Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Booty Pageant posted:

i'm more of a ito yokado shopper

man i'd love to do a japanese bonfire new years again

I only go to Seijoishi for harder to find stuff like chevre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
sorry i slacked off last year guys but i swear i'll do better this year!!!

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Happy New Year!!!!!

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

It's not in my timezone yet, but oh lord its comin!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

An hour and ten minutes away but I think I drank too much. Lol.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Escape From Noise posted:

An hour and ten minutes away but I think I drank too much. Lol.

Is it already 2024 there?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

redshirt posted:

Is it already 2024 there?

Still an hour and two minutes away.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

I would give all of you so many New Years smooches but I'm still contagious with covid

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Still an hour and two minutes away.

Oooo, get ready for our first countdown! 10AM EST!

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i showed u my trash pls respond

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

I would give all of you so many New Years smooches but I'm still contagious with covid

i'm gonna drink some rum tonight so everybody better watch out :heysexy:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

They're playing fuckin red hot chili peppers. Boo! BOOOOOOO!

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

A true Japanese traditional music for New Years

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Boo!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Happy New Year!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Happy nude bears!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Where is the next New Years? Australia? Thailand? India?

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

8.5hrs to go here :hmmyes:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

My ex texted me a few hours ago asking if I'd be at work. No ill will towards her so I responded saying I wasn't but if she was gonna drop by to let me know since I'd be close by for a new year's thing there and never really got a response. I haven't talked to her in a while and actually deleted her from my Line (Japanese/Korean Whatsapp) to stop myself from being a weirdo so that was weird.

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

all the new year celebrations are on sky news and taipei are celebrating 2024 by playing the terminator theme music :wtf:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ruby Gloom posted:

all the new year celebrations are on sky news and taipei are celebrating 2024 by playing the terminator theme music :wtf:

Yeah but I think Chinese lunar new year might be the big deal there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ruby Gloom posted:

Real 2024 vibes in Taipei

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Taipei is cool. I should visit again.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
EFN is posting from the future :aaa:

Like I KNOW the earth is round but it's still weird to read about a thread buddy drinking to the new year when I just woke up at 9am

Fuckin time zones, how do they work??

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I get it. After a few transfers flying internationally I just give up on trying to understand it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I get it. After a few transfers flying internationally I just give up on trying to understand it.

I flew from Sydney back to Boston via London, and at some point on that journey I lost all sense of time.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

redshirt posted:

I flew from Sydney back to Boston via London, and at some point on that journey I lost all sense of time.

At some point on my way to Hamburg from Osaka I had a layover in Dubai and gently caress if I could tell you what was even happening there but I lost my headphones.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

redshirt posted:

Real 2024 vibes in Taipei

In Terminator 2, the war between the humans and machines that the T1000 comes back in time from is happening in the year 2029, so they're a few years early

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DorkusMalorkus posted:

In Terminator 2, the war between the humans and machines that the T1000 comes back in time from is happening in the year 2029, so they're a few years early

It's a flexible apocalypse!

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

redshirt posted:

It's a flexible apocalypse!

It's appropriate for evey new years eve in our dumb future though let's be honest

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
# nevarforget

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Butts

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DorkusMalorkus posted:

# nevarforget

That was an exciting New Years! Would planes fall out of the sky? Cities go dark? Mass HYSTERIA?!?!?!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I remember being hyped to see what havoc was happening in Japan when they entered 2000 and other countries only to find not much of anything.

Some local guy got a bunch of surplus army helmets on some scrap metal he bought and put "Y2K" on them and sold them as novelty items.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
I remember that new years eve cause I was 15 and my friends came to my house for a sleepover and we stayed up all night playing Mario Kart 64. We probably didn't even watch the countdown cause we didn't care.

I guess now I don't really care if the world ends either cause it's not like there's anything i can do about it if it does
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

all i remember is i drunk a lot of alcopops and wore a fancy tiara

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wonder if we actually averted the Y2K apocalypse through people's efforts, or if it was always just a big nothing burger.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I remember that new years eve cause I was 15 and my friends came to my house for a sleepover and we stayed up all night playing Mario Kart 64. We probably didn't even watch the countdown cause we didn't care.

15 year old you had had poo poo figured out, drat

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

fr, everyone round to dorkus's for nye (brings snacks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

redshirt posted:

I wonder if we actually averted the Y2K apocalypse through people's efforts, or if it was always just a big nothing burger.

We did, by rotating ~all the computers and software that mattered. But if we hadn't, it woulda been an apocalypse on the order of "grocery store doesn't take credit cards for a while" and "some ATMs don't work", for us normies, not "planes falling out of sky" or "zombies in streets" level of poo poo.

AIUI, in the US the government required demonstration that systems + software could function with year set to 2000, and refused to do business with anything that couldn't. So once that had been done, the only risk was that something had been missed. I mention financial stuff above because it wasn't uncommon in the past for them to prefer storage as coded decimal rather than rather than "normal" binary (because 99 rolling over to 00 only matters if you're in base 10, not base 2).