Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

oh jay posted:

Just another day at the ol' Tweet factory.

it's actually an X Factor(y)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Listen I'm not a nazi but

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Concerning

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hippocrass posted:

quote:

Unfortunately for Grimes, she tweeted repeatedly about living in Texas, there are records of the children seeing doctors in Texas this year, there are daycare records of the children in daycare in Texas from earlier this year, and their oldest child X is apparently still enrolled in daycare in Texas.

:lmao:

Grimes, you idiot!

You had one job!

The kids were already in California! All you had to do was not move to loving Texas!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Grimes, you idiot!

You had one job!

The kids were already in California! All you had to do was not move to loving Texas!

When you're so dumb, rich, AND high on drugs all the time you accidentally move to Texas without realizing it.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Kit Walker posted:

She probably read the "space princess" part of her description and that's as far as she got
makes sense, her first album Geidi Primes was a concept album based off Dune which she says is her favorite book from childhood

quote:

I had actually quite a similar experience. I remember feeling with science fiction, I was like, “I’m here for the concepts, but I’m slogging through the lack of humanity in a lot of it.” The first science fiction book that really caught me was Dune. It’s still super white, but the characters—like Jessica, who is this 40-year-old mom—are such abnormal protagonists, and that definitely caught me. My dad was actually like, “Okay, we’re not going to read the Bible. We’re going to develop our sense of morality based on Lord of the Rings and Dune. We’re going to talk about loyalty and fighting for what’s right.” He sort of created this world when I was a kid, so I considered [these stories] deeply formative to my existence
her process behind creating the album

quote:

It all started because one day my friend and I did lots of speed, and then we were making music together, and then I guess he stopped being on speed but I was still on speed like all night so then I just went into my room and I made the song number three on the album – I forget what it’s called, and then I was like wow, this song’s so much better than anything I’ve ever made, and then I think I made song number two that night too, and then I made all the [other] songs probably within a month and a half. It made me lose inhibitions about singing and being weird.
here is how she felt about the recent Dune movie, believing that the entire story is actually about her and her son

quote:

For years Grimes harbored a dream of directing her own adaptation of Dune, with the more problematic colonialist elements scrubbed out, but when she heard about Denis Villeneuve’s two-part blockbuster, she fangirled all over again and signed on to help with the rollout, originally scheduled for November 2020. (“I was basically an influencer.”) And then, she adds, she got canceled from Dune because of the Communist Manifesto thing. She was crestfallen, but she understood. “There are things that are deeply not woke in the Dune universe,” she says, so the studio had to be extra-cautious, and she was far from indispensable.

When she finally saw the movie, she realized to her astonishment that this story she’d adored since she was far too young for it, that she knew almost by heart, that inspired her first album—this story was now her story. Specifically Lady Jessica’s story. This goes by fast onscreen, but Jessica (played by Rebecca Ferguson) is not a wife but a concubine. Grimes saw herself in Jessica, and she saw X in Jessica’s son, Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet). Paul is more than a duke’s son. He’s a chosen one, tasked with becoming a great leader. “When I see X,” she says, “like, I just know X is going to have to go through all this really hosed-up poo poo that sort of mirrors Paul-type stuff.” Watching it wrecked her. “I was just crying my eyes out the whole movie.”

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

nine-gear crow posted:

When you're so dumb, rich, AND high on drugs all the time you accidentally move to Texas without realizing it.

really deserving of a :dumbbravo:

mannerup posted:

here is how she felt about the recent Dune movie, believing that the entire story is actually about her and her son

lmao

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol Musk and Grimes are like modern day French royals. Rich and so stupid.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
here's hoping they end up the same way

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

mannerup posted:

quote:

For years Grimes harbored a dream of directing her own adaptation of Dune, with the more problematic colonialist elements scrubbed out, but when she heard about Denis Villeneuve’s two-part blockbuster, she fangirled all over again and signed on to help with the rollout, originally scheduled for November 2020. (“I was basically an influencer.”) And then, she adds, she got canceled from Dune because of the Communist Manifesto thing. She was crestfallen, but she understood. “There are things that are deeply not woke in the Dune universe,” she says, so the studio had to be extra-cautious, and she was far from indispensable.

When she finally saw the movie, she realized to her astonishment that this story she’d adored since she was far too young for it, that she knew almost by heart, that inspired her first album—this story was now her story. Specifically Lady Jessica’s story. This goes by fast onscreen, but Jessica (played by Rebecca Ferguson) is not a wife but a concubine. Grimes saw herself in Jessica, and she saw X in Jessica’s son, Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet). Paul is more than a duke’s son. He’s a chosen one, tasked with becoming a great leader. “When I see X,” she says, “like, I just know X is going to have to go through all this really hosed-up poo poo that sort of mirrors Paul-type stuff.” Watching it wrecked her. “I was just crying my eyes out the whole movie.”

holy goddamned poo poo lmfao

the incoming PXL-55 AT|23-1ES has some big boots to fill compared to their older sibling apparently

also was THAT what the communist manifesto and cockroach costume thing was??? I thought folks were trying to spin it as her coming out against Elon deciding to make his transphobic bullshit obvious to the world and her dumping him or some bullshit?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

mannerup posted:

makes sense, her first album Geidi Primes was a concept album based off Dune which she says is her favorite book from childhood

her process behind creating the album

What is “ the communist manifesto thing”?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Elias_Maluco posted:

Pretending to read it in public in front of TMZ to freak out the squares

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

This horseshit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUjhhm9rB0M/?img_index=1

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

redshirt posted:

lol Musk and Grimes are like modern day French royals. Rich and so stupid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodora_(wife_of_Justinian_I)

quote:

My lords, the present occasion is too serious to allow me to follow the convention that a woman should not speak in a man's council. Those whose interests are threatened by extreme danger should think only of the wisest course of action, not of conventions. In my opinion, flight is not the right course, even if it should bring us to safety. It is impossible for a person, having been born into this world, not to die; but for one who has reigned, it is intolerable to be a fugitive. May I never be deprived of this purple robe, and may I never see the day when those who meet me do not call me Empress. If you wish to save yourself, my lord, there is no difficulty. We are rich; over there is the sea, and yonder are the ships. Yet reflect for a moment whether, when you have once escaped to a place of security, you would not gladly exchange such safety for death. As for me, I agree with the adage, that "royal purple" is the noblest shroud.[28]

quote:

Some scholars interpret Procopius' account intended to portray Justinian as more cowardly than his wife, noting that Procopius probably fabricated her speech. Changing the term "tyranny" to "royal purple", possibly reflects Procopius' desire to link Theodora and Justinian to ancient tyrants.[31]

v interesting choice of words on the book pass, here.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
"personally I'm more interested in a radical decentralized ubi that I think could potentially be achieved thru crypto and gaming but I haven't ironed that idea out enough yet to explain it."

such a beautiful sentence

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I wish I could fall upwards like Musk and Grimes, but when I fall I just land on LEGO. :(

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
personally I’m more interested in a radical decentralized ubi that I think could potentially be achieved thru crypto and gaming

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

mannerup posted:

"personally I'm more interested in a radical decentralized ubi that I think could potentially be achieved thru crypto and gaming but I haven't ironed that idea out enough yet to explain it."

truly one of the minds of our time

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just hanging out at the bus stop in my Dune outfit reading the Communist Manifesto, as I am wont.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mannerup posted:

a concise summary of Grimes

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

redshirt posted:

Just hanging out at the bus stop in my Dune outfit reading the Communist Manifesto, as I am wont.

"reading"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

mannerup posted:

quote:

I don't know why I'm nitpicking at this dumb poo poo but Dune without the colonialism has no plot. The whole point is that the colonizers are terrible and Paul sides with the natives to wage war against an intergalactic empire. Absolute babybrain takes here

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

mannerup posted:

So. Stupid. Buzzwords and emotions mixed together means idea. Just have to explain backwards from there to get it to make sense.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so what makes Dune "worth it", like i know nothing about it other than the "spice must flow" line.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

redshirt posted:

being fair, groimes acting like the weirdo 19-year-old fedora-tipper at community college is actually way more mature for her than her normal persona...lity

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Grahmes not having read Dune other than maybe the title has me remembering musk thinking the protagonist of Blade Runner was named Bladerunner.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

PhazonLink posted:

so what makes Dune "worth it", like i know nothing about it other than the "spice must flow" line.

It's a goddamn amazing book in nearly every way

Of course like many good things it also attracts idiots who misunderstand it completely

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

PhazonLink posted:

it's about a pretty space princess who makes music and raises her genius kids on the desert planet of Texas

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

It's a good sci fi book.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

If nothing else, I suggest reading the first novel because it's one of the cornerstone pieces of modern science-fiction/speculative fiction and I, personally, think it's pretty cool to see how it influenced everything after it.

It's also got some nice prose and cool ideas (especially for the time) in there, though, if those are more your speed. After the first book, however, eh, I'd say you could safely ignore it all unless you really dig the weirdo bizarro future Herbert dreamt up.

I'd say pick it up along with the first Foundation novel(s) to do a compare/contrast if you're of the literary mindset, since Dune was written as kind of a giant 'nah actually this is closer to how I see it playing out' response to the Foundation trilogy.

E: Quote is not edit god dammit

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

PhazonLink posted:

It's a cool book about doing drugs to see the pattern of spacetime and then working with the exploited natives of a desert planet to overthrow the King of Space. Also Frank Herbert put a drat lot of thought into how the ecosystem of his weird desert planet would work and it's neat. The whole book just has a lot of really cool ideas for how this setting would work, the kind of culture that might exist there, the intergalactic ramifications of spice, and also a whole bunch of sci-fi fantasy nonsense that's just good fun

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

it has worms

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Worms must flow

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kull wahad!

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Worms, drugs and familial nuclear armaments

Heaven, in other words.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Also there's a guy named after a coffee shop and a US state

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

if you get invested in it one of the main characters turns into a hybrid man-worm god through the power of worms and drugs

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Good ol' Starbuck Florida, he's the best

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tim Hortons Dakota

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Also, Frank Herbert wasn't a fascist so there's that.

quote:

Herbert was a strong critic of the Soviet Union. He was a distant relative of the Republican senator Joseph McCarthy, whom he referred to as "Cousin Joe". However, he was appalled to learn of McCarthy's blacklisting of suspected communists from working in certain careers and believed that he was endangering essential freedoms of citizens of the United States.[30] Herbert believed that governments lie to protect themselves and that, following the Watergate scandal, President Richard Nixon had unwittingly taught an important lesson in not trusting government.[31][32] Herbert also opposed American involvement in the war in Vietnam.[33]