Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah my biggest complaint aside from the payout for leylines and drops not feeling high enough at WL8 is that they've got characters but they've built the game in a way that they don't exist most of the time. If you're not doing a story quest, an event, putting them in your teapot or a hangout, then they might as well be folklore. If Noelle's so hardworking, put 30 of her around Mondstadt doing various tasks like hacking away at a tree for lumber or mining rocks or something. Show Albedo and Klee at Good Hunter getting lunch, make a new Lisa model of her asleep at the desk in the library, etc.
They've done a good job at making the world feel alive by having a bunch of NPCs go through thru their own story arcs in daily commissions, but drat there are so many characters you can play as you only encounter for like a minute. Razor stands out, because he doesn't have a hangout and you're just with him for like half an hour at the very beginning of the game. Other times they give a lot of highlight to characters, like Sucrose and Collei having a really cute friendship blossoming because they're both introverts but that's behind an event that only existed for three weeks

Then there's other characters like, Kirara who I don't think has been in an event, a story mission, or even a patch event except being mentioned recently by another character who isn't even out yet designing her costume and our character is like "Oh, you designed Kirara's costume!" even though we've got absolutely no reason to have met her yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Kirara was a part of the Genius Invokation TCG event, she was acting as unwitting delivery for the criminals or whatever.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

which gave us this moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGUjMhG1miY

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

They've done a good job at making the world feel alive by having a bunch of NPCs go through thru their own story arcs in daily commissions, but drat there are so many characters you can play as you only encounter for like a minute. Razor stands out, because he doesn't have a hangout and you're just with him for like half an hour at the very beginning of the game. Other times they give a lot of highlight to characters, like Sucrose and Collei having a really cute friendship blossoming because they're both introverts but that's behind an event that only existed for three weeks

Then there's other characters like, Kirara who I don't think has been in an event, a story mission, or even a patch event except being mentioned recently by another character who isn't even out yet designing her costume and our character is like "Oh, you designed Kirara's costume!" even though we've got absolutely no reason to have met her yet

She was in the Sumeru TCG event that got everyone hyped for Fontaine by also introducing Charlotte and letting us know we were finally going to have a Cryo catalyst character.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Also I believe the only time you could do this, so far

https://i.imgur.com/PuS2e8w.mp4

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Incoherence posted:

It heavily revolves around something that happens in the last section of the archon quest.

Ah poo poo. Glad to know that - thanks. I’ll keep trucking on the archon quests then.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

That's a good idea too, especially to just spice up all the generic kill x enemy commissions. It'd be neat if they had another off-patch like this one and decided to completely rehaul commissions and make them more engaging, varied, and less annoying for anyone trying to collect achievements

I think Genshin does a pretty good job at world-building, but imo they should have playable characters a little more involved in commissions. The newer mondstat commissions have one focused around Mona, and another where you can meet Bennett and Fischl and it would've been cool if they did that more often just to see what people are up to.

Like, I just did Gorou's hangout for the first time and I was completely neutral on him before but it was such a fun hangout to do that I'd like to see him in the world more often. Like a daily commission where you help him write replies for his column. I'd prefer that way more than those dummies writing a manga and wasting my time.

My kid's account has a bunch of eternally unfinished quests and one of them involves Sucrose hanging around the alchemy bench in Monstadt, so you see her standing there all the time. I don't even like Sucrose but it really adds a bit of extra flavor to the world that I wish they did deliberately.

Game has way too much focus on faceless, forgettable NPCs in general. I don't really care to hear the 400th life story of generic_sumeru_commoner_male_01, who I will never again remember 5 minutes after talking to them. Give me more interactions with the playable cast, who are already spread way too thin thanks to the nature of gacha.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Chevreuse really seems to be an attempt to tackle three problems at the same time. Overload being kind of bad because of anti-grouping (she has reverse knockback like Yelan's skill), Bennett being the best pyro buffer/healer since launch (providing % damage buff instead of raw ATK power), and VV being the best option support element for the original non-geo elements (her A1 talent).

Yanfei with EM Beidou and Chevreuse sounds like it could work as a 4 star core. Ranged attacks triggering Overload with Yanfei's excellent tracking on her normal attacks eliminates one of the biggest annoyances with Overload at least. Beidou's ult also helps Yanfei's low stagger resistance.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwTR4gTEwzw

:shepicide: C7. Ah well at least Birdonetta is guaranteed.

The game KNOWS you have the C6, and always gives you that drat character. Even the standard banner gives me Keqing since I C6ed her.

If I pull Chevreusse and Yoimiya, it'll ruin Navia's place in my friendship team.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Vargs posted:

Game has way too much focus on faceless, forgettable NPCs in general. I don't really care to hear the 400th life story of generic_sumeru_commoner_male_01, who I will never again remember 5 minutes after talking to them. Give me more interactions with the playable cast, who are already spread way too thin thanks to the nature of gacha.

I mean I agree and it's why I don't do story quests anymore, but this seems to be a minority opinion. Having one note with no stakes is not enough to make me care. I'm not saying all the stories focused on the main cast are good, but when Yoimiya shows up in the current event I have context for who Yoimiya is. Most of the time it's like watching a movie and having an extra credited as Man Reading Newspaper be the central focus then never giving him any meaningful context beyond that.

To give credit where it's due, Sumeru did have Jeht. Story quality is subjective but at least she had an arc.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Hyper Inferno posted:

Chevreuse really seems to be an attempt to tackle three problems at the same time. Overload being kind of bad because of anti-grouping (she has reverse knockback like Yelan's skill), Bennett being the best pyro buffer/healer since launch (providing % damage buff instead of raw ATK power), and VV being the best option support element for the original non-geo elements (her A1 talent).

Yanfei with EM Beidou and Chevreuse sounds like it could work as a 4 star core. Ranged attacks triggering Overload with Yanfei's excellent tracking on her normal attacks eliminates one of the biggest annoyances with Overload at least. Beidou's ult also helps Yanfei's low stagger resistance.

Don't get scammed, Chevy doesn't actually improve overload damage in any way. You'll want to use all of the dps team members on their regular attack/damage/crit builds. But Yanfei should be a good driver for these

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF0dFnY9K5w

always blown away by the talent in hoyo fanmade animations

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Hoyofair's always got some great stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvbiG9brFRg

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

rio posted:

For those that have done Navia’s companion quest, I’m wondering if I’m ok to do it where I am in the story. I’ve gotten up through the second archon quest (I think - it ended with us at Navia’s father’s grave after Childe’s trial ). I’ve been enjoying the archon quests but dreading the prison part everyone talks about because slogs really turn me off (one reason I had waited so long to even start the archon quests) and would prefer to see more Navia content. Just want to make sure if it is or isn’t going to drop major spoilers for later parts of the archon quest.
Can you even do it? I thought story quests get locked by prereqs.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Excelzior posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF0dFnY9K5w

always blown away by the talent in hoyo fanmade animations

Yeah, I watched this one earlier today. What a terrific pairing too, putting those two characters together never would have occurred to me

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The same channel's albedo cyberpunk and kung-fu (arknights?) videos are great too - some top-notch fight choreography.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

No Wave posted:

Can you even do it? I thought story quests get locked by prereqs.

Idk I didn’t even check. I learned the hard way to just leave character story quests alone until the moment I want to do all of them since I got quest locked so many times with “this npc is busy” lol. I have a bunch of world quest exclamation marks for that reason too and have been sitting on max quest keys like forever now. It goes against the way I would normally play a game (unlock stuff and then decide what to do) but this way I don’t need to manically change between quests when I want to just focus on one for the meantime.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

In the last (?) big update, they started letting you "unlock" character quests with the keys but not "activate" them, which was a great QOL improvement.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

sushibandit posted:

In the last (?) big update, they started letting you "unlock" character quests with the keys but not "activate" them, which was a great QOL improvement.

Oh poo poo - I didn’t know that. There were a lot of nice QoL upgrades so I’m glad they added that too! Now I don’t have to sit on my keys anymore.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Some thoughts and math regarding Bennet compared to Chevreuse (and other supports):

Bennett at level 90 has 191 base attack, and depending on which sword you give him will range from 454 - 674 more attack (lowest 4* sword ATK to highest 5* sword attack).

Assuming C6 Bennett with crowned Level 10, this means he gives anywhere from between 897 to 1202 additional attack stat, plus 15% pyro damage bonus to melee characters.

Chevreuse at C6 (this isn't an entirely fair comparison because lots of day 1 players will probably have C6 Bennett by now and don't particularly want to roll on her banner) will need some combination of flat HP and 294% bonus HP from sources to max out her A2 (subtracting out the guaranteed 4780 from a maxed flower) for 40% attack. There's an easy 46% from sands and another 46% from Black Tassel, but the remainder 202% will be harder to find. If you go all in on support, there's another 46% on goblet and circlet, so you'll only need to get 110% more HP from somewhere (13158 raw HP). This will tank her personal damage, while Bennett could in theory still run standard offensive artifact mainstat and substat pieces for a medium to strong nuke on his burst and skill.

Anyway, if you max out that HP bonus, that's equivalent to around 258 - 346 extra attack on the Bennett from above. On a 5* like Yoimiya or Lyney (who have 318 and 322 base attack respectively, with 4 and 5* bows ranging from 454 - 674 attack), this is about 309 to 398 extra attack. At the other end of 5* attack values is Hu Tao with 106 + 454 (Dragon's Bane) - 608 (Staff of Homa) - 740 (Calamity Queller; highest atk polearm) for 224 - 286 - 338 bonus attack. Chevreuse also provides 40% pyro/electro shred (something Bennett teams would need an additional anemo character for, but she's element locked to provide that shred), and 60% pyro/electro elemental bonus. She doesn't rely on talent level, a circle, or snapshots either to continually provide her buffs. If she's C0, she loses the 60% elemental damage bonus. She does need artifact main stat and substat rolls to get her to that HP threshold. I think the combination of the shred and elemental damage buff probably closes the gap for her and Bennett, but you can also just run both honestly.

And that's one of the problems I think with Bennett, you can pair him with a lot of the other specialized supports and he pairs really well because they often provide % bonus damage or % crit damage which pairs really well with Bennett's flat attack bonus.

So basically yeah, like we already knew, Bennett's flat attack stat buff is busted. On top of that, he requires little RNG investment and doesn't care about the quality of weapon/base attack stat on your other characters to provide its value. Now with HP scalers, EM scalers, and to a lesser extent, less snapshot off-field ults, teams are finally escaping Bennett's dominance.

My personal theory is that Bennett's character design was just not very appealing for testers to try out during the betas so he escaped those unnerfed because no one was spending their limited time in the betas on him. And as mentioned before, on paper the ult splitting the attack buff/healing depending on the HP threshold sounds too unreliable to really use.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Zhongli namedropping Qiaoying Village and Chenyu Vale in his birthday mail. Cheeky bugger...

Kale
May 14, 2010

If Chevreuse actual utility is exactly like her trials I don't see myself using her much at all if ever. 15 second cool down on a skill that hits once and doesn't really seem to do a whole lot if any real damage, otherwise a pole user with a generic attack string and what seems like a burst that does a fire version of Yaoyao's burst. Yeah I don't know......she seems really loving useless even by 4 star standards. This is looking to be one of the more severe power gaps between the 4 and 5 star for a given patch that I can recall.

Playing in Japanese, Saori Hayami finally getting to do some bread and butter Saori Hayami character stuff with Ayaka was pretty great to see, even if it's all just for a character in a movie. I think this is the most personality they've allowed the character to show in an event since she debuted way back in version 2.0

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 31, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kale posted:

If Chevreuse actual utility is exactly like her trials I don't see myself using her much at all if ever. 15 second cool down on a skill that hits once and doesn't really seem to do a whole lot if any real damage, otherwise a pole user with a generic attack string and what seems like a burst that does a fire version of Yaoyao's burst. Yeah I don't know......she seems really loving useless even by 4 star standards. This is looking to be one of the more severe power gaps between the 4 and 5 star for a given patch that I can recall.
She's absolutely nothing like her trials, because the trials don't put her in a Pyro-Electro team, which is the entire point of her kit.

Kale
May 14, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

She's absolutely nothing like her trials, because the trials don't put her in a Pyro-Electro team, which is the entire point of her kit.

Yeah I'm actually just reading up on what her kit is actually supposed to do now and she's missing basically everything that is supposed to make it function in being paired with Ayaka in the trial for it. I don't think she'll be super great regardless, but she can't even take advantage of her buffs that way.

No wonder they're putting her on the Raiden Shogun/Yoimiya banner though since she'll automatically get buffs to her E-Skill by having Raiden's E-Skill active and will make them better in the process theoretically. She seems like she's meant to be in a very specific party of Yoimiya/Raiden/Sara/Chevreuse where there's a potential for +60 Percent Crit Electro Crit damage+40% Electro Res debuff+60% Mussou def ignore and buffs to Yoimiya's E-Skill as well I suppose. Probably why they're all on the same banner.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 31, 2023

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Tampa Bae posted:

maybe someday Mihoyo will realize Sara actually exists

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just finished grinding my way through all of the hangouts after ignoring them since pre-Inazuma. Itto may be a bit one-note but his appearances were still the highlight of these things. It's difficult not to smile when he's on-screen. Yae loving with Gorou was also good.

Worst part was being subjected to a dangerously concentrated amount of Layla's EN voice performance. She's a lot less painful to listen to during the couple scenes where she isn't doing...that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

halokiller posted:

maybe someday Mihoyo will realize Sara actually exists
my favorite thing about sara is that there's a generic npc kujou clan member who is in raiden, kazuha, *and* ayato's story quests, and sara is mentioned in none of them

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Oh so this is new. You can see what artifact sets other people use.

Surprised to see the playerbase has already moved on to a more modern Fischl while I've been left behind with ye olde Fischl build. I can't control what artifacts I get. :argh:

Also I noticed Furina's burst increases your incoming healing bonus in the stat menu so you can tell how much fanfare she accumulated by checking the active characters stats. If you crowned Furina's burst then it's 30.0% incoming healing = 300 Fanfare. Just useful so you can get an idea how much fanfare Furina actually accumulates because when you heal does matter. Ideally you want everyone as low as possible right before her burst and then heal the party at the start of her burst to maximize the fanfare damage bonus.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

All the quality of life stuff is nice, especially with artifacts but all I want is a way to mark artifacts for pulping when I get them. Having to meticulously pick 5* artifacts when upgrading others is a huge pain.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean, do what you want (and the UI should make either option as painless as possible) but I feel like it's almost always better to do the 3-to-1 reroll for 5-star artifacts than to feed them to other artifacts for a pittance of XP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for the love of god do not use 5* artifacts for exp

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why? Like I'm gonna need that %Def %HP HP Atk Def Maiden sands for anything.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
The are probably saying its better to use the bad 5* to strongbox them into random new ones. I personally use them as more artie experience since I already have over 400 arties pending to roll and don't need to add even more to the pile.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

You recycle them on the artifact benches to sets you CAN use. There are loads of good options, now.

Sanctum posted:

Surprised to see the playerbase has already moved on to a more modern Fischl while I've been left behind with ye olde Fischl build. I can't control what artifacts I get. :argh:

Woah! Same. I still have her on 2 piece TF 2 piece atk set. The sub stats on those are so good nothing I've rolled from GT compares.

quote:

Chevreuse talk

I think her teams will play like taser teams, except being pyro driven instead of anemo driven.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 31, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have to swap Golden Troupe pieces around because I don't have enough yet since I'm still using Furina but I don't think I'll ever get a better feather than this.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

I have to swap Golden Troupe pieces around because I don't have enough yet since I'm still using Furina but I don't think I'll ever get a better feather than this.

Triple crowned Fischl! Love to see it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

strongbox

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You recycle them on the artifact benches to sets you CAN use. There are loads of good options, now.

I don't know, I'd much rather blow a bunch of useless 5* artifacts leveling up something that's likely to be useful rather than spend them on getting something equally useless of another set. Not that I haven't done the latter but the priority is leveling up potentially good artifacts even if it means trashing crap 5* ones for them.

Endorph posted:

strongbox

Not all sets are available there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the chance of a good artifact is way more worth it than a tiny pittance of exp

and you at least get to pick the set rather than being subject to rng on which of the two sets it is

every 3 5* artifacts is basically worth 15 stamina. is that worth like 1/10th of an artifact level to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
I've geared at least 5 characters 100% with gear I've gotten from the strongbox lmao

And in total, strongbox gear has gone to.... 20 characters I think :eyepop:

Just do it...! Put it in the fates box if you got nothing better to do...!!