Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was told by Millennium Challenge truthers that ASM speedboats were impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

skooma512 posted:

:thunk: Capitalism leads to overproduction and waste and violent contractions in employment? Some German guy wrote a book like that.

Hasn’t worldwide steel production increased on account of China producing staggering amounts of steel?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Orange Devil posted:

Hasn’t worldwide steel production increased on account of China producing staggering amounts of steel?

i cant believe a country where most people lives in reinforced concrete needs so much steel

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

sounds like his fuckup was stealing 35 million. He should've stolen more like 35 billion and integrated his corruption into several state economies. Then he'd have senators demanding the investigation be stopped.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
"Thai Seal Team of travelling prostitutes"

That would make a fine Scorsese movie.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

That's 348 million pounds of 2007 era British offshore patrol vessel run off by a couple speedboats.

After looking up what the HMS Trent is armed with uh.... some machine guns. And a single 30mm.

JFC. The rot has really set in if that's all the RAN got for that much money.

Edit - this is what 348 million pounds gets you https://www.seaforces.org/marint/Royal-Navy/Patrol-Vessel/P-224-HMS-Trent.htm

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Dec 31, 2023

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Orange Devil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1qgNaYzQTU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

lmao that's like watching the US empire crumble. You can see unions getting hosed, Reagan elected, Japan loving up its own economy, and then China shows up going lol Chinese century

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Goddamn it makes sense that the countries like India, China, the US that are basically subcontinents are the highest producers. But go Japan you crazy islands with almost no iron in the ground.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

I’ve got some news about the economic system of China.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

PawParole posted:

Is it about to collapse?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

BearsBearsBears posted:

Is it about to collapse?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

That's 348 million pounds of 2007 era British offshore patrol vessel run off by a couple speedboats.

After looking up what the HMS Trent is armed with uh.... some machine guns. And a single 30mm.

JFC. The rot has really set in if that's all the RAN got for that much money.

Edit - this is what 348 million pounds gets you https://www.seaforces.org/marint/Royal-Navy/Patrol-Vessel/P-224-HMS-Trent.htm

I like how the pictures have been arranged so you can scroll down and see the ship rusting over time

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

PawParole posted:

now that the us is the periphery revolution is finally possible :getin:

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Centrist Committee posted:

now that the us is the periphery revolution is finally possible :getin:

the weakest and strongest link in the chain at the same time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I like how the pictures have been arranged so you can scroll down and see the ship rusting over time

You may think this is a sign of systemic institutional rot but akshully it's because the paint is so high tech and long lasting it can only be repaired in dry dock and the high speed low drag crews don't need to bother

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That's load bearing rust actually. Makes it stronger by bonding the steel, high tech paint and salt water in a new "bubbly" composite.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
sort of a mixed bag here. Not an endorsement.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Lmfao

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...sh=31e2b1a524f4

In an Emergency, The Royal Navy Might Have No Choice But To Stick Missiles On Its Patrol Ships

quote:

Looking to other users of River-type vessels for inspiration, trade publication Navy Lookout recently proposed several possible “up-gunning” schemes that could transform the Batch 2s into front-line warships.

All the schemes involve existing “bolt-on” systems that don’t require new research-and-development or deep—and expensive—modification of the hull.

The most heavily-armed mod moves the 30-millimeter cannon amidships and adds a second unit; bolts on a Bofors 57-millimeter main gun; adds decoy launchers and new surveillance and fire-control radars; stacks onto the aft deck eight box launchers for anti-ship missiles; and replaces existing small boats with a gun-armed unmanned surface vehicle.

The anti-ship missile is key. And several companies build containerized missiles that could fit the bill.

The Naval Strike Missile from Norwegian firm Kongsberg is among the most popular. The U.S. Navy is adding the 100-mile-range NSM to its Littoral Combat Ships. And if the Canadian navy ever decides to up-arm its own OPVs, the NSM is the obvious choice.

All these additions effectively would make a Batch 2 River a corvette rather than an OPV. A River-class corvette could pose a serious threat to enemy warships. It would remain vulnerable to submarines and aircraft, however, owing to its lack of sonar and surface-to-air missiles.

And a corvette conversion wouldn’t be cheap, of course. A single NSM alone costs $2 million.

Still, up-gunning the OPVs could be the Royal Navy’s only option for quickly expanding its front-line fleet in a crisis. After all, the Royal Navy doesn’t keep decommissioned surface combatants in reserve. Instead, it sells them. And building a new frigate or destroyer takes years and costs hundreds of millions—if not billions—of dollars.

These conceptual River-class corvettes could be a handy expedient, but don’t count on them to fight in major naval battles far from British shores. The Batch 2 Rivers, each displacing just 2,000 tons of water, need a lot of support to travel long distances. “OPVs are not normally built for endurance,” explained Jerry Hendrix, author of To Provide and Maintain a Navy.

A tanker or other logistics ship could “drag” an OPV between continents by sailing alongside and periodically refueling the smaller vessel. But the Royal Navy has cut its logistics flotilla as deeply as it has cut the front-line force. There are no tankers to spare.

Gone from the world's largest navy to front line surface combatants being tankers dragging patrol boats with no ASW or anti air capability

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Lmfao

In an Emergency, The Royal Navy Might Have No Choice But To Stick Missiles On Its Patrol Ships

Gone from the world's largest navy to front line surface combatants being tankers dragging patrol boats with no ASW or anti air capability

ansar allah:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What’s going on between Venezuela and the UK right now exactly?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

sort of a mixed bag here. Not an endorsement.

I saw that the title was "Reforging Excalibur" and immediately assumed this was FFs book but the publication date doesn't fit. You're very right on it being a mixed bag.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lmfao

The RN OPVs are theoretically fine in an environment where they are purely interdicting commercial shipping for inspections and doing routine sea stuff. Such an environment would be the waters near the homeland where I'm sure there is a lot of shipping daily. Territorial integrity etc.

(I might argue that Britain has zero territorial integrity the way they keep getting swarmed by non citizens but that's none of my business)

The problem comes from paying far far too much for them and also thinking that ship = gunboat, hey lets send in OPV off to push the natives around a bit. Oh poo poo they're packing heat get the gently caress outta there Commodore!

edit for dumb typos

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 08:30 on Dec 31, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

PawParole posted:

Yeah I’m just saying that the whole narrative of worldwide steel production and demand being stagnant or whatever is false. It was increasing, but in China, whose government was smart enough to develop crucial industries like that domestically rather than relying on the market. And now they own the market. Many such cases!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

galagazombie posted:

What’s going on between Venezuela and the UK right now exactly?

Britian sent that warship as a show of force in support of Guyana.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
what are they going to do, steal all their gold a second time?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
its p funny that the hard counter to the much-vaunted western naval supremacy is the ability to shoot back

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

OhFunny posted:

Britian sent that warship as a show of force in support of Guyana.

This is good poo poo. The reason Venezuela restarted a very old dispute with Guyana to begin with was because the regional player smells blood after the Israeli-Palestine war and knew the US empire was over stretched and this is a very good window to reshuffle the sphere of influence landmarks. India restarted fights with Pakistan; Myanmar civil war restarted.

And the US empire is currently over stretched, they had to deligate some pitiful 2k toned non-corvette over, from their imperial underling, and the boat was wholly unprepared for the smallest conflict.

Maybe Ansar Allah should ceremonially give Venezuela a couple anti-ship missiles.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 11:42 on Dec 31, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BearsBearsBears posted:

I saw that the title was "Reforging Excalibur" and immediately assumed this was FFs book but the publication date doesn't fit. You're very right on it being a mixed bag.

Yeah, the William Lind guy is out there, even more so than a standard socially conservative military theory obsessive. Upset that the real problem with racism in America is that reconstruction was bad for the American South, not stuff like slavery and Jim Crow.

Also real obsessed with "cultural Marxism" being bad for Christians and how it may cause a civil war in America. Also says that all this diversity, gay men, and women are ruining once strong manly militaries, and they must go.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
One day, FF will return to us ....

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hubbert posted:

https://youtu.be/Jj9STmoRkeA?si=JqZxHAqqgR8g8ONf

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

hang on, let me try something:

why should we even buy any more artillery? rockets can do everything better

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

FF has to focus all his psychic powers to maintain his cool since he's with the NATO wife inlaws for the holidays or whatever

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Hubbert posted:

As soon as the current Russian attack is over.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cao Ni Ma posted:

FF has to focus all his psychic powers to maintain his cool since he's with the NATO wife inlaws for the holidays or whatever

the hot SİL with the louboutins is gonna give him covid again

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

poisonpill posted:

hang on, let me try something:

why should we even buy any more artillery? rockets can do everything better

yeah there's no reason to retain that antiquated technology, just upgrade all the batteries to rockets and get it over with

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

whats the difference between the two i:s i turkish?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Megamissen posted:

whats the difference between the two i:s i turkish?

İ is the capital form of the normal i. I is the capital of ı, which sounds like... a little like "uh" but not quite.

iOS 17 changed autocomplete so it mixes languages. good for code switching mid sentence but leads to weird results sometimes.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Jeff has to increase the single post character limit before FF can return.

Or when the Russians get to the Dnieper river, whichever happens first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

We miss our FF, don't we folks? We do, we do, we miss him.