Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LifeLynx posted:

New cards with retro gold border look like poo poo, old cards that had the gold border originally look like the poo poo. There's some kind of aesthetic reason I can't put my finger on. Older art direction? The modern touches like mana symbols, fonts, templating, etc. not meshing? Subtle differences in the frame dimensions? Or just some uncanny valley-esque reason like my brain knowing Tidehollow Sculler doesn't belong in that frame?

The modern cards are cleaner, and there was this aesthetic of the old gold border having a rough finish out of the box plus the analog art.

But I've been yelling about magic art direction for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The modern frame still looks like someone got their hands on a pirated copy of Photoshop 3 with Acidtools and went buck wild with plugins

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

new DRS is proof they could make good new retro frames, they simply chose not to until now

This is a good point, I really dig this look.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Silhouette posted:

The modern frame still looks like someone got their hands on a pirated copy of Photoshop 3 with Acidtools and went buck wild with plugins

Christ, Acidtools is rattling some ancient neurons in here but failing to make a complete picture and it's too old to Google.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
As long as the majority of people prefer the modern frame and tcgplayer continues to make it harder to find, I will enjoy my cheaper retro frames.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hold up on the flavour text here. So, he never actually made any mistakes? Like the implication is that he made a mistake and then thought he could live long enough to make a second. But, the first mistake was the thinking. So, the initial mistake never happened? Or was the mistake deciding to make a mistake, a thing that definitely happens in brains? Or was he simply thinking about mistakes, and that was the mistake?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dr. Stab posted:

Hold up on the flavour text here. So, he never actually made any mistakes? Like the implication is that he made a mistake and then thought he could live long enough to make a second. But, the first mistake was the thinking. So, the initial mistake never happened? Or was the mistake deciding to make a mistake, a thing that definitely happens in brains? Or was he simply thinking about mistakes, and that was the mistake?

"But it doesn't mean anything!"
"No. It means nothing."

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i like to do extended art and borderless whenever i can. it doesn't hurt that a lot of them are cheaper that way.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Add me to the train that likes old borders but does wish they played with them a bit in regards to new things like Vehicles and colored artifacts. They do colored text boxes for old lands - a green tint if it taps for green, yellow if it taps for all colors - don't see why having the gold border but also some treatment to id it as an artifact would be out of the question.

Have shrugged it off thinking new frames are expensive and work to do, but they keep dropping new ones every other set nowadays so that doesn't seem like an issue.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ferrinus posted:

"But it doesn't mean anything!"
"No. It means nothing."

throwback to a classic, loved that one always

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Lifetime bans for everyone who doesn’t like the old borders! Turn in your DCI cards over here…

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I started playing around the time Mirrodin came out, and 8th Edition was my introduction to the basic ideas of the game (did an excellent job, core sets ftw). There were a lot of old bordered cards around still ofc, my biggest issue was that it felt really weird having a deck with a mix of the two styles.

I did prefer the new style a lot, though - mostly artifacts in silver looked so much better to me than in brown, I couldn't imagine Mirrodin cards not being mostly silver (most of the aesthetic is [quick]silver as well). I did however instinctively kinda hate white bordered cards.

I barely saw any old style gold cards and thought they must be so special. There weren't any in Mirrodin and barely any (or none even? Don't remember) in Kamigawa, so Ravnica hit with a bang. I do admit that that immediately made them less special seeming because everything was gold now.

Anyway it's all a matter of preference, taste and when exactly you started playing Magic. It's great that options exist and I'd happily play old style cards nowadays for variety, if I played paper.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Old borders for lands and artifacts

Modern border everything else

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dr. Stab posted:

You're overthinking it.

He thought that Sarnvax was going to let him live. This was the first mistake, because Sarnvax wasn't going to let him live, and if he had lived, he would have (at some point in his life) made a second mistake.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Simply Simon posted:

a. There weren't any in Mirrodin and barely any (or none even? Don't remember) in Kamigawa,

The genju of the realm has reported your slight to Iname as One

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Simply Simon posted:

I did prefer the new style a lot, though - mostly artifacts in silver looked so much better to me than in brown, I couldn't imagine Mirrodin cards not being mostly silver (most of the aesthetic is [quick]silver as well). I did however instinctively kinda hate white bordered cards.

I started playing about a year before the change, and I remember the reaction being generally positive, except for two details: the grey mana symbols in text boxes, and there wasn’t enough difference between white and artifact cards. They fixed both of those issues pretty quick though.

Mirrodin being such a different setting definitely helped the transition. 8th and 9th editions seemed weird with old art in new frames, but Mirrodin art seemed to fit much better.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The only good modern frame is the Vehicle frame, which should've become the default for all artifacts going forward

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How well do cards read to various colorblind types? See accessibility reviews of videogames and stuff sometimes but haven't seen one for magic card design.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Khanstant posted:

How well do cards read to various colorblind types? See accessibility reviews of videogames and stuff sometimes but haven't seen one for magic card design.

I have more issues with the walls of text than the color of cards when when it was close

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

HootTheOwl posted:

The modern cards are cleaner, and there was this aesthetic of the old gold border having a rough finish out of the box plus the analog art.

But I've been yelling about magic art direction for years

I said this a while ago, but one thing the retro frame shows is that the art direction is still there when it comes to the art itself. A lot of it still looks like stuff that would have been commissioned back in the day. Part of the problem is that the new border flattens the whole experience of the card and you see it as a single object rather than a frame and a piece of art and a text box. And, of course, that was the point of the new frame, to facilitate the parsing of text and identifying a card from a distance.

A lot of the cards that are in new frames would look vastly more "Old School Magic" simply by being in old frames, is what I'm saying.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

rickiep00h posted:

I said this a while ago, but one thing the retro frame shows is that the art direction is still there when it comes to the art itself. A lot of it still looks like stuff that would have been commissioned back in the day.
I reject this in the strongest terms.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Never had a problem with standard cards. Some of the secret lair ones are a mess and the original egyptian invocations are a loving nightmare.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The invocations were meant to be carved into actual stone in a font nobody can read so it's amazing they compromised as far as they did

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Alan G posted:

Never had a problem with standard cards. Some of the secret lair ones are a mess and the original egyptian invocations are a loving nightmare.

That also applies if you not colourblind.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Doesn't help that invocations are all foil so are weirdly dark in the way foils sometimes are

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The invokations having real art instead of steeles is what ruined them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOE-lNs6qe4

Time to rewatch this

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Khanstant posted:

The invocations were meant to be carved into actual stone in a font nobody can read so it's amazing they compromised as far as they did

Hazoret the Pervert

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I have been playing off and on since Invasion when I was but a wee lad and the m15 borders are by far the best borders the game has ever had. They're easy to read, 2 color gold cards have the spiffy colored trim, and the newer filigree on the top of legendaries is great. I have some nostalgia for the old border, but the modern border is just so fuckin slick.

I also wanted to post a Limited trip report: I know it hasn't been particularly popular but I have been having a blast with LCI draft, both on Arena and especially in paper. This Friday at my LGS I had the good luck to be passed Throne of the Grim Captain pick four in pack one and decided to go all in. I wound up with what I thought was a pretty mediocre golgari descend deck with a red splash for more removal and an extra pirate, but it turns out it was actually a house and I went 3-0.

Grim Captain will 100% win if you can flip it, and is a super sweet build-around. I had at least 2 of each creature type in there and could pretty consistently flip it if I drew it. In the couple of games where I saw it but didn't flip it, it still put in a ton of work turning descended on and filling the yard with goodies.

I know LCI is supposed to be a fast format, but I have had much better luck with midrangey decks than I have with aggro strategies, has that been everyone else's experience?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Grim Captain is awesome and something I wish I could use as a commander, but the color restriction would be ouch.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/speeding-up-secret-lair-shipping
Happy New Year! I hope you liked an extra layer of fomo in your secret lairs because they're no longer print to demand! Now they're limited print run.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The shipping delays were all because they wanted to cheap out on their print to demand costs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

The shipping delays were all because they wanted to cheap out on their print to demand costs.

This post carries with it an implication that the print quality will improve and I think we will know it will not

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

This post carries with it an implication that the print quality will improve and I think we will know it will not

lol hell no. Maybe it might be more consistent because it will all be printed in the same batches, but quality will be the same as the rest of the poo poo.

Weren’t some secrets lairs delayed for more than a year? The greed in that logistics is insane.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the print quality certainly won't improve, but you'd hope the reason they're moving to limited print runs is that they're telling the printers "i want X copies ready to ship on the date the secret lair closes" instead of the current scheme where they only start printing after they know how many they sold

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/speeding-up-secret-lair-shipping
Happy New Year! I hope you liked an extra layer of fomo in your secret lairs because they're no longer print to demand! Now they're limited print run.

Starting the new year off strong with another goddamn terrible decision.

I just got done putting all my cards up on the shelf and off my desk a few days ago since I feel like I'm on a bit of a break from Magic, and this news is making that feel even more like a good decision. I actually like Secret Lairs and it's a bummer that it's going to be warped even further into FOMO scalper fodder. At least with the current system, you were guaranteed to be able to get the cards you wanted. I'd rather wait a while than have to deal with the site crashing once an exciting SL goes up and everyone rushes in.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 3, 2024

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Semi-related to printing and secret lairs, Frank Karsten did some year end analytics for CF:

While this was the first year that overall net new product went down since 2012, the overall increase over prior years is insane.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Khanstant posted:

When you play with real retro-frames:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

kung fu jive posted:

Semi-related to printing and secret lairs, Frank Karsten did some year end analytics for CF:

While this was the first year that overall net new product went down since 2012, the overall increase over prior years is insane.

Link? Do you need a pro subscription?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Are the boom-busts in card objects prior to circa '08 the old style Xth Editions that were mostly or totally reprints, I'm guessing?