Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

McKracken posted:

That makes sense, haven't played one since DW7 and was looking for an easy on-line co-op situation with friends and wanted to avoid any particularly bad ports etc

Oh, well heads up that the WO3 re-release does not have online co-op, it's local only. WO4 does though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Yeah just noticed that about WO3, but WO4 does have full online features so it looks like that's our guy

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you're not after a specific franchise like One Piece or whatever, Warriors Orochi 3 is the best Musou game and Warriors Orochi 4 is good too if you want something with better graphics. 4 might even be better now with all the DLC rerelease stuff IDK. But 3 is an all-time banger and got an ultimate edition re-release on Steam last year and is only $28. I can't even remember why I liked 3 more than 4 at this point but they're both extremely good. It's the Super Smash Bros of Musou games.

I've only just started playing WO4 so can't say too much personally but the main complaints i've heard about it are that the Magic system that it introduces make all the characters feel homogenized (although at least initially, it's kinda cool, but i can see why it might get old after a few dozen hours) and that the endgame is boring compared to WO3 (obviously i haven't reached it myself yet but I guess it's mostly wandering around killing static groups of enemies). also i guess the character variety is really underwhelming compared to WO3 (3 has, in addition to dynasty/samurai warriors, a bunch of more obscure koei/tecmo characters like joan of arc, nemea, ryu from ninja gaiden, characters from dead or alive, and others i'm forgetting. apparently 4 is just dynasty/samurai plus greek mythology characters (which tbf is still pretty weird, but not games master anthony level like 3 was). if you've never played either, you might as well start with 3. i don't remember anything being noticeably bad about the port but i'm not too picky about these things

i think either that or dynasty warriors 8 xl is probably the best of what's available on steam (i'd pick hyrule warriors definitive edition if you have a switch), DW8xl is just very polished and excellent, probably the best iteration of the formula before they took a big swing and missed by throwing it out the window for 9, which sucks and you shouldn't play. dynasty warriors 7 is also very good; it's a better telling of the romance of the three kingdoms story, if that's at all important to you, but in terms of video gameness, 8xl is slightly better in every other way that matters.

i'm also kind of a big fan of samurai warriors: spirit of sanada, but i don't think anyone likes it quite as much as me. I appreciate it for telling a pretty cohesive beginning-to-end story of the sengoku period through the lens of a single clan (with side missions taking you to big moments the sanada clan wasn't involved in), and I'm a sucker for games with down-time events in between missions like fishing or farming or whatever you can do in the castle town in that game. it also has one of my favorite musical tracks in the series, and the mission it's named after is pretty memorable, though it's also one of the last in the game.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Speaking of musou, thanks to whoever clarified that Persona Strikers is a continuation of 5 rather than a semi related spin off. My wife loved that game so even though she’s not that interested in musou she’s having a blast. From watching her play the graphics/UI/voices/sound/story all feel spot on.

i'm glad i could convince someone else to play it. as others have mentioned, the audience for this game is incredibly narrow, but if it's for you, it's for you

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Ahhhh...video games!

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Surgeon General warns against consuming video games for persons between 3 months of age and 122 years

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

People get very, very set in their ways when it comes to UI/UX. Microsoft tends to change things up with every new version, and people dislike said changes. I'm on 10 currently because I have an AMD processor (AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor) that isn't approved. I don't remember the specific reason why I can't upgrade, but it's a little frustrating that even now I'm told it doesn't meet the minimum requirements, despite this PC only being a few years old.

The 5600X is absolutely supported

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Serephina posted:

I *just* fuckin' updated my parents PC to 10 from 8.1 at the beginning of this year. I tried to get it up to 11 but the updater didn't like the hardware it was on (DRM stuff?) and I kept flaffing about trying more and more exotic workarounds until I eventually nuked the bootloader by accident, gave up and just updated them to 10.

Two years between major releases being EoL'd? All for the 'default' family home OS to roll up into a single release with oddball hardware reqs? ugh. Folks won't object to me telling them they'll need new hardware in 2025, it's just the principle of the thing that annoys me. That, and them griping to me about everything being different again, siigh.

I hear you, but you're complaining about updating from an OS released 11 years ago to an OS released 8 years ago. Shoulda just ripped the bandaid off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Orv posted:

The Surgeon General warns against consuming video games for persons between 3 months of age and 122 years

Jeanne Calment died 21 days before she would have been the only person in the world allowed to play Goldeneye on the N64.... :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

RoastBeef posted:

The 5600X is absolutely supported

I assume they don’t have the BIOS thing on that W11 upgrade cares about for reasons beyond my ken

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
We need to talk about your TPM reports

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Wolfsheim posted:

Ahhhh...video games!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Serephina posted:

I *just* fuckin' updated my parents PC to 10 from 8.1 at the beginning of this year. I tried to get it up to 11 but the updater didn't like the hardware it was on (DRM stuff?) and I kept flaffing about trying more and more exotic workarounds until I eventually nuked the bootloader by accident, gave up and just updated them to 10.

Two years between major releases being EoL'd? All for the 'default' family home OS to roll up into a single release with oddball hardware reqs? ugh. Folks won't object to me telling them they'll need new hardware in 2025, it's just the principle of the thing that annoys me. That, and them griping to me about everything being different again, siigh.
It's your folks' PC running a UEFI or legacy BIOS? That was the secret sauce for me, Win11 doesn't like legacy BIOS. I had a Win10 laptop that ran on a legacy BIOS and when I upgraded the HDD to an NVME SSD I reinstalled Windows and changed the BIOS over to UEFI. Now the goddamn thing won't shut the gently caress up about updating me to Win11.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've been playing the original Star Wars Battlefronts for the first time since high school and there is...a lot less to this game than I remembered lol

Its interesting that it came out before Episode III so they just had to kind of guess how the clone wars would end (the final clone wars mission is just shooting robots on Kashyyyk which is technically accurate) and it's fun to blow up planets with the Death Star during galactic conquest but overall it's the kind of game where you can see everything there is to see in a few hours. I still think not actually letting you play as any of the Jedi was a strong design choice though, since every subsequent Battlefronts game just becomes beelining to unlock a guy with a lightsaber then just sprinting around the map effortlessly one-shotting everyone you see.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
gently caress! I missed it...

Hail Satan!

Oh, and Happy New Years! (at least I didn't miss this)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

No, w11 is alright but no reason to rush unless there's a specific feature. I think certain recent CPUs benefit? They finally fixed the display port multi monitor window position bugs.

Wait they did what now? How's that work please? I ended up buying Displayfusion (in the Steam sale!) just because it can save position profiles.

e: happy nys and gaming to all

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 1, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i refuse to believe windows 10 is that loving old already

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Linear time is a terrorist organization. But like a real one not a list of brown people.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I began to see a pattern... do so many game studios really put out so much bad games these days? Or maybe there's something common with them.. a same publisher maybe, forcing to release unfinished games and then drown them in DLC's?

Personally I am done with any game coming from Paradox in future.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I can roll my eyes at all the paradox releases but I'm legit mad they got involved with Across the Obelisk. Using the paradox launcher, pricing DLCs higher than the base game. Recent reviews are mostly negative now.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Chubby Henparty posted:

Wait they did what now? How's that work please? I ended up buying Displayfusion (in the Steam sale!) just because it can save position profiles.

e: happy nys and gaming to all

MS had reported it was fixed when w11 launched, but it still broke for me occasionally so I had to keep running DisplayFusion. At some point a patch must've fixed it for real and I was finally able to retire DF. Not that anything in particular was wrong with DF, but like startisback I figure the fewer things like that running the fewer things to break.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Apropos the Windows discussion: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/11/europeans-can-soon-strip-bing-edge-other-microsoft-cruft-from-windows-11/
tldr: W11 is going to be upgraded for EU residents only.

I’m still not a fan of W11 or my current W10 pc, but that’s mostly because the gradual shift to tiles and touchscreen-friendly UI is totally chaotic and confusing. I still stumble on menus that look like they came from 1995 and the modern control panel has like 3 different design schemes.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 1, 2024

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

MS had reported it was fixed when w11 launched, but it still broke for me occasionally so I had to keep running DisplayFusion. At some point a patch must've fixed it for real and I was finally able to retire DF. Not that anything in particular was wrong with DF, but like startisback I figure the fewer things like that running the fewer things to break.

I prefer startisback too but every restart now moves the monitors about randomly. This is a pain because my stupid flight sim config needs every monitor just so :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Win 10 in EU also allows you to turn off a bunch of telemetry without having to use third-party software.
I'm glad EU is reigning in at least some of the corporate bullshit.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

I began to see a pattern... do so many game studios really put out so much bad games these days? Or maybe there's something common with them.. a same publisher maybe, forcing to release unfinished games and then drown them in DLC's?

Personally I am done with any game coming from Paradox in future.

Paradox seem to be very 'Make moneyLaunch it now and we'll sell DLCfix it later'
My personal experience with Skylines 2 was that it clearly needed more time in the oven but Paradox forced them to push it out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played Stellaris since launch, at least one campaign every single time they released a big patch or DLC.
The last DLC they released is the first time I haven't done that, because not only is the DLC itself a whole load of nothing that costs way too much, developed by an outsourced team instead of in-house, the patch seems to also have been outsourced as they hosed parts of the game up in a way they haven't before.

It's Endless Space 2 Awakening all over again.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

To be fair a lot of people refused to upgrade to 10 until 7 was EOL'd and that was only 4 years ago

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jack Trades posted:

It's Endless Space 2 Awakening all over again.

What a filthy comparison, as Amplitude have a track record for solid, modular DLC while the paradox model is infamous with whoever's played any of their games. Case in point, ES2: Awakening has recently had them go back and patch the drat thing. (too be fair, much too late, but it's happening)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Croccers posted:

Paradox seem to be very 'Make moneyLaunch it now and we'll sell DLCfix it later'
My personal experience with Skylines 2 was that it clearly needed more time in the oven but Paradox forced them to push it out.

I've found Paradox DLC for their mainline titles a poor proposition for a long time now, but what really got me to sour on them was the fuckery that came out on their management of Harebrained Schemes, leading to the death of a studio that made some of my favourite games of the last decade.

please don't ruin Triumph, i love age of wonders

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wish they had made more Tyranny content. It was an imperfect game but with more iteration I think it could've been an amazing series. Too bad we'll probably never seen any sequels.

ZearothK posted:

I've found Paradox DLC for their mainline titles a poor proposition for a long time now, but what really got me to sour on them was the fuckery that came out on their management of Harebrained Schemes, leading to the death of a studio that made some of my favourite games of the last decade.

please don't ruin Amplitude, i love age of wonders

Was there more to the story besides the game turned out bad and Paradox abandoned it instead of trying to turn it around? The game's concept sounded really wonky to me, but I guess HBS wanted to try to make their own game instead of licensed stuff. Their attempt at an indie Dark Souls wasn't very good either.

It's a real shame they didn't just do more Battletech content because that game is so good. That game is perfectly setup to do years of dlc too and for once Paradox just stopped after a couple releases. Where's the clan war stuff? etc etc

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FuzzySlippers posted:

I wish they had made more Tyranny content. It was an imperfect game but with more iteration I think it could've been an amazing series. Too bad we'll probably never seen any sequels.

Was there more to the story besides the game turned out bad and Paradox abandoned it instead of trying to turn it around? The game's concept sounded really wonky to me, but I guess HBS wanted to try to make their own game instead of licensed stuff. Their attempt at an indie Dark Souls wasn't very good either.

It's a real shame they didn't just do more Battletech content because that game is so good. That game is perfectly setup to do years of dlc too and for once Paradox just stopped after a couple releases. Where's the clan war stuff? etc etc

Apparently HBS wanted to make more licensed stuff, including more BT, but PDX didn't want the revenue share involved in that proposition and strong armed the studio into developing a new IP.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

ZearothK posted:

Apparently HBS wanted to make more licensed stuff, including more BT, but PDX didn't want the revenue share involved in that proposition and strong armed the studio into developing a new IP.

WTF that is dumb as hell I assumed it was HBS wanting to do something original. Paradox coulda had a percent of BT stuff forever but chose to have 100 percent of nothing. What a waste

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Serephina posted:

What a filthy comparison, as Amplitude have a track record for solid, modular DLC while the paradox model is infamous with whoever's played any of their games. Case in point, ES2: Awakening has recently had them go back and patch the drat thing. (too be fair, much too late, but it's happening)

What's wrong with ES2:A? I'm not familiar with the game, but even the much-maligned, newest Total Warhammer DLC is just overpriced and middling compared to its contemporaries, but it sounds like Awakening is just flat-out bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Serephina posted:

It's not a fair comparison, yeah, but my point was that once you start outsourcing other studios to work on your game, instead of doing it yourself, that's when everything goes to poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

What's wrong with ES2:A? I'm not familiar with the game, but even the much-maligned, newest Total Warhammer DLC is just overpriced and middling compared to its contemporaries, but it sounds like Awakening is just flat-out bad.

Without delving into the mechanics, It just flat out ruined the game.
They added content so lovely it hosed the whole game up and the developers are currently outsourcing it to trusted community members to unfuck it, more than half a decade later.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Death?
I thought they just split from Paradox.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Croccers posted:

Death?
I thought they just split from Paradox.

Report is they had like 80% of their staff laid off before Lamplighter's release.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

fit em all up in there posted:

Any opinions on DotAGE ?

I'm sure the Management thread got all about it for a while, IIRC

I don't super get on with it myself - it has a bit more challenge to it than I was looking for at the time. But lots of people love it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

fit em all up in there posted:

Any opinions on DotAGE ?

It's a very well made worker-shuffler type of management game. I liked it a lot.
The only problems it's got is the fact that each run is a bit long, several hours long, and that Against the Storm just came out which occupies the same niche.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Windows has also done a stellar job of making each iteration past 8 look more and more like it was designed tablet-first, which as a desktop-only type person feels like shiiiit

It's this, 100%.

That said, I don't mind Win 11 too much, except that I could never get used to the start menu button being in the middle of the taskbar. And I just found out from this thread that this is something you can change, so thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think Win8 was the peak of their tabletization of the UI and subsequent iterations have been walking it back a bit. IIRC all that was the bright idea of the previous regime under Steve Ballmer and things started turning around after Satya Nadella took over as CEO.