Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think its pretty annoying that Sony uses almost identical model numbers for their popular headphones and earbuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Budget - ~$200
Source - Bluetooth to a portable mp3 player (HiBy R2 II / R2 Gen) and a laptop.
Intended use case - Mainly for travel on airplanes, or late night listening to music before going to sleep.
Preferred Headphone features - I've bought 3 or 4 different models of monoprice headphones and I never learn my lesson, I have had so many technical difficulties with them.
Noise cancellation would be a plus.
Good Bass
Large over the ear
Good amount of battery

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I'm such a boomer, I guess $200 isn't much in the wireless headphone space.

From what I can gather:

Edifier STAX Spirit S3 Wireless Planar Magnetic Headphone
$400

Sony WH-1000XM4 Wireless
$230

I guess I'm getting the Sony, but sure would love the 80 hour playtime of the Edifier.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Budget - ~$200
Source - Bluetooth to a portable mp3 player (HiBy R2 II / R2 Gen) and a laptop.
Intended use case - Mainly for travel on airplanes, or late night listening to music before going to sleep.
Preferred Headphone features - I've bought 3 or 4 different models of monoprice headphones and I never learn my lesson, I have had so many technical difficulties with them.
Noise cancellation would be a plus.
Good Bass
Large over the ear
Good amount of battery
Get refurb XM5s from this seller on ebay, comes with free 2 year warranty. When the battery wears out in 3 - 5 years just replace it yourself for $20.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314074071401

If you don't want to wait for them to come back in stock you can get XM4s for less.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274493598619?epid=18040267377

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I've had a set of Bose qc35 headphones for like 7 years now and I'm thinking of replacing them. I can get a refurb set of qc45 for $189 or the new QC for $250, which would you go for? Or what would be a decent competing brand?

Build quality, noise cancelation, sound quality, and repairability are my priorities

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

HolHorsejob posted:

I've had a set of Bose qc35 headphones for like 7 years now and I'm thinking of replacing them. I can get a refurb set of qc45 for $189 or the new QC for $250, which would you go for? Or what would be a decent competing brand?

Build quality, noise cancelation, sound quality, and repairability are my priorities

If they're not broken or worn out, I would keep the QC 35s if I were you. The QC 45s are a downgrade in nearly every way. For whatever reason, current gen Bose stuff all has this extreme, V-shaped tinnitus tune that can't be evened out by their built-in 3-band EQ (or a more advanced external EQ for that matter). I also think we hit the limit on what on-ear ANC headphones can do a long time ago because I have yet to try a newer model that outperforms QC 35s. Even the Sony WH-1000XM5s are effectively worse at this because their adaptive control keeps backing off the strength at inappropriate times.

The QC 45s add "Aware Mode" (their form of audio passthrough mode), but take away the ability to turn off ANC, so you're stuck listening to their noise floor in quiet environments (which seems to be slightly higher than they are on the QC 35s).

As for repairability, you're hosed whoever you go with. The batteries are glued shut on the Bose, so it's a good thing they've been super reliable in my experience. Pretty much every consumer headphone is engineered with absolute contempt for the owner and whoever is tasked with repairing them. Things that could have easily been a Molex/JST connector are soldered on using the thinnest gauge enamel wire possible, and quite often, components are glued into place when screws or clips would have done just fine.

I would avoid the Sony WH-1000XM3/4 and AKG K371 both for widespread headband failures (the K371s don't have ANC, but they're worth bringing up for this particular topic). On Sony's side, I don't know how you go through four generations of headphone with the same exact problem and not have it be intentional. I think the Bose QuietComfort series win by default on build quality simply because they have slightly less planned obsolescence built into their design than other models. They at least had the foresight to use a metal piece around the stress point that causes so many breaks on Sonys.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 28, 2023

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
My kitten ate the cable on my DT770s and I'm so mad.

Fortunately, I have a "backup" pair of headphones (ATH-m50x) that I use primarily for work or while away from home. But that brings me to a few questions (that don't necessarily need actual answers, mostly just be complaining).

Why don't the DT770s have a replacable cable like the ATH-m50x? Why are the ATH-m50x so much less comfortable? Why do the Bluetooth model of ATH-m50x have such lovely bugs, such as preventing listening to the headphones while they're charging?

I'm really tempted to just order a pair of DT770s again. They're probably my favorite headphones I've ever owned. It's just a huge bummer that both times I've had to replace that set it was becuase of the cable going out. Any other recommendations I should look into before pulling the trigger?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I had to cover all my headphone cords with the rougher cord sleeves cats like chewing less.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Frozen Peach posted:

My kitten ate the cable on my DT770s and I'm so mad.

Fortunately, I have a "backup" pair of headphones (ATH-m50x) that I use primarily for work or while away from home. But that brings me to a few questions (that don't necessarily need actual answers, mostly just be complaining).

Why don't the DT770s have a replacable cable like the ATH-m50x? Why are the ATH-m50x so much less comfortable? Why do the Bluetooth model of ATH-m50x have such lovely bugs, such as preventing listening to the headphones while they're charging?

I'm really tempted to just order a pair of DT770s again. They're probably my favorite headphones I've ever owned. It's just a huge bummer that both times I've had to replace that set it was becuase of the cable going out. Any other recommendations I should look into before pulling the trigger?

The DT770 is a popular candidate for a removable cable mod, and there are a few guides online if you feel up to it (or know someone that's up for it).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I like the sound of the ATH-M50s but they clamp so hard which makes it more uncomfortable for me.

There's a user that does the replaceable cable mod on etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/684442635/beyerdynamic-dt-770880990tygr-detachable

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Frozen Peach posted:

I suspect Beyerdynamic wants to push home users towards the much more expensive DT 700 PRO X rather than add common sense updates to their legacy models and risk upsetting their professional customer base (ignoring all the minor changes to hardware and sound signature they've made to the DT 770s over the years).

The M50x are a weird one for me. I bought a used set of M50xBTs in 2020. They were perfectly comfortable when I got them. I replaced the earpads once and they were still comfortable. Eventually, I found a set of M50xBT2s, but those squished my left ear despite having the exact same earcup dimensions and pads as headphones they were supposed to replace. When it came time to replace the pads on my original M50xBTs a second time, those suddenly started doing the same thing.

It's a shame the M50x line of headphones don't react well to aftermarket pads. I have yet to find a set that don't ruin their sound profile. These headphones really seem to depend on the drivers being right up in your ear.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Budget - Around $200
Source - 90% my iPhone, occasionally an iPad or my computer.
Intended use case - Mostly used walking the dog during the day, walks/hikes at night, and for use hanging in my hammock while camping. Occasionally I will use them to listen on my computer.
Preferred Headphone features - None really. I dont need noise cancelling I dont think. I dont need a mic. I'd prefer something more durable so maybe something with a replaceable cord?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Get refurb XM5s from this seller on ebay, comes with free 2 year warranty. When the battery wears out in 3 - 5 years just replace it yourself for $20.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314074071401

If you don't want to wait for them to come back in stock you can get XM4s for less.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274493598619?epid=18040267377
do the over the ear XM4s have the same battery problem as that generation of earbuds? my gf loves her XM3 headphones and i wanna pick up something for airplanes since the buds just dont have the same noise canceling power as an over the ear.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

TenementFunster posted:

do the over the ear XM4s have the same battery problem as that generation of earbuds? my gf loves her XM3 headphones and i wanna pick up something for airplanes since the buds just dont have the same noise canceling power as an over the ear.

I think the problem with that generation concerned the charge circuit primarily. At least one person in this thread had theirs melt during use. Then the replacements they received were picky about what sources they would accept a charge from. I can attest that the WH-1000XM3s I owned briefly put out a worrying amount of heat when I charged them.

The same issues with creaky plastics and slider trim pieces that snap off continue from the XM3 to the XM4, but if you've had good luck in the past with this, this may not be much of a concern.

Oddly enough, the best ANC I've ever experienced by far were the Bose QC Earbuds II, but they were an example of what happens when you put all your points into ANC and neglect everything else. Their sound and battery life are mediocre and the ANC had a really nigh noise floor. This wouldn't be a huge deal, but just like the rest of Bose's current lineup, you can't turn ANC off. They also had audible crosstalk whenever a Bluetooth connection was active, which is not something I'd expect to have to deal with on any electronics made after 2005 (for those of you who remember how awful integrated motherboard audio was back then).

My current set of TWS in-ears are Sony Linkbuds S. Same generation as the XM4s, but may or may not be exempt from the battery issues those have. They're also lighter and have a more neutral sound profile out of the box (according to RTINGS.com). Their ANC performance isn't as good as the class leading on-ears, but since they are IEMs, their passive isolation is much better, so the aggregate performance works out to be about the same. Long term comfort is an issue for me, so I also have a set of Bose QC 35 IIs for when I have the space to bring those with me.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 31, 2023

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Aiite Im finally biting the bullet and getting new headphones for around the house.

Budget - $150ish

Source - mostly my iphone, maybe occasionally my computer.

Use case - chores around the house. I feel bad listening to my phone straight while cooking breakfast on the weekends when no one else is awake. Maybe sometimes while working out, walking the dog, doing other random poo poo.

Preferred features - in-ear is a no-go, Ive tried a lot of them and never found any comfortable. Havent tried the new type of AirPods or beats, but i am doubtful theyd be different (the wife insists I try because airpods work for her so why would they hurt my ears?). I want to be able to hear the world around me, too. Used to have some Bose Open-Ear Sports and loved them, though after a long time wearing them itd be a bit sore. Anyway they broke and after digging in a bit short of just calling Bose it doesnt look like they fix them. Im down to try some new bone conduction ones but have no point of reference for them.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
fwiw AirPods Pro legit fixed my issue with in-ears. Dont know how but they did. Apple also have a great return policy and theyre the best chore headphone

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

101 posted:

fwiw AirPods Pro legit fixed my issue with in-ears. Dont know how but they did. Apple also have a great return policy and theyre the best chore headphone

AirPods Pro have the best noise cancelling and transparency mode implementation in the game

I literally forget Im wearing them sometimes. Worth giving them a shot IMO.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Augh, okay. I guess Ill try it.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
AirPod Pros really need to come with optional wingtips that can fit in the case.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

AirPod Pros really need to come with optional wingtips that can fit in the case.

Beats Fit Pro

theyre basically APP with like 95% of the sound quality and noise cancellation at like 75%-90% of the price

Rodenthar Drothman you might want to peep those too, the winged fit might be more your style than Apples weirdly good/acceptable in-ear only fit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

beats also have the advantage of having first class android support, unlike airpods

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yeah def dont get AirPods if you dont at least daily an iPhone, and ideally a bunch of other compatible Apple ecosystem devices.

I occasionally use mine on my PC, and they definitely arent painful or annoying to use there, but theyre not really ideal for it.

If youre on Android and mainly listen to your phone definitely get the Beats, even if you also have an iPad and/or MacBook or w/e (the Apple-friendly features from AirPods will automatically work on the Beats with those devices, but theres no AirPods equivalent to the Beats control panel for Android so you miss out on the marquee features, by design ofc).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 31, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

how well do air pod pros handle being paired to both an iphone and a windows computer? My experience with bt headphones is that they tend to freak out in that kinda usage and its hard to get it to stay connected to one.

Though I'll probably never buy them until they are way cheaper or have a big used deal or something. The better transparency/iphone integration sounds nice but that price is about double what I've ever spent on headphones. My phone audio usage is 95% podcasts/audiobooks so enhanced sound quality is fairly irrelevant there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Can't speak to Windows specifically but I had mine paired to my Steam Deck over bluetooth and they still understood when I was using them with my iPhone without me needing to do anything.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

trilobite terror posted:

Beats Fit Pro

theyre basically APP with like 95% of the sound quality and noise cancellation at like 75%-90% of the price

Rodenthar Drothman you might want to peep those too, the winged fit might be more your style than Apples weirdly good/acceptable in-ear only fit.

Yeah Im thinking about pulling the trigger on those.

I have some Soundcore Liberty 2 Pros and 3 Pros. I was super happy that the 3 Pros upgraded to touch controls and noise cancelling but Ive been a little disappointed. The wingtips arent as good as the ones that the 2 Pros had and theyve started to flex and rotate to the point that I have to fiddle with them enough that its annoying. And I swear the overall sound quality of the 3 Pros are less balanced than the 2 Pros.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Aiite I’m finally biting the bullet and getting new headphones for around the house.

Budget - $150ish

Source - mostly my iphone, maybe occasionally my computer.

Use case - chores around the house. I feel bad listening to my phone straight while cooking breakfast on the weekends when no one else is awake. Maybe sometimes while working out, walking the dog, doing other random poo poo.

Preferred features - in-ear is a no-go, I’ve tried a lot of them and never found any comfortable. Haven’t tried the new type of AirPods or beats, but i am doubtful they’d be different (the wife insists I try because airpods work for her so why would they hurt my ears?). I want to be able to hear the world around me, too. Used to have some Bose Open-Ear Sports and loved them, though after a long time wearing them it’d be a bit sore. Anyway they broke and after digging in a bit short of just calling Bose it doesn’t look like they fix them. I’m down to try some new bone conduction ones but have no point of reference for them.

If I'm not missing any criteria, the HD58x sre in that price range, open back, and sound grat. They are wired and contain no bells and whistles though.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
welp I pulled a switcheroo on myself and ordered some AirPod Pro 2nd Gens from Target because them and Best Buy marked them down to $189.99. Going to pick them up in an hour or two.

Still very apprehensive due to the lack of wingtips and how I know my ears are, so I ordered some of the Comply memory foam tips from Amazon and they'll arrive Wednesday. If those really don't hold them in my ears decently, I'll figure it out within a few days and be able to return everything before the return window closes.

Since I'm pretty deep in the Apple ecosystem now (iPhone, Watch, MacBook Air, TV 4K in two different rooms) with no sign of turning back I figured it's kind of dumb to not at least try this final major piece of the loadout and take advantage of how they all work in concert.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
They work great together, but if you dont live alone one thing youll probably want to do is turn off a setting on your Apple TV boxes that attempts to automatically connect to nearby AirPods. Or you may get a lot of pop up boxes on your TV as you walk past.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Okay. Trip report: everyone, listen to your spouse. Apparently Apple / modern designs solved whatever my problem was with earbuds. AirPods Pro on sale at Best Buy as previously reported, work like a charm.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I, uh, am very impressed with the AirPods Pro 2nd Gen after a few hours of use. Really loving cool device. And of course they sound great.

Spacial audio is kinda nice for podcasts with a lot of talking heads, and is pretty fun to use with the Apple TV 4K. Impressive sub bass clarity.

Music sounds better as just regular stereo.

And best of all, they fit way better than I expected. In the past, any other earbuds I've used without wingtips just fall out. These are staying in fine with the stock medium tips. I'm honestly shocked. Maybe it's the fact that the tips are oval shaped and not round? I'm still gonna try the Comply foam tips when they arrive but it's nice to know they're not as necessary as I feared.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

I, uh, am very impressed with the AirPods Pro 2nd Gen after a few hours of use. Really loving cool device. And of course they sound great.

Spacial audio is kinda nice for podcasts with a lot of talking heads, and is pretty fun to use with the Apple TV 4K. Impressive sub bass clarity.

Music sounds better as just regular stereo.

And best of all, they fit way better than I expected. In the past, any other earbuds I've used without wingtips just fall out. These are staying in fine with the stock medium tips. I'm honestly shocked. Maybe it's the fact that the tips are oval shaped and not round? I'm still gonna try the Comply foam tips when they arrive but it's nice to know they're not as necessary as I feared.

if you change the tips, recalibrate the buds in Settings

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'd really urge anyone who has trouble with IEMs to try some 3rd party tips. Spinfit CP145s are pretty much a guaranteed fit on any IEM I throw them on once I found my size. Sedna Xelastec is super weird but also solves a bunch of comfort and stability issues. It's annoying and expensive to figure out which are the tips for you, but I'm convinced that no matter what your ears are like there are tips out there that will work. They just probably aren't in the box with your IEM.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Can confirm.

In-ears are the product type that has the wildest variation on performance due to fit, and the traditional cylindrical nozzle design can pose problems for your ear canal.

If you like your earbuds but they're uncomfortable, fall out, or just all of a sudden don't block out noise/lose bass, the issue is the fit. It can most often be solved with new tips (assuming the nozzle/housing isn't too big for your ear)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
As one of the weirdos with an Android phone, an iPad, and a Mac, I can vouch for Beats Studio Buds+ playing nicely across ecosystems. It's not multipoint, but frankly, I have always found multipoint to be extremely janky (other than my Poly Voyager, but that's an entirely different class of product).

I will say that I am struggling to find an XS/SS ear tip that works for me with the Beats buds, much more so than for any of my wired IEMs (where Spinfit CP100+ SS, Final Type E XS, and Moondrop Spring S all work great for me). The included one - and major props to Beats for even bothering to include XS tips - feel nice but work loose over time. The Spinfit CP360 is a hair too large and occasionally causes my ear canal to start spasming. Not great. I am going to try the Azla at some point - they make both SS and SSS in their TWS Crystal line, but trying both will set me back nearly $40. Having weird ears is expensive. :homebrew:

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Well went to change eartips and one of my BL03s just popped apart, kind of interesting, they still work at least, time to give some super glue a try.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Budget - Around $200
Source - 90% my iPhone, occasionally an iPad or my computer.
Intended use case - Mostly used walking the dog during the day, walks/hikes at night, and for use hanging in my hammock while camping. Occasionally I will use them to listen on my computer.
Preferred Headphone features - None really. I dont need noise cancelling I dont think. I dont need a mic. I'd prefer something more durable so maybe something with a replaceable cord?

I got these cheap on ebay - https://www.fiio.com/fd3

Theyre comfortable in my ear and sound good so I'm happy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rakeris posted:

Well went to change eartips and one of my BL03s just popped apart, kind of interesting, they still work at least, time to give some super glue a try.

Sexy ear wax closeup

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Are non Bluetooth wireless headphones still a thing? I want a pair of cheapos ($30?) so I can watch TV at night while holding a baby. I'd prefer over the ear, but not opposed to on ear if they fit big ol domes. I've got a Samsung smart TV that is about 9 years old. I do not care about high quality audio, I'll probably watch Seinfeld and regular show and such.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Are non Bluetooth wireless headphones still a thing? I want a pair of cheapos ($30?) so I can watch TV at night while holding a baby. I'd prefer over the ear, but not opposed to on ear if they fit big ol domes. I've got a Samsung smart TV that is about 9 years old. I do not care about high quality audio, I'll probably watch Seinfeld and regular show and such.

Yes they are a thing, but they aren't really cheap. A lot of them are geared to the gamer market since 2.4ghz low latency wireless is useful to that use case, also a lot of them rely on USB dongles which probably won't work with a TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, RF wireless headphones are still around. I probably wouldn't go bottom of the barrel cheap only because of pure quality/longevity concerns as well as connection stability. Whichever ones you look at, look in to how they would connect to your TV vs how you would actually connect it to your TV.