Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

biceps crimes posted:

I've gotta say, the av is matching the posts quite well

I knew people would be stressed about me "leaving" - but I didn't realize they'd be stressed enough to call my manager out publicly in the team meeting where he announced the shuffle, in the middle of crunch time of two major projects, effective in two weeks, one of which a number of us are on PTO for the holiday.

I'm meeting with my skip again tomorrow and there's honestly no reason to not let things rip (diplomatically of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm meeting with my skip again tomorrow and there's honestly no reason to not let things rip (diplomatically of course).
I've heard in this thread, many years ago, that in these situations it's better to pretend everything's fine and not criticize anybody, no matter how lovely it is. Because if you leave on any kind of bad terms, it'll be less likely for you to work with them in the future. Because you might have to work with them again on a future project, team, or company anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Love Stole the Day posted:

I've heard in this thread, many years ago, that in these situations it's better to pretend everything's fine and not criticize anybody, no matter how lovely it is. Because if you leave on any kind of bad terms, it'll be less likely for you to work with them in the future. Because you might have to work with them again on a future project, team, or company anyway.

It's OK to point out problems and present your analysis of the situation, including the viable options you see (e.g. "either he goes or I do"). It's not OK to drag coworkers through the mud, no matter how much they might deserve it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hate the game, not the player.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Love Stole the Day posted:

Then perhaps repackaging the advice given in this thread isn't what you should be doing?

It's a small industry, you will work with people again and you should account for that. Which is not a general license to avoid all conflict and self flagellate when poo poo's going off the rails.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
poo poo is completely and utterly going off the rails and it's impacting every single member of my team except for the manager who is trying to paint this as a "smart shuffle".

We have two teams: A and B.
I'm the most tenured member of A.
I've been working on this product's new feature set which is pretty large in scope for 8 months.
I also understand all of the other features and am by far the best at debugging the system, everyone comes to me.
We're approaching a huge deliverable milestone at the end of January.
Manger wants to move me off this team to lead another team - which is taking up 2 large projects on existing products - that already has a lead.
Manager told me that the lead of the other team wants to work on my project.
Manager is painting this as "more leadership opportunities on the new team" but in actuality everyone knows something is up.
Even my teach lead said this switch seems sudden and my move can absolutely wait. He said the other engineers on my project can get started ASAP.

There is zero rhyme or reason. The entire team is freaking out. Everyone member of QA, other eng, (T)PM is starting to stress over missing deadlines because I have now had my priorities totally reshuffled. I'm meeting with my skip today and all I'm going to ask is what the urgency and justification is for making this switch now. I think the conversation will evolve holistically after that.

There are other tidbits here and there around my manager's manipulation tactics but I'm not sure it's necessary to discuss those in this meeting with my skip.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 14, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah something is up. Spotify just laid off 20% of their engineers to... Raise the stock price. It's possible they're laying off xyz positions and if your HR paperwork doesn't say "lead" you're part of the pool they're gonna let go. Who knows what weird methodology they'll use

You're coming up on end of quarter I would expect they'll make the announcement of who they're laying off Dec 27/29/29. Director and sometimes manger get wind of layoffs weeks or months in advance and can telegraph the wind direction to their favorites so that might be what you're seeing

Hadlock posted:

I dunno about anyone else but since the first day of Q4 seems like people can't hire fast enough

Guy I talked to today they're hiring six additional people on that one team alone they just don't have the time budget to onboard that many people so quickly, and I believe them

Ended up with three competing offers in November. Hiring has definitely ramped way way up since late summer/early fall, I'm guessing because the Fed stopped raising rates and we're expecting them to start tapering down by end of '24 and everyone wants to have capacity when orders start coming in again

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah something is up. Spotify just laid off 20% of their engineers to... Raise the stock price. It's possible they're laying off xyz positions and if your HR paperwork doesn't say "lead" you're part of the pool they're gonna let go. Who knows what weird methodology they'll use

You're coming up on end of quarter I would expect they'll make the announcement of who they're laying off Dec 27/29/29. Director and sometimes manger get wind of layoffs weeks or months in advance and can telegraph the wind direction to their favorites so that might be what you're seeing

Ended up with three competing offers in November. Hiring has definitely ramped way way up since late summer/early fall, I'm guessing because the Fed stopped raising rates and we're expecting them to start tapering down by end of '24 and everyone wants to have capacity when orders start coming in again

All the offers I've gotten for the past year have been bad. Either bait/switch, lowball, or both.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
We have an Americas hiring freeze with about 30+ roles open in India so I'm wondering if that's also part of this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a claim on Twitter that some recent changes to the US tax code are causing pain for tech companies.
https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1735030983173230944
Thread

I try not to think too hard about tax law but if that's all true it would explain a lot of what's been going on this year.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hadlock posted:

Yeah something is up. Spotify just laid off 20% of their engineers

It’s me. Every time I apply for a job they do a layoff. I assume to have an excuse not to hire me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

leper khan posted:

All the offers I've gotten for the past year have been bad. Either bait/switch, lowball, or both.

Yeah I got one offer from a major credit card issuer for 90K below market rate "because you don't live in San Francisco proper" (:rolleyes: I'm about 30 minutes outside of the city) so I changed my address to San Francisco and they came back 20K below market rate but refused to negotiate

Actually that whole process was a loving poo poo show initially they only wanted someone who lived near xyz B Midwest city I'd never heard of but quickly folded

That recruiter only has six positions to fill so I don't think he's in any rush to fill them as he'd be out of the job/there's no incentive for him to fill the positions

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have an Americas hiring freeze with about 30+ roles open in India so I'm wondering if that's also part of this.

They did two rounds of layoffs at my last company immediately after opening up positions in Colombia/Mexico

I dunno what industry you work in but I'd ask some very pointed questions about growth over the next 12 months. Switching to overseas contractors is like management 101 when you don't have any projected growth, especially with borrowing rates so high

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
There it is. There's a huge reorg coming. Not even my manager knows about it (according to my skip).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://youtu.be/gsR2wFrKJ2Y

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:airquote: reorg

Keep us posted

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

There it is. There's a huge reorg coming. Not even my manager knows about it (according to my skip).

Reorg. You're the manager now. Good luck!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
We had a "reorg" this week and my TL's name was suspiciously left off the new org structure but everyone else at their level was included. The switch isn't effective until 2/1 but I'm wondering if this is perhaps a sign of things to come as there have been layoff rumors week of 2/1 leaking on Blind.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

there have been layoff rumors week of 2/1 leaking on Blind.

Blind is toxic af. I don’t look at it much anymore but there have been layoff rumors on Blind for my company every week for the past two years

It’s like the doomers that are always predicting a recession. Eventually they are “right” in the way a broken clock is right twice a day.

we did have some layoffs but not every week

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
The public Blind boards are definitely garbage full of terrible people.

My company's board is pretty small and I find the info to be /ok/. I think it's worth looking at once in a while if you've never checked it out, but not something I'd spend time on.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Our Blind was accurate down to the day for our last set of layoffs. It can be toxic but we definitely have some manager leaking details.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

We had a "reorg" this week and my TL's name was suspiciously left off the new org structure but everyone else at their level was included. The switch isn't effective until 2/1 but I'm wondering if this is perhaps a sign of things to come as there have been layoff rumors week of 2/1 leaking on Blind.

Reading those reorg PowerPoints that no one ever reads is a good way to get clues about layoffs. I remember seeing my VP missing in one, and even though he was required to deny it to me, I was right when he was gone a month later.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Blind is insanely toxic but it was absolutely the most reliable source of information this year at Amazon since I sure as poo poo wasn’t getting any sort of transparency or information from actual leadership.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

lifg posted:

Reading those reorg PowerPoints that no one ever reads is a good way to get clues about layoffs. I remember seeing my VP missing in one, and even though he was required to deny it to me, I was right when he was gone a month later.

It's starting to make sense. We have two sub-teams: I was the most "leaderly" on sub-team B and the most tenured coworker of mine was my counterpart on sub-team A. Now, my boss has enforced this accelerated timeline of us swapping sub-teams so I lead A and he leads B, also while formally defining our roles as the leaders. Teammate mentioned above hasn't done any work on B and I haven't done any on A. Only my TL has worked on both sides. Sure it might be that my boss wants to cross pollinate knowledge but this extremely aggressive push particularly around the holidays makes me wonder....

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I've been working for a decade in C++ - robotics, video games, etc. I love this stuff, but lately I've been thinking about getting into public service (working for local/state/federal government). The trouble is none of the postings are looking for a weird C++ dude. Most job postings either require specific knowledge like PeopleSoft, or general "full-stack" app development skills. I have neither set of skills! I have no idea what the govt is looking for, so I have a few questions:

(1) For weird specific stuff like PeopleSoft, is it enough to teach myself and say I know it, or do I need to get some kind of certification to prove it? Do I really want to do this to myself?

(2) For full-stack skills, is it better to teach myself and build something cool to show off, or is there some kind of certification that people look for? If I make something neat in Django, would they hire somebody for their rails app? (this question goes for non-govt stuff too).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I don't have direct knowledge, but I can't imagine they have the opportunity to be very picky.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You're better off asking over in the fedgov thread. The federal government hiring system is extremely arcane and it's really unlikely that you'll make it through on your own.

As far as specifics go, the government is a huge organization and it's hard to make statements that apply everywhere, but for the most part highly technical work gets farmed out to contractors. You do need people on the government side to manage those contracts, but that tends to be more program management than technical. If you have video game experience and you're OK with working on military technology, there's a lot happening in the modeling & simulation space that would be a good fit.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

see if there's a local code for america chapter you can join

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

giogadi posted:

(2) For full-stack skills, is it better to teach myself and build something cool to show off, or is there some kind of certification that people look for? If I make something neat in Django, would they hire somebody for their rails app? (this question goes for non-govt stuff too).

For non-govt jobs: there’s no full stack certificate worth a drat. And for the next question: often yes, but it might vary job by job.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's Federal "startup corps" thing where you can do a tour of duty but you have to do it in DC

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Every few weeks I check the job boards and every few weeks, less NA and more India (and to a lesser extended Eastern Europe) roles. This was not the case at all when I joined summer 2021. I feel I have zero flexibility to move to a different team if my new fake team lead role doesn't work out (it won't without some other changes).

At what point is this sudden, massive shift a dealbreaker for you? To me it seems like this play is to hire overseas talent, lay off more American talent for a stock pop, "prove" the company functions the same with much less engineering money spent, and hope we're valued better for an acquisition or something? I don't get it.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
It's been a long time since I've done an interview, and in my current company I got promoted from senior SWE to an EM role, which I'm enjoying. I'm not actively looking for another job, but I want to get back in interviewing shape by the end of next year if my salary doesn't budge. Do I need to pick up CTCI / leetcode again :/ Or is algo stuff not usually expected in EM/managerial role interviews

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

mila kunis posted:

It's been a long time since I've done an interview, and in my current company I got promoted from senior SWE to an EM role, which I'm enjoying. I'm not actively looking for another job, but I want to get back in interviewing shape by the end of next year if my salary doesn't budge. Do I need to pick up CTCI / leetcode again :/ Or is algo stuff not usually expected in EM/managerial role interviews

Depends on the company

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Every few weeks I check the job boards and every few weeks, less NA and more India (and to a lesser extended Eastern Europe) roles. This was not the case at all when I joined summer 2021. I feel I have zero flexibility to move to a different team if my new fake team lead role doesn't work out (it won't without some other changes).

At what point is this sudden, massive shift a dealbreaker for you? To me it seems like this play is to hire overseas talent, lay off more American talent for a stock pop, "prove" the company functions the same with much less engineering money spent, and hope we're valued better for an acquisition or something? I don't get it.

They’ve been doing this at least since my career started in the early 2000s. The rest of the cycle is that the offshoring requires inefficiency and overhead that costs more than onshore talent and they either move back or lose market share to companies that do.

That doesn’t mean it’s inevitable that those jobs come back onshore, but “programmer talent is expensive and the job can be done remotely” are things that management has known for decades.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Lyesh posted:

They’ve been doing this at least since my career started in the early 2000s. The rest of the cycle is that the offshoring requires inefficiency and overhead that costs more than onshore talent and they either move back or lose market share to companies that do.

This is my experience too. It takes a lot of work to build a team, and doing that in a county you have no presence in just because it’s “cheaper” never goes well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Part of my work at my first job, 18 years ago, was coordinating with my colleagues in Hyderabad.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Part of my work at my first job, 18 years ago, was coordinating with my colleagues in Hyderabad.

Yeah same here, except it was my second job. Honestly it taught me some much-needed lessons about clarity in business communication. I filed a bug on their team’s UI component saying that the background color was wrong (it didn’t match the rest of the form) and the next day I found they’d changed it…to a different wrong color :v:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I've done nothing professionally except PHP/Javascript website development for 20 years, and I want to start the new year learning a new language. I've dabbled in Java but going from the particulars of PHP as a scripted language, to Java as a compiled language, are more than just how the code is executed. Does anyone know where there might exist a specific tutorial on Java for PHP experts? I see a lot of lists of "here's how to learn Java" but I was hoping someone had put together some kind of guide specifically for people who know PHP extremely well. We don't need to learn how to program, just how to do Java.

Or is it all completely intertwined and I might as well start from the beginning?

On a related note, if I were to start any other new language this year, what would be recommended? I'm also thinking of learning Python.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Python and Java are solid choices. If you're using interfaces, static types, and Composer in your PHP, you're very close to writing Java already. If you aren't using those, these common concepts will help in adopting most other languages with OOP features. Some key elements that'd be different in Javaland are running an in-process webserver (instead of proxying to PHP-FPM), Maven instead of Composer, and that everything is passed by reference iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Everything is passed by value in Java.