Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I like that the doctor from iZombie us getting work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I liked The Creator, on Hulu, overall, albeit mostly for the art and ideas. Some of the things it put on the screen looked like cover and concept art I always wished had a place in movies when I was a kid; the mega-architecture, the combination of human-like and obvious robots, the giant floating missile platform Nomad, it was all very satisfying to see and they knew exactly how to shoot it. They loved the profile shots with the androids, if you like seeing the weird, whirring mechanics in the back of their heads don't worry, you're in for a lot of it. I do wonder why, if they're just trying to live in peace among the humans, they don't cover it up or at least better protect the literal standby and off switches that they don't seem to know are easily accessible on the back of their head. I loved that people who weren't used to AI were shocked at how human they were, and even I was startled by the post-mortem interrogation scene (I think that's actually been in a few things before now that I'm thinking about it, but I don't remember it being like that). Plot-wise it was about as predictable as any sci-fi movie written for normal people, but the big laser cross hair sweeping across the landscape, giving you a different perspective on how high space is and how big the ship is, carries it for you.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Inspector Hound posted:

I liked The Creator, on Hulu, overall, albeit mostly for the art and ideas. Some of the things it put on the screen looked like cover and concept art I always wished had a place in movies when I was a kid; the mega-architecture, the combination of human-like and obvious robots, the giant floating missile platform Nomad, it was all very satisfying to see and they knew exactly how to shoot it. They loved the profile shots with the androids, if you like seeing the weird, whirring mechanics in the back of their heads don't worry, you're in for a lot of it. I do wonder why, if they're just trying to live in peace among the humans, they don't cover it up or at least better protect the literal standby and off switches that they don't seem to know are easily accessible on the back of their head. I loved that people who weren't used to AI were shocked at how human they were, and even I was startled by the post-mortem interrogation scene (I think that's actually been in a few things before now that I'm thinking about it, but I don't remember it being like that). Plot-wise it was about as predictable as any sci-fi movie written for normal people, but the big laser cross hair sweeping across the landscape, giving you a different perspective on how high space is and how big the ship is, carries it for you.

I've only just started watching this, and it has one of the weirdest needle drops i've ever seen. 'Everything In It's Right Place' during an action scene just did not do it for me.

Hoping they set a car chase to 'True Love Waits', or maybe 'Hey Ya'.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

frogbs posted:

I've only just started watching this, and it has one of the weirdest needle drops i've ever seen. 'Everything In It's Right Place' during an action scene just did not do it for me.

Hoping they set a car chase to 'True Love Waits', or maybe 'Hey Ya'.

The tone of the movie is very much all over the place. Like at one point the protagonist recruits a van full of children to smuggle him across the border, then almost gets them all killed with seemingly zero remorse about that or concern for their safety, and then it's played for laughs with the protagonist asking if any of the kids had fun. It's just a major ?????

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

frogbs posted:

Honestly I loved that moment. It was a banger on IMAX what can I say. Thought it worked for the mood (at least in that specific scene).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Papercut posted:

The tone of the movie is very much all over the place. Like at one point the protagonist recruits a van full of children to smuggle him across the border, then almost gets them all killed with seemingly zero remorse about that or concern for their safety, and then it's played for laughs with the protagonist asking if any of the kids had fun. It's just a major ?????

lmfao ok I think I need to watch this movie immediately

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Papercut posted:

Yeah, the movie alternates between caring for the lives of people and robots, or not giving a poo poo at all. It's all over the place.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Papercut posted:

The joke is that the protagonist is a bad person trying to downplay the situation.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The joke is that the protagonist is a bad person trying to downplay the situation.

Yeah I mean the film beats you over the head with "All Americans are Bad" to a cartoonish extent, it's not subtle.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Papercut posted:

Yeah I mean the film beats you over the head with "All Americans are Bad" to a cartoonish extent, it's not subtle.

I hate when movies have blue skies too

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I hate when movies have blue skies too

I definitely like movies that tell a story with more depth to it than I can get by looking out the window for two seconds

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Creator was silly but it proved that we can make CGI great again. It's possible!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Creator's needle drops are beyond criticism because it introduces the hovering bombardment platform with Fly Me to the Moon. To hell with being coy with homages, the American's straight up have a loving Angel from Evangelion!

And then in the final act, John David Washington gets to the Angel... by hijacking a space ship flying to the moon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The spaceship is the definition of "who cares it looks cool", which to be clear I'm mostly fine with. But it's very silly. Like, nothing about it makes any sense. America decided to wipe out all of the AI, so their answer was to build exactly one giant spaceship and use it to "stealthily" hover over vunerable, small elite squads of soldiers. By stealthily I mean it has a giant blue laser on at all times that everyone within 1000 miles can see. And it's actual weapon capabilities seem less than a regular drone that the US has in 2024. I guess it isn't any stupider than a Star Destroyer from Star Wars and I like those so whatever.

There's like, so much about that movie that just doesn't really work. The Americans are supposed to be entirely unsympathetic, but at the same time they are retaliating to an attack that killed hundreds of millions of people. I guess the point is that the US likes to invade countries over the actions of a small group or in this case single entity, which, fair enough. But it doesn't even say why this lone AI decided to do this, it' just sort of glossed over which I think throws the tone out of whack. Then there's the AI themselves. They can potentially do stuff like interface with nukes, but at the same time they hav all the same vulnerabilities as a human? They can't just fix themselves or get a new body or even jump into a computer? Ok, why? Some AIs seem to feel the need to look human, some don't I guess. The ones that do require a "face donor". someone needs to volunteer to have their face scanned. It also appears this can only be done once. Why is this necessary? And the ones that look human seem to want use it to blend in, but at the same time have giant robot holes in the sides of their heads....

Then there is the weapon. A kid that can turn off the big spaceship. And the kid must sacrifice herself? I dunno I feel asleep during the part where they go to the ship, but woke up when the kid makes it out so that didn't happen anyways. Why would someone re-create their own child as a suicide bomber? Did they say why they can't just shoot missiles at the super giant ship that moves around glacially? I dunno. Also the kid seems to have started out as a robo fetus so I guess the robot grew?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, it's a decent sci fi movie that looks cool (again I think it's a movie yall shouldve caught in IMAX if seen at all), has some fun needledrops and death machines (the code geass/Evangelion rear end orbital platform was great, also liked the suicide bomber robots) and it's unrelenting in how America and every American character onscreen is monstrous in some way. What more could you want really?
It definitely couldve used some editing down and tweaking though.
I guess it's not the most complex or original thing but I'm sure it's got a better plot than those Mass Effect games yall were obsessing about 35 years ago or whatever

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's Gareth Edwards who I generally like, so I hold it to a slightly higher standard than like, Michael Bay. Not that his movies are generally brilliant. They mostly look cool. Which The Creator definitely does. But I felt like they could have done a much better job of making the world make any sense.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

The spaceship is the definition of "who cares it looks cool", which to be clear I'm mostly fine with. But it's very silly. Like, nothing about it makes any sense. America decided to wipe out all of the AI, so their answer was to build exactly one giant spaceship and use it to "stealthily" hover over vunerable, small elite squads of soldiers. By stealthily I mean it has a giant blue laser on at all times that everyone within 1000 miles can see. And it's actual weapon capabilities seem less than a regular drone that the US has in 2024. I guess it isn't any stupider than a Star Destroyer from Star Wars and I like those so whatever.

There's like, so much about that movie that just doesn't really work. The Americans are supposed to be entirely unsympathetic, but at the same time they are retaliating to an attack that killed hundreds of millions of people. I guess the point is that the US likes to invade countries over the actions of a small group or in this case single entity, which, fair enough. But it doesn't even say why this lone AI decided to do this, it' just sort of glossed over which I think throws the tone out of whack. Then there's the AI themselves. They can potentially do stuff like interface with nukes, but at the same time they hav all the same vulnerabilities as a human? They can't just fix themselves or get a new body or even jump into a computer? Ok, why? Some AIs seem to feel the need to look human, some don't I guess. The ones that do require a "face donor". someone needs to volunteer to have their face scanned. It also appears this can only be done once. Why is this necessary? And the ones that look human seem to want use it to blend in, but at the same time have giant robot holes in the sides of their heads....

Then there is the weapon. A kid that can turn off the big spaceship. And the kid must sacrifice herself? I dunno I feel asleep during the part where they go to the ship, but woke up when the kid makes it out so that didn't happen anyways. Why would someone re-create their own child as a suicide bomber? Did they say why they can't just shoot missiles at the super giant ship that moves around glacially? I dunno. Also the kid seems to have started out as a robo fetus so I guess the robot grew?

I just couldn't get past the fact that the country with vastly more advanced AI capabilities was at an almost unfathomable technological disadvantage, like they have these super advanced robots but the only weapons they have to fight the megatanks and the deathstar are Vietnam War-era rifles and sandbags.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah it's funny, I didn't even really consider that. These are all pretty valid questions, I guess I just had a couple beers and went hogwild, which is usually the best kind of theater experience. It was just a little bit too long for me. The first time I moviepassed it I fell asleep at some point, but this was the era of moviepass (not long ago) where I had more credits than I could ever possibly use so I just went back the next day.
Also I don't hold Gareth Edwards to any higher standard or expectation than Michael Bay tbh. :shrug: if anything I expect less from him than Bay, lmk when Gareth Edwards makes The Rock.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 2, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think my biggest problem with it is that it ultimately seems to have no idea if it's Star Wars fantasy stuff or hard sci-fi. From the onset it seems really confused about what it is, when it opens with Fallout-esque retro future footage of AI robots from like, the 1940's. What was the point of this? They do absolutely nothing with it and it doesn't seem to influence the rest of the movie at all. Did they think that it was just too hard to believe that irl 40 years from now, AI robots could be running around? I can believe that just fine. I don't need the context of AI advancements piquing almost 100 years before 2024. I'd be fine with this part, but the movie doesn't do anything with it. It doesn't influence the style or story at all. It's just there for the sake of being there. Then they just drop it after the opening credits and it seems like a continuation of our own universe. Then the actual movie starts and almost nothing about the world makes any sense. I have no problem suspending my disbelief, but this movie uses real countries and cultures and events, which gives it a sense that it should be far more grounded in reality than it is. Instead it's basically just star wars , which sets one of the weirdest tones I've ever seen.

The movie it reminded me of the most was Elysium. In fact the whole thing felt more like a PG version of a lower tier Neill Blomkamp movie. Except Elysium was about 10 times more entertaining. I definitely didn't fall asleep watching that one. And at least it mostly makes sense (mostly). Both movies are very dumb and very pretty to look at though.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

veni veni veni posted:

I think my biggest problem with it is that it ultimately seems to have no idea if it's Star Wars fantasy stuff or hard sci-fi. From the onset it seems really confused about what it is, when it opens with Fallout-esque retro future footage of AI robots from like, the 1940's. What was the point of this? They do absolutely nothing with it and it doesn't seem to influence the rest of the movie at all.

The point is that the movie takes place in a retrofuturistic alternate universe where humans have developed Star Wars technology instead of what we’re familiar with. So it’s literally a Star Wars movie set on Earth, with advanced ‘droids’ and holograms, but no real mention of an internet. The prologue establishes the important distinction between “60 Years From Now” and “120 Years Since Alternate-WWII”.

Star Wars itself was never purely scifi or fantasy, since those genre distinctions are actually far more blurry than people tend to think. Perhaps they are even nonexistent, because you can easily approach Star Wars from a ‘scientific’ standpoint. Fantasy is less a quality of an artwork than it is an approach by the reader: what do you fantasize about these robots and aliens? One example, from the Alien fandom, is that some fans believe the titular aliens never eat anything; their bodies just generate energy and mass by magic. In that way, Alien is made into a fantasy movie.

The part where you say The Creator didn’t make sense is really the part where you failed to make sense of it, since nothing in the movie is particularly impossible - and even impossible, fantastical sequences in a movie can be interpreted in terms of the characters’ psychologies (e.g. dream sequences, hallucinations, beliefs, fictions…). Give it a shot.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 3, 2024

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

veni veni veni posted:

I think my biggest problem with it is that it ultimately seems to have no idea if it's Star Wars fantasy stuff or hard sci-fi. From the onset it seems really confused about what it is, when it opens with Fallout-esque retro future footage of AI robots from like, the 1940's. What was the point of this? They do absolutely nothing with it and it doesn't seem to influence the rest of the movie at all. Did they think that it was just too hard to believe that irl 40 years from now, AI robots could be running around? I can believe that just fine. I don't need the context of AI advancements piquing almost 100 years before 2024. I'd be fine with this part, but the movie doesn't do anything with it. It doesn't influence the style or story at all. It's just there for the sake of being there. Then they just drop it after the opening credits and it seems like a continuation of our own universe. Then the actual movie starts and almost nothing about the world makes any sense. I have no problem suspending my disbelief, but this movie uses real countries and cultures and events, which gives it a sense that it should be far more grounded in reality than it is. Instead it's basically just star wars , which sets one of the weirdest tones I've ever seen.

The movie it reminded me of the most was Elysium. In fact the whole thing felt more like a PG version of a lower tier Neill Blomkamp movie. Except Elysium was about 10 times more entertaining. I definitely didn't fall asleep watching that one. And at least it mostly makes sense (mostly). Both movies are very dumb and very pretty to look at though.

That feels like the definition of studio-mandated content

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
wtf there are homages to evangelion in The Creator????? I'm watching this poo poo tonight.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I enjoyed The Creator for what it was; someone trying to adapt a beautiful book of movie concept art that also had Ken Watanabe in a supporting role.

It’s completely fine, there are far worse ways to spend 2 hours.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The REAL Goobusters posted:

wtf there are homages to evangelion in The Creator????? I'm watching this poo poo tonight.

It’s extremely anime in style, like a shot-by-shot recreation of a 1980s OVA that doesn’t exist.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The basic scenario is very 80s anime as well, with the male lead needing to protect a psychic girl he found in a laboratory.

It's an Hollywood take on the concept, though, so they're surrogate dad and surrogate daughter instead of two 14-year-olds.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I enjoyed The Creator for what it was; someone trying to adapt a beautiful book of movie concept art that also had Ken Watanabe in a supporting role.

It’s completely fine, there are far worse ways to spend 2 hours.

Exactly. I encourage people to keep trying this because at least it has something redeeming (the visual style) rather than a lot of sci-fi these days. I felt like Rebel Moon was equally boring and dumb in story but didn't have the same cool visuals to lean on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Modern Leper posted:

That feels like the definition of studio-mandated content

Not sure I follow.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

veni veni veni posted:

Not sure I follow.

The Fallout-style introduction sounds like something that was imposed by the studio to justify the advanced technology.

I hear what you're saying, that they didn't trust the audience. The fact that the rest of the movie doesn't play with it, plus the fact that the rest of the movie feels more "not too distant future" than "total alternative history of technology," makes me think that it came from a studio note and not the original draft of the script.

EDIT: I might have misread your original post a little. I read your original post as saying the majority of the movie felt like "40 years from now" but had a forced framing device suggesting that there had been 100 years invested into the development of AI. If the setting doesn't make sense in other ways, then I don't know what they were doing.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 3, 2024

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
The NOMAD with its blue targeting system gets extra brownie points from me.
Those tanks were great too although I was hoping they would deploy like siege tanks in StarCraft.

Either way, much better than Rebel Moon in the battle of generic sci-fi movies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Modern Leper posted:

The Fallout-style introduction sounds like something that was imposed by the studio to justify the advanced technology.

I hear what you're saying, that they didn't trust the audience. The fact that the rest of the movie doesn't play with it, plus the fact that the rest of the movie feels more "not too distant future" than "total alternative history of technology," makes me think that it came from a studio note and not the original draft of the script.

EDIT: I might have misread your original post a little. I read your original post as saying the majority of the movie felt like "40 years from now" but had a forced framing device suggesting that there had been 100 years invested into the development of AI. If the setting doesn't make sense in other ways, then I don't know what they were doing.

Ah, gotcha. I just wasn't sure what part you were referring to.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The technology in The Creator largely isn’t advanced; it’s the exact same chunky, outdated garbage as in James Cameron’s Aliens. They have near-perfect replicants, crazy industrial megastructures, and effortless space travel - but those are, seemingly, the only major innovations. Specifically, computers in The Creator are poo poo. Some dude in the backstory managed to figure out human-like brains, using extremely rudimentary technology by today’s standards - hinting that sapience was not just a matter of building better computers.

The only reason The Creator has an explanatory prologue, while Aliens does not, is because Cameron thought his film would be reasonably accurate. A film made today needs to explain why there’s no internet and TVs are CRT.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it's less that I'm opposed to any of the ideas in the Creator and more that I just think it didn't do a great job selling them. I definitely don't need every bit of sci fi to be the expanse, but it's gotta feel like all the parts work together and I just don't think they do in the Creator. I just felt like it had an identity crisis the whole time I was watching it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I still need to watch the Creator but it absolutely cannot be as bad as Rebel Moon, even the Snyderheads gotta be struggling with that one

Anyway here's a list of other random movies I watched via streaming over the holidays:

Past Lives loving rocks, I love listless existential movies about longing (no sarcasm).

I understand why people dislike Saltburn because it's kind of stupid and gross but it has enough style and ridiculous vibes going for it that I think it comes out ahead in the end. Barry Keoghan is way more jacked than you'd expect.

The Hunger Games prequel is better than I expected, but I think that's because all of them are kind of bad. Making a movie about the villain and having the twist be he was always just a bad guy and the Katniss stand-in is just kind of dumb was pretty funny.

Black Rain is a forgotten and vaguely racist neo noir thriller about badass American cop Michael Douglas causing trouble in Japan but it kind of owns? Movies used to look so cool in the 80s, man.

And finally, I watched all The Hobbit movies after only seeing the first one on release and would you believe they just kept getting worse? The Bag End and Gollum parts from the first one at least retain a kind of vestige of what the book was, but man even what should be the good parts of the sequels (tricking Beorn, the death march in the forest that turns to desperation, etc) are just kind of glossed over for Laketown politics and truly terrible endless CGI fight scenes. Incredible that they made a worse Tolkien representation than the game where Shelob is a sexy shapeshifting temptress.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I understand why people dislike Saltburn because it's kind of stupid and gross but it has enough style and ridiculous vibes going for it that I think it comes out ahead in the end. Barry Keoghan is way more jacked than you'd expect.
Maybe I've harped on it in this thread but I kinda felt the opposite. I wish it had been more stupid and gross, it ended up feeling like a pretty by-the-numbers thriller with like 5 weird scenes thrown in to throw everyone off.

Anyway I finally watched May December and it was really excellent. I've always liked Julianne Moore but never noticed a particularly crazy stand-out role, but she's just fantastic in this movie imo at letting you gradually see really disturbing sides of a complicated character without becoming a caricature.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Martman posted:

Maybe I've harped on it in this thread but I kinda felt the opposite. I wish it had been more stupid and gross, it ended up feeling like a pretty by-the-numbers thriller with like 5 weird scenes thrown in to throw everyone off.

Yeah, I feel like they had an idea for a plot, and a few deranged scenes they wanted to shoot, and just mashed them together without making it fit. If they'd had a plot that serviced the grossness, and gone all out with it, it would have been amazing.

I guess the final shot works the other way round, with derangement in service of plot, because without it, it would be painfully apparent that the character isn't actually given any motive and the story is entirely hollow. Still, looks great and is certainly entertaining. There's probably a great triple bill showing you could do where this is the first film and Antichrist is the last one.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Attention, those who have Charter Spectrum cable: you can now get the with-ads version of Disney+ free.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The Tourist season two loving rules. Turns out season one the tourist is an evil crime guy, season two he gets kidnapped by some Irish clowns and his girlfriend gets kidnapped by a serial killer

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Traitors is back and it's quality. Only show that makes me scream at the TV every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Thank you Disney+ for reminding me the first X-Men movie is horrible