Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kim Justice posted:

Or you could just use livestreams to donate the money directly to the charity with no middlemen like 95% of other people in the field do, instead of setting up a middleman charity to handle the money when you don't know what the gently caress you're doing, and that's the most charitable reading of what's going on.

Also, this hardly rings true when the charity was operating since 2014 and when it was highlighted, they said they hadn't found anyone yet. I mean, seriously? That took NINE YEARS?

As I have it understood, the simple person explanation is that they were letting the money sit while they did the work to setup and infinite money cheat code which required a single big chunk of money. Would need to rewatch to get all of the eetails, but that was the gist if it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

I hate that there is a goldeneye nazi speedrunning cotiere

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean yeah, obviously, but which one?

the one in a slapfight with billy mitchell over donkey kong

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

doomrider7 posted:

As I have it understood, the simple person explanation is that they were letting the money sit while they did the work to setup and infinite money cheat code which required a single big chunk of money. Would need to rewatch to get all of the eetails, but that was the gist if it.

Basically, if you want to dictate how a donation is used, it usually needs to be sizeable enough that an organization wants to accept the extra accounting that has to go with it and having potential liability if the funds are not used in the prescribed way (which can get real drat specific). That is what Jirard said the ultimate aim was, now why that wasn't said during the call is odd but absentee directors in non profits is not really a rare occurrence. Charities and restaurants tend to be things people daydream about doing that most really really shouldn't.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kosume Shezaki posted:

Basically, if you want to dictate how a donation is used, it usually needs to be sizeable enough that an organization wants to accept the extra accounting that has to go with it and having potential liability if the funds are not used in the prescribed way (which can get real drat specific). That is what Jirard said the ultimate aim was, now why that wasn't said during the call is odd but absentee directors in non profits is not really a rare occurrence. Charities and restaurants tend to be things people daydream about doing that most really really shouldn't.

As Moony said, don't attribute malice when stupidity will suffice. Right now I'm at another forum that's pretty much slathering ALL of the praise onto Karl and Mutahar as investigative geniuses who uncovered some dire plot. Jirard just comes off less malicious and more incompetent(or out of his depth)than anything else, but that's not what's being sold by these two. Apparently there was also some smoking gun Discord chat that proves his guilt or something.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

doomrider7 posted:

As Moony said, don't attribute malice when stupidity will suffice. Right now I'm at another forum that's pretty much slathering ALL of the praise onto Karl and Mutahar as investigative geniuses who uncovered some dire plot. Jirard just comes off less malicious and more incompetent(or out of his depth)than anything else, but that's not what's being sold by these two. Apparently there was also some smoking gun Discord chat that proves his guilt or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVr883oXApc

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

doomrider7 posted:

It's very bad sounding, but a lot would depend on what he actually knew vs inferred, since if he kind of left it on the backburner the actual mechanics are the crux. I have family who are defense attorneys and while that call would make them cussa blue streak, the formation of the defense would likely start with "he's goddamn idiot who didn't actually keep on top of things he should have known and caused a lot problems, but the actual legal function of the organization was never compromised."

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Somebody made a transcript so THANKFULLY I don't have to watch/listen to what is ckearly an awkward as gently caress poo poo show based on what I'm reading.

Kosume Shezaki posted:

It's very bad sounding, but a lot would depend on what he actually knew vs inferred, since if he kind of left it on the backburner the actual mechanics are the crux. I have family who are defense attorneys and while that call would make them cussa blue streak, the formation of the defense would likely start with "he's goddamn idiot who didn't actually keep on top of things he should have known and caused a lot problems, but the actual legal function of the organization was never compromised."

Yeah that's my main takeaway from this. Nothing illegal or untoward happened, but a lot of stupid poo poo happened that could have happened if Jirard paid attention to this poo poo and not been a dumbass. One question though, who the gently caress are Karl Jobst and Mutahar that they're given this weird amount of "prestige" and weight in terms of these accusations as well as their research which as Moony showed left quite a bit to be desired(it was poo poo).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Even if they were actually setting up restricted funding, the major issue is that they weren't upfront about it. Jirard made statements that heavily implied the money was already being sent to specific organizations. They even said they were a major source of funding for an organization. Even if they think the restricted donation is a better way of handling things, this is not how the donors thought the money was being used. There is also the issue of stating that they wouldn't use the donated money to fund IndieLand, but they actually were (which would have been perfectly fine if they were upfront about it). They might have legally been in the right, but that doesn't mean they were morally in the right. Also the golf tournament stuff seems a little bit suspicious.

Karl Jobst and SomeOrdinaryGamer were really lovely about their research and should have consulted an expert before making such serious accusations though. I only watched SomeOrdinaryGamer's videos and it was obvious to me that they were being really sloppy. (SomeOrdinaryGamer for example didn't know that average is not the same as maximum when talking about tiltify fees).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Even if they were actually setting up restricted funding, the major issue is that they weren't upfront about it. Jirard made statements that heavily implied the money was already being sent to specific organizations. They even said they were a major source of funding for an organization. Even if they think the restricted donation is a better way of handling things, this is not how the donors thought the money was being used. There is also the issue of stating that they wouldn't use the donated money to fund IndieLand, but they actually were (which would have been perfectly fine if they were upfront about it). They might have legally been in the right, but that doesn't mean they were morally in the right. Also the golf tournament stuff seems a little bit suspicious.

Karl Jobst and SomeOrdinaryGamer were really lovely about their research and should have consulted an expert before making such serious accusations though. I only watched SomeOrdinaryGamer's videos and it was obvious to me that they were being really sloppy. (SomeOrdinaryGamer for example didn't know that average is not the same as maximum when talking about tiltify fees).

This I can kind of agree with and fits into the "Jirard was a dumbass and should have paid attention to this". I don't it's a morally incorrect thing or a failure of sorts, but more human error and incompetence of communication. I don't know about the IndieLand stuff, but the video implies Jirard paid out of pocket(can't quite recall is that's what he paid out of pocket for or not), but you could be right and in either case he should have communicated these things.

Edit: I still want the lowdown on who these guys are that they seem to command so much seeming respect on fields that they clearly know gently caress all about(then again, thus is social media we're talking about).

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 1, 2024

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I think the easiest way to explain it is that Jirard failed in a way that people feel like should be illegal, or immoral, or uniquely bad, but is actually depressingly common in less good charities in the kind of way that's super depressing to actually think about

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I think the easiest way to explain it is that Jirard failed in a way that people feel like should be illegal, or immoral, or uniquely bad, but is actually depressingly common in less good charities in the kind of way that's super depressing to actually think about

I can kind of buy that. Also, found a thread on reddit about Moonys video and good Christ if that's actually Jobst speaking there he sounds like the biggest loving twat imaginable surrounded by the biggest yesmen possible.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Recently jobst tried to claim people are calling him a nazi because of his profile picture when instead the trust is he's often associated with right wing guys lol

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCzKtZOgi_8

Most of what I know about Jirard came from G4TV Reboot, he's a very hard worker, but I can easily see how he'd incompetent, if he's putting on too many hats, he would screw up badly. But I was more surprised he was featured on NoClip (and I guess Frank Howley from Mega 64 works there now?)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Recently jobst tried to claim people are calling him a nazi because of his profile picture when instead the trust is he's often associated with right wing guys lol

Why am I not surprised. Like a lot of his material(particularly this stuff with Jirard), just screams emotionally manipulative grifter and I don't understand how people miss that.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
before he pivoted to speedrunning content karl jobst was a pick up artist and once said he was allowed to use the n word because it wasnt racist in Australia

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

before he pivoted to speedrunning content karl jobst was a pick up artist and once said he was allowed to use the n word because it wasnt racist in Australia

Again, not surprised. Even his profile pic and the comments on the Moon Channel threads on reddit just read like the kind of pseudo-intellectual chud speak they'd use.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

He reminds me of max derrat (who I am not interested enough to investigate further) who did this very popular video of mgs2 having the most profound moment of video game history (specifically the ending speech where the AI was going to flood the Internet with trash to distract people from the real things that affect them like capitalism, politicians acting in self interest etc, which predates the invention of social media) and I thought oh this guy is a bit dumb but this video seems OK I think I will check out his library and oh why is there a huge series on Jordan Peterson lmao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

loving :lol:

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Karl jobst has nicknamed his viewers "absolute legends" and this sin alone immediately rendered him entirely unwatchable to me. Glad to see my instincts are right

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

bird. posted:

Karl jobst has nicknamed his viewers "absolute legends" and this sin alone immediately rendered him entirely unwatchable to me. Glad to see my instincts are right

That's very funny because the loving awful Norris Nuts are also Australian and also call their viewers "the legends". And both of them make unwatchable dreck.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Happy New Years you stupid as gently caress thread, you.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Nothing Jirard is saying now can really explain it well IMO.
Not when he literally said that the money not going anywhere yet was 'not cool' in an earlier call.
Though I can still give him the benefit of being Incompetent more than anything.

Anyway may 2024 be better than 2023
(it wont)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey now, 2024's gonna be the first year without Kissinger. Who knows what other developments we might see by the end of it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Hey now, 2024's gonna be the first year without Kissinger. Who knows what other developments we might see by the end of it.

I hope we get another dozen channels reading us the plots from comics!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Speaking as an Australian ..... :magical: what the actual gently caress

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Say goodbye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DKv5H5Frt0

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

No idea who that is, but good for them.

Edit: Videos look interesting. Will check them out.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Genthil posted:

New Todd & Aaron, the year can safely end now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jug4dnhF6fE

“I can’t imagine the crunch!”

banger

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The End of Tom

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Happy he finally got to harness himself to a helicopter

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Didn't ever think he'd get this big when Extra Light Pancakes first did the rounds of my computing class in school.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

I can't believe I actually grew up with Tom in 10+ years. I'm glad he's still doing Lateral in the meantime.

My favorite videos of his was the Game Garage when he would playtest game shows, and then recently, him overcoming his fear of Roller Coasters in something that felt like a documentary.

I really hope he continues making videos in the future, even if it's limited like David Attenborough.

But he deserves that break. Thank you Tom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jybB49e1mDI

Also, hey, a new Saint video dropped and you wouldn't believe who is content milling (and also, really against China for some reason)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The new British Cryptids (1974) faux documentary uses a lot of AI-generated images and deepfake interview footage and judging by the comments, 50% of the viewers didn't notice and love the video and 50% think the reliance on AI is a crime against god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rehpv-L2E

I mostly liked the video but found the AI to be super distracting

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I've never heard of Moon before (Not be be confused with the Moon Channel btw, the guy who analyzed the Karl/Completionist case)
But it sounds like plagiarism is the least of his problems.
Guy's basically another qanon-adjacent nutjob

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
can't believe tom scott is gone forever and will never make a video again
i was always partial to this one though it's not part of his channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZskjLq040I

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SexyBlindfold posted:

I liked the one he did with Jill Bearup because the backlash over it is how I learned she was a terf and stopped watching her poo poo

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SexyBlindfold posted:

It's not everyone who gets to play the world's oldest board game with a real life wizard

Man's lucky he wasn't banished to the shadow realm

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I enjoyed that he made a big deal about how he was open for sponsored videos, did I think 3 for the IOC about Winter Olympics stuff and never did one again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Kosume Shezaki posted:

Basically, if you want to dictate how a donation is used, it usually needs to be sizeable enough that an organization wants to accept the extra accounting that has to go with it and having potential liability

This is only true if you're starting a new program or specific new thing funded with the donation. Charities of the size they're dealing with almost certainly have restricted funds set up for donations of any amount for things like dementia research or what have you. Like, go to your alma mater's giving page, note how many funds are available to give to.

If they were talking about needing to reach the minimum for an endowed program or something, they certainly haven't been saying it that way, and the minimum to endow number should have been part of the fundraising efforts.

So yeah calling bullshit on their 'we needed to reach a minimum to make a restricted donation' claim.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 1, 2024