Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Actually while I'm spamming the thread with milk-bland takes on Dorf Romantik, I will say it would make an absolutely CRACKING solo game, which should come as no surprise given this:

Flytitle posted:

It might make more sense if you know that the video game came first (grad school project).

Oh no, a new page, needs more content!

Ok, so I'm playing Root tomorrow, very likely against Eyrie, woodland alliancd and Cats, anyone got any tips if I play moles? I really really struggle with them, if woodland alliance start by placing stuff on my base, I don't really see how you ever get going? Just ignore them and let them revolt on your initial hole?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I've gotten into solo games this year.

These two are dependent on you being into the subject matter:

Final Girl is great if you're a horror/slasher movie fan and you want a setup where you play cards and roll dice to create a slasher showdown story. It defaults to being pretty tough and can be pretty punishing because nearly every move and action is up to fate (a dice roll). I have two sets, Frightmare on Maple Lane and Happy Trails Horror which are basically Freddy and Jason. A cool thing is the killer/location can be swapped around in any combination. It's got a lot of cool thematic stuff that differs between sets. The Freddy set has a mechanic where you have to be asleep to fight him and there's basically a mandatory stealth sequence where you slide a card vertically or horizontally to reveal half of the card and hope that the killer isn't there. There's an Alien set where the "killer" evolves as the game progresses. It's cool if you're more interested in a game that tells a fun story than rewards skillful play.

Star Wars Outer Rim is pretty fun if you're a fan of the movies, books, etc. It has you flying a spaceship around the galaxy delivering cargo, finding bounties, buying new ships, and encountering characters from the Star Wars Universe. This game has a pretty big catch unfortunately. The expansion improves it substantially to the point that it should be fractured into the cost. In the base game the goal is just to achieve 10 fame (basically VP) and there are so many options on a turn that it can be hard to decide what to do. The expansion adds "ambitions" which direct your actions throughout the game. Instead of just 10 fame, you may be invested in beefing up your ship to take down a Star Destroyer for the Rebellion or tour the galaxy having encounters on planets along the way. It also improves the Solo AI decks from the base game to allow the AI to play a Bounty Hunter instead of only a Smuggler and gives each possible character a unique AI card that changes how they behave during the game.

I had a fun moment the last time I played where I had Lando in my crew and the bounty hunter AI IG-88 was chasing him down. Lando has a really handy ability to reroll dice so I didn't want him to lose Lando from my crew AND let the bounty hunter get fame and money in the process. It's a cool game but it takes a while to play and probably won't appeal to you unless you like Star Wars.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

!Klams posted:

Actually while I'm spamming the thread with milk-bland takes on Dorf Romantik, I will say it would make an absolutely CRACKING solo game, which should come as no surprise given this:

Oh no, a new page, needs more content!

Ok, so I'm playing Root tomorrow, very likely against Eyrie, woodland alliancd and Cats, anyone got any tips if I play moles? I really really struggle with them, if woodland alliance start by placing stuff on my base, I don't really see how you ever get going? Just ignore them and let them revolt on your initial hole?

Depending on the skill level of the other players it might not go so badly for you. But the sad fact of it is that if you're the moles you're kind of the resident table villain. You need to be policed early and often otherwise you will just snowball your way to victory.

But for tips in general, you want to sway the Brigadier and Mayor as fast as possible. They are the core of your action economy as moles and without them you will struggle to maintain your position on the board. After you get both of them you should take stock of the game state and see if you need to stay "smole" mole or "swole" mole and vary up your swaying from there.

With Smole mole, you generally build no/very few buildings and get all of your points off of Dutchess of Mud every turn combined with other players cardboard and continuing to sway Lords for extra points.

Swole Mole is the opposite strategy, where you sit a big pile of moles in 1 clearing (usually a 2 or 3 slot clearing) and pump out a ton of buildings with Foremole and scoring with Earl/Baron (you usually want Markets over Citadels since Markets are more card draw and too many Citadels means you run out of recruits real fast unless you're fighting a ton and getting lots of casualties.) every turn.

Either way you handle it, you'll want to eventually get the Banker as he's how you close out games by just dumping cards for points (Bankers card says "pair" of cards but you can do any amount as long as they are all the same suit.)

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
We played Stardew Valley again and I have to say that "reach the bottom of the mines" and "catch 4 legendary fish" are so much harder than the other goals that it's ridiculous. If you get both of those, you basically just need to get super lucky, I guess!

Anyway, the kids like it, which is what we hoped for.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Flame craft was an interesting game, but the decision space constricted towards the end… The best thing to do is get a lot of resources and then tournament into points, and some locations let you do that a lot better.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
If it’s already been mentioned then my apologies, I missed the post!

Dorfromantik is the board game of the solo video game on steam here https://store.steampowered.com/app/1455840/Dorfromantik/), so its roots are very much in the solo mode. It’s a nice cosy puzzler, especially on the Switch or Steam Deck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's getting a competitive version soon that's 1v1, or you can get two boxes and do 2v2.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

"Dorfromantik" translated literally means "village romanticism". More figuratively, it's nostalgia and longing for quiet, quaint village life.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
As one who is playing Dorfromantik solo, yes, it is an amazing solo game, especially if you like Beat Your Score type solos and tile laying games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
My games of 2023. Ignore that zero of these games game out in 2023. It's been one of those years.

Game of the Year:

Turing Machine: When this came around, I was mildly curious but forgot about it. Some time later my significant other noticed it and wanted to try it. We tried it competitive once, but we immediately gravitated towards it as a co-op, which is well integrated and not a bolt-on option. We love this game. We played at least twice daily for two solid months until life got a little busy. I talked about it at length so I won't repeat myself but it's a great puzzle and a hell of an accomplishment to do something so integrated with entirely cardboard* (you only get 20 puzzles in the box but can download a PDF with a zillion if you're always offline, and there are daily challenges too). A must for any math/logic/puzzle fan.

Runners up:

Exit: The Game – Dead Man on the Orient Express: The best Exit of the 8 I've played, and I've now played most of the highly ranked ones, so I feel confident none are going to top this one.

The Inititative: Narratively, it's an incredibly cute and sweet story with metatextual elements (which I am admittedly a sucker for). The puzzle of the game is a both incredibly simple yet way better than it needs to be. It is a little easy for adults, but I still really liked it.

Challengers!: Played exclusively on BGA, which I think is an appropriate place for it. It's swingy, but it gives you more control than you'd think. This is now my second most played game on BGA, even above Spots and 7 Wonders, so it's clearly got something. I think the sequel adding more combinations might be key to a longer lifespan, but that's not on BGA.

The Case of the Golden Idol: Hey, video games. It's Obra Dinn meets Mad Libs. It's short but great.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

The Shame Boy posted:

Depending on the skill level of the other players it might not go so badly for you. But the sad fact of it is that if you're the moles you're kind of the resident table villain. You need to be policed early and often otherwise you will just snowball your way to victory.

But for tips in general, you want to sway the Brigadier and Mayor as fast as possible. They are the core of your action economy as moles and without them you will struggle to maintain your position on the board. After you get both of them you should take stock of the game state and see if you need to stay "smole" mole or "swole" mole and vary up your swaying from there.

With Smole mole, you generally build no/very few buildings and get all of your points off of Dutchess of Mud every turn combined with other players cardboard and continuing to sway Lords for extra points.

Swole Mole is the opposite strategy, where you sit a big pile of moles in 1 clearing (usually a 2 or 3 slot clearing) and pump out a ton of buildings with Foremole and scoring with Earl/Baron (you usually want Markets over Citadels since Markets are more card draw and too many Citadels means you run out of recruits real fast unless you're fighting a ton and getting lots of casualties.) every turn.

Either way you handle it, you'll want to eventually get the Banker as he's how you close out games by just dumping cards for points (Bankers card says "pair" of cards but you can do any amount as long as they are all the same suit.)

This was all awesome, and gave me a solid plan to work to, thank you!

In the first game, it was the factions I expected, and woodland alliance won. From the first turn, all I was doing was giving cards to her to hit her sympathy tokens, which meant I could either sway or build, but never really both. I never managed to branch out, until very late on. By this time WA were out in the lead, so I sent 7 moles to one of her bases, but just rolled a zero every combat for the rest of the game until she won. I didn't ever really feel like I had any other options, every branch of my decisions involved giving WA the cards I needed. The Eyrie and Cats kind of just fought each other until about the time i struck out, but they too rolled a zero in every combat.WA player won every single combat, and never rolled a dice herself!

Second game she played Corvids, and did very well, but I went SWOLE MOLE and eventually just dropped a hand of mice on the banker to jump up the final 5. Hooray! Thanks!

I honestly don't think I'd play moles with WA in the game again. I just never felt like I was choosing what to do, but instead reacting every turn to them, as the repercussions for doing any thing else were too severe. I must have been doing something wrong though, because, at no point at all was I ever close to a big bad.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

The Inititative: Narratively, it's an incredibly cute and sweet story with metatextual elements (which I am admittedly a sucker for). The puzzle of the game is a both incredibly simple yet way better than it needs to be. It is a little easy for adults, but I still really liked it.

When I saw the susd review of this I thought "this is gonna be awesome with my kids in about a year."

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Magnetic North posted:

The Case of the Golden Idol: Hey, video games. It's Obra Dinn meets Mad Libs. It's short but great.

It's a great puzzle. They just announced a sequel!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I got through more of my Christmas games haul yesterday and played Furnace. Each round you bid on factories which generate resources and convert resources into other resources, including upgrades for your existing factory cards, and victory points (in the spirit of the era, the victory points are just just money). After each round of bidding you get to "run" your entire factory conglomorate once. It has an interesting mechanic where you get compensation resources for being outbid, which are often more useful than the actual factory cards themselves.

I actually played this a while ago, but I'd forgotten just how quick it could play. A great filler game when most of your games take 90+ minutes, I can see experienced players getting through a game of Furnace in well under 30.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
I love the auction mechanic in Furnace so much, it’s so simple and elegant! Such a great game packed in a relatively small box.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Played a game of Daybreak.

We lost. :smith:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
When people use box-size as a metric, I always think of Phil Ecklund, back when his production eccentricities drowned out his race science eccentricities.

He always forced his chunky games into tiny boxes by rinky-dink components, because he saw the lowest possible charge the German postal service offered and went hell for leather for that. I also don't think he's really into race science, but his cultural assessments reflect unconsidered assumptions of white supremacy. Plus he's a COVID crank.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Magnetic North posted:

Game of the Year:

Turing Machine: When this came around, I was mildly curious but forgot about it. Some time later my significant other noticed it and wanted to try it. We tried it competitive once, but we immediately gravitated towards it as a co-op, which is well integrated and not a bolt-on option. We love this game. We played at least twice daily for two solid months until life got a little busy. I talked about it at length so I won't repeat myself but it's a great puzzle and a hell of an accomplishment to do something so integrated with entirely cardboard* (you only get 20 puzzles in the box but can download a PDF with a zillion if you're always offline, and there are daily challenges too). A must for any math/logic/puzzle fan.
I tried this a few times on BoardGameArena (solo play) and think I must be missing something. The easy puzzles are too easy, but the harder ones don't logic out the way I think they should? I didn't feel like the rulebook explained things well enough, and this is coming from someone who plays a lot of puzzle games.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Got a 6 player Sidereal Confluence game in tonight. Kjas, Yengii, Imdril, Unity, Caylion, and En Et. Won’t say anything new about it but I will say it was fun as hell to play.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

SettingSun posted:

Got a 6 player Sidereal Confluence game in tonight. Kjas, Yengii, Imdril, Unity, Caylion, and En Et. Won’t say anything new about it but I will say it was fun as hell to play.

Did the Yengii player poo poo the bed? That’s definitely the riskiest race.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Played Brass last night such was good. We don't play it that often so did get a couple of minor things wrong, we have to play it again soon so we actually get the rules in our head.

The we tried Deadly Dowagers it's a little tempo drafting game. But the tempo is very obvious and if you fall off theres no coming back, you fail to bridge to the Earl the same turn as everyone else you're done. But it's pretty fast I guess.

Then it was Shenanigrams which initially seemed like it was going to be good but quickly devolved into a hellish 4x4 area of tiles where everything was being played. The winner just out lasting the other players on expanding the area out.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I tried this a few times on BoardGameArena (solo play) and think I must be missing something. The easy puzzles are too easy, but the harder ones don't logic out the way I think they should? I didn't feel like the rulebook explained things well enough, and this is coming from someone who plays a lot of puzzle games.

BGA is not the best place to play it, but it's fine enough. The rulebook is not terrific in squirreling out some of the weirder stuff. The Watch It Played video is a big help, but even that doesn't get real deep into the weeds. As for difficulty, easy is very easy, closer to a tutorial where everything should be doable in 6 questions. Normal is still pretty straightforward but with more interesting verifiers. Hard is where it gets complicated and is what we typically play. If you think that you simply had to make a guess, that is supposed to be impossible.

Lots of the more complicated 6 or 9 answer or "specific" verifiers have what they call "The X Paradox." Sometimes you get an X and mistakenly think that means some value is true or false instead of what it's actually saying: this verifier is either not testing this or it's testing it and it's not true. The example they give is: if you check 333 against verifier 33 which says "a specific color it knows is even or odd" and get an X, it does not mean that any specific value is not odd yet. It means it must be checking a color that is even, but no more. So part of the game at that level is making only the assumptions you can. We've gotten into the habit of referring to "what the verifier is testing/saying" to keep that in mind, rather than talking about the truth value of any test in isolation until we have run down multiple possibilities.

Speaking of even and odd, something that has helped me and my SO communicate during the game: referring to the parity of the number, which is apparently the term for evenness or oddness.

Once you're there, you can then use that confidence in your to find the unsaid assumptions, such as (minor Turing Machine logic spoiler if you want to figure it out yourself) if there is an exclusive inequality such as greatest there cannot be triples. These can occasionally help you beat the machine. For hard difficulty classic puzzles, the most commonly concept we try to remember is (another minor Turing Machine logic spoiler) every validator is going to tell you something, so sometimes you can eliminate possibilities because certain answers would obviate other anwers.

Anyway, if you like puzzle games, I hope you give it another try. And thanks for the link to that thread; I've already gotten a few recommendations out of it. (Yes, including a game about trains :sickos:)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Aramoro posted:

The we tried Deadly Dowagers it's a little tempo drafting game. But the tempo is very obvious and if you fall off theres no coming back, you fail to bridge to the Earl the same turn as everyone else you're done. But it's pretty fast I guess.
It does seem very tight when it comes to running your murder engine efficiently and quietly.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Aramoro posted:

Played Brass last night such was good. We don't play it that often so did get a couple of minor things wrong, we have to play it again soon so we actually get the rules in our head.

Which Brass? Neither has a particularly elegant rule-set.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

million dollar mack posted:

Did the Yengii player poo poo the bed? That’s definitely the riskiest race.

They actually won by significant margin (58, where I got second as the Imdril with 43). He ended up with a huge economy and a lot of tech researched which struck me as suspicious was I didn't want to spend a lot of time analyzing his board state so he can take this one. Also he refused to license Time Dilation to me which denied me a couple extra points from using it to upgrade Megastructures. :mad:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Which Brass? Neither has a particularly elegant rule-set.

Brass Birmingham, it's just keeping track of in your network, connected, doesn't need to be connected etc for Coal, Beer and Iron and how its different for building railways etc.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Magnetic North posted:

BGA is not the best place to play it, but it's fine enough. The rulebook is not terrific in squirreling out some of the weirder stuff. The Watch It Played video is a big help, but even that doesn't get real deep into the weeds. As for difficulty, easy is very easy, closer to a tutorial where everything should be doable in 6 questions. Normal is still pretty straightforward but with more interesting verifiers. Hard is where it gets complicated and is what we typically play. If you think that you simply had to make a guess, that is supposed to be impossible.

Here's an example of a verifier I don't know how to evaluate:

Do all three of the digits in my number have to pass to get a green check? Or if any of them matches the verifier target, will I get a green? It says "one specific colour", which is throwing me off.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Do all three of the digits in my number have to pass to get a green check? Or if any of them matches the verifier target, will I get a green? It says "one specific colour", which is throwing me off.

The verifier implements one of the 9 functions listed. All inputs will be evaluated against that single function.

For example, if we used the input of 555, and got a tick. Then we know the function must be in the bottom row (because none of the numbers were equal or less, so none of the functions which could have given a tick in those scenarios could be correct)

If we then followed that up with 355 and got a cross. The function must be the leftmost one of the bottom row (because two of the numbers were greater than 4, so it would have given a tick if that was the function being evaluated)

Pryce
May 21, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

This was the bit that took me the longest to wrap my head around; like the poster above me explained, the verifier is only verifying one specific conditional; these verifier cards show you all the possible options for what's it's verifying but before you can figure out the actual number, you need to deduce what it's actually verifying. It's not looking at all three numbers, it's only actually examining a single one of them (and you don't know which yet).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Pryce posted:

This was the bit that took me the longest to wrap my head around; like the poster above me explained, the verifier is only verifying one specific conditional; these verifier cards show you all the possible options for what's it's verifying but before you can figure out the actual number, you need to deduce what it's actually verifying. It's not looking at all three numbers, it's only actually examining a single one of them (and you don't know which yet).

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.

So if this verifier is true on yellow = 4 (for example), any code I send it where yellow isn't 4 will fail, correct? A verifier only looks for one condition?

I originally thought a verifier wanted an entire code to be "correct". For example, "only the number 345 will be correct for this verifier", and that's where I was getting hung up. In my example, 145, 444, and 242 (among others) would all pass the verifier. And only one code will satisfy all verifiers, but a given verifier doesn't necessarily care about the entire code.

Right? I think?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played some simple games for new years Eve celebrations, good time, mostly Insider Black and One Night Werewolf but also a game of Trapwords which was fun, but really highlights how you shouldn't put a couple on the same team unless the other team is also a couple.

Teammate: "Thing that...goes through air to-"
Me: "Arrow"
Other team: "Wtf"

Anyway starting to put away my new purchase of Furnace: Interbellum and it's annoying how the whole game and expansion fits inside the expansion box, except for the main rulebook which is the size of the needlessly-large main box. So I either don't have main rules in the box, or toss the main game's insert which is rather not do.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.

So if this verifier is true on yellow = 4 (for example), any code I send it where yellow isn't 4 will fail, correct? A verifier only looks for one condition?

I originally thought a verifier wanted an entire code to be "correct". For example, "only the number 345 will be correct for this verifier", and that's where I was getting hung up. In my example, 145, 444, and 242 (among others) would all pass the verifier. And only one code will satisfy all verifiers, but a given verifier doesn't necessarily care about the entire code.

Right? I think?

Yeah, I'm a bit late on this, but echoing what's already been said: the 'Specific Color it knows' ones are a bit of a mindfuck.

The verifiers do not know what the complete code is. In aggregate they know what the code is because only one code can pass all conditions, but an individual verifier can only say, "This passed my test" or "this does not pass my test OR you haven't given me what I want" (there are instances of 'invalid tests' but I can't think of any off the top of my head)

For your example: It is testing only one color, and one of those criteria. If it were testing yellow = 4 then all 25 codes with yellow = 4 will pass. The difficulty comes from unpicking that from the space. What is it telling you? If 444 passes, in isolation that tells you the verifier must be testing for =4 but it doesn't get you closer to knowing which it is testing.

To think of it the other way, and the way more likely to happen during play: If you put in 125 and get an X, you know that it cannot be testing that blue or yellow are less than 4, nor can it be testing that purple is greater than 4, but that's it. It could be testing any color, and any of those values could still be allowed (though not all three since something has to pass the test). For instance, purple could be greater than 4 so long as you can demonstrate the verifier is not testing for that. If you followed up with 143 and got a check, you know it cannot be testing Yellow because it cannot give you different responses if yellow is unchanged among your codes. You changed both Blue and Purple, so you know it's either testing Blue = 4 or Purple < 4.

I hope this helps. It's tough to pin down at first.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Blamestorm posted:

I have been really enjoying playing Armored Core VI with the kids, who are now crazy about mech battles. I can’t think of any decent mech board games though - Scythe has cool minis but it’s not really a mech game, GKR heavy hitters has ambivalent reviews and I’m not that interested in getting back into Battletech again.

Anything I’ve missed past few years that’s really good with a mech theme? Could be a card game, more euro flavoured thing, whatever.

It’s been a few years but I really liked AEGIS. It’s a combat arena game but I like the power ups and decisions for transforming your mechs. There’s a lot of customization via picking certain teams and their combo abilities so if you liked that about AC6 it’s a nice feature. Plays fast too. I recall around an hour per game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Robotech: Reconstruction is a recent anime COIN with a mecha flavour, though I'm not sure they make an appearance.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Chill la Chill posted:

It’s been a few years but I really liked AEGIS. It’s a combat arena game but I like the power ups and decisions for transforming your mechs. There’s a lot of customization via picking certain teams and their combo abilities so if you liked that about AC6 it’s a nice feature. Plays fast too. I recall around an hour per game.

Thanks for this, this was recommended up above too so I just backed Season 2 and got the first one as well - I'll see how it goes!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Got to play Santa Monica for the first time in person, instead online. Only won by one point because I forgot that sand dollars are VP.

Played Azul and didn’t do too great, managed to not get a single red tile during one round and had a huge gap in my fourth row.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I started getting into the hobby fairly shortly before the pandemic really hit, so most of my collection is soloable since it was hard to find in-person games in those days. That said, I've gotten a lot less played than I'd like, though I'm hoping to give everything I have a fair shot at least once sometime this year (then again, I say that every year, so who knows).

The main one I've been playing a lot recently is Bullet Heart, a puzzle game that plays somewhat like a shmup converted to a tabletop game. You have a bag of colored bullets which you place on your board in accordance with their number, a limited amount of action points with which to manipulate them, and a hand of Pattern cards that let you clear a few bullets off your board when you have a configuration of bullets that matches that pattern exactly. It's fairly quick and easy to set up, so it sees the table a lot more often than any of my more involved games.

There's two ways to play it solo: Score Attack mode, where you just draw an increasing number of bullets every round and see how many rounds you manage, and Boss Battle mode, where you play against one of the characters flipped over to their boss side, which gives you additional limitations on how you can manipulate your bullets and have Boss patterns that penalize you for not completing them which you need to keep in mind as well. My preferred style of play is 1v1 against a boss, though they scale up to four players. You can also play multiplayer, but I don't think it's as good at being a multiplayer game than it is a solo one because every character plays dramatically differently, with some being a lot harder than others to grasp mechanically, and unless you play with people already very familiar with the game most will flounder if given a random one they've never tried before.

Some others that saw play over the last year:

Spirit Island and Warp's Edge: Already covered by a few people here, think they've already sung their praises enough so I don't have much to add to that, I generally play Spirit Island on my tablet with the app nowadays though. Waiting for Jagged Earth to hit the app, apparently it's coming sometime later this year.

Sentinels of the Multiverse: Superhero card game, this thread tends to be pretty down on this one and for what it's worth I agree with a lot of those criticisms, but it's a personal favourite of mine nonetheless. I generally play on the app for this one, but recently I picked up a physical copy of the revamped Definitive Edition, which tightens up the game, makes it faster and fixes a lot of gameplay issues of the previous edition.

Marvel Champions: Other superhero card game, stopped collecting it some time back but figured I might as well get some use out of what I have. Never really cared for the half-and-half approach to deckbuilding it takes, I'd rather have fully customizable decks or entirely unique hero decks like how Sentinels does it. Having to manage Threat as well as damaging the villain does add a little bit to the gameplay though.

Deep Space D6: Die placement game, take out an ever-increasing list of enemy ships and mechanical problems with a set of six dice. I play this on my phone during my commute, decent time-waster but a little bit simplistic.

Arkham Horror LCG: Still one of my favourite games, though nowadays I spend more time thinking and theorizing about decks than actually playing them. Largely play on TTS even though I have the physical collection because of the ease of setting up/tearing down campaigns.

Eleven: Football manager worker placement euro, has an extensive list of solo scenarios in the base box and a solo campaign expansion. Main thing that bogs down this one is the resolution of the actual football matches is a little clunky and bogs the game down, it would flow better if I had a spreadsheet to automate it I think.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Inadequately posted:

Arkham Horror LCG: Still one of my favourite games, though nowadays I spend more time thinking and theorizing about decks than actually playing them. Largely play on TTS even though I have the physical collection because of the ease of setting up/tearing down campaigns.

I spent more time thinking about it than playing too, yeah. Especially as I've done all the campaigns multiple times and played almost every investigator that interests me. I played one campaign on TTS and would never do it again solo, the eye strain was killing me. I play board games to get away from the screen.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s almost impossible not to spend more time thinking about it than playing, if you’re of the deckbuilding mindset anyways, because there are way more options for character construction than you could ever feasibly play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Aramoro posted:

Brass Birmingham, it's just keeping track of in your network, connected, doesn't need to be connected etc for Coal, Beer and Iron and how its different for building railways etc.

I replayed Brass for the first time in like 5 years and immediately remembered why I (mostly) love it. Every turn felt like agony because the decisions were almost always difficult. You always want to do one more thing, the cards are never right, and holy poo poo did your opponent really just do that now I'm in trouble...I am also not very good at it. I just think the set up for it is such a pain. Need to find an organiser solution.

Also, I cannot recommend this enough to the thread, but Chinatown is becoming potentially one of my go-to games when sitting down with Game Adverse Groups (GAGs, if you will). I tricked both my in-laws and later, on New Years, two other couples into playing the game after promising them it's simple I swear, and it was a hit. I sat out the second time because of player count issues but in both cases by the time the second round rolled by people were getting it and the hustle and bustle started.

Two people asked me where they could buy a copy when we finished. A+

Low rules overhead + high player interaction = $fun$$