Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There is also a good chance he'd go onto a tangent about that property of his that he insists was the site of an important civil war battle despite that being categorically false, to the point where he commissioned his own historical marker for it.

Never forget the fallen at the River of Blood :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Never forget the fallen at the River of Blood :911:

*Wipes away tears as I salute a cemetery momument, only for the camera to pan around to reveal it's blank*

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/EggerDC/status/1740436604496605689?s=20

ron's answer while smarmy is about as correct as a gop chud will be. if he had played the Hogan "moderate" instead of weird church lady homelander, this probably would have helped him but dude set up a system that has books about the civil war and civil rights movements banned from schools so gently caress him. also its not the dems riding around with confederate flags.

Why should Republicans be proud of ending an institution that gave African Americans many useful skills that served them well throughout their lives?

Like that's normally the best answer a Republican can give, but not when that Republican has also personally seen to it that his state teaches that, actually, slavery was cool and good and a net positive for all involved.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They finally accrued enough job experience to qualify for entry level instead of unpaid intern. It's just good business.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Gyges posted:

Trump will ramble on in every direction no matter what the question, but I think you guys are really overthinking his thought process. Dude's a product of the Northeast and has zero curiosity or brains. He'll say it was slavery, and then enter his typical word salad where he may brag about how he would have won the war so fast or he might just start ranting about how everyone is so uncivil to him now.

If he'd actually spent any real life time outside New York, LA, or South Florida then he might maybe do a little off-key ditty about State's Rights.

Yeah one of Trump's strengths going against these Republican Southern Governors is being being a product of the Northeast, Trump despises evangelicals as much as the standard Northeaster.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bellmaker posted:

Yeah one of Trump's strengths going against these Republican Southern Governors is being being a product of the Northeast, Trump despises evangelicals as much as the standard Northeaster.

this. its one of the few things i "like" about trump is his genuin disdain of the evangelicals but his ability to keep them coming back for more because everyone involved knows its bullshit for bigotry sake.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
You either got it or you don't

https://x.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1741269971903070529?s=20

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

:mitt: but worse

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

this is why you're supposed to install updates

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Negative charisma

Should've stayed in his swamp

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

this is why you're supposed to install updates

Updates are too progressive.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sax Mortar posted:

Updates are too progressive.

640k memory should be enough for any Governor

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I think a lot of it is he is a sociopath AND an introvert and he HATES talking to the small folk and he doesn’t know how too even if he wanted.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

That was disturbing. The next Dem governor candidate should just run his face with no music for 30 seconds.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jesus III posted:

That was disturbing. The next Dem governor candidate should just run his face with no music for 30 seconds.

That's not how Charlie Christ runs his failure campaigns. Plus, ol' Charisma Bot is term limited out.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Next Florida Governor is gonna be Matt Gaetz because sex trafficking is now cool for the GOP.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Morrow posted:

Next Florida Governor is gonna be Matt Gaetz because sex trafficking is now has always been cool for the GOP.

Corrected because hey, let’s be honest here.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No activity in this thread? I guess everyone is expecting a Trump blowout tomorrow, and that's almost certainly what's going to happen. It'll be interesting to see how well Haley does, though, and if the rest of the losers eventually drop out and endorse her, despite some very heated exchanges between them.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Prediction time!

Trump 60%
Haley 25%
DeSantis 10%
Others 5%

Winner gets coup attempt in 2025.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, it just doesn't seem like any kind of contest. Cable news keeps harping on how Desantis did "the full Grassley" and the other candidates besides Trump are all over Iowa. It doesn't seem to matter though, and Iowa seems to not care as much about 'retail politics.' But that poll from the Des Moines Register came out last night and it's looking like it's going to be Trump. Can't link the actual poll because I can't find a non paywalled version of it.

https://cnnpolitics.com/2024/01/13/politics/trump-holds-wide-lead-over-gop-field-ahead-of-iowa-caucuses-poll-finds/index.html

CNN posted:

Overall, 48% of likely caucusgoers say Trump would be their first choice, 20% name former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, and 16% Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, with the rest of the field below 10%.

Trump still has a commanding lead, but it looks like DeSantis is falling behind Haley for second place.

CNN posted:

And Trump’s backers are likewise more enthusiastic about supporting him than are supporters of either Haley or DeSantis. While 88% of Trump-backing likely caucusgoers say they are extremely or very enthusiastic about him, a smaller majority of DeSantis backers – 62% – feel the same way and just 39% of Haley’s supporters in Iowa express that level of enthusiasm for her.

There are more people supporting Trump and they are more enthusiastic. The other story is the brutal cold weather and if you're not enthusiastic it's gonna hold people back from going.

CNN posted:

The poll also finds Trump with the highest favorability ratings in the field; 69% hold a favorable view of the former president, compared with 58% who view DeSantis favorably, 52% who have a favorable view of Vivek Ramaswamy and 48% who have a favorable view of Haley.

And they like him the most.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Asa Hutchinson's gonna ride tomorrow's freak blizzard, that traps everyone but his one supporter in their houses, to victory!

It's crazy that we're where we are right now because of a decades long temper tantrum by the right over Nixon resigning. Everything culminating in elevating Donald loving Trump to god king.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feels like Haley concentrated on New Hampshire and ceded second in Iowa to Desantis as a strategy, but then Desantis cratered generally so it’s just a vacuum.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Every Republican president since Nixon has been punishment on the world designed to make us miss Nixon.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Gyges posted:

Asa Hutchinson's gonna ride tomorrow's freak blizzard, that traps everyone but his one supporter in their houses, to victory!

It's crazy that we're where we are right now because of a decades long temper tantrum by the right over Nixon resigning. Everything culminating in elevating Donald loving Trump to god king.

I mean, it’s also sixty years of anger over The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and this expectation that we’re supposed to treat anyone other than white cis males as human beings. De-segregation leading to massive increases in private religious schooling leading to the rise of the Religious Right and eight years of gritting teeth faced with being expected to accept that a black man was President, which led to a movement Trump himself took leadership over because black people aren’t actually Americans and we can legally prove this one

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Quadrupling down on Trump is only possible due to using the right wing media sphere to encase Republicans in an alternate reality. All the infrastructure built up to keep a right wing psycho from being forced to face consequences is now preventing the guys who built it, the surviving ones anyway, from excising the cancerous parasite who took over.

It's a deep black kind of comedy that their final success in inoculating their base from reality has resulted in them having to bend the knee to a total clown they always hated. The measured, competent, evil minority rule that they dreamed off has been choked to death by the unhinged, blundering, psychopathic monsters that have taken over their platforms.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://x.com/NRO/status/1746706104338329950?s=20

National Review finally found a civil rights movement they can endorse.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
When was the last time Iowa mattered in a GOP primary? 2000?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Can’t imagine DeSantis is the first Italian American to run for President. Which would explain why no one cares.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

smackfu posted:

Can’t imagine DeSantis is the first Italian American to run for President. Which would explain why no one cares.

rudy giuliani and, on the democrats side, mario cuomo teased runs forever

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is Chris Christi just another case of stolen Italian valor?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

smackfu posted:

Running to be the first Italian American president, not the first Italian American running for president

Caros
May 14, 2008

I think it says something that I, a relative political nerd, did not realize it was the Iowa caucus day.

2016 had people writing Les mis songs about the gop clown car (We'll be ready for these closers, they're low energy. Vote trump!) and this thread has a loving tumbleweed blowing through it.

I'm sure this is fine though, totally going to see Haley with the surprise victory.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It does seem like a foregone conclusion. Even the weather could be good for Trump, he probably has the most die-hard supporters. He also literally told them to go out and vote today even if it kills them

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Trump voters dying in the snow on the way to vote for him would probably make him feel better than winning the primary.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Picturing trump wading through the swamp facing his frozen voters like that MGS 3 boss fight.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Caros posted:

I think it says something that I, a relative political nerd, did not realize it was the Iowa caucus day.

2016 had people writing Les mis songs about the gop clown car (We'll be ready for these closers, they're low energy. Vote trump!) and this thread has a loving tumbleweed blowing through it.

I'm sure this is fine though, totally going to see Haley with the surprise victory.

because all of us know its gonna be trump. yeah a majority of normies think it will be someone else.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I actually didn't realize the caucuses hadn't even started yet, but it makes sense since it's a weekday. Don't know when we can expect the first results, but apparently the Iowa GOP has their own site with live vote count updates:

https://results.iacaucus2024.com/

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

Trump is obv going to win, but I think the only case going forward where he might have the slightest challenge is if he does sub 45 today and Haley manages to somehow over perform and hit better than 25. Meatball Rob then drops before NH and she squeezes out a victory there. I think if the aura of inevitable trump can be pierced she might have an actual shot since I think a fair amount of Trumps support is just resigned to him winning. She would still be a heavy underdog though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lil ronny isn’t dropping out till late in the game because of his fragile ego, it’s gonna be tup.