Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I think I auto-failed every quest at Waukeen's Rest? I went in, did the normal dialogue, went to the left, found Zhenti, they attack me, kill them, pop into the Underdark from there. Then I do Underdark quests for a while. Eventually Wyll complains about how Waukeen's Rest went down and I'm like, sir, I have no idea what you're talking about. I eventually go back there and there's nothing of interest. Florrick? Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I think I auto-failed every quest at Waukeen's Rest? I went in, did the normal dialogue, went to the left, found Zhenti, they attack me, kill them, pop into the Underdark from there. Then I do Underdark quests for a while. Eventually Wyll complains about how Waukeen's Rest went down and I'm like, sir, I have no idea what you're talking about. I eventually go back there and there's nothing of interest. Florrick? Huh?

Did you not notice the flaming fists trying to break down the entrance to the flaming building? There were survivors in that building. Were.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yeah, I helped them break it down

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Yeah, I helped them break it down

Did you go in and actually rescue the survivors? Busting the door down and leaving won't help the situation.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Well I was gonna go back! I just got distracted. Anyway, do I have to do everything? How useless are the Flaming Fists then smh

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Well I was gonna go back! I just got distracted. Anyway, do I have to do everything? How useless are the Flaming Fists then smh

Lollin at the idea of a scatterbrained protagonist getting distracted halfway into a fire rescue by some unchecked box on a cart across the map as the victims burn to death

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I was excited to find a different way into the Underdark :) Cause the first way I went in was Selune's. First I went left and got stomped by a Spectator (which is not a Beholder??). Then I went straight and took down some minotaurs. But they were tough and I got scared the whole area was that hard so I went back to the surface

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Lollin at the idea of a scatterbrained protagonist getting distracted halfway into a fire rescue by some unchecked box on a cart across the map as the victims burn to death

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Hmm looks like the goblin party won't proc if all the goblins are dead. Not sure what I expected.

It does mean that Minthara is still standing there in Zevlor's hideout telling me we'll 'celebrate our victory'. No we won't honey.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mr. Lobe posted:

We’ve all been there.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Morrow posted:

It's the boots that cause the condition. If you want to stack even more, there's a set of lightning robes that also provide some minor buffs for lightning charges.

It's not a late game broken build (unless you have a spotter with phalar aluve, which can add 1d4 Thunder per hit in its radius) but like throwing it comes online early and stays effective.

Boots of Stormy Clamor add Reverberation when inflicting a creature with another condition, so the game is treating lightning as a condition here, which is great but not how I understood it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Hmm, maybe I'll respec Shadowheart to Tempest so that she can be my Phalar Aluve wench all game and also get some benefit herself.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I do think Honour Mode was supposed to fix a lot of the DRS madness.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Perry Mason Jar posted:

How useless are the Flaming Fists then smh

[Baldurian] Well,

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Finally got into the city with my resisting Durge and I finally get why you are all saying it should have been the regular main character. I always felt like the plot just kind of flies at you at the end of act 2 and into act 3 and with a Durge the pieces fit so much better. Even the little character scenes are so great.

Astarion: when you tell him you’re a Bhallspawn his little speech about how you’re more alike than he thought was so good.

Jaheira: the camp scene where she watches you sleep is rad.

Another Jaheira scene I didn’t see my first time that I loved, not Durge-related but with Lae’zel: she pledges to help Lae’zel fight Vlaakith not for “political reasons” but because “she was just so loud.” Jaheira is the best.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

My preferred tactic of playing through Tactician is twincasting Haste with my sorcerer hiding in a corner and then letting everybody else run up to all the nefarious villains and beat the everloving poo poo out of them.

Also:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

EorayMel posted:

My preferred tactic of playing through Tactician is twincasting Haste with my sorcerer hiding in a corner and then letting everybody else run up to all the nefarious villains and beat the everloving poo poo out of them.

Then you get to act 3 and realise that 2 levels of spore Druid will let you give your entire party haste as a bonus action.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

Then you get to act 3 and realise that 2 levels of spore Druid will let you give your entire party haste as a bonus action.

Yeah but then I'd have to play as a stupid smelly druid and the last thing I want is any more association with Halsin.

Unless it is Vinesauce Vinny's character:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

unfortunately, this requires wearing a frankly not very good piece of light armor, has a teeny tiny effect range, only lasts for a single turn if you move out of the cloud, and can only be used once per long rest

if you've built optimally on tactician you only need the 3 turns of a potion of speed anyways

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
There's a brain worm haste cloud too that's a bonus action if you got zaith'iskd sufficiently

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Haste potions are honestly probably the best option because encounters are rarely lost past the first couple rounds and there's no chance of it breaking early.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Vermain posted:

unfortunately, this requires wearing a frankly not very good piece of light armor, has a teeny tiny effect range, only lasts for a single turn if you move out of the cloud, and can only be used once per long rest

if you've built optimally on tactician you only need the 3 turns of a potion of speed anyways

Haste Spores and Mind Sanctuary on Honour mode create an extra action loop because neither surfac inflicts lethargic if you move in and out of the AOEs.

You don’t need to be a Druid to do this since it’s craftable but it’s something they overlooked when they made the Action Economy changes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Vermain posted:

The armor is adequate for an archer - if you do 6 sword bard, 2 spore Druid, 4 fighter for eg you can create a godly archer with sharpshooter who can put a crap ton of damage out.

You can more back into the cloud to get the effect again (but you won’t need to, because you really should be finishing pretty much every fight in one round at that point in the game) and the radius doesn’t matter because you can just move people through it. It’s better than wasting an action on haste. It also doesn’t cause lethargy.

And let’s face it, you can long rest whenever you want.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Boots of Stormy Clamor add Reverberation when inflicting a creature with another condition, so the game is treating lightning as a condition here, which is great but not how I understood it.

What's actually enabling this interaction from the way it's described is the Gloves of Belligerent Skies (inflict Reverb whenever you deal Thunder, Lightning, or Radiant damage) which are great (especially if you have something else riding on inflicting conditions, or if your party forces a lot of physical saving throws) but also not available until the Githyanki Crèche

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
does Honour mode change XP availability? I'm quite a ways into Act 3 and still level 10 so you either get to max level 12 later than I recalled or Honour mode has different XP.

kinda reminded why focusing on level 12 builds are overkill when you spend 80-90% of the game not at level 12

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

does Honour mode change XP availability? I'm quite a ways into Act 3 and still level 10 so you either get to max level 12 later than I recalled or Honour mode has different XP.

kinda reminded why focusing on level 12 builds are overkill when you spend 80-90% of the game not at level 12

I had an HM run that I got to the start of Act 3 before rerolling and I believe I was already level 10 by that point so it felt pretty normal to me?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I could just be misremembering, my recollection is you hit level 12 about half or a little more the way through act 3

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

The Lord Bude posted:

And let’s face it, you can long rest whenever you want.

You can, but that's not a fun way to play the game for some people.

I actually like the challenge of winning fights when I can't rely on long-rest actions and my casters are running low on spell-slots. It's somewhat broken me of my habit of hoarding consumables "just in case." Except for arrows. I don't really have an archer in my party, so I still don't use those as much as I probably should. The smart thing to do would be to use those arrows and just about any other consumable you get early in Act 1, and maybe on my next go-round I'll remember to do that. I am in late Act 3, with a bunch of "grenades" I pulled off of the nautiloid clogging up my camp inventory.

I totally understand the desire to figure out new ways to use the systems the game provides to eliminate enemies in a single round, it's just not the thing that motivates me to play the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I usually hit Level 12 shortly after getting through Wyrm's Crossing. Maybe take a couple more steps into the murder conspiracy plot and I'm there. Obviously there's a lot you can miss, especially if many of your prospective questgivers are dead.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
256 hours in, just found out there's a morgue under the House of Healing and it sure isn't a tiny area.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TraderStav posted:

256 hours in, just found out there's a morgue under the House of Healing and it sure isn't a tiny area.

I've played for 450 hours and I'm on my third single player playthrough and I just found the big fight between the Guild and Stone Lord goons by the cult ship in Rivington. Didn't realize I'd missed out on 3 parasite specimens! (act 3)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

TraderStav posted:

Is that the one full of poison gas that gives you disadvantage on die rolls so if youre not in combat it doesn't matter but your party still refuses to walk through it so you have to manually guide them all through it one at a time? cos I hate that poo poo

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Is that the one full of poison gas that gives you disadvantage on die rolls so if youre not in combat it doesn't matter but your party still refuses to walk through it so you have to manually guide them all through it one at a time? cos I hate that poo poo

You only need to get one party member across the gas cloud in the morgue to the room at the other end.

You can set your party just outside of range of the gas and plink away at enemies using ranged attacks. Easy fight.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm not saying the fight wasn't easy

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I read about 5 pages but missed any discussion on the topic so sorry if this has been repeated a lot.

I just bought BG3 and I'm wondering what a good first character would be. I usually go Paladin for DnD games but since this game is very very story heavy I've heard that could really limit me. A bard would be good for that but from what I remember they're pretty weak. I find fighters pretty boring and pure casters too difficult. Cleric is good but I don't know if they have the dialog issues that Paladins have. I don't like multiclassing. I've been out of the DnD game thing for a few years.

Any ideas for a character for simple first time playthrough?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bards are good now

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I was being a smartass and picking all the spells that don't have scrolls to min max my spell list and save money scribing all my evocation spells, but I still haven't seen a single magic missile scroll yet and I'm up to Ethel. :(

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I read about 5 pages but missed any discussion on the topic so sorry if this has been repeated a lot.

I just bought BG3 and I'm wondering what a good first character would be. I usually go Paladin for DnD games but since this game is very very story heavy I've heard that could really limit me. A bard would be good for that but from what I remember they're pretty weak. I find fighters pretty boring and pure casters too difficult. Cleric is good but I don't know if they have the dialog issues that Paladins have. I don't like multiclassing. I've been out of the DnD game thing for a few years.

Any ideas for a character for simple first time playthrough?

Half-Orc or Halfling Barbarian. You don't have to worry about magic or spells whatsoever, just pop Rage and run in front of people and cut them down with big axes. Also don't need to worry about armor that much.

Also Barbarians get the best dialogue of any class.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 31, 2023

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Yeah, not sure what the lever did in that one room, assumed it unlocked the 30 DC door, but that didn't. So got lucky that my thief saved a poison ST and brute forced it with 10 thieves kits. Feel like I missed a puzzle for that room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also the only appropriate way to play Paladin is to go Oathbreaker(kill the first innocent/nonthreatening people you encounter ASAP) while you're the Dark Urge origin