Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Don't underestimate how narcissistic and also incredibly stupid some of these people are.

I'm sure some of them are secretly doing all this to prepare for their dome and cave future here on Earth, but idiots like Musk almost certainly genuinely believe that they're going to live like kings on another planet. They don't care (or don't think they care) about the difficulties because everyone else is going to do the hard work and they'll just get to administer their little dream society. From their perspective, they won't feel any hardships unless the whole thing collapses, and they're all too high on their own supply to believe that a society they've wholly designed, built, and run could ever collapse.

imo thinking that this is all a smokescreen falls into the trap of believing that the wealthy are in any way exceptional aside from their wealth. They're dumb, and when you're dumb and have infinite wealth you can find some incredibly novel ways to be suicidally stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Even if we render earth completely uninhabitable to human life destroying the ecosphere and removing something crucial like oxygen entirely, it's still a more plausible place to live than Mars

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I don't think they even believe it or at least it doesn't really matter if they believe. It's just ego hype. They don't give a poo poo about actually living on Mars. They care about being known as the guy who is totally going to live on Mars and sometimes they like to think about all the cool hosed up stuff they would do to their Mars slaves. It's the rich guy equivalent of a little kid having a fit and wishing their real family would come pick them up and love them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yes, but that's missing the point by a mile. These people think they're going to leave long before anything like that happens. It's not about having an ark; it's about throwing a tantrum because being richer than god still isn't enough for the US government to let you run a little libertarian fiefdom on an island somewhere. It doesn't matter that it's not possible.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Man... how the gently caress do you fully remove o2. That's a deep core fuckup

Wouldn't that kill basically all multicellular life

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The only one that I could find via quick search that is publicly talking about sending even private probes to Mars is space x, everything else seems like a scam or focused on making money / near earth. At one point I think there was some contest to design a private moon probe?

Really seems like the sort of thing that requires state backing to literally get anywhere tbh. If you don't have the infrastructure of a big enough state I think you might be stranded on this one

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Man... how the gently caress do you fully remove o2. That's a deep core fuckup

Wouldn't that kill basically all multicellular life

It's not really especially plausible, even with full forever growth, but the collapse of plant life entirely due to something like the end of cloud formation, and some insane eutrophication of the seas could plausibly drop atmospheric oxygen a percentage or two, which humans probably couldn't cope with biomechanically.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
But even if you did manage that gently caress up, like I said, Mars is worse.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The only one that I could find via quick search that is publicly talking about sending even private probes to Mars is space x, everything else seems like a scam or focused on making money / near earth. At one point I think there was some contest to design a private moon probe?

Really seems like the sort of thing that requires state backing to literally get anywhere tbh. If you don't have the infrastructure of a big enough state I think you might be stranded on this one

lotta haters that don't like that im running my moon probe project like a "draw your own robot master for megaman to fight" contest

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Years ago there was the X Prize which for a while I assumed SpaceX was a part of since competitive space exploration is so stupid as a concept. Wouldn't it be better use of resources etc. to pool expertise and collaborate to explore space??

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I mean fie on me for taking him at face value but Elon has jibber-jabbered plenty of times about it being about making humanity a multiplanetary species to avoid existential threats like Giant Meteor or Gamma Ray Burst. He wants to live forever as the man who saved the species. Simplest answer to me seems to be massive ego + being a sci-fi nerd that dropped out of being a real scientist because it was too hard.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
goon project: we're going to privately probe uranus by 2030
goon result: 99% of all life on earth is extinct because everyone forgot to check if cyanuric chromal hydrazine mercurate could be a toxic propellant & the epa literally never spent even 20 seconds paying attention

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

goon project: we're going to privately probe uranus by 2030
goon result: 99% of all life on earth is extinct because everyone forgot to check if cyanuric chromal hydrazine mercurate could be a toxic propellant & the epa literally never spent even 20 seconds paying attention

success!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i had 150mm of rain overnight. shits hosed, it’s not stopping :sigh:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
It was frosty this morning, the climate has healed

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jetz0r posted:

success!

Good to see we're right on track!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm stacking firewood and thinking about skiing soon in weirdly normal Jan weather after a month of nothing but.

I had the thought "we're going to still see Ski Magazine Corp publishing articles about how we're in a 'temporary multiyear El Nino' while at the same time already witnessing massive climate migration in the US, aren't we?"

The :crackping: was realizing actually that's already happening and so I poured another beer

If I die from inebriated firewood loading efforts, p sure my last thought will be a lol lmao about how well insured I am at present through no real action of my own

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/minnesota-record-warm-snowless-winter-disrupts-life-2a5f2663

quote:

Minnesota Nice Wants Minnesota Ice: Locals Crave Bone-Chilling Normal
‘Maybe we’ll get lucky and have a polar vortex.’ Unusually mild weather has shaken up seasonal routines, though golfing in winter isn’t bad.

There was thin or no ice on many Minnesota lakes in December, and the state’s average temperature for the month appears to be the warmest on record. One can hope this all turns around soon.

Now, relatively balmy temperatures and scarce snow have upended life as Minnesotans know it, disrupting routines, canceling wintry events and leaving many anxiously hoping for a return to bone-chilling normal.

“Pray for cold weather so we can go fishing!” wrote Garrison Sports Bait & Tackle in a post on its Facebook page.

As of Saturday morning, Schmaltz could see open water. Her family’s portable ice house remains folded in their backyard, and everybody she knows is itching to get out ice fishing. “People are bored.”

The unusual season is, in part, because air currents that deliver freezing temperatures to the state have shifted north this year with the El Niño weather system, a natural warming condition in the Pacific Ocean. Climate change has also contributed, says Pete Boulay, a climatologist with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

Let’s face it, warmer temperatures bring benefits. Mark McCabe, parks and recreation director for Ramsey County, says he isn’t missing “the frozen lips and eyelashes as you’re clearing snow off your driveway and it’s blowing back on your face.”

December rains helped relieve the state’s drought, a potential boon for farmers this coming year, says Dave Nicolai, a field-crop educator with the University of Minnesota Extension.

Greg McKush, owner of Montgomery National Golf Club, kept his course open through New Year’s Day, so golfers can boast they played in Minnesota in January. (Another plus: shallow water hazards can freeze overnight, keeping balls in play).

McKush says the extended season will help finance planned investments.

“As much as I like winter and white,” he adds, “green is good right now for me. I mean in the dollar form.”

One of the coldest places not having winter any more is good actually. good for money.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lmao at "maybe we'll get lucky and have a polar vortex" :shrug:

It's hard to hold a candle in the warm December rain

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ending the article with a quote from a golf course owner about how good the money is :discourse:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the forsythia is blooming in january again but since it now has done it multiple years in a row without dying i gotta assume its nbd

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

once you've climbed out of the gravity well, why would you want to find another gravity well to hop into?

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/PlanktonPundit/status/1741846575947645360

Starting off 2024 with micro-organisms tangled in our microplastics.

Price we gotta pay for those fabulous polyester tracksuits.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
One can hope this all turns around soon.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

plastics make it possible

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Every time I think of plastics pervading everything these days I always think of how we are all inexorably becoming a Body Worlds exhibit.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
That still messes me up even after a few years of knowing about it, gently caress

we're the worst thing that's ever happened to the living world and some people think that it's ok and only human lives and perspectives are meaningful

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

Jizzny Princess posted:

wishing I could be a ghost watching the alien that discovers earth long after we're all dead, notices a bunch of plastic in every trace of soil and water, and goes "lmao what the gently caress is that"
The scale of how widespread plastic contamination became is astonishing

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Jizzny Princess posted:

lmao

:smith:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I went for a run in shorts today. Usually it's -30C here

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
and here I thought "reality is plastic" was just an acid metaphor

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

memory is plastic too :unsmigghh:

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Tay Zonday should release a Plastic Rain update.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rip Testes posted:

Tay Zonday should release a Plastic Rain update.

idk why they made fun of him. he was right.

quote:

Chocolate Rain
Dirty secrets of economy
Chocolate Rain
Turns that body into GDP
Chocolate Rain
The Bell Curve blames the baby's DNA
Chocolate Rain
But test scores are how much the parents make
Chocolate Rain
Flipping cars in France the other night
Chocolate Rain
Cleans the sewers out beneath Mumbai
Chocolate Rain
'Cross the world and back its all the same
Chocolate Rain
Angels cry and shake their heads in shame
Chocolate Rain
Lifts the ark of paradise in sin
Chocolate Rain
Which part do you think you're living in?
Chocolate Rain
More than marching, more than passing law
Chocolate Rain
Remake how we got to where we are

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Jizzny Princess posted:

don't worry, some plucky enterprising young microbe will figure out a way to digest plastic to gain a caloric advantage and we'll all be saved

of course that'll mean all plastic will start rotting

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hasn't this already started? Or at least some bug or insect eats it like a dumb fucker even if its gut biota can't handle it

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea but don't they break it down into nano-plastic which is worse, lol.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Professor Beetus posted:

the only way mars would be worthwhile for human habitation would be if magic sci-fi terraforming were possible.

we’re terraforming earth right now

quote:

of course, if something like that were real, humans would do in the dumbest and most hosed up way and probably speedrun the destruction of that biosphere too

yeah…

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Jizzny Princess posted:

not saying we shouldn’t reduce our plastic usage (we won’t) but the pervasive level of plastics in every place we look makes me feel it’s already too late here. how do you clean this poo poo up? it’s in the loving plankton. it’s floating in the clouds and in the loving rain. its in our blood, in our children. they’ve been finding it in every placenta they’ve tested

https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2023/11/29/rise-of-microplastics-in-placentas/

“University of Hawaii“ posted:

The researchers collected and studied 10 placentas in 2006, 2013 and 2021 and found the presence of microplastics grew each year.

- In 2006, 6 of the 10 placentas contained microplastics.
- In 2013, microplastics were found in 9 of the 10 placentas.
- In 2021, researchers found microplastics in all 10 placentas.

lol, lmao

mags has issued a correction as of 14:08 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

mags posted:

we’re terraforming earth right now

yeah…

Terrorforming the planet in his likeness