Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
I doubt this is a new sentiment but I've noticed this year the (US) college football bowl season just sucks.

It used to be nice to catch some games between teams that wouldn't normally play as a way to chill out after the Christmas insanity but now the games are just awful.

Between transfers and people leaving teams to join the NFL draft most of the games are like spring football full of third stringers and freshmen.

I don't even see the point. Of course it's always been more about the advertising than the football but surely even the brands can see nobody is going to want to watch these games going forward. I guess they're counting on the expanded tournament to bring in some excitement but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
This year had an edible mascot so with all due respect to whatever else you said I disagree

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

bossy lady posted:

Everything needs to have "lore" now. It's not sufficient to enjoy something without 3,000 wiki pages explaining the backstory or melvins picking apart every minute detail to find meaning.

I don't know if the proliferation of the internet has made this worse or if it has always been here and is just more noticeable because of the internet.

Haven't you ever wondered how the villain in this beloved story came to be so evil? In this prequel

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Haven't you ever wondered how the villain in this beloved story came to be so evil? In this prequel

Studios are terrified of risk on any unproven IP
Great way to make compelling films

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I bet this so called villain is just a misunderstood hero, destined for her role in Book 3, The Teacher Reckoning

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Now consider how fuckin cool it's gonna be when everybody's grandparents have a 24/7 assault of AI scammers.

Future's great.

I use the Google AI screening thing where you can ask questions to the caller through the AI without answering the phone. It catches the boomers every time. People will have conversations with it - ask it how it's day is going, etc

It's gonna be bad in 5 years

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

redshirt posted:

lol please refer back to this comment when you question in the years to come "Have I turned into an old man?"

What do you mean? I'm already old as hell. Look at my reg date

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bossy lady posted:

There's more to being an old man then just age....

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

redshirt posted:

There's more to being an old man then just age....

nut sacc length?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bossy lady posted:

Look inside you and find this truth

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vampire Panties posted:

here's a funny/weird one -

this may just be a backhanded note about the enshittification of my vision as a middle aged goon

It’s not. I’ve actually had surgeries that have given me amazing new vision, after years of failing vision. And with my amazing new science eyes I can confidently say graphics stopped getting appreciably better 10 years ago.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

7of7 posted:

I doubt this is a new sentiment but I've noticed this year the (US) college football bowl season just sucks.

It used to be nice to catch some games between teams that wouldn't normally play as a way to chill out after the Christmas insanity but now the games are just awful.

Between transfers and people leaving teams to join the NFL draft most of the games are like spring football full of third stringers and freshmen.

I don't even see the point. Of course it's always been more about the advertising than the football but surely even the brands can see nobody is going to want to watch these games going forward. I guess they're counting on the expanded tournament to bring in some excitement but we'll see.

:hmmyes: IMO all football has sucked for years. As Bo Jackson, Deon Sanders, etc have proven, a talented athlete can excel at any sport... so why play a game that will turn your brain into mush after two years and leave you with no retirement? :tinfoil: I also think this is why the influx of megastar QBs has slowed/stopped :tinfoil:

Also figure out how to make a ticket to the game under a hundred dollars TIA

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The etc doing a lot of heavy lifting there

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cerekk posted:

Plastic wrapping for tea bags does a way better job of preventing the one box of mint tea from making all the other teas smell like mint tea

I am not a tea drinker, but man it's nice with metal tins and loose tea that you can refill.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

galagazombie posted:

It’s not. I’ve actually had surgeries that have given me amazing new vision, after years of failing vision. And with my amazing new science eyes I can confidently say graphics stopped getting appreciably better 10 years ago.

We've long since passed the point where the appeal of graphics is no longer limited by hardware, but by the quality of the talent that works on it. You can keep cranking up the number of polygons and shaders and other technological bells and whistles, but it has pretty much zero effect these days. But hiring competent artists and delegating more power to them to take advantage of the technology is expensive, and not easily converted into kpis, and hard to stomach for the managerial class, so we'll keep pushing those meaningless numbers up and pretending it matters.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

7of7 posted:

I took my daughter to the park yesterday for like an hour when a game started yesterday. Upon my return, only 11 minutes had elapsed on the game clock. What a waste of time

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

steinrokkan posted:

We've long since passed the point where the appeal of graphics is no longer limited by hardware, but by the quality of the talent that works on it. You can keep cranking up the number of polygons and shaders and other technological bells and whistles, but it has pretty much zero effect these days. But hiring competent artists and delegating more power to them to take advantage of the technology is expensive, and not easily converted into kpis, and hard to stomach for the managerial class, so we'll keep pushing those meaningless numbers up and pretending it matters.

This is definitely an element, as well as the brain drain that comes with paying people low enough that they get out of the industry altogether, but another factor I think is console generations growing longer and there being a larger focus on higher resolutions, which means that you're trying to make the same thing on older hardware at 1440p / 2k / 4k. Advancement is definitely going to stall at that point.

Crowd simulations and ray-tracing are new neat technologies, but really the biggest leap forward recently is probably something like DLSS, which doesn't make games look better, it allows worse hardware to make games look the same.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Armacham posted:

I took my daughter to the park yesterday for like an hour when a game started yesterday. Upon my return, only 11 minutes had elapsed on the game clock. What a waste of time

This is ultimately why I stopped watching football about 15 years ago. It's so loving slow.

After break, ball went OB? Ad break. Gotta measure the play, ad break. Scoring play? Ad break while we review.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Armacham posted:

We were at the in-laws for two days during the holidays and they still watch broadcast TV and the advertising is absolutely relentless.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
E; nevermind this post

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Rochallor posted:

This is definitely an element, as well as the brain drain that comes with paying people low enough that they get out of the industry altogether, but another factor I think is console generations growing longer and there being a larger focus on higher resolutions, which means that you're trying to make the same thing on older hardware at 1440p / 2k / 4k. Advancement is definitely going to stall at that point.

Crowd simulations and ray-tracing are new neat technologies, but really the biggest leap forward recently is probably something like DLSS, which doesn't make games look better, it allows worse hardware to make games look the same.

Much like movies, game budgets are going to be the limiting factor, as a lot of titles are nearing the point where they need 8 figure sales numbers just to break even. The most recent Spiderman game apparently cost something like $300 million to make.

And, like movies, when you are talking those kinds of numbers, you can't really afford to take risks, so expect yet more sequels and remakes of 20+ year old games at the top end.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Instead of spending $100 million on one game, why not spend $1 million on 100 games?

:thunk:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Outpost22 posted:

Instead of spending $100 million on one game, why not spend $1 million on 100 games?

:thunk:

Grats on becoming a venture capitalist in 2021

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I absolutely hate fan fiction and theories with a passion. Complete garbage. Insane theories and so much wasted thought processes on creating your own idea and showing everyone else on the internet what your made up idea is.

Just ask the loving writer or whoever has ownership of it.

edit: I'm sure some fan fiction/theories are entertaining but they don't matter
edit2: EU stuff and poo poo that got greenlit I don't mind. I have a bunch of books. But I guess it's more complex depending on the media. Sorry.

The fan fiction and theories on horror based around existential dread ideas is how we ended up with two mentally ill kids nearly murdering another kids, with the wiki's and theories and fan fiction getting to the point of saying Slenderman could be summoned and that Slenderman had proxies instead of just being this weird creature mean thing in the background of photos taken before terrible events and causing dread.

more on topic: my posting has gotten noticeably shittier for no good reason

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

We were at the in-laws for two days during the holidays and they still watch broadcast TV and the advertising is absolutely relentless.

Live sports are the only time I deal with commercials now and once you get into the habit of hitting mute every time it makes a big difference.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

It kinda sounds like street fentanyl is basically enshittified heroin

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I can't fuckin upload images via imgur through the Awful app without linking the accounts which didn't work. So I spent 20 minutes trying to remember my imgur account info to log in via their unbelievably lovely homepage, at which point I find out its been used for years to post pictures of what I assume are russian mail order brides. :psyduck:
E: you can't even upload through their site, it has to be via their app???

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Biplane posted:

I can't fuckin upload images via imgur through the Awful app without linking the accounts which didn't work. So I spent 20 minutes trying to remember my imgur account info to log in via their unbelievably lovely homepage, at which point I find out its been used for years to post pictures of what I assume are russian mail order brides. :psyduck:

Yeah, imgur has been a lost cause for like 10 years now. I miss the simpler days of imgshack and waffleimages. Imgbb.com is a pretty decent option nowadays, IMO.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Yeah, imgur has been a lost cause for like 10 years now. I miss the simpler days of imgshack and waffleimages. Imgbb.com is a pretty decent option nowadays, IMO.

Thank you, I'll check out Imgbb.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ever wondered how "the blob" become "the blob"? find out in "behind the blob", streaming exclusively on toilet+

Convex fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 1, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Tythas posted:

The fan fiction and theories on horror based around existential dread ideas is how we ended up with two mentally ill kids nearly murdering another kids, with the wiki's and theories and fan fiction getting to the point of saying Slenderman could be summoned and that Slenderman had proxies instead of just being this weird creature mean thing in the background of photos taken before terrible events and causing dread.

Yeah!!! Crime went up because of GTA too!!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Biplane posted:

Postimage.org has served me well though catbox.moe works, but some can’t see it

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Yeah!!! Crime went up because of GTA too!!

i think theyre just saying it gets to some people

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

veepfake posted:

i think theyre just saying it gets to some people

I understand what they’re saying it’s a dumb take

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

teen witch posted:

Postimage.org has served me well though catbox.moe works, but some can’t see it

The latter is for enshittified reasons but can be resolved
FAQ

catbox.moe posted:

## Connectivity Issues

Why can't I access Catbox/access files on Catbox (files.catbox.moe)?
Good question! It turns out certain governments in the world hate freedom of information, don't have net neutrality, don't see online service providers as legally exempt entities, or a combination of the three!
You will have issues accessing Catbox/files on Catbox if you are connecting from the following countries or providers:

• Austrailia

• Why? - The Australian government had a heart attack after the Christchurch shooting, and decided that Catbox was a terrorist propaganda spreading website, and has instructed multiple Australian ISPs to implement DNS blocks of Catbox's domains.

• How to resolve? - Changing your DNS servers to a public server (i.e. 8.8.8.8, 76.76.2.0, or 208.67.222.222) or utilizing DoH should mitigate this problem.

• Ireland/UK

• Why? - Unfortunately the love of footy has overtaken the sensibilites of the British and Irish governments, and they have decided to implement an IP level block on Catbox's primary IP address, due to clips of games being uploaded to Catbox..

• How to resolve? - You will need to utilize a VPN in order to evade this traffic hijack.

• Iran

• Why? - Unknown, but I'm sure you can probably make some pretty accurate guesses.

• How to resolve? - You will need to use a VPN to bypass the IP-level block.

• Afghanistan

• Why? - Unknown, but I'm sure you can probably make some pretty accurate guesses.

• How to resolve? - You will need to use a VPN to bypass the IP-level block.

• Comcast/Comcast Business

• Why? - Comcast Business' "SecurityEdge" hijacking attack intecepts traffic going towards Catbox. Residential customers are blocked by "xFi Advanced Security" I have been unable to determine if this is a DNS level block, or an IP level block.

• How to resolve? - Comcast Residential: Disable the "xFi Advanced Security" hijack on your router. Comcast Business: Disable the "SecurityEdge" hijack on your account. See here.

• Spectrum

• Why? - Spectrum's "SecurityEdge" hijacking attack intercepts DNS requests for Catbox for an unknown reason.

• How to resolve? - Spectrum Residential customers should disable the "SecurityEdge" hijack in their router/account settings, or use a VPN to bypass the hijack.

• Rogers

• Why? - Unknown. It appears to be dynamically filtering web traffic to Catbox.

• How to resolve? - Disable the "Advanced Security" hijack attack in your Rogers settings

• Quad9

• Why? - Quad9 actually pulls an aggregate list of URL blacklists and uses them for their filtered DNS service. Catbox is frequently added to no-name blacklists for various reasons.

• How to resolve? - Use Quad9's alternative DNS server 9.9.9.10, or switch to another public DNS server.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

oh. idk, i think media can reinforce stuff in some people. doesn't make them do anything obvi but doesn't not act as validation sometimes. mix that in with some mental illness like a murderer and there ya go. but ya i mean that's a vulnerability that wouldnt affect most people

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pretty sure it's not a coincidence school shootings and violent FPS (later TPS) games blew up at the same time

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

Pretty sure it's not a coincidence school shootings and violent FPS (later TPS) games blew up at the same time

Lmao here comes the boomer takes

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/02/20/after-parkland-video-games-back-critics-crosshairs/356654002/

quote:

Not so fast, says Villanova University psychologist and researcher Patrick Markey. “All we can really say for sure is that there does not appear to be a link at this time between violent video games and school shootings,” he said. “And if there is a link, it goes in the opposite direction.”

That is, school shooters are actually less likely to be interested in violent games than their peers. A few, such as Virginia Tech gunman Seung-Hui Cho, had no interest at all — a fact that surprised his roommate, who “thought it was weird he didn’t play video games,” Markey said.

In fact, only about 20% of school shooters play video games, compared with about 70% of high school students overall.

Markey, co-author of the 2017 book Moral Combat: Why the War on Violent Video Games Is Wrong, said school shooters as a group “tend to do things that aren’t typical of their peers.” Typical teenage behaviors include playing video games, many of them violent. “It’s just a sign of a healthy childhood to do things that our peers do, even if parents don’t like it,” he said.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

quote:

Markey, co-author of the 2017 book Moral Combat: Why the War on Violent Video Games Is Wrong, said school shooters as a group “tend to do things that aren’t typical of their peers.” Typical teenage behaviors include playing video games, many of them violent. “It’s just a sign of a healthy childhood to do things that our peers do, even if parents don’t like it,” he said.

New school shooter identification protocol:

"If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do that, too?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

.95 of psychology is completely made up (increasingly enshittified too); look into the reproducibility crisis, Stanford prison experiment, Kitty Genovese etc.