Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Mischievous Mink posted:

The shortened raid times sound like the opposite of what I want out of the game, I don't get why they'd do that when arena exists for faster paced fighting now.

They always do this at the start of wipes, to reduce server load- it’ll get longer in a couple weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Mae posted:

They always do this at the start of wipes, to reduce server load- it’ll get longer in a couple weeks
I've never seen that. Granted, I tend to start late but still.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

giZm posted:

Raid times have been seriously shortened:
Factory 15 minutes
Customs/Woods 25 minutes
Reserve 27 minutes
Lighthouse/Labs 30 minutes
Interchange/Shoreline 35 minutes
Streets/Ground Zero 50 minutes

These don't seem to be what I'm getting in raid, I thought 25 minutes on woods sounded so dang short, but it was 40 minutes for me just now.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Still short raid times for me, might be level/quest progress related?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

giZm posted:

Still short raid times for me, might be level/quest progress related?

It says that in the menu, but if you actually go in a raid the time is longer.

Weirdoman
Jun 12, 2001

I was walking down the street when I saw a bovus. And then it hit me...I was hit by a bovus.
They also took suburbs and town off the map, guess they don't want to bother making those now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Weirdoman posted:

They also took suburbs and town off the map, guess they don't want to bother making those now.

People have been saying those will be the DLC zones now since we got other maps that weren’t in the original plan but I dunno how much of a game of telephone that is.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Weirdoman posted:

Wasn't Town between Streets and Lab? And if so, Town might just be Ground Zero.

tjones
May 13, 2005
all of the changes are dope. the new map is a lot smaller than i originally thought but still fun. i enjoyed playing last night but my patience is already being tested.

we encountered two blatants in a total of 6 raids last night. one sprint swung a door and headeyes'd both me and my mate that were sitting at opposite sides of the room in the split second it took for us to react to him swinging. missed zero shots. probably only wasted 4-5 m855 total.

another teleported to me at spawn while solo on ground zero and head eyes'd me just as the spawn screen fade was lifting. i didnt see it coming as i was already trying to tab to check inventory.

both were eod accounts. maybe my region is just dogshit. never change tarkov, lol.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Mischievous Mink posted:

It says that in the menu, but if you actually go in a raid the time is longer.
fix'd, thanks

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Things I still hate and turbo-hate: not being able to drop crafting stuff for my friends who are hunting for some unicorn spark plug.

BUT

Besides that, the new wipe's going well. I enjoy the Ground Zero as a map, I've had good raids with good performance, I like how semi-auto feels, and I like the new armor update. I think I might play this wipe. So far I've had lots of positive feelings.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Should i buy this game? Im itching to play an extraction shooter with a post-apocalyptic vibe but all that cheater talk is making me worry.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Aster0ids posted:

Should i buy this game? Im itching to play an extraction shooter with a post-apocalyptic vibe but all that cheater talk is making me worry.

The cheater talk is completely exaggerated, jump in now. This is a game where people have a hard time accepting their deaths.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
tarkov has a huge cheating problem but it also has a huge problem with people being bad and thinking anyone killing them is cheating

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've had very good luck not running into cheaters lately. Even at the end of last wipe when I was running meta guns with level 5 armor and a thermal just about every raid I only had one death I was sure was a cheater who laser beamed me at full auto through multiple layers of foliage in the dark.

Then the kill screen came up and it was just my good friend Sektant.

Its just really hard to know if the guy who killed you is cheating and a lot of people jump to conclusions.

tjones
May 13, 2005
You're gonna get deleted a lot regardless so if that bothers you or you can't quickly brush it off then maybe reconsider.

Tarkov has a hacking problem but other games are no different. If you don't mind getting your teeth kicked in regularly it's the best game as far as shooting/looting goes. There isn't another game out that gives a comparable dopamine hit.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Aster0ids posted:

There are sometimes blatant cheaters but no more than any other online game. Most of the loud online crying you see is about being suddenly killed by a person you never saw. Arena having killcams made me feel much better about all this as some deaths that would have felt suspicious just turned out to be unlucky.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Either my time with SPTarkpv has made me better, I'm very lucky, or the recoil system is far better because I'm having much more luck playing right now than previously.

Only 3-4 raids in I admit, but it feels great right now..

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

the new recoil is legitimately amazing

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Grabbed an airdrop as a scav and gave the Salewa in it to my buddy to help with questing. Wasn't until we got out that we realised nothing from the airdrop had FIR on it :negative:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
can't believe they took so long to do these recoil changes. it feels so fuckin good and anyone who turns around and starts saying full auto is too good or utters the phrase "laser beam" should be thrown out the airlock

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
It's been a while since I last played but the few raids I've done as a PMC on Ground Zero have loaded super fast. Probably the fastest I remember.

Been getting killed super fast too :banjo:

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

poe meater posted:

It's been a while since I last played but the few raids I've done as a PMC on Ground Zero have loaded super fast. Probably the fastest I remember.

Been getting killed super fast too :banjo:

I'm enjoying ground zero and the short que times. Trying to get the hard drive quest done there not so much. The combat feels so much better this wipe.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

tarkov has a huge cheating problem but it also has a huge problem with people being bad and thinking anyone killing them is cheating

Just be bad enough like me where the idea someone would need to cheat to kill me is preposterous.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Can I infer from the lack of discussion that the wipe update isn't mind-blowing?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Can I infer from the lack of discussion that the wipe update isn't mind-blowing?

I'd say that is incorrect, this is easily one of, if not the best update the game has got. The new recoil feels extremely nice, vaulting mostly works great (a few janky spots going up rocks but pretty solid), armour changes shake things up a lot, the snow is genuinely an amazing addition, night raids in the snow fuckin slap, and a bunch of other QoL additions like mag loading presets and poo poo, its all great. New map is a bit of a clusterfuck, but not an unfun clusterfuck, the Shoreline overhaul brings it more in line with what Lighthouse's terrain feels like, and not so bare as it was before.

Audio is still absolute toilet tho.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Is mind blowing. Can’t post.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Update is sick. Best Tarkov has been in a while.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

We're all busy playing. Can't talk.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Most of the discussion happens in the Discord server. IMO this is the best state the game's ever been in. Recoil feels great, the new armor system coupled with the ammo rebalancing is good, and I was pleasantly surprised that vaulting doesn't feel nearly as janky as I was expecting. The only thing I can really complain about is the audio which hasn't really improved at all since they switched to the new, but worse, audio engine a year ago.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Confirm audio is tripe..getting stomped solo by 2/3/4 man squads on the newbie map which seems silly..but having a blast.

tjones
May 13, 2005
ground zero would be better if there were more rotation options out of the terra building. if you spawn in garage or at the coop extract go ahead and pk and then plan for immediate violence because both emercom and empire are probably about to sandwich you.

snow is good and i wish there was a snow themed map all the time but woods is too drat bright and it hit during my woods quests so now i kinda hate it.

tjones fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 1, 2024

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Is the discord auth bot broken? Just tried doing '!authme' and nothing happened.

e: Someone did it manually for me i think :yayclod:

Rahu fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 31, 2023

Halborn
Nov 8, 2020

So a brittle blade will shatter before it bends, so a brittle soul will break before it turns.
How's the matching time? Did BSG do something to reduce it? Hearing about recoil and armor changes gave me an itch for playing again.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Snow is a really cool and overshadows all other aspects of the update.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Halborn posted:

How's the matching time? Did BSG do something to reduce it? Hearing about recoil and armor changes gave me an itch for playing again.

It's bad for me when I'm trying to scav factory since I guess that's popular to do? It's like 5 mins max otherwise in the like dozen or so regular games I've played so far

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

MuffinsAndPie posted:

It's bad for me when I'm trying to scav factory since I guess that's popular to do? It's like 5 mins max otherwise in the like dozen or so regular games I've played so far

SCAV factory matching is rough. It's often 8 minutes or failed to match for me. Matching for PMC has been good this wipe most raids take 1-3 minutes to match.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Halborn posted:

It's way better this wipe on PMC, just don't scav for another week or two probably imo.

God, the snow is so cool. I think it's just seasonal but I hope it makes it into the weather rotation at some point

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Shannow posted:

armour changes shake things up a lot

The new wipe is probably the best the game has ever been but this particular update feels like a miss in my opinion, it's a classic BSG overcomplication for something that needs to be simple for the sake of predictability and fairness. The best example I have from my time leveling up to 17 so far is when I got one-tapped in the chest by a single M855 bullet while wearing a level 4 armor. I sat there for several minutes trying to figure out what I was missing - damage from somewhere else, was my chest already hurt, etc - but nope, I was just one-tapped in the 85 HP chest by a bullet with 31 pen that does 57 damage while wearing level 4.

If they're going to make significant hitbox and armor changes like this they should be accompanied by a system that give more information to the player - something that shows how I took damage, like UI elements in the post-death screen showing exactly which hitbox in the chest I was hit, whether the bullet fragmented, etc. As it stands it just feels like more lovely, difficult and opaque gameplay systems designed for punishment. The game already has plenty of that lol providing more information to the player would just help us make better decisions about what type of armor we want to bring into the raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

The Clap posted:

I sat there for several minutes trying to figure out what I was missing - damage from somewhere else, was my chest already hurt, etc - but nope, I was just one-tapped in the 85 HP chest by a bullet with 31 pen that does 57 damage while wearing level 4.

I know, you know this, but the bullet just caught you in the pit and fragmented. It has a 50% chance of fragmenting! I feel like its obvious that you got shot and died. I just don't understand what the maybe's or confusing thing is here.

If it hit your armour, you would be alive today. That's how you know it didn't hit your armour.

I'm happy gear lords aren't god anymore. I'm having a lot of fun.

e: You can make informed decisions by trying to pick armour with more and more covered areas, in the item description. They tell you what they protect and how strong the armour is there.