Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1741140115542421567

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

no matter how hard he tries Stancil can't be half the shithead troll Jennifer Rubin is.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

he's a cool blogger

What a psycho

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

ah

shocked that someone would be a dumbass online. crazy

Why do you use this website

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/andrewaperez/status/1740408912086483085

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Was Hunka getting applauded in the House of Commons Pro-Semetic? :thunk:

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Comrade Vader force choking the means of production from across the galaxy :ussr:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

In Wizarding World your entire life revolves around your school social hierarchy, as it should

well as it does in the real world

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the_steve posted:

I don't think they were even all that famous until after they got killed.
They were just the popular high school sweetheart couple.

Lol the dad was an abusive bully

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Adolf Eichmann (he/him) 🦅 Small businessman turned activist. Husband, father, organizer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mariokartdwi/status/1741554975380222095?t=kmlRvV7NcUwbaSAPR1V-uQ&s=19

I've seen a number of variations of this post that basically scolds the OP because "if you think things are going to worse, you should all the more have something saved, ergo your 401k"

And that doesn't really grasp the situation

If America (or the capitalist world system in general) does not change course significantly, then things are going to get so bad that a 401k won't save you

If, on the other hand, things do get better to the point where a 20-something today has a chance of seeing 60 in relatively peaceful circumstances, then society will have to have been rearranged so much to the point where a 401k is going to be immaterial

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

It's really funny how this isn't actually an exaggeration. The story just unironically thinks it's good and heart-warming to see this boy live a blessed life because his parents were rich and famous.

I think by the 4th book even child me didn't understand why at no point does Harry knucle down and apply himself to get good which I had expected since again even a child is capable of recognizing tropes. Though it would still be years before I could understand why those books sucked

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Charles Dickens and Victor Hugo sitting under the learning tree of J.K. Rowling.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

KomradeX posted:

I think by the 4th book even child me didn't understand why at no point does Harry knucle down and apply himself to get good which I had expected since again even a child is capable of recognizing tropes. Though it would still be years before I could understand why those books sucked

Oh, he's an isekai protagonist. Got it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

the_steve posted:

I don't think they were even all that famous until after they got killed.
They were just the popular high school sweetheart couple.

I think technically they were war heroes and Lord Moldybutt "died" after confronting them.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

john fetterman is liberal elmo, lmao

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Harry does love slavery so that tracks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KomradeX posted:

IIRC Harry's only real virtue is that he's brave (which only doesn't get him killed because of a combination of luck + the support of authority figures).

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

sure I dress like a loving moron but that gives you no right to slander me when I call for bombing more children

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Scarabrae posted:

john fetterman is liberal elmo, lmao

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

gradenko_2000 posted:

If America (or the capitalist world system in general) does not change course significantly, then things are going to get so bad that a 401k won't save you

If, on the other hand, things do get better to the point where a 20-something today has a chance of seeing 60 in relatively peaceful circumstances, then society will have to have been rearranged so much to the point where a 401k is going to be immaterial

i'm 46 and i've felt this way about retirement for myself since i was in my early 20s. i may have been wrong but i kinda don't think this poo poo is holding on until the 2040s. i guess we'll see!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
the most media literate boy alive, posting caps from a saudi outlet about those evil houthis

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1741629362347331910

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

“We’ve got a problem — we think that being cynical is sophisticated, but that’s how adolescents think. Our cynicism about our politics has resulted in cynical politicians. If you tell a child they’re bad, they become bad. If you tell politicians they’re a bunch of egotistical maniacs, then where is the value in trying to be anything else?”

Epic Sherlock man is right it’s the loony lefty writers’ fault that British politicians are poo poo

if you call a kid bad they become bad eh?? well guess what I’m gonna call this guy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ytlaya posted:

IIRC Harry's only real virtue is that he's brave (which only doesn't get him killed because of a combination of luck + the support of authority figures).

That and has a massive hero/martyr complex. Which is even fair given his whole thing.

Of course lol the ending is literally because Voldemort didn't keep track of wand lore techicalities I had to look up on Wikipedia after reading to figure out why the gently caress that happened

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

if you call a kid bad they become bad eh?? well guess what I’m gonna call this guy

This is just "you kept calling me a Nazi, so I became one" but for Libs

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

the most media literate boy alive, posting caps from a saudi outlet about those evil houthis

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1741629362347331910

Replying to the chuddy Manhattan money launderer art dealer that was having constant meltdowns about the COVID-19 "lockdowns" in NYC.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

this name still makes me laugh

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

And the Irish student, Whiskey McCarbomb

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Israeli exchange student Vile Shlomo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/544946669448867841

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this name still makes me laugh

It’s even funnier if my theory that she just remembered cio-cio San and tweaked it slightly is correct

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is just some 22 year old dumbass

Let's name the forum after him

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s even funnier if my theory that she just remembered cio-cio San and tweaked it slightly is correct

her editor definitely made her change it from Ching Chong

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

her editor definitely made her change it from Ching Chong

Lmao or that

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

thats-bait.gif

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

KomradeX posted:

Eh I think the main thing is he just always tries and it works out because of plot armor. I don't think it's that deep in terms of having rich parents or w/e it's just the money aspect would detract from the whole "but what if you were the main character" power fantasy. He's got generic hardships that don't really affect his day to day stuff much, he's got authority figures that want to keep him down, and he just keeps winning anyways because he's a special boy. It's basically what every broody tween wants in life full of tropes you see play out in rpg settings, like every dnd character with a broody backstory or w/e. There's plenty of fiction shlock that fills the powerful but sad niche but it tended to be more targetted for young adult, it and orson scott card nonsense I think are the main ones that were more directly appealing to the 10-13 crowd in west culture which is why they took off so much.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

The plot of HP is basically an isekai, so it's not surprising it follows similar tropes

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/_MorseCoded/status/1741656558558232982

I mean, yeah, precisely

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

right on every count, somebody get him an account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PhilippAchtel posted:

The plot of HP is basically an isekai, so it's not surprising it follows similar tropes

JK Rowling loves to do tropes, all right