Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yeah it rules! audiobook if you can is best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Hell I'll quote Mox himself:

I can't recommend the book highly enough, especially the audiobook which is read by Mox himself. The best wrestling book I've ever read.

how many other books take time out to talk about how Deftones' Around the Fur is a kickass album?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I can't recommend the book highly enough, especially the audiobook which is read by Mox himself. The best wrestling book I've ever read.

lol

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The audiobook is an 8-hour long Mox promo. The book itself is just a transcript.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

the image editing on that makes it look like he's got horizontal goat pupils. how are they so bad at promo shots lol

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

I've seen this dude warbling Christmas songs on TikTok

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

is he a white walker

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

black eyes. dead eyes. Like a dolls eyes

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Shard posted:

black eyes. dead eyes. Like a dolls eyes

He's home.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
https://twitter.com/SI_wrestling/status/1741671765305135159?s=20

lol

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
No Roman? This guy sounds like a AEWailure 😂😂😂

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Roman did not wrestle in 2023

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

a.lo posted:

Roman did not wrestle in 2023

He wrestled at least once by beating Cody in the funniest match of 2023. Whether he did anything the rest of the year I have no clue.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Dimebags Brain posted:

He wrestled at least once by beating Cody in the funniest match of 2023. Whether he did anything the rest of the year I have no clue.

To be fair it was worth it

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lol that Naitos on there and not the current long reigning champion

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What the gently caress did Naito do last year? There was the Ospreay G1 semifinal and what else?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

forkboy84 posted:

What the gently caress did Naito do last year? There was the Ospreay G1 semifinal and what else?
You're getting worked by the Sports Illustrated version of the PWI which is more embarrassing than just getting worked by the PWI because at least their editors watch wrestling

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tampa Bae posted:

You're getting worked by the Sports Illustrated version of the PWI which is more embarrassing than just getting worked by the PWI because at least their editors watch wrestling

So this is a kayfabe thing? Well that's also dumb but for different reasons

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I mean if I was an idiot making a list of the top wrestlers having seen nothing, looking up who won the G1 (with their last 3 matches all getting above 5 snowflakes) is the exact sort of thing I'd do to make my list look more "unbiased" and "wide-ranging" as i just listed a bunch of wwe and aew people who trended on twitter

If I can think of it, so can they!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

forkboy84 posted:

So this is a kayfabe thing? Well that's also dumb but for different reasons

Yeah, the PWI list is dumb for many reasons but this is worse. I can see kind of a logic in "OK so Vince says Roman is the biggest bestest boy and he won all his 6 matches this year so we better put him at number one". It's stupid and half-assed, but this is worse. This is them trying to put on a veneer of legitimacy by putting in "smark" choices and just turning out an unbelievably stupid list.

I still say that making a proper kayfabe ranking would be great. It would take a lot of work, but imagine someone going through wrestlers and cross referencing their career match results, weighing them by how "good" they each were at the time of the match, and creating a proper kayfabe list of who is the strongest wrestler in the world in any given year. Make it a real transitive property thing, like "The Undertaker beat Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania 89, giving him +8 ranking points, but Bastion Booker beat The Undertaker in 1996, giving him +5 ranking points".

poo poo, I wonder how difficult it would be to scrape match results from Cagematch. After that it would be pretty simple to make a Python thing that did the rest. I think I'm gonna seriously look into this.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've heard people compliment Dunn on some of the techniques he supposedly pioneered - stuff like making the wrestlers seem like larger-than-life comic book characters in the 80s, successfully capturing the chaos of the late 90s so that it seemed fresh and exciting, etc - though I'm not sure how much credit he himself deserves for any of that. I've never once heard anyone say anything nice about him as a person, bearing in mind that I've even read nice things about Vince on rare occasions. He just seems like the most miserable little toad.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Stone Cold has said many positive things about Dunn, but Steve is a top notch schmoozer who is not above kissing rear end and making himself like assholes for his career.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://x.com/ShawnSpears/status/1741841027067974062?s=20

👀

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Cody shared that SI list, which is how I came across it. Can’t begrudge anyone for sharing something that says they’re #1.

It’s just hilarious how there’s no internal logic to it whatsoever, even spanning 10 names. It’s not the most dominant champions. It’s not the people with the most top-rated matches. It’s people that are over but not necessarily the most over. Just a smattering of different criteria that add up to absolutely nothing.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, the PWI list is dumb for many reasons but this is worse. I can see kind of a logic in "OK so Vince says Roman is the biggest bestest boy and he won all his 6 matches this year so we better put him at number one". It's stupid and half-assed, but this is worse. This is them trying to put on a veneer of legitimacy by putting in "smark" choices and just turning out an unbelievably stupid list.

I still say that making a proper kayfabe ranking would be great. It would take a lot of work, but imagine someone going through wrestlers and cross referencing their career match results, weighing them by how "good" they each were at the time of the match, and creating a proper kayfabe list of who is the strongest wrestler in the world in any given year. Make it a real transitive property thing, like "The Undertaker beat Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania 89, giving him +8 ranking points, but Bastion Booker beat The Undertaker in 1996, giving him +5 ranking points".

poo poo, I wonder how difficult it would be to scrape match results from Cagematch. After that it would be pretty simple to make a Python thing that did the rest. I think I'm gonna seriously look into this.

Tired: AEW needs to bring back rankings
Wired: Wrestling needs to implement an ELO system

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Blasmeister posted:

The Rock and Roll Express already beat everyone to it back in the 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_PDy1DAT7I

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blasmeister posted:

Tired: AEW needs to bring back rankings

That is exactly what I'm doing. Not with any serious intent, but it's going to be fun to find out if you run the lifetime matchups for all the wrestlers on CageMatch, how do they shake out.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
aj lee is posting clips of her training with cm for a possible comeback

they should make the mixed gender tag division permanent, that was pretty fun and there are so many wife guys around now

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

DeepDickPizza posted:

Cody shared that SI list, which is how I came across it. Can’t begrudge anyone for sharing something that says they’re #1.

It’s just hilarious how there’s no internal logic to it whatsoever, even spanning 10 names. It’s not the most dominant champions. It’s not the people with the most top-rated matches. It’s people that are over but not necessarily the most over. Just a smattering of different criteria that add up to absolutely nothing.

https://www.si.com/fannation/wrestling/news/ranking-the-top-10-wrestlers-of-2023

I mean if you asked me to make a list of the top 10 wrestlers of 2023 my list would also be WWE centric and include the five listed here plus Dirty Dom, LA knight, MJF, Eddie Kingston , and Christian Cage

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

RealityWarCriminal posted:

aj lee is posting clips of her training with cm for a possible comeback

No she isn't, the last thing she has on her instagram and twitter is her showing off her ABS (respectfully:hai:)

If it's a clip of her spinning around Phil to end up in the black widow then that's an old clip of them training for the Starz Show Heels, which got cancelled.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, that is all clickbait off of her old training video from Heels

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think there was a clip of them training for his role on Heels

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Oh no the main family put a curse seal on Shawn, and now if he has any murderous thoughts he will be killed!

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I heard it’s actually just an old clip of Punk and AJ training for the show “Heelz”

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

X = 10 . goi ng back to fed

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

That DICK! posted:

X = 10 . goi ng back to fed

i was never good at math

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

the watermark says 123RF, maybe he's gonna be in a tag team with xpac managed by rob feinstein?

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah this book single handedly got me back into watching wrestling (AEW and WWE). Been trying to find other good wrestling books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
X like the button in the upper-right corner of my browser (which I press when I see Shawn Spears)