Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

Theresa May as a sexy borg escapee?

The sexy borg escapee got Obama elected, don't give people ideas :ohdear:

e: Wolfenstein 3D came out in '92

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

can you really complete a degree and be called to bar by like age 20?

No you can't. (Granted this is going by the Irish Legal system, but I suspect that this is an area that we copied from the English system.)

Firstly, it's practically impossible.  By which I mean the method of being called to the Bar actual practical way in which you are called to the Bar cant be done before you are 21.

You see to be admitted to the King's Inns* Barrister At Law program you have a Law Degree from a relevant University (IE Trinity, UCD. I understand that you can get one from NUI Maynooth, but you couldn't when I was going there. Some Universities offer Law Degrees but aren't recognised by the King's Inns as a relevant University**. So if you got a Law Degree from NUI Sligo, tough luck pal.)

Basically, you do a Law Degree that is only two years long? The KI won't recognise it. The minimum length for a relevant Law University Degree that they will recognise is 3 years. Though they also recognise some that take 4 years to complete.

Now what happens if you have a Law Degree but not one they recognise or don't have a full Law Degree? You can do a Post Graduate course direct with the KI to get made eligible to he called to the Bar.

And that's only a 2 year course.

But it's only open to people with a University degree already or people over the age of 23 applying as Mature Students.

Anyway, going back to the relevant legal degree part. Say you are some wünder kidd who goes to Uni at 17 and passes everything in 3 years. You still don't get called to the Bar.

All you have done is been made eligible to sit the entrance exams to be allowed into the KI. These are 5 Exams held over one week once a year that you have to pass to be eligible to enter the Inns.

Now here's the rub. The Entrance Exams are held only once a year. And it happens in August. So if you have to do a repeat exam from your degree, you might not be ready in time to sit the Entrance Exams.

But say you pass the Entrance Exams. That means you are allowed to attend the 1 year full time, or 2 year part time Barrister At Law Degree course. The course starts in October so you won't be able to run it at the same time as your University Degree course is running. 

Pass this, and then meet all the "relevant requirements" and you'll be admitted to the Bar.

So essentially you have to pass a minimum of three years in University, a set of exams in August, another year in the Inns and 14 exams at the end of the Inns. That's 4 years just to do all that.

But suppose you went to University really early, you could do those 4 years and still be under 21?  Like it might happen.

Well remember how I said there are some "relevant requirements" to pass?

Yeah so it's stuff like "have passed all your exams" "maintained a 90% attendance rate at lectures" "gotten the signature of two existing Benchers to testify that you can be admitted" "attended at least 8 formal dinnings in the King's Inns during your time studying there."

Oh yeah and one of the requirements?  Be over the age of 21.

So you can't be called to the Bar and under 21.

(In fact on sworn legal documents (Affidavits) you are supposed to state that the lawyer swearing them is over the age of 21 as a procedural thing.)

Edit: While doing this effort post I researched what the exams are like for the Ki's these days. Bloody hell all the closed book sections are now done on computers. That would have been great for me back in 2012. I could always type faster than I could write.

* = Yes the Irish Legal System has a college named after the King, even after we left the Kingdom. No it won't change. Their motto is "We Will Not Change."

**= It's all to do with the syllabus of the legal course you do in University.  If it covers what the KI consider the lega basics (Crime, Tort, Contract, EU Law etc... it's a relevant degree. If it doesn't, you need to do a course to make up what you are lacking.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

domhal posted:

Presumably, what Moffat likes about the West Wing is how everyone is witty and Bartlett smacks down all comers with his towering rhetoric, especially slobs like Ritchie, and that the UK would be much better with people like that in Westminster and on Question Time.

While I do enjoy the West Wing as a TV drama, there is nothing aspirational about it and making it will affect nothing (unless it does casting like Star Trek: Voyager).
We are probably going to end up getting Zelenskyyed into the lead actor getting into politics and becoming PM.

Monkeys paw, Laurence Fox etc.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
By 2032, a 71 year old Hugh Grant will seize the Labour leadership, denying Jess Phillips her chance to be the first female elected Labour leader. He will seize the general election on the basis that the eldest generation liked him in Love Actually and vaguely associate his face with the good old days of the 90s.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's a lot of talk from the right wing media this morning about Kemi the bad Enoch being the best person to replace Rishi... lmao

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1741783711811543529

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

There's a lot of talk from the right wing media this morning about Kemi the bad Enoch being the best person to replace Rishi... lmao

I assume they're as horrified by the prospect as we all are? (Except because Badenoch is black, of course.)

Honestly, if I had commissioned a poll that came back saying more Tory voters wanted Badenoch than Sunak I'd be asking for my money back. These are the people who voted for a woman who defines "balanced politics" by drooling from both corners of her mouth rather than have an Indian in charge.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Apraxin posted:

lmao this loving guy

My favourite part is where he says our politicians are corrupt because we keep calling them corrupt like they're just misbehaving kids and if we treated them with respect they'd not be such obviously corrupt scum. Totally up his own arse and convinced writing shapes the world rather than being shaped by it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The West Wing is enjoyable TV but it's absolutely about Aaron Sorkin writing clever people delivering acerbic and witty put-downs to Republicans. Unfortunately as it comes from American liberalism it has few teeth, it points out hypocrisy on the part of the religious right for example, but we know drat well how effective that is at changing their ways.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Theresa May as a sexy borg escapee?

Dear Midjourney,

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The West Wing was a truly toxic TV show and totally discredits Moffats' argument that we need to treat politicians with reverence for them to behave decently, considering that The West Wing already exists and Democrats walked in lockstep with The Republicans on every major decision. A fantasy programme for Liberals to pretend the world is just, our rulers decent, smart people and that their endless compromise with the Right is necessary.

Also Sorkin is a self serious oval office with stupid little doll glasses. I can see why Moffat wants to be the British version of him.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Microplastics posted:

Dear Midjourney,

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao. I could hear your fingers typing the minute that post went up

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

A new year and an exciting new job for Tony as Head of Ethnic Cleansing

He's a good choice. He has lots of genocide experience and displays a natural immunity from being prosecuted for war crimes.

It also needs to be pointed out that it's been 25 hours since the last post in the I/P thread.
This is what happens when you have poo poo moderators making poo poo moderating decisions

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 1, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Totally up his own arse and convinced writing shapes the world rather than being shaped by it.
A few years ago I read something about how shows like Star Trek TOS captured the public imagination because they showed us a better future at a time when the world was poo poo / changing for a lot of people.

And then by the middle of TNGs run, the neoliberal chokehold was so complete that everyone just accepted that history had already ended, and the future was just what we have now with prosthetics and nicer carpets (excluding the first season, where Gene was still very much Still On His poo poo).

And now we circle back round to a lot of the same challenges they had in the sixties - changing human rights, staggering technological progress and conflict abroad - but instead of showing people a better world like TOS did, Trek goes down the Discovery and Picard route.

Fundamentally people do not believe that the future can be better any more, but the difference is that we don't have shows like TOS trying to show that the future could be better.

Nowhere is this psychological break more present than in Enterprise, where Archer literally turns into grimdark space Jack Bauer the second the aliens 9/11 florida and never questions that switch for one second.

The thematic tone of Star Trek has moved from a catalyst to a mirror of the zeitgeist in 20th century culture, and in this essay I will

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...medium=facebook

Imagine being paid a fortune to produce crap like this?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Where do DS9 and Strange New Worlds fit into this analysis

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

The West Wing is enjoyable TV but it's absolutely about Aaron Sorkin writing clever people delivering acerbic and witty put-downs to Republicans. Unfortunately as it comes from American liberalism it has few teeth, it points out hypocrisy on the part of the religious right for example, but we know drat well how effective that is at changing their ways.

I always wonder about that scene where Bartlett stomps in all 'in here we stand for the President' and owns them all with biblical truths, whether all the bible nutjobs were directed to look like they're just waiting patiently for this loser to say his piece and leave, or if it just looks that way in hindsight.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

I admire it in a way. Most people in this position would put some effort in and try to make things look like they're actual cartoonists before labeling a big bear as Brexit but this person doesn't even hide that they're talentless and just stealing a living. Wish it was me.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I hope the stats were analysed on a per capita basis, otherwise the champagne sales are just the expected result of a continued population increase.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

fuctifino posted:

being an overpaid poo poo cartoonist is genetic, it turns out.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

How do they know that if the House won't release the bottle sales data during Covid, or was that just the Commons.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Thatcher didn't murder a journalist, she's nothing good going for her thank you

I mean not personally (probably) but Martin O'Hagan's family might disagree.

Edit: wait that was 2001. Still wouldnt put it past her though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Chubby Henparty posted:

How do they know that if the House won't release the bottle sales data during Covid, or was that just the Commons.

Those aren't sales, those were the free stuff.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dabir posted:

DS9 is a call to find what little joy you can in the chaos, and demarcates the public's shaking confidence in the neoliberal consensus.

SNW is nostalgia for the forgotten optimism of TOS hidden in a darkened corner of a streaming service within a streaming service that nobody watches.

Voyager is thematically a mess and defies analysis.

Lower Decks is just post-war dadaism trying to sneak back in.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Dabir posted:

SNW simultaneously puts forward bubbly optimism about how progressive everything is while saying "some species are actually just evil and can't be negotiated with, so it's okay to kill them."

So idk, seems fairly contemporary to me.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also Sorkin is a self serious oval office with stupid little doll glasses. I can see why Moffat wants to be the British version of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsQO3dFiB8

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Disproportionation posted:

SNW simultaneously puts forward bubbly optimism about how progressive everything is while saying "some species are actually just evil and can't be negotiated with, so it's okay to kill them."

So idk, seems fairly contemporary to me.

I just like how they the Gorn of all their options from TOS, you know, the infamously bad rubber suit guy fight scene, into some kind of super serial murderer body horror guys. You'd think Kirk would have had more concerns meeting them like 5 years later.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

feedmegin posted:

I just like how they the Gorn of all their options from TOS, you know, the infamously bad rubber suit guy fight scene, into some kind of super serial murderer body horror guys. You'd think Kirk would have had more concerns meeting them like 5 years later.

I like to think that the aliens have different ethnicities like humans do, it could explain so much

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Dabir posted:

DS9 shifted for the most part away from exploration and the overall optimism of Star Trek by being set on a space station and, more significantly, by moving latterly through a multi-season war arc, finishing in 1999 (before US media went bananas). It is great, but it only borders Star Trek in the fundamental sense towards the end.

Voyager, which Ronald D. Moore had little to do with, was much more episodic and trekky in an exploratory sense, but not especially optimistic.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

fuctifino posted:

Nadine Dorries was on a radio show 3 months ago saying this would happen lmao.

Her conspiracy theory book was right.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
DS9 accurately predicted the future of humanity by showing us more about the Ferengi.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

feedmegin posted:

It's so bizarre, the Gorn episode is explicitly about how the Gorn are people even if they look (1960s) scary, and SNW just takes the completely opposite view entirely like it's a bad parody, and they do all that purely so they can run through the motions of doing the Aliens films, but worse.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Fundamentally people do not believe that the future can be better any more, but the difference is that we don't have shows like TOS trying to show that the future could be better.

Orville isn't just family man in space!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

I just like how they the Gorn of all their options from TOS, you know, the infamously bad rubber suit guy fight scene, into some kind of super serial murderer body horror guys.
They'll forget that in about a series time though. Like how the borg went from 'one drone touches you once and now your ship and crew are infested with nanites you can never get rid of' to Voyager's 'ehh it's fine, we'll just reverse the polarity on the gel packs and do some hyposprays after half the ship was taken over by a cubeful.'

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

lol

https://twitter.com/gavmacn/status/1741762134806004047?s=46

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1741487877396062607

i am begging the internet to learn how to crop a video. how does that even happen

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

My favourite part is where he says our politicians are corrupt because we keep calling them corrupt like they're just misbehaving kids and if we treated them with respect they'd not be such obviously corrupt scum. Totally up his own arse and convinced writing shapes the world rather than being shaped by it.

There is a one word response to this: Corbyn.

While it was closer than initially expected, people ultimately didn’t vote for him because of they did not think better things were possible. If he was not corrupt, it could only be because he was stupid, racist or a foreign agent.

Starmer has complete factional power in the Labour Party, and had a close up view of that process. All his staff numbers guys are telling him what he already knows; trying the same thing would fail in the same way. Any offering of hope would be rejected; his only chance is to slip into office without anyone noticing, or much caring

It very likely is impossible for Moffat, or anyone else, to write.a TV series that changes the culture that causes that to be the case. To pave the way for a Corbyn 2.0 in a way that Star Trek and the West Wing paved the way for Obama and his VP.

But he didn’t say it was possible; he said it was necessary. And on that he is very likely right.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Angepain posted:

i am begging the internet to learn how to crop a video. how does that even happen

Its hosed up on the embed but displays correctly if you click through. The answer as usual is 'elon musk fired everyone competent at twitter and replaced them with terrified sycophants'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Rappaport posted:

Orville isn't just family man in space!

I just finished watching that recently and it's offensive to me that Seth MacFarlane made a show so good.