Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I've heard grognard applied to fans of any game, the meaning being that they insist on playing old editions or at least pining for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grognard means grumbler, it was Napoleon's nickname for the people who'd served the long haul with him and would generally bitch and moan the most while also being incredibly brave and experienced.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I first saw "grognard" in a magazine column dedicated to war gaming, so I just assumed it was a self-applied label for war gamers.

I also assumed, and never cared to investigate further, than it originated through fans of age of sail war games, because didn't they drink "grog" at sea or something? Why not something WWII related, since so many of them like to replay that specific war over and over again?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wait, grognard isn't the name of like a funny little ugly goblin creature or something from the game??? Holy poo poo

Well that's American education for you

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Similarly, the Chupacabra sounds like a creature from old folklore which has been around forever but it was invented in 1995 and was almost certainly based on jumbled up recollections of the movie Species

IIRC a lot of photos or "encounters" with chupacabra ended up being coyotes or foxes with severe mange

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

D&D is a fantasy version of a Napoleonic wars themed wargame that escalated into roleplaying in the 1960s.

..... and they date back to at least the early 1800s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsspiel

HG Wells was a big fan of Napoleonic wargaming and actually created his own gaming system from scratch and published the rulebook in 1913
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Wars

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fifty Farts posted:

And the high-five was invented by a fascinating dude named Glenn Burke in the late 1970s, because he was so excited for a teammate who hit a home run. He just stuck his hand up and the other guy didn't know what to do, so he slapped it

It was like a handshake while running past someone.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gaius Marius posted:

Grognard means grumbler, it was Napoleon's nickname for the people who'd served the long haul with him and would generally bitch and moan the most while also being incredibly brave and experienced.

They were the elite veterans in his Imperial Guard and one of the privileges granted to them was the freedom to complain about poo poo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Guard_(France)#Les_Grognards

The French Armée de l'Air were developing a single-seat, low-level ground-attack aircraft in the 1950s which was going to be called the Grognard but the program was cancelled

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sud-Est_Grognard

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

..... and they date back to at least the early 1800s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsspiel

HG Wells was a big fan of Napoleonic wargaming and actually created his own gaming system from scratch and published the rulebook in 1913
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Wars

Peter Cushing was a fan of the game too. The number of historical figures that would be very into Warhammer is larger than we think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGag8Qllgnw

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

What little I know of French leads me to believe the word would be pronounced gro-NAW, with a nasal inflection

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's pronounced grognard.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

French is just bespoke Danish in that in both languages if you randomly ignore 40% of the letters in every word and slur your speech like you've had a bit too much to drink and you'll probably land on the correct pronunciation by chance.

Also:
-Bicycles
-Racism
-Drunkenness
-Desperately clinging to long-dead colonial empire

Basically the same country.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

French cuisine is the greatest in the world. Danish cuisine looks like you trained an ai exclusively on dogfood and told it to create a meal.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Fifty Farts posted:

And the high-five was invented by a fascinating dude named Glenn Burke in the late 1970s, because he was so excited for a teammate who hit a home run. He just stuck his hand up and the other guy didn't know what to do, so he slapped it, and a legendary move was born. The Dollop podcast did an episode about him, which is pretty good (tragic ending, though).

Wow, you don't say! Fun fact: the low five predated it by 50 years!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Moon Monster posted:

Now that you mention it I have a hazy memory of a probably racist Looney Toon where a black guy says "give me some skin, brother" before doing a low five.

"probably racist" lmao

I'm going to guess yes

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gaius Marius posted:

French cuisine is the greatest in the world. Danish cuisine looks like you trained an ai exclusively on dogfood and told it to create a meal.

Smørrebrød and flæskesteg aren't quite on the level of French cuisine but both are quite good.

Also Danes are pretty world class in all things baking related.

You're probably thinking of Iceland or Norway where eating actual food and not charred sheep faces or other ghoulish horrors wasn't discovered until circa 2000.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I''ll eat all that danish food

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

All countries and cultures on the continent are 100% the same.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

French is just bespoke Danish in that in both languages if you randomly ignore 40% of the letters in every word and slur

Actually that sounds more like Australia :australia:

FreudianSlippers posted:

... your speech like you've had a bit too much to drink and you'll probably land on the correct pronunciation by chance.

Oh I see.

E: wait a minute

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also:
-Bicycles
-Racism
-Drunkenness
-Desperately clinging to long-dead colonial empire

Basically the same country.

Okay apart from the bicycles thing it still sounds like Australia

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Powered Descent posted:

What little I know of French leads me to believe the word would be pronounced gro-NAW, with a nasal inflection

grrrrronyarrrr (add the merest suggestion of a 'd' at the end).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Torquemada posted:

grrrrronyarrrr (add the merest suggestion of a 'd' at the end).

there's no d, and you roll the r's (apologies if you're french and I'm just wrong, but afaik you never say the final consonant without an 'e')

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

sebmojo posted:

there's no d, and you roll the r's (apologies if you're french and I'm just wrong, but afaik you never say the final consonant without an 'e')

Rolling r's isn't a feature of French accents from France, it's all in the back of the mouth.

The d is indeed silent

https://forvo.com/word/grognard/#fr

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Captain Splendid posted:

Rolling r's isn't a feature of French accents from France, it's all in the back of the mouth.

The d is indeed silent

https://forvo.com/word/grognard/#fr

oh sorry, that's what i was meaning, you're right of course. what's the word for that back of the throat R

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

sebmojo posted:

oh sorry, that's what i was meaning, you're right of course. what's the word for that back of the throat R

Voiced uvular fricative /ʁ/

:goonsay:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
At the time of the actual napoleonic grognards, southern guard soldiers (and probably the Corsican himself) probably did say the d and roll the r. Parisian hadn’t taken over yet. Occitan is similar to catalan, not standard french :hist101:

The french gn is prolly more well-known to americans as the spanish ñ

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Wait, grognard isn't the name of like a funny little ugly goblin creature or something from the game??? Holy poo poo

Well that's American education for you

You must have slept through your class's grognard unit.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

At the time of the actual napoleonic grognards, southern guard soldiers (and probably the Corsican himself) probably did say the d and roll the r. Parisian hadn’t taken over yet. Occitan is similar to catalan, not standard french :hist101:

The french gn is prolly more well-known to americans as the spanish ñ

See also: Italian gn, Portuguese nh

Does Romanian have anything similar?

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

root beer posted:

See also: Italian gn, Portuguese nh

Does Romanian have anything similar?

Tsuika enthusiasts make every sound known to linguistics.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can't "beat" Berzerk; there's thousands of rooms.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've just realised that each string on a guitar, up to the 12th fret, has all the notes of the chromatic scale. They just start and end at different notes.

I've been playing guitar for like 18 years now. I'm finally getting around to actually learning the fretboard, and this leapt out at me. Obvious when I think about it, I already knew each fret was a semitone and there are only 12 of them in the whole scale...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wait till you figure out about pinch harmonics and their positions!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks for the warm reception to my turtle Speedy. I learned another fact about her!

https://i.imgur.com/pvmB3Ap.mp4

This was so obvious in hindsight, but she's been a house pet for 15 years and likes her independence, so we never realized that she likes to perch if you offer! My slipper is a rock from her vantage point. It's warm, a place to settle and get a look around, and get some bonus scratches. So I got her some slippers to mess around with and perch on. :3:

But the wildest thing is that she conveyed to me she wanted me to do that. She was looking back and forth at me like an expectant dog, taking a few steps, looking back until I followed. How can something with such a little pea brain be so intelligent at conveing intentions like that? Are there studies on reptile smarts??

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

You should crosspost this in the Blessed thread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Isn't it tho? That is a great idea. We also recently learned that it's not just fish and shrimp, she also loves GRUB TREAT

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Thanks for the warm reception to my turtle Speedy. I learned another fact about her!

https://i.imgur.com/pvmB3Ap.mp4

This was so obvious in hindsight, but she's been a house pet for 15 years and likes her independence, so we never realized that she likes to perch if you offer! My slipper is a rock from her vantage point. It's warm, a place to settle and get a look around, and get some bonus scratches. So I got her some slippers to mess around with and perch on. :3:

But the wildest thing is that she conveyed to me she wanted me to do that. She was looking back and forth at me like an expectant dog, taking a few steps, looking back until I followed. How can something with such a little pea brain be so intelligent at conveing intentions like that? Are there studies on reptile smarts??

Love it :3:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

root beer posted:

You should crosspost this in the Blessed thread

Hope you don't mind CJacobs, but I did that when you made your post about shell scritchies! You and Speedy are very welcome over there. :kimchi:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Turtles are some of the cutest animals IMHO

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

Anchor's aweigh!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

This

ISN'T "Handsome Squidward".

Thing I just realized: those are wrinkles to the sides of Squidward's eyes, they're not Chuck Jones-style eyelashes.

CJacobs posted:

Are there studies on reptile smarts??

It's not my field so I don't know how extensive the literature is, but I did find out last year or so that there was a study that determined crocodiles can and do play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phy posted:

Thing I just realized: those are wrinkles to the sides of Squidward's eyes, they're not Chuck Jones-style eyelashes.

It's not my field so I don't know how extensive the literature is, but I did find out last year or so that there was a study that determined crocodiles can and do play.

Actually Squidward is an octopus and octopuses don't have eyelashes.