Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

remember to do 50 camera squats in honor of our departing hero

https://i.imgur.com/snBp61K.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

zetamind2000 posted:

the punk rear end video but this time it's kevin dunn's teeth

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Anyone got the Street Fighter II video edited as Kevin Dunn?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

britishbornandbread posted:

Anyone got the Street Fighter II video edited as Kevin Dunn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1t2xB8ZhY

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

thank you. genuinely as obnoxious as I recall.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Ryu watching backstage always cracks me up

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Erebus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlQz1FlERfE&t=240s

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Gonzo McFee posted:

He also said Kelly Kelly "Needed to get some fuckin TITS" while giggling like a maniac, he's a very old school, out in the open misogynist.

Reminder that Sable was Dunn's and Vince's idea of the perfect woman, to the point that they didn't even want to discuss booking an upcoming Raw, but would instead just talk about how hot they thought she was

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Sable wasn't even the best looking woman involved in wrestling during that time period as she overlapped with Kimberley Page. And Kimberley wasn't even the best Nitro Girl! Spice crew represent.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lid posted:

Sable wasn't even the best looking woman involved in wrestling during that time period as she overlapped with Kimberley Page. And Kimberley wasn't even the best Nitro Girl! Spice crew represent.

Hell yeah, Spice Squad :respek:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Lid posted:

I mean, I agree with this, but my point was more about how Vince and Dunn were shallow perverts who act like horny teenage boys, not necessarily "who was the hottest woman during the Monday Night Wars"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lid posted:

But Kim Page had brown hair! and everyone knows that you have to be a tall blond with big boobs to be hot because all men have the same tastes as sitcom character Al Bundy.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Problematic now but at the time I always liked Sunny more than Sable.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

bartok posted:

I think it has something to do with Sable having no charisma whatsoever, but nonetheless

rip bozo you will not be mourned, he'll be overediting his family home movies now

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

bartok posted:

Not problematic at all. Sunny was worlds better in almost every way.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

And the most attractive woman in the wrestling business in the Attitude era? The girl reading this.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

fart blood posted:

Not problematic at all. Sunny was worlds better in almost every way.

i would presume they meant more in the "currently doing 15-25 in federal prison" sense of problematic now

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

shiksa posted:

I think it has something to do with Sable having no charisma whatsoever, but nonetheless

rip bozo you will not be mourned, he'll be overediting his family home movies now

Finally, an answer to “how many cuts can you have in a nephew’s christening”

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bartok posted:

a simpler time

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3WxRzH7sCg

going to be making & taking bets on the bozo cup game

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Reminder that Sable was Dunn's and Vince's idea of the perfect woman, to the point that they didn't even want to discuss booking an upcoming Raw, but would instead just talk about how hot they thought she was

They would sit around discussing how they thought she probably wore white panties.

:negative:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

brand new fifty fuckin dollar bill. poo poo!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Vandar posted:

They would sit around discussing how they thought she probably wore white panties.

:negative:

The panties her mother laid out for her?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I think this conversation should probably pump the brakes. It's getting weird.

Kevin Dunn sucks, he's a poo poo-rear end human being, good loving riddance. Hopefully the product will actually be watchable now...at least when it comes to the camera cuts. I'm not hopeful for the bright lights and garish overstuffed presentation to die down any time soon but hopefully they get someone with actual sports experience or something.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I hadn’t heard before this Dunn news that TKO wanted any changes to production, but I’m also not paying attention to WWE news all the time. Any details on what they actually want to do differently?

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

yeah, moreso than the camera cuts, the thing that always puts me off immediately when i happened to catch glimpses of current day wwe's product is that the presentation unbearably bright? like, i feel like i'd get a headache if i watched a full show

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ivypls posted:

yeah, moreso than the camera cuts, the thing that always puts me off immediately when i happened to catch glimpses of current day wwe's product is that the presentation unbearably bright? like, i feel like i'd get a headache if i watched a full show

Yeah it feels like you’re watching a Nickelodeon sit com. It’s really horrible to look at.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

I hadn’t heard before this Dunn news that TKO wanted any changes to production, but I’m also not paying attention to WWE news all the time. Any details on what they actually want to do differently?

They want it to cost less

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Ganso Bomb posted:

They want to cut expenses. One of the TKO guy on the last earnings (?) call took a pretty mocking attitude towards production managers who don't want to cut corners and do with less and that they were absolutely going to cut production costs.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Ganso Bomb posted:

TKO COO Mark Shapiro talked recently about how they want to streamline production or something. He talked dimissively about directors/producers being married to their equipment and thinking cuts will be the end of the world. Typical corporate bean counting. When I read this, I figured the writing was on the wall for Dunn.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ohhh so it’s of course just “this should cost less” and not someone actually caring what the shows look like

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Erebus posted:

I'm the audience and middle guy not giving a gently caress
e: specifically the guy just nope'ing out

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Power Windows posted:

TKO COO Mark Shapiro talked recently about how they want to streamline production or something. He talked dimissively about directors/producers being married to their equipment and thinking cuts will be the end of the world. Typical corporate bean counting. When I read this, I figured the writing was on the wall for Dunn.

Wasn't there also some talk of how they wanted to use the same production teams for both UFC and WWE, so that they'd have a "unified" look or some such

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I wouldn't expect massive changes immediately but I think the show is going to look better soon. We know what HHH likes because we saw his NXT and overall it looked better and had a lot fewer cuts and shakycam poo poo.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Here is to another year of greatness (Roman Reigns)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Kevin Dunn sucks, he's a poo poo-rear end human being, good loving riddance.

It's been a while since I read Mox's book, but I think this is a Kevin Dunn story.

When Mox won the title, in the heat of the moment he said to the ref "gimme my loving title" and so the word gently caress could be heard on the TV. Eventually some agent pulled his sleeve and let him know that Kevin Dunn was super upset that Mox had said a bad word on his TV show and told him to go apologize. Dunn himself had said NOTHING to Mox about it. He went and apologized and thought the thing was settled, only to hear later from some other agent that Dunn was still super pissed off because Mox's apology hadn't been respectful enough or some poo poo and had gone to cry to Vince about it, and so now it was a real problem. Again, Dunn said nothing to Mox and he had to hear later from someone else that Kevin Dunn's feelings were still hurt.

Imagine working with fragile piss babies like that. Now imagine the entire company leadership being fragile piss babies like that.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Please don't say bad words I say to the world champ

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

HHH is clearing a path for Dean to come home

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

There is a nice us title with Jon's name on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hell I'll quote Mox himself:

Mox posted:

We’re at SmackDown! I am given a message delivered by Michael Hayes. I am told I am to go to the production truck to apologize to Kevin Dunn. Kevin Dunn, executive producer, is the guy responsible for all the nauseating camera cuts that might have given your children epileptic seizures while watching WWE programming.

I put two and two together and realized I must have sworn on camera at the PPV night before last. I had no problem apologizing to anybody if that’s what happened, but I did find it odd that nobody said anything to me until two days later. I would have left the ring at the PPV and gone right to Vince or the truck, the head of USA network or the surgeon general and taken ownership of the mistake. This was what I signed up for, and I was willing to ply my trade within the parameters of the rules. Don’t swear. … That’s fine, it’s not hard. I don’t need to swear to cut a promo.

However, in the ring it’s possible that sometimes, poo poo just slips out. We communicate in the ring, with our partners, our opponents, the referees. This is largely imperceptible to the audience, but with the ring mic’d and all those HD cameras pointed at you, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that an errant expletive word could come across on TV. What’s more, a performer fully immersed in what they’re doing might not have the network’s standards and practices memo front and center on their mind while they are occupying the reality of their character. Sometimes you’re just in the loving zone.

I actually feel bad. Man, I hosed up. My bad. As I make my way to the production truck to talk to Kevin Dunn for probably the first time ever in my life, I begin to wonder if this isn’t all a mistake. I couldn’t have actually said “gently caress.” I’ve been with the company for two years, and feel I’ve done an exemplary job of ridding my vocabulary of all profanity while on camera. We’ll know in a minute. I’m told I have to watch the tape in the truck. We’ll get to the bottom of this.

I walk into the production truck and am met by Kevin Dunn, who is overly nice. He then pulls up the footage, and sure enough, there it is.

“Give me my fuckin’ belt,” I tell the referee shortly after the pinfall. Kevin plays it twice.

“Give me my fuckin’ belt,” I say. I’m in my own world, in the moment, sweat matting my hair, filled with the adrenaline of the pop of the crowd as the ref counted one, two, three, and I secured my first belt in WWE, a moment I’ve probably been picturing in one way or another since I was a little kid. I didn’t scream it, but it was there, clear as day. I have no excuse.

I was 100 percent repentant. I took full responsibility. I sincerely apologized to Kevin, who had the responsibility of utilizing the seven- or eight-second delay to hit a button and bleep it out. It was my fault. I hosed up. I explained that I was in the moment, excited, and it was just a natural reaction, but I showed full contrition. Kevin went on and on about how he’s had to have this talk with other guys and I was doing so well and he didn’t want something like this to ruin things for me. I agreed. This was not the kind of stupid thing I wanted to gently caress things up for me — or my partners, for that matter. I gotta be more careful, I thought.

Still, this whole thing felt a little overdramatic. Why didn’t you just come and cuss me out right after it happened? I would have been cool with that. What’s with this whole principal’s-office thing? Just fine me a grand or fine me AND send someone to come kick me in the shin as hard as gently caress. That’s a good rule: Say “gently caress” on TV, get kicked in the shin. This whole thing just feels a little weird, but I was the one in the wrong here and I am legitimately remorseful. I actually felt good leaving the truck. It was a good little reminder that one stupid little thing could gently caress all this up, so keep your mouth in check. It almost seemed like Kevin was looking out for me. I appreciated his forthrightness in not letting it slide.

I thought it was a positive experience.

About an hour later, Michael comes up to me in the hallway again. He don’t look happy. “Weeell,” he says, “I don’t think … that was the right kind of apology … for the push we wanna give you.”

I was flabbergasted. I have no clear memory of what I said to Michael then. I was in a little bit of shock. I did apologize. That’s what I JUST DID. I thought this was over. I talked it out with Kevin and we shook hands. So … it’s not over? The only other thing I remember Michael saying is, “Look, I know you’re a … different type of cat.”

The first time I’d heard that phrase. It wouldn’t be the last. I didn’t always necessarily take it as complimentary. In fact, many times I felt like I was being made fun of, but I wasn’t in on the joke. I remember being by the ring and two top-producer types trying to get away with that sort of thing, subtly, but right to my face. I’m not loving stupid. “Are we making fun of me right now?” I asked.

Their eyes went wide, and they changed the subject to laughing about something else seamlessly. Yeah, OK.

I can’t say for sure whether this incident affected my career in any meaningful way or not. It doesn’t matter now. … It all worked out for me in the end. It’s possible absolutely nothing would have been different.

But without a doubt, I could immediately feel a change in the air around me. I was treated differently. I was talked to differently. From that moment on, I think that’s how I was viewed by WWE … however I was described in the truck by Kevin Dunn that day.
[...]
Looking back on this incident years later, I began to wonder if maybe this was another case of my social awkwardness and obliviousness to those around me. Maybe when I went into the truck to give what, to me, was a sincere apology, I came off like a complete dick. It’s not like that sort of thing hasn’t happened before. It has been happening to me my whole life.

I told this story in an onstage sit-down interview with JR at a fan event in Baltimore in 2019. I hadn’t thought about it in a really long time. It just kind of popped into my head. At this stage of my life, I was willing to accept that maybe I really did just plain come off bad. Thinking about it now, It’s possible … but … Nah. gently caress that. I remember my compunction. I remember apologizing. I remember going above and beyond, saying that I was sorry for putting him in a bad spot, promising it would never happen again and thanking him for the talk. Kevin was soooo nice to me. We shared a hearty handshake on the way out, everything was good. IT WAS ALL GOOD. If I had gone in there and been an rear end in a top hat, why didn’t he just say, “gently caress you, then, you’re being an rear end in a top hat.” No, he let me go through the whole song and dance, while being completely phony, pretending to accept my apology, pretending it was all good and we were friends. Then five minutes later this little oval office rat goes right to the rest of the office and says I didn’t give a sufficient apology and whatever other bullshit he probably said about me, behind my back, no less. This dickless motherfucker … and it was 48 hours later. Why didn’t you just call me on the phone right when it happened and say, “gently caress you, we’re all mad at you, and if you do it again, you’re fired.”? That would have been easy to understand. Instead, I got summoned to the secret castle to meet the Magical King Wizard who lives in the truck and controls the universe to beg for forgiveness? What are all these stupid little games?

The reality in a place like WWE is that one comment, one little seed planted by a guy in Kevin Dunn’s position can be extremely detrimental to someone’s future there. That’s a lot of power, and that power breeds ego. Connecticut … old, rich boys’ club ego. I’ve heard all kinds of stories about that guy messing with people’s careers, but this isn’t that kind of book. Suffice to say that dude is a fuckbag. Maybe this is that kind of book. … No! No! … But for real, don’t EVEN get me started on … no … this is not that kind of book. gently caress Kevin Dunn.

I can't recommend the book highly enough, especially the audiobook which is read by Mox himself. The best wrestling book I've ever read.