Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
So, I see there's a big sale on Fallout 76. I played it awhile back with the Games for Windows subscription and actually kind of liked it, so I was thinking about picking it up on Steam (I know I'd have to restart which is fine). What's the Pitt DLC thing getting me? Is it the actual content like other Fallout games DLC, or is it just a bundle of premium stuff like paint and the fusion core recharger that I don't really care about?

Also any general comments on the current state of the game/warnings to flee while I still can are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The Pitt DLC was fun for about a month and then it died and I don't think anyone does it anymore.

F076 is fun but I played it to death. The endgame has gotten any more interesting or developed.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Another Bill posted:

The Pitt DLC was fun for about a month and then it died and I don't think anyone does it anymore.

F076 is fun but I played it to death. The endgame has gotten any more interesting or developed.

Oh, to clarify I meant the DLC in the steam store. Do I have to buy it to get the ingame content, or is it just a collection of bonus stuff?

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Bremen posted:

What's the Pitt DLC thing getting me?

Buy the base game, it has all of the current gameplay. Any DLC or limited editions are cosmetic or items like the core recharger.

I haven't played in a few months, but it's the same game it has been.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
PITT steam dlc is just useless cosmetics. You can buy the core charger thing very easily with the premium currency you get from doing challenges and stuff as you play.
Playing through the quests is fine for :tenbux: but the endgame content is very lacking.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Is it still spelled Hallowen

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

ZeusCannon posted:

Is it still spelled Hallowen

I hope so.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Bremen posted:

So, I see there's a big sale on Fallout 76. I played it awhile back with the Games for Windows subscription and actually kind of liked it, so I was thinking about picking it up on Steam (I know I'd have to restart which is fine). What's the Pitt DLC thing getting me? Is it the actual content like other Fallout games DLC, or is it just a bundle of premium stuff like paint and the fusion core recharger that I don't really care about?

Also any general comments on the current state of the game/warnings to flee while I still can are welcome.

it's a very decent single-player experience, it gets crapped on a lot but the current state of the game is a very solid 7-8 out of 10. get the base game, don't bother with the DLC packs as others have said because they are about cosmetics, they don't unlock any story content. the main thing you could consider spending more money on is the subscription which is mainly about unlimited scrap storage, a non-negligible thing, but you can play just fine without it (I did for almost 750 hrs).

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

sauer kraut posted:

PITT steam dlc is just useless cosmetics. You can buy the core charger thing very easily with the premium currency you get from doing challenges and stuff as you play.
Playing through the quests is fine for :tenbux: but the endgame content is very lacking.

99% of the current endgame is grinding to get SCORE that you use to get cosmetics, farming gear to upgrade your crap, or aimlessly dicking around because you're unemployed and bored. The endgame content basically doesn't exist once you're happy with your gear and look. Since they removed legacy weapons, there really isn't anything super magical to grind towards. A completely perfect roll on a gun might take you a month of grinding trash up and gambling on a lucky roll.

The double edged sword of excellent gear is that the fighting goes from 'kinda fun' to 'a joke wherein I alternate pressing Q and left mouse button until everything is dead'.

Edit: All that said, the level 0-75 grind that includes all the story content is pretty great. It's just when you're level 700 the shine's all worn off on it, and what's left isn't super compelling.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

any game you get more than a hundred hours of entertainment out of, and come away from it with any fondness at all, is a pretty good return on investment

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

any game you get more than a hundred hours of entertainment out of, and come away from it with any fondness at all, is a pretty good return on investment

And I mean, I just bought it for $8. So yeah, I'll play it for the missions and maybe have some fun MMO-grinding out of it as my mood suits.

I played it a few years ago and ran through the basic campaign, all the way through infiltrating the nuke silo and taking out the SBQ, and have reasonably fond memories of that. So when I saw it on sale I figured I was up for trying it again and maybe doing the new stuff too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

don't be shy about showing up for the public events, you can only benefit from them - especially the shooting gallery style ones are a lot of fun and net you gobs of xp and trash loot.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah, the entire dumpsterfire ride from launch to now was worth the $70 they scammed me out of for the centennial version or whatever.

Flesh Forge posted:

don't be shy about showing up for the public events, you can only benefit from them - especially the shooting gallery style ones are a lot of fun and net you gobs of xp and trash loot.

Never not go to public events, they're free loot, free exp, and you can get some event-specific loot that can be pretty solid gear for players starting out, or that don't already have all the goodies they want. Also it's not like dying really costs you anything at all, gear repairs are basically free once you get white knight.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Hint: if you want people to come to your camp for Halloween candy, make sure your camp icon is publicly visible on the map.

Ask me how I know this. :doh:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Bremen posted:

And I mean, I just bought it for $8. So yeah, I'll play it for the missions and maybe have some fun MMO-grinding out of it as my mood suits.

I played it a few years ago and ran through the basic campaign, all the way through infiltrating the nuke silo and taking out the SBQ, and have reasonably fond memories of that. So when I saw it on sale I figured I was up for trying it again and maybe doing the new stuff too.

So, I've been playing for a bit, long enough to start accumulating atoms. Any must buys for a new account?

Also I'm strongly considering 1st, mostly for the scrapbox.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I always used atoms to avoid grinding out the last 20 levels of the scoreboard.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Another Bill posted:

I always used atoms to avoid grinding out the last 20 levels of the scoreboard.

I was mostly thinking about good utility items. Maybe the ammo machine thing, that seems like it would also help with storage space given my tendencies in fallout games to grab everything not nailed down.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The Atom shop rotates pretty frequently so the good stuff won't always be there, creating FOMO.

The 'Core Recharger' is like 700 atoms, and can recharge fusion cores - if you're in Power Armor mostly, I've heard that it's an okay grab.

The CAMP items that add resources are also good to get. I use the ones for Canned Coffee, Adhesive and Wood, but there's also ones that generate Acid, Mothman eggs, all sorts of stuff.

Some Atom-shop CAMP items can be considered 'build defining' pieces that allow for manipulating CAMP walls/floors in unique ways. The Vault and Alien catwalk pieces are a great example, allowing you to place stairs/floors in places you otherwise cannot.

At the bottom of the shop window are various machines/followers you can buy for Gold Bullion, like Collectrons, or the Weight Bench / Exercise bike, etc. These are unlockable per-character for bullion (completing events) but if you'd like all your characters to have them from level 1, the Atom-shop ones allow this.

Mostly I just buy stuff that'd look good in CAMPs I'll never build. Maybe some day...

EDIT: If you're into making CAMPs and still feel that turrets are useful for your location, buy the Enclave Turrets (either color version) because they are extremely OP and basically pay-to-win.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 31, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Extra build slots
Extra CAMP slots

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Posted in the Modding thread but figured I'd ask here too; any suggestions for a mod that tweaks how saving works in Survival Mode in FO4?

I get wanting to prevent Save Scumming, and I like everything about the mode, except for the fact that I can spend however long walking somewhere, die because something caught me off guard and then have to walk my rear end all the way back. Or needing to go find somewhere to save when I want to stop playing.

It's dumb that I'm doing the first "Go clear out the Corvega Plant" and I'm just standing on the bridge across from the plant sniping dudes with my making GBS threads Rifle and then repeatedly using a random sleeping bag up on that bridge each time the Aggro-Meter drops.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 5, 2023

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Posted in the Modding thread but figured I'd ask here too; any suggestions for a mod that tweaks how saving works in Survival Mode in FO4?

I get wanting to prevent Save Scumming, and I like everything about the mode, except for the fact that I can spend however long walking somewhere, die because something caught me off guard and then have to walk my rear end all the way back. Or needing to go find somewhere to save when I want to stop playing.

It's dumb that I'm doing the first "Go clear out the Corvega Plant" and I'm just standing on the bridge across from the plant sniping dudes with my making GBS threads Rifle and then repeatedly using a random sleeping bag up on that bridge each time the Aggro-Meter drops.

Best I know of is a mod that adds the ability to set up a camp, so you can create a bed closer to where you wanna be.

By the way, if you quit the game it creates a temp save so you don't need to find a bed when you want to stop playing. The save is deleted when you load back in, after that you'll go back to the last bed you saved at.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Picking up season 15 today on 76. I think the last season I finished was 10 or 11? Anyways should be fun to come back to an old friend and fire up my bloodied .50 cal :black101:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Survival Options mod lets you just save normally, along with a bunch of other poo poo (i.e. I also disable the Adrenalin damage bonus because that's only there to discourage saving normally)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Welp I went to Atlantic City, and talked to Billy Beltbuckles, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. I pick up some inconspicuous bags, and there's a marker on a nearby truck, but I can't do anything with it. :confused:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Presto posted:

Welp I went to Atlantic City, and talked to Billy Beltbuckles, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. I pick up some inconspicuous bags, and there's a marker on a nearby truck, but I can't do anything with it. :confused:

They're a physical item, throw it like a nade!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS6817ptYpk

Preston Garvey as Random Task is too good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If I get the Steam version of 76, will I be able to access my Game Pass character? Also, does anyone know whether it’s family shareable?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
On what MS platform did you play exactly? Apparently if it's console or xcloud streaming whatever that is, no.
From an installed PC version, maybe but you'll lose your Atoms and maybe other stuff it's not all too clear :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sauer kraut posted:

On what MS platform did you play exactly? Apparently if it's console or xcloud streaming whatever that is, no.
From an installed PC version, maybe but you'll lose your Atoms and maybe other stuff it's not all too clear :shrug:

PC.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Started playing 76 again after a 15 month break - switching to Xbox from my pc game so starting fresh game (because apparently I can’t port over) - any tips to speed through my levels?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Manwithastick posted:

Started playing 76 again after a 15 month break - switching to Xbox from my pc game so starting fresh game (because apparently I can’t port over) - any tips to speed through my levels?

Always be on a Casual team and make sure to hit all the big events. Usually at least one or two people will open Lunchboxes, they give you a bump to XP gain for an hour and up to 4 of them stack. And don't worry about dying or not being able to pull your weight in some of the events, it doesn't matter and no one really cares. Shoot the mobs, hide behind a big dude, whatever floats your boat. As the levels come in, so does your damage output. :)

Also, join us on the Discord, we'll help you getting started. ;)

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Manwithastick posted:

Last patch gave you the ability to make your new character level 20 straight out of the vault and start doing the Wastelanders/Brotherhood quests for some easy exp ASAP, while doing events on the side.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The last thing I did in 2023 was finally find a scavenger trader with a Hunter's Long Coat for sale. Happy New Year, Appalachia.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Congrats, still one of the best looking outfits in the game. :)

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

According to my app, 40% of players on Xbox haven’t got the “ reclamation day,”leaving the vault achievement - did 4 in 10 people start the game and really go “nah this isn’t for me” and quit?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Could also just be one of the many, many things that were bugged or broken during launch and the months that followed.

Reapermort
Feb 25, 2006

Sensenmann posted:

Always be on a Casual team and make sure to hit all the big events. Usually at least one or two people will open Lunchboxes, they give you a bump to XP gain for an hour and up to 4 of them stack. And don't worry about dying or not being able to pull your weight in some of the events, it doesn't matter and no one really cares. Shoot the mobs, hide behind a big dude, whatever floats your boat. As the levels come in, so does your damage output. :)

Also, join us on the Discord, we'll help you getting started. ;)
Brainbombs, cranberry relish, and berry mentats at the start of the event will add to your exp gains nicely as well.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I’m at level 56 now and wondering what are the best legend perks to invest in - I’m a shotgunner not stealthy if that helps

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Manwithastick posted:

I’m at level 56 now and wondering what are the best legend perks to invest in - I’m a shotgunner not stealthy if that helps

Absorption and Power Sprinter if you use power armor
Infiltrator is fantastic for everyone
Legendary Stats (not Charisma) probably Strength, Int and Luck but I'm not 100% about shotguns :)

What Rads? is convenient if you happen to play a full hp, no power armor build, if such a thing still exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

If I have the master infiltrator perk do I still need the lock pick and hacking cards?