arsehole with opinions I could never tolerate".

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just go to the drat bar and get your beer like a normal person goons, your friendly bar staff ain't getting paid more to walk for you

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's good if you're on your own cos you don't lose your seat getting up

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kingturnip posted:

That's the entire premise of their "Dining Across the Divide" column, isn't it?
Except that most of the ones I've bothered reading are like "Yeah, it turns out they were an insufferable arsehole with opinions I could never tolerate".

it's hilarious because it's always like "we found a pink haired genderfluid '''male''' and paired him with a perfectly nice woman from Raciston" and it always comes down to the designated SJW being nuanced and thoughtful and the other one being like "not being racist like but black people keep dancing on the bus and it ruins my morning commute, only genocide will fix this"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jakabite posted:

Me too and I’m hosting an NYE party. Good thing I got some Bucky for Christmas.

I've got noro from visiting relatives over Christmas, even better.

The idea of even seeing a bottle of alcohol is almost enough to send me to another bout of vomiting and diarrhea (possibly both at once).

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

grobbo posted:

We get a lot of this centrist broadsheet valorisation about 'reaching across the divide' and how the younger generation needs to start building social relationships with people who disagree with us politically in order to challenge our preconceptions and heal our broken society, and none of it really takes into account just how loving tedious young Tories have been rendered by anti-PC culture and comedy.

Funnily enough it's always the young and left-wing who need to reach out, change themselves and moderate their beliefs, never the reverse.
🤔it's almost like the children are wrong.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
people i disagree with about politics generally are ignorant of keynesian economics and have poo poo for brains

there is no compromise to be had :confused:

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Celebrated NYE Sydney time with Aussie friends on account of having a 9month old. Getting ready for bed and looking forward to lurking a bit less in 24 and hoping all tories (incl Keith) eat poo poo next year. Be well, UKMT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Flux Wildly posted:

Celebrated NYE Sydney time with Aussie friends on account of having a 9month old. Getting ready for bed and looking forward to lurking a bit less in 24 and hoping all tories (incl Keith) eat poo poo next year.

Heck yeah, maybe 2024 be the year of more lurkers coming and posting with us, the UK Manga Thread.