Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Windows 11 sucked rear end until a month or so ago when they finally loving patched back in the ability to ungroup taskbar icons.

yeah, this was a big improvement. I run startisback with w11 for a while but last week finally remove it since stock everything is fine. An option to center everything is nice on UW monitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ultrafilter posted:

Windows 11 is mostly fine but they moved the Start button away from where it had been ever since Windows 95.

Putting the start button on the left has been in Win11 from the beginning, it just defaults to center.

E: context

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Objective Action posted:

The only people more likely to have a trojan on their computer right now are industrial PCs running XP on a CNC machine somewhere.

What about members of CnC Music Factory?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaTGrV58wec

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

I regret to inform you we lost CnC to Russian ransomware the year after Kriss Kross and Kid N Play got into that fatal diss match. All we have left is "Marky" Mark, even the Funky Bunch is gone.

RIP 😔

Orv
May 4, 2011
I regret to inform y'all that that's just how Jagged Alliance is and has always been. It's not nuXCOM it's OG XCOM where playing it 'wrong' results in your dudes getting immensely hell owned forever.

This is why JA3 is good.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Installing windows 11 because of this thread. This is now the Windows tech support thread.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Installing windows 11 because of this thread. This is now the Windows tech support thread.

I mean it's already basically the PC Gaming thread anyway, right? What's one more level of tech support added to the rest?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I can't find Windows on Steam, do I have some weird tag on ignore or something?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is Windows 11 really worth it if I have no pressing need to upgrade? Like I'm very happy with my current Windows 10 setup, but I do get the prompt to upgrade every few weeks. Thought I'd upgrade when 10 reaches end of support or something

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm one of the SH/SC mods and I say:

Objective Action posted:

As a security professional: please for the love of god just update Windows and get off 7. I don't care how much you love the interface, it hasn't had security updates in literally years. The only people more likely to have a trojan on their computer right now are industrial PCs running XP on a CNC machine somewhere.

Just bite the bullet and jump to 11. An hour or two toggling settings and you can get it functionally identical to 7 and not have giant gaping holes in your protection.

I am literally begging you, please.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Until you can put the start bar vertically on the right side of the screen I'm staying on Windows 10 and that's final

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

10 is fine. I'll allow it. But only if you promise to ban anyone who admits to running Windows 7 in Games. :twisted:

Or E/N I guess. As long as you use your powers for good somewhere.

[edit: Jesus, do not try to post while cooking.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 1, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kazil posted:

I can't find Windows on Steam, do I have some weird tag on ignore or something?

Mods need to stop loving around and finally rename this thread

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

na.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Until you can put the start bar vertically on the right side of the screen I'm staying on Windows 10 and that's final

Wait what? My Windows 10 taskbar is literally on the right side of the screen oh my god I really need that there

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Artelier posted:

Is Windows 11 really worth it if I have no pressing need to upgrade? Like I'm very happy with my current Windows 10 setup, but I do get the prompt to upgrade every few weeks. Thought I'd upgrade when 10 reaches end of support or something

No, w11 is alright but no reason to rush unless there's a specific feature. I think certain recent CPUs benefit? They finally fixed the display port multi monitor window position bugs. There is also slightly better bluetooth audio stuff as I recall one of the fancy bt codecs is w11 only. Otherwise it's basically the same with a few things a little worse or a little better.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tim Sweeney’s Statutorily Obligated Generic PC Gaming Zone Presented by Epic Games

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiny Timbs posted:

windows versions came up specifically in relation to steam changing its support for windows.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Artelier posted:

You'll want to upgrade before 2025, when it goes EOL and into extended support.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Mid pandemic we got into VR big-time and win 11 had compatibility issues.

I'm sure it's different now but like lumiere says if it ain't baroque don't fix it

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

FuzzySlippers posted:

No, w11 is alright but no reason to rush unless there's a specific feature. I think certain recent CPUs benefit? They finally fixed the display port multi monitor window position bugs. There is also slightly better bluetooth audio stuff as I recall one of the fancy bt codecs is w11 only. Otherwise it's basically the same with a few things a little worse or a little better.

HDR support actually works

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shooting Blanks posted:

You'll want to upgrade before 2025, when it goes EOL and into extended support.

Good to know for next year lol

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm legitimately curious why the overwhelming majority of people I see are like obstinately against upgrading their operating system. It's been a constant theme, everyone treats whatever the next Windows is like it's cancer. Why?

Like, surely the benefits of a more current environment outweigh the cons in most cases?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

man nurse posted:

I'm legitimately curious why the overwhelming majority of people I see are like obstinately against upgrading their operating system. It's been a constant theme, everyone treats whatever the next Windows is like it's cancer. Why?

Like, surely the benefits of a more current environment outweigh the cons in most cases?

95% of it is laziness I feel. It's like ripping off the bandaid if you could avoid ripping it off by letting it get crusty.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Internet Explorer posted:

10 is fine. I'll allow it. But only if you promise to ban anyone who admits to running Windows 7 in Games. :twisted:

Or E/N I guess. As long as you use your powers for good somewhere.

[edit: Jesus, do not try to post while cooking.]

I *just* fuckin' updated my parents PC to 10 from 8.1 at the beginning of this year. I tried to get it up to 11 but the updater didn't like the hardware it was on (DRM stuff?) and I kept flaffing about trying more and more exotic workarounds until I eventually nuked the bootloader by accident, gave up and just updated them to 10.

Two years between major releases being EoL'd? All for the 'default' family home OS to roll up into a single release with oddball hardware reqs? ugh. Folks won't object to me telling them they'll need new hardware in 2025, it's just the principle of the thing that annoys me. That, and them griping to me about everything being different again, siigh.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Any opinions on DotAGE ?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

man nurse posted:

People get very, very set in their ways when it comes to UI/UX. Microsoft tends to change things up with every new version, and people dislike said changes. I'm on 10 currently because I have an AMD processor (AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor) that isn't approved. I don't remember the specific reason why I can't upgrade, but it's a little frustrating that even now I'm told it doesn't meet the minimum requirements, despite this PC only being a few years old.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Windows has also done a stellar job of making each iteration past 8 look more and more like it was designed tablet-first, which as a desktop-only type person feels like shiiiit

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

I *just* fuckin' updated my parents PC to 10 from 8.1 at the beginning of this year. I tried to get it up to 11 but the updater didn't like the hardware it was on (DRM stuff?) and I kept flaffing about trying more and more exotic workarounds until I eventually nuked the bootloader by accident, gave up and just updated them to 10.

I thought I couldn't update my computer to 11 for a long time. Turns out I just needed to load new drivers into the MB.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I thought Windows 10 was supposed to be the version updated for a long time with changes just coming in patches instead of big version changes, but I guess supposedly 11 is that now instead? They should've taken a page from the not at all confusing Xbox and Battlefield franchises and called it Windows One.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

FuzzySlippers posted:

I thought Windows 10 was supposed to be the version updated for a long time with changes just coming in patches instead of big version changes, but I guess supposedly 11 is that now instead? They should've taken a page from the not at all confusing Xbox and Battlefield franchises and called it Windows One.

Windows 10 is almost a decade old at this point.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Windows has also done a stellar job of making each iteration past 8 look more and more like it was designed tablet-first, which as a desktop-only type person feels like shiiiit

Every new version of windows always seems to try to hide the way I know how to do things until I flip a bunch of toggles and go through an entirely new set of menus that I will forget where they are until I need them again.

I never have this problem on my Mac :awesome:

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Is there a consensus best musou game on steam?

Orv
May 4, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

That was the plan at some point according to a Microsoft announcement but was seemingly abandoned a while ago.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Windows 10 is almost a decade old at this point.

stfu with your passage of time 2015 was just a few years ago

Orv
May 4, 2011

McKracken posted:

Honestly if any of the particular themes or settings draw your eye there haven’t been any like, strongly bad musou’s in a while, aside from DW9. People speak pretty fondly of all of them and mostly bicker between versions with more or less content or the occasional bad design decision, like the last Samurai Warriors just being kind of weird.

That said if you have a Switch, the Fire Emblem and Hyrule musous are some of the best ever and you don’t have to put up with the uh, let’s say extremely variable technical competence of the PC ports.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

McKracken posted:

If you're not after a specific franchise like One Piece or whatever, Warriors Orochi 3 is the best Musou game and Warriors Orochi 4 is good too if you want something with better graphics. 4 might even be better now with all the DLC rerelease stuff IDK. But 3 is an all-time banger and got an ultimate edition re-release on Steam last year and is only $28. I can't even remember why I liked 3 more than 4 at this point but they're both extremely good. It's the Super Smash Bros of Musou games.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 1, 2024

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
That makes sense, haven't played one since DW7 and was looking for an easy on-line co-op situation with friends and wanted to avoid any particularly bad ports etc

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Speaking of musou, thanks to whoever clarified that Persona Strikers is a continuation of 5 rather than a semi related spin off. My wife loved that game so even though she’s not that interested in musou she’s having a blast. From watching her play the graphics/UI/voices/sound/story all feel spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
They’re almost all bad ports on PC but they have been getting gradually better so the WO3 rerelease is probably okay