Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sounds like depression happened :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Chas McGill posted:

I got PoA and it's overwhelming. Need to read the skill descriptions carefully because I made a blood goblin who just slashed himself apart on every attack and died.

path of achra looks really overwhelming at first but a lot of it is looking past that and seeing that it's mainly just a relatively small toolkit of various Verbs that you perform and the 5 million modifiers and such that can be tacked onto those. once you get the vibe of chaining those modifiers onto a specific Verb or another then you'll immediately start picking up the idea of it all and be able to better parse things, because it's a lot of dense wording for things that are all fairly useful, unlike other games that give you a bunch of insanely useless chaff options like +2% to spell animation speed or whatever, but most of the trick is figuring out which tools will help you the most

it can also help to look at the prestige classes and see what bonuses they give and what qualifiers let you spec into them, then look into those skill trees to see what they do and kinda work backwards to get an idea of what you want to accomplish and using that idea to pick your starting class, species and god

which, after typing all this out, i realize i sound mildly insane and like i'm underselling a halfway incomprehensible thing, but achra really mostly is a game of firing 1 out of about 6-7 guns and watching the 500 different modifiers you tacked onto that bullet do things to your enemies

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Also sacrifice your items if you aren't, the extra health goes a long way towards survivability.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Aggressive saccing leads to aggressive winning

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

malnourish posted:

Aggressive saccing leads to aggressive winning

This isn't the Dominions thread.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As with all roguelikes the actual challenge in PoA is not doing something incredibly stupid every five seconds. I am bad at this.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Well, I installed this and it's hell of nuts. 16:9 and 60 FPS Nuclear Throne alone is great, but it seems they've added an incredible amount of new content to the game as well.

Yeah, it's that old-school ideal of modding where it way way over-delivers and truly improves upon the base game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Azran posted:

Holy hell Spelldisk is amazing. Picked it up earlier today and I already beat the Architect by the skin of my teeth, feels soooo goood seeing a build come together

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is the Spellbook in Spelldisk sorta... bad? or is it just me? It feels very clunky to use but to be fair it seems like it's the last weapon they added so it might get some tweaks

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Azran posted:

Is the Spellbook in Spelldisk sorta... bad? or is it just me? It feels very clunky to use but to be fair it seems like it's the last weapon they added so it might get some tweaks

Do you even use the weapon after the first level? I guess you might if you haven't unlocked starting gems and maxed out rerolls yet

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Jusupov posted:

Do you even use the weapon after the first level? I guess you might if you haven't unlocked starting gems and maxed out rerolls yet

Depends on the build and outfit.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Jusupov posted:

I never stop using the katar and spear normal attacks since they barely slow you down and stun most enemies out of their attacks. The others eventually stop being useful unless the rng gives you a viable attack trigger combo.

edit: ahh its about the spellbook, I personally find it too clunky.

AParadox fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 31, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Had my first Spelldisk win on my 12th attempt or something, after I started paying proper attention to my synergies. Ended up with a build where spamming normal combos kept triggering one spell, which in turn caused a cascade that triggered everything else. I also found an artifact that gave me 400% weapon spell mana regen at the start of each floor, which basically let me spam my weapon spell nonstop and cascade triggered everything.

And then I discovered that I guess I have now only completed the tutorial and the real game starts here. Game owns.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Johnny Joestar posted:

path of achra looks really overwhelming at first but a lot of it is looking past that and seeing that it's mainly just a relatively small toolkit of various Verbs that you perform and the 5 million modifiers and such that can be tacked onto those. once you get the vibe of chaining those modifiers onto a specific Verb or another then you'll immediately start picking up the idea of it all and be able to better parse things, because it's a lot of dense wording for things that are all fairly useful, unlike other games that give you a bunch of insanely useless chaff options like +2% to spell animation speed or whatever, but most of the trick is figuring out which tools will help you the most

it can also help to look at the prestige classes and see what bonuses they give and what qualifiers let you spec into them, then look into those skill trees to see what they do and kinda work backwards to get an idea of what you want to accomplish and using that idea to pick your starting class, species and god

which, after typing all this out, i realize i sound mildly insane and like i'm underselling a halfway incomprehensible thing, but achra really mostly is a game of firing 1 out of about 6-7 guns and watching the 500 different modifiers you tacked onto that bullet do things to your enemies

Thanks for the advice!

I just needed to keep hitting things and it would heal me. If I stopped to use a god ability I'd almost die because I wasn't hitting things. The ultimate tab run...

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Been doing some runs of Tiny Rogues now and it's been pretty fun, got the Infernal and Heaven thrones done, but it said the Abyss still isn't available?

I'm not sure what the exactly all the new mechanics work, anybody got any tips for the best things to spend on the metaprogression stuff?

Also Troubadour and Instruments seem super weak because the weapons suck and you only get one song at a time, am I missing something?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

WarpedLichen posted:

Been doing some runs of Tiny Rogues now and it's been pretty fun, got the Infernal and Heaven thrones done, but it said the Abyss still isn't available?

I'm not sure what the exactly all the new mechanics work, anybody got any tips for the best things to spend on the metaprogression stuff?

Also Troubadour and Instruments seem super weak because the weapons suck and you only get one song at a time, am I missing something?

Abyss won't be in until next big update.

A lot of the best metaprogression stuff is close to the starting node (extra flask, starting soul heart, free revive etc.) The upper left and upper right branches both have a lot of goodies, extra secret rooms and mimic bonuses are both big economic boosts. Also the boss rewards branch off to the left is pretty good.

Troubador does kind of suck, there are a few gimmicks that some of his songs allow but for most purposes he's pretty bad. Compare to c.f. the Soldier that can intimidate on hit with a much more flexible selection of weapons and doesn't eat an inventory slot or mess with your room rewards (and is still a bit meh.)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The real trick to Troubador is to get the song that increases the effectiveness of Emotion Buffs and then stack other emotion buffs elsewhere. And some of the instrument weapons are absurdly strong. I like the E-Piano, Accordion and Metal Guitar.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 1, 2024

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

My Path of Achra experience so far:

Pick a random race/class/religion combo
Choose some skills that look cool - I'm too dumb to think about synergies
Press tab repeatedly and laugh as the screen explodes in effects
Wear whatever neat gear I find - I'm a sucker for anything that mentions extra attacks
Get halfway through the maps before getting mobbed to death by a pack of icy scorpions or whatever
Repeat

I may not be winning but I'm having a blast regardless

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK, the posts were accurate: Path of Achra seems intimidating, but it's really just about slapping as many synergistic bonuses on your attacks, and then attacking fools. It's kinda fun when you take one step, and then there's a 15 second turn where you make 764126 attacks and after the dust settles, half the enemies on the screen are dead.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Balatro is still great, albeit still a bit one-note in the demo for now. The best and most consistent way to break the game is try to find the telescope upgrade early, continuously upgrade a good hand like straight or flush, then get related jokers that either synergize and feed into that hand or make it more accessible like Four Fingers or Smeared Joker. Also, keep one Joker semi-expendable like Gold Joker that you can do with the forced sell with in the final boss round. I managed to clear $50,000 in a single hand that way earlier today.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

WarpedLichen posted:

I think the best one after revive/soul heart/extra flask is double pickups when you bomb chests. If you find an arcade machine you get something like 16 dice when you bomb it. Blessing shrines give you +2 XP when you bomb them. +1 luck for first two floors is way better than I feel like it should be as well, and once you start going deep into cinder you'll really want/need the EZ mode one to get past the first few floors.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
This interview (Blind x Ulfsire) with the Path of Achra dev has some great thoughts even in the first few minutes on what drew the dev (and I imagine many others) to Roguelikes.

But I wanted to post this bit ~6 mins in where they mention specific RL influences (ToME/DCSS/Rift Wizard), and the particular bit of "I wanted a game like Rift Wizard that feels like playing a Minotaur Berserker in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup" :black101:

I had only seen the victory screen shots in this thread and the game I had in my head was Slice & Dice in the Red Rope engine, which led to a bit of a surprise when I finally looked at picking up the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That describes it pretty perfectly. Actually that makes me want to play DCSS, which I haven’t done in long enough that I’ve forgotten how long it’s been, what’s up with it these days? I think last I heard about it there was currently some kind of dev schism going on or something?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Orv posted:

That describes it pretty perfectly. Actually that makes me want to play DCSS, which I haven’t done in long enough that I’ve forgotten how long it’s been, what’s up with it these days? I think last I heard about it there was currently some kind of dev schism going on or something?

it kicks rear end op. play a shapeshifter

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Orv posted:

You could pop by the DCSS thread for opinions on those actively playing (all three of them left on SomethingAwful). The 'schism' happened years ago, killed off the SA community and most of their player base, but the devs have been plugging away with ideas, for better or worse. Game is still playable and fine, but literally all other staple starts apart from MiFi are now gone/changed, and even MiFi's are a bit different (you get attacked as you walk away from people). To make up for it you get a lot of QoL stuff.

Give it a go, report back.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

You could pop by the DCSS thread for opinions on those actively playing (all three of them left on SomethingAwful). The 'schism' happened years ago, killed off the SA community and most of their player base, but the devs have been plugging away with ideas, for better or worse. Game is still playable and fine, but literally all other staple starts apart from MiFi are now gone/changed, and even MiFi's are a bit different (you get attacked as you walk away from people). To make up for it you get a lot of QoL stuff.

Give it a go, report back.

Oh :smith:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

the dcss thread is less of a discussion and more of a containment thread for tired rants about purple meat that have been going on for five hundred years

ignore the haters. dcss is good. play dcss

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you're going to play DCSS, make sure to do so sometime soon, before they streamline the game into just being "press button to win, press the other button to lose".

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

dcss is fun still, play it

Jack Trades posted:

If you're going to play DCSS, make sure to do so sometime soon, before they streamline the game into just being "press button to win, press the other button to lose".

this is the kind of post that makes no one use the DCSS thread, yeah.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I did notice the current DCSS thread contains only the best posters from this thread so that probably checks out. I’ll give it a go whenever my internet comes back up, which at this rate should be around .40

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jack Trades posted:

dcss is noticeably harder than it used to be after years of removing trivial XP gain(as well as stuff like haste wand/spell) and adding more dangerous stuff to lategame areas.
If there's any one complaint you absolutely cannot make of dcss's direction, it's it becoming "press button to win".

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

dcss is noticeably harder than it used to be after years of removing trivial XP gain(as well as stuff like haste wand/spell) and adding more dangerous stuff to lategame areas.
If there's any one complaint you absolutely cannot make of dcss's direction, it's it becoming "press button to win".

i've managed to finally crystallize exactly what my problem is with DCSS' direction and it's this: the core gameplay of a roguelike, really, is decision-making. For some games, like TOME or Achra, those decisions are focused around building your character, but that's not true for DCSS. DCSS character builds don't really allow for that: you pick a species, class and a god, and a couple of skills to focus training, and that's it: that's like 90% of your build decisions for the entire game, you'll mess around with your skills a few times and maybe switch to TSO or something if you're going for 15 runes, but there's not much going on there. So the decision-making in DCSS is focused instead on what you actually do on any given turn, particularly when there are enemies around. You're meant to take stock of all of the tools available to you and choose the best one for the current scenario. There are plenty of roguelikes that work like this, and if anything this basic gameplay idea is what leads something like Noita to feel like a roguelike even though it's a totally different kind of game. The way most roguelikes in this vein are developed is that they move in a direction of increased complexity. If the devs think of a thing that a player should, logically, be able to do in a given scenario, they code the game to make it work. And after decades of being built up like that, the game becomes this massively complex thing that rewards player understanding of its depth. DCSS, unlike any other roguelike or game of this nature that I can think of, has moved in the opposite direction. Tools have been removed, or deliberately made to not function in scenarios that they should logically work in. The most obvious example is the amulet of regeneration. If a player is dying from some kind of temporary status effect, like poison, and they have an amulet of regeneration in their inventory, they might to themselves "well, I have no potions to cure myself, but if I put this amulet the effect might counteract the poison long enough for me to live". This should, logically, work, and it used to, and then the devs deliberately prevented it. They looked at a bread and butter example of this kind of game's actual core gameplay, and they said "no, we don't like that", and went out of their way to make sure that it wouldn't work. Their philosophy seems to be about reducing the number of ways a player can use any given tool, and reducing the number of things that work in any given scenario.

Another example is the recent change to Transmutations, which were changed from being a class of spells that changed a player's form temporarily to an item that players can evoke to change into a form indefinitely. On a basic level, this is a perfectly fine change, and nobody's really complained about it(I, honestly, wouldn't really want to have played a Transmuter much without it), but it still follows the same track: as a spell, you could pick whichever form you wanted at the beginning of combat. As an item, transforming takes so long to evoke that you have to pick a form and stick with it. This philosophy is counter to what actually makes a game like this interesting, because if you successfully reduce the number of choices a player has in a given scenario far enough, the game just turns into math and random chance. If you strip away all of the complexity and depth of a roguelike and look for the tiny nugget of game at its core, you will find nothing there at all. Without the depth, there is no game. It doesn't become easier or harder, it just becomes less. So, it's not press button to win, it's press button to either win or lose, with less and less ability to affect the outcome as the game is developed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LazyMaybe posted:

I wasn't implying that the game is getting easier. It's more about me disagreeing with the DCSS team's decision to remove a bunch of mechanics every single patch.
But that's a discussions that's been had a million times at this point, and I don't have anything new to add to it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I got Path of Archa, I'll report back. Thanks thread!

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Path of Achra is super fun, but it definitely suffers a bit from the ToME issue, where you will completely steamroll for ten minutes then run into an enemy that kills you in a couple of hits.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Majestic posted:

Path of Achra is super fun, but it definitely suffers a bit from the ToME issue, where you will completely steamroll for ten minutes then run into an enemy that kills you in a couple of hits.

It was worse when pretas were in the main path

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone know of anything similar to Warriors of the Nile 2?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Far as I know, they stand alone upon the loftiest of peaks.

In other news, a more literal leveraging of The Heart Of The Cards is on the horizon: Primateria

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1397130/Primateria/

quote:

Embark on an epic journey in Primateria, a game redefines the roguelike deckbuilder with a nod to classic Yu-Gi-Oh! experience. Fuse cards, battle divine beings, and navigate through a universe teeming with challenges and surprises. Embrace the thrill of endless combinations and tactical depths.
Features

Revolutionary Infinite Fusion: Primateria redefines deck-building with its innovative infinite fusion system. You can infinitely merge cards to create more potent tokens, breaking free from the confines of traditional turn-based mechanics. This system, while drawing inspiration from classics like Yu-Gi-Oh!, introduces a distinct and innovative twist.

Unleash High Attack Combos: Primateria empowers you to unleash powerful combo attacks through the unique abilities of each card, providing a thrilling and satisfying gameplay experience that captures the essence of the most dramatic moments in card battle games.

Strategic Fusion Summoning: Elevate your summoning tactics by perfectly matching levels for fusion. Every decision you make, every move you plan, becomes a crucial part of your strategic journey, demanding your tactical foresight and mastery.

Balanced Risk and Reward with Card Devolution: Face the unique challenge where high-level cards, upon defeat, transform back into their original forms rather than being destroyed. This balanced risk-reward system keeps your strategic play dynamic and engaging, constantly calling for your tactical adaptability.

Adaptive Mana Pool System: Primateria introduces a unique mana pool system tied to the fusion mechanic. This system doesn’t just govern card play but also powers up your special abilities, adding an additional layer of strategy to your gameplay.

“Dual Graveyard” Dynamics: Primateria introduces a dual graveyard system – the "Damage Pile" and "Discard Pile," adding complexity to the management of defeated and discarded cards and introducing a new strategic element to the gameplay.

Protection & Repositioning Mechanic: The game's design incorporates frontline and backline battle dynamics, forcing you to think critically about card placement and repositioning strategies, enhancing the depth of tactical play.

Rich, Expansive Universe: Set in a beautifully crafted world, Primateria offers a narrative-rich experience. Players, as "Polupus," embark on a journey filled with divine entities and mythical challenges, making each playthrough not just a game but a story unfolding.

Roguelike Elements for Endless Replayability: With a variety of relics, consumables, and ever-changing maps, the game offers you immense replayability, ensuring that no two playthroughs are the same.

Almighty Legendary Cards: To make playing cards even more exciting, new legendary cards can be summoned by fulfilling very specific conditions and challenges during a run. These incredibly powerful cards have amazing new art and represent the divine characters in the game.

Here's some of the new and exciting things you can expect on the full game:
A complete story mode with 9 unique quests, a thrilling story and a bunch of characters!
100+ cards, with hundreds of effects, mechanics and endless combos!
43 Steam achievements for you to challenge yourselves and unlock!
12 unique pre-built decks with specific archetypes for you to explore, including a Random Deck for experienced players to challenge their might!
20+ special items that can be found and used in runs to enhance your chances of reaching the surface!
10+ challenging nodes for exploration!
A new and improved Endless Mode with challenging bosses, enemy encounters, exploration and much more!
A gallery system that serves as a compendium for all cards, items and unlockables in the game so you can track your progress!
A meta-progression system that allows you to gain experience, level up, and unlock all sorts of magical items and cards for your Primateria journey!
And much, much more!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My hunger for Rift Wizard 2 only increases.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Far as I know, they stand alone upon the loftiest of peaks.

In other news, a more literal leveraging of The Heart Of The Cards is on the horizon: Primateria

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1397130/Primateria/

Maybe I'm getting extra sensitive to this kind of stuff but the prose writeup here gives me a ChatGPT vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

no, that’s just how ‘Tinkerer posts (laudatory)