Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Oldstench posted:

There's an episode where President Sheen has a debate with a vaguely G.W. Bush repub candidate and owns him so hard with logic and good Democratic talking points that the dub-alike comes up to him and tells him that he wiped the floor with him. Sheen commends him on a well fought battle. It's so loving stupid and unrealistic it circles around to great comedy.
And that president's name? Albert Einstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think this has been mentioned already: Now and Then, the "new" "last" Beatles track. I heard in on an oldies radio station in my area (yes, these still exist and yes I listen to one of them); it did nothing for me at all. Too weird, too much A.I trickery.

If Now and Then was left off of the Anthology albums, there's probably a reason. It's not like Free As A Bird or Real Love particularly set the world on fire either, but this latest song is....not good.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
don't let the hype fool you

all the "AI" did was clean noise off of the formerly unusable recordings

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

deoju posted:

I'll see your Parks and Rec, and raise you West Wing. I tried to rewatching it during the pandemic. It's just so hopelessly naive and facile in the age of Trump.

Sorkin's recurring 'good, principaled republican' characters are loving laughable now.

The Mercator projection scene haunts my nightmares

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I maintain that 30 Rock is one of the only few sitcoms of that era that still holds true, and it's because the show was cynical as gently caress. It portrays Liz Lemon as an annoying know-it-all white feminist who is racist and hypocritical, and it's the story of her ascending into elitism while trying to deny that's what she's doing.

This is how you get a show where the characters can joke that the middle class is dying and the poor will be renting forever, which while it hurts is also so much more relatable than 'if a blonde woman works really hard for us, maybe the world can change'

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Greg12 posted:

don't let the hype fool you

all the "AI" did was clean noise off of the formerly unusable recordings

Aw. Just imagine the music a seven fingered AI George Harrison could've made.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My favorite fictional President remains President Whitmore, and he always struck me as right out of Sorkin Casting 101.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

John Wayne. I've spoken about how much I loathe this fascist in the PHUO thread. Wayne loved to play tough guy cowboys in big movies but you know someone who talks that tough was a pants pissing coward. Honestly just not at all impressed with his alleged manliness.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

John Wayne. I've spoken about how much I loathe this fascist in the PHUO thread. Wayne loved to play tough guy cowboys in big movies but you know someone who talks that tough was a pants pissing coward. Honestly just not at all impressed with his alleged manliness.

I love that people are coming around to hating him.

I remember the legit shock I felt in 1990 or so when I heard the Public Enemy song "Fight the Power" and the line in it: "Mutha gently caress him (referring to Elvis) and John Wayne"!

I had to look up both, and learned.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42wKnBF7bEk&t=31s

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

one of my favorite shows of all time has an episode titled "gently caress john wayne" where a character gives a great monologue about why john wayne sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUKyQ2A_kY

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Dude was a fascist named Marian lmao

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Never forget that John Ford relentlessly mocked
John Wayne while filming The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I think this has been mentioned already: Now and Then, the "new" "last" Beatles track. I heard in on an oldies radio station in my area (yes, these still exist and yes I listen to one of them); it did nothing for me at all. Too weird, too much A.I trickery.

The song is just blah nothing and I'm pretty sure no-ones putting it on repeat. The video is sickeningly bad, great job turning the majestic Beatles into a clown show of silly outfits and weird gurning. At least the Free As A Bird video has a bit of gravitas and mystique about it, I still get a bit teary when Martha goes running by.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The song is maudlin. I hate John.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Let us agree to erase our pasts

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

TIP posted:

one of my favorite shows of all time has an episode titled "gently caress john wayne"

pls see username

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

the PHUO thread

The what?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

(Personally held) Unpopular Opinion thread in PYF.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I will never understand why people like ABBA. I find absolutely nothing redeeming in their music or anything else about them. May I never hear their music, including cover versions, ever again.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
John Wayne from a 1971 interview in Playboy Magazine.

quote:

Wayne: With a lot of blacks, there's quite a bit of resentment along with their dissent, and possibly rightfully so. But we can't all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn everything over to the leadership of the blacks. I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.

PHUO thread? what's that?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Unpopular Opinion thread in PYF.

I'm glad hating Marion is pretty mainstream. One of my uncles is a Vietnam veteran, went through some poo poo in the war and had a long recovery. Marion Wayne is one of his heroes and it's baffling that he doesn't see through the tough guy act.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Unpopular Opinion thread in PYF.

I'm glad hating Marion is pretty mainstream. One of my uncles is a Vietnam veteran, went through some poo poo in the war and had a long recovery. Marion Wayne is one of his heroes and it's baffling that he doesn't see through the tough guy act.

People worship Trump as some macho guy. People can believe anything.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

BattyKiara posted:

I will never understand why people like ABBA. I find absolutely nothing redeeming in their music or anything else about them. May I never hear their music, including cover versions, ever again.

ABBA had one good song (Take a Chance On Me), a few OK songs (Dancing Queen, Waterloo, Fernando), and a whole pile of forgettable trash.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Pirates of The Carribean. I rooted for the Royal Navy. I'm just not into the whole Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow schtick.

And you know, real life pirates were and still are terrible human beings. Everyone thinks pirates are kewl and it would be sweet to be a pirate, but they're jerks!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Pirates of The Carribean. I rooted for the Royal Navy. I'm just not into the whole Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow schtick.

And you know, real life pirates were and still are terrible human beings. Everyone thinks pirates are kewl and it would be sweet to be a pirate, but they're jerks!

Royal Navy account spotted

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mulaney Power Move posted:

But what are your feelings on the wench auction?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The scene that really does it for me is when Jack Sparry single handedly steals the brig. It's a fantasy movie and Jack Sparrow is supposed to be incredible, so I can't criticize too much. But, that's like if you had a movie about a great football player and he goes out on the field alone and throws himself a touchdown. Even if that movie had football teams full of cursed fishmen you'd say "That's ludicrous."

I've read a lot of Patrick O'Brian.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This lady does a solid once-over of the entire series with a sharp eye for the narrative virtues and shortcomings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=558Isjlc6LE

The tl;dw is that Jack Sparrow is meant to be a Trickster God a' la Loki and so are all of the villains, and needs to be viewed through that context instead of "that's not how you cut a gib!"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I tried to look up the scene but I think I might be imagining something that never happened. I thought there was a scene where he singlehandedly cuts out a ship from port and he's like jumping around the rigging and going from mast to mast like an acrobat and making sail and unmooring the thing all by himself.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Positively 4th Street. It's a diss song that goes on and on and on without really saying much. I don't especially "get" Dylan's appeal that much.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I like that song and Bob Dylan but he was a tremendous rear end in a top hat and he is absolutely horrible now. He can't even form words. It's just growls and grunts.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Everybody who covers a Dylan song does it better than Dylan. There are some great Dylan covers.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Das Boo posted:

Everybody who covers a Dylan song does it better than Dylan. There are some great Dylan covers.

At live shows Dylan performs All Along the Watchtower in the style of Hendrix.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Except instead of "all along the watchtower" he sings "arhghgharaorower"

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Bob Dylan sucks

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

rodbeard posted:

Bob Dylan sucks

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Virtually everything that was popular with the baby boomer generation is really incredibly lovely in retrospect. Just a whole generation that loved cruelty and shittiness as long as it supported the idea of them getting to do whatever they wanted with no consequences and reinforced their belief that they were always right about everything.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

"Everybody" is maybe not accurate but nerds who post on the internet about scifi (like myself) sure like Ian M. Banks in general and his Culture series in particular. I've never been able to make it past 50 pages, he takes wild concepts and makes them feel prosaic, and if I could describe his writing style in one word it would be "masturbatory".

Speaking of making things prosaic, D&D sucks the fantasy out of everything it touches.

Also I feel like the public is starting to come around on not liking Bill Murray but I'm ahead of the curve there by a few decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Re: Bill Murray

Ghostbusters is the most overrated movie of all time and actually sucks a lot. Insecure nerds on the internet latch onto it and the “they caught lightning in a bottle” story surrounding it as an incredibly pitiful myth of “the good old days when movies were good and men were men”