Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
So I'm getting the impression that I'll be using my 3080 10GB until the 7080 comes out, at which point I'll score a used 6080 for 2x its launch MSRP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Those 4080 super specs make it seem like if the non supers get a decent discount they’d be a good buy since it isn’t much of a difference.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 4080 Super is only going to give a tiny boost to performance. The rumor was that it was actually going to get a price drop from the regular 4080, down to $999 MSRP, while the other Super cards are going to be more noticeably better while maintaining the original models' MSRP. I'm skeptical but we'll see.

The 4070 Super could be good too, but the lack of any kind of increase to bandwidth is going to limit the performance gains, I feel like. It's not going to be the 25% boost that the specs show on paper.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 30, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD must be setting some kind of record for slowest generation rollout with them only just getting around to the 7600XT over a year after RDNA3 debuted

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm skeptical but we'll see.

Me too. Nvidia don't have a lot of motivation to sell their silicon at a discount considering the enormous margins they're making on data centre products. More competitors are moving into the AI hardware space so they can't count on maintaining such high profits for much longer. It makes sense for them to focus on that segment meaning less supply for the gaming side of things. Substantially lowering the price of GPUs doesn't seem likely in that context.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

repiv posted:

the most important thing is to cap your framerate just below the monitors max refresh rate, but you're not likely to exceed 240fps in most games anyway

Capping via control panel doesn't seem to work, IME.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SlowBloke posted:

Those CHF prices were equivalent to the non super price, hopefully the non super stocks gets some discounts.

They were just placeholders, the actual price almost certainly isn't is stone yet. They've changed the pricing sometimes hours before they've released them. I'd expect the same msrp but :shrug:

Non supers are out of production except the 4070, so there will be no MSRP discount. That said, some retailers will probably have fire sales. If your thinking about a non super, be ready to move fast.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PirateBob posted:

Works On My Machine™

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I also turn off vsync in games and cap it in the nvidia control panel instead, and that works fine for me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PirateBob posted:

Which drivers? It would be quite surprising but I guess not impossible for a vendor to break rate limiting.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Lockback posted:

That said, some retailers will probably have fire sales. If your thinking about a non super, be ready to move fast.

Yeah, to really stress this, Best Buy had really great fire sales on a few of the FEs, plus some non-FE, when we went from the 3080/Ti/3090/Ti over to the 4080 and 4090, to where I think the 3080 Ti could be had for around $650-700 and the 4090/Ti were in the $750-800 range. Obviously these sold out really quickly, but still, I could see the 4080 and 4070 Ti getting that treatment again.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Can anyone with an AMD 7000 series GPU do me a solid and help with an AMD Reward activation I got off ebay? Thought my CPU would do the trick but apparently not :(

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ijyt posted:

Can anyone with an AMD 7000 series GPU do me a solid and help with an AMD Reward activation I got off ebay? Thought my CPU would do the trick but apparently not :(

I can try. It’ll be 20-30 minutes before I can though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kazinsal posted:

So I'm getting the impression that I'll be using my 3080 10GB until the 7080 comes out, at which point I'll score a used 6080 for 2x its launch MSRP.

Same, I got my 3080Ti after the 4xxx was out for a little less. Still seems pretty good for ultrawide 1440!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's interesting that we ran into fan discussion when I'm thinking of fans.

I had one of the Apaltek AIOs that got recalled after a few incidents where my 3700X was TMax throttling and replaced it with a Thermalright Assassin King because it actually fit the rather low clearances of the original O11 Dynamic, and I'm thinking I'll just sell my sealed new replacement rad. It's just that the included ARGB fan is quite loud and I was wondering if the Arctic might be a good pick to strap onto the tower fins, or if I should try one of the Fractal fans from my recalled cooler (Fractal didn't require the fans or packaging other than the radiator).

It needs to be :catdrugs: because I have lit up fans, case lights, mousepad, etc. Only caveat is no Corsair because I'm a Razer simp.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Full specs confirmed. Have a nice comparison table:

The 4070 Super seems to get the most extra cores but I'm not sure if it'll make it the best $/perf afterwards. Will probably have to wait and see just a bit

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

The 4070 Super seems to get the most extra cores but I'm not sure if it'll make it the best $/perf afterwards. Will probably have to wait and see just a bit

If it stays at the 4070S originally MSRP of $599 it'll be a killer deal. The competitor in that range is the 6950XT and assuming a 20% uplift it'll be faster, have all the nvidia features, and draw 150w less. It'll also be much easier to justify the price increase over the 7800XT, as it would be similar price/performance with all the regular nvidia advantages.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
something interesting I picked up from Gamers Nexus covering the Intel frame generation whitepaper is that they're doing extrapolation and not interpolation, which has some interesting implications for the added latency that current DLSS 3 and FMF approaches incur

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

BurritoJustice posted:

If it stays at the 4070S originally MSRP of $599 it'll be a killer deal. The competitor in that range is the 6950XT and assuming a 20% uplift it'll be faster, have all the nvidia features, and draw 150w less. It'll also be much easier to justify the price increase over the 7800XT, as it would be similar price/performance with all the regular nvidia advantages.

Which is why I remain incredibly skeptical it'll be at that MSRP. Nvidia has still, seemingly, been selling a lot of 4070s and 4070Tis at the current price, and most places struggled to keep the 4090 in stock even before it got out that it was The Ultimate Generative Algorithm Machine. With the 4070 still in production, by all reports, even with a formal MSRP drop (rather than the informal one implemented by basically every single AiB partner and retailer), Nvidia has no reason to potentially kneecap sales of a part that's not even a year old on the market.

I'm still calling that the 4070S going to be $649 MSRP at least, if not $699. The 4070 normal will get a cut to $549, and the 4070Ti S and 4080S will replace their parts (as reported) and MSRPs fully to seem like better "deals".

No I am not trying to cope a little with having bought a 4070 normal already, even at the pretty good deal price of $515

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
So it looks like the AMD drivers don't play nice with Libre Office, causing it to crash every now and then. You can change LO to software only rendering though. Took me a while to figure that out. Thanks (again) AMD.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

So it looks like the AMD drivers don't play nice with Libre Office, causing it to crash every now and then. You can change LO to software only rendering though. Took me a while to figure that out. Thanks (again) AMD.

This isn't likely just a Radeon issue as I've seen similar for all kinds of people through the past year, many did not have Radeon cards.

Like many FOSS projects, LO runs as intended in a FOSS infrastructure (i.e. Linux) and the Windows version is a hanger-on. In addition to the Stallmanites who think you should be grateful that someone is releasing flunky code for free for your non-free operating system, LO might just be an overworked/underfunded project. I know Red Hat decided to remove it from their repos this year, which allows them to point the fingers at the LO devs and say "blame them" when Enterprise Linux customers find something doesn't work.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
der8auer posted a video today talking about 12VHPWR and how it + the 4090 is always going to be a problem because the 12VHPWR cable is only going to be rated for 660w at best, where a theoretical 4x 8-pin PCIe layout could handle as much as 860 to 1150w from how overbuilt the older spec is

He also referenced an old experiment he did where he tried to power a 2080Ti with a single 6-pin power connector and it worked because again, the older spec has a much higher capacity and safety margin for wattage.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, to really stress this, Best Buy had really great fire sales on a few of the FEs, plus some non-FE, when we went from the 3080/Ti/3090/Ti over to the 4080 and 4090, to where I think the 3080 Ti could be had for around $650-700 and the 4090/Ti were in the $750-800 range. Obviously these sold out really quickly, but still, I could see the 4080 and 4070 Ti getting that treatment again.

I would bet this happened because they manufactured way too many FE cards during the crypto boom whereas now most 4080s are out of stock because NVIDIA saw this coming and stopped manufacturing them early enough. Quite possible for the 4070 and 4070 Ti, which still are still easy to find.

gradenko_2000 posted:

der8auer posted a video today talking about 12VHPWR and how it + the 4090 is always going to be a problem because the 12VHPWR cable is only going to be rated for 660w at best, where a theoretical 4x 8-pin PCIe layout could handle as much as 860 to 1150w from how overbuilt the older spec is

He also referenced an old experiment he did where he tried to power a 2080Ti with a single 6-pin power connector and it worked because again, the older spec has a much higher capacity and safety margin for wattage.

It is a really great video so I'm going to link it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0fW5SLFphU

Anybody with a 4090 should definitely watch, especially if you are crazy enough to overclock it and raise the power limit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i get his point but it seems a bit disingenuous to compare to 4x8pin setups that were only ever found on HOF meme cards built for setting LN2 records, typically you'd get 2x8pin or maybe 3x8pin on higher end SKUs

the kind of card that would have used 4x8pin is now using 2x12VHPWR which puts the theoretical safe limit in the same ballpark

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 1, 2024

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

24vdc graphics card power when?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

repiv posted:

i get his point but it seems a bit disingenuous to compare to 4x8pin setups that were only ever found on HOF meme cards built for setting LN2 records, typically you'd get 2x8pin or maybe 3x8pin on higher end SKUs

My radeon 6800 has 3x8 pin for some ridiculous reason. Enormous safety magin

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MrYenko posted:

24vdc graphics card power when?

just go straight to 48v, I think cars are starting to do that now

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Gonna try this with my GPU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

pyrotek posted:

I would bet this happened because they manufactured way too many FE cards during the crypto boom whereas now most 4080s are out of stock because NVIDIA saw this coming and stopped manufacturing them early enough. Quite possible for the 4070 and 4070 Ti, which still are still easy to find.

It is a really great video so I'm going to link it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0fW5SLFphU

Anybody with a 4090 should definitely watch, especially if you are crazy enough to overclock it and raise the power limit.
til thermal grizzly have a gpu cable adapter that's fairly similar to evga's powerlink:

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/wire-view-gpu/s-tg-wv-p38h1n

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TheFluff posted:

just go straight to 48v, I think cars are starting to do that now

Agreed, 48V makes the most sense to me. A lot of server PSUs provide this already. Can even up it to 56V like a lot of server stuff does already.

GPGPUs on OCP OAMs already take 48/56V!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

GPU Megat[H]read - you will certainly not regret 67 amps

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

I ranted about 12VO and I stand by this

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

New PC = New psu so what's the problem here?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, I don't get the gripe about getting a new ~$100 PSU for a $1000+ graphics card.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Huge bother to redo all the cabling

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lord Stimperor posted:

Huge bother to redo all the cabling

Unless you have special cases to cover, the average big gpu user has a main ATX, an auxiliary EPS cable and the GPU power cables. It's not a giant number of wires to redo.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
In 20 years of PC building, I've upgraded my graphics card without building an entire new PC along with it only once.

The people who are swapping out graphics cards every generation aren't going to care about an extra $100 or $200 for a new PSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I don't get the gripe about getting a new ~$100 PSU for a $1000+ graphics card.

My lizard brain likes $1000 gpu because number go up. It doesn't like $100 psu because it doesn't see number go up, ignoring that the psu is needed for the gpu to make number go up.