Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
does it work with teb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Anno posted:

idk it just popped up in the screenshot channel of the mod Discord. Sounded like something either currently unreleased or maybe only released in Chinese and is being translated.

Also has these elemental bear variants I guess?

Please don't call my posting random

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3048714772

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Just started a Karl Franz campaign in the old world after a Rakarth one that went bad somehow and started CTD every save load randomly (I just crashed while doing random busywork on the campaign map and the saves from 4-30 minutes previous also are now all crashing lol). It's been quite interesting compared to IE start. On one hand it seems a lot easier because your elector counts all have more territory so they're not getting wiped and killing your authority by turn 5. Actually I got to turn 23 before stopping and didn't have a single loss of Authority yet with VH campaign difficulty. On the other, confederations seem a lot less useful early on because the enormous distances involved and lack of funds means you probably can't defend them particularly well.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

what hath chaosrobie wrought.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I want the map to be so big that my computer chugs through every end turn

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Door Frame posted:

I want the map to be so big that my computer chugs through every end turn

Ah, the halcyon days of 2018 mortal empires

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Same -- for me the appeal isn't just an insane number of provinces and factions, it's the focus on my favorite part of the WH world and I hope he doesn't succumb to feature creep. Wouldn't mind separate mods that give the TOW treatment to other parts of the world though. A giant-sized Ulthuan and Naggaroth map could be pretty cool, for example.

e: here are all the new startpos

Skrag? Buddy? What the gently caress are you doing

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Tankbuster posted:

does it work with teb?

Technically but only technically. There's a single "playable" TEB faction, Tilea, but it doesn't correctly spawn its Legendary Lord, and it doesn't have its faction-specific technologies.

On the upside every Southern realms minor faction does actually function, and you can get access to their roster through allying with them still.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not sure I understand the objective of the Old World mod besides having a different map to play the most recent version of the game on.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not sure I understand the objective of the Old World mod besides having a different map to play the most recent version of the game on.

sounds like you understand just fine

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Shouldn't they wait for Creative Assembly to approve of it and release their official version first? This players-first initiative sounds like trouble.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

CA tried this in game one.

It was bad. But not because the idea was bad. CAs implantation and cost for it was bad.

The wood elf forest centric campaign map was neat. Except that enemies would appear from off map non stop and you couldn't stop them. The unit variety was pretty awful as well since this was game one.

They also did it for beastmen in the empire. Same issues.

But with lots of factions, it works.

And no one wants to go to the thunder dome in south america anyways.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

lizard enjoyers are not real

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

UP AND ADAM posted:

Shouldn't they wait for Creative Assembly to approve of it and release their official version first? This players-first initiative sounds like trouble.

lol

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Having dark elves spawn in from off-map sounds like exactly how they should be handled in the Old World mod, or at least have a base listed as a "staging area" at the very edge of the map.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That is how they work in old world.

In the CA version though, every 5-10 turns a new army would spawn and go straight for your territory. You could never get rid of them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ninjahedgehog posted:

Same -- for me the appeal isn't just an insane number of provinces and factions, it's the focus on my favorite part of the WH world and I hope he doesn't succumb to feature creep. Wouldn't mind separate mods that give the TOW treatment to other parts of the world though. A giant-sized Ulthuan and Naggaroth map could be pretty cool, for example.

Oh yeah, the Vortex map was quite fun in WH2, it was just the vortex race itself that sucked. I wouldn't mind some other maps once the dev is satisfied with the Old World map.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

super huge elf doughnut map

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
An even larger map please, oh and more lizards as well!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
100-LL 800-settlement Lustrian Thunderdome

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Skrag? Buddy? What the gently caress are you doing

He's on a pilgrimage to see the other end of The Great Maw

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

The Door Frame posted:

He's on a pilgrimage to see the other end of The Great Maw

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

one of the last bits of lore they added before the End Times was Thorgrim Grudgebearer doing something unprecedented and absolutely terrifying. him and Karl Franz were discussing matters of state. things got heated. and Karl Franz said something that was worthy of Grudge, in the presence of all the high witnesses of the Holds. and Thorgrim pretended not to have heard it, for the sake of pursuing their higher goals.

this served to immediately refocus every Dwarf lord from wanting to kill Karl Franz to wanting, instead, to kill Thorgrim.

yeah that's fun stuff! there's also the one gotrek book where he, ungrim, and garagrim (ungrim's son) are basically scheming and plotting against each other to claim their glorious death against some khornate lord. not a single one of them succeeds in this objective

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Oh yeah, the Vortex map was quite fun in WH2, it was just the vortex race itself that sucked. I wouldn't mind some other maps once the dev is satisfied with the Old World map.

Thorek's campaign in Vortex is one of my fave campaigns. One thing I find kinda awkward with his design is that his jungle climate affinity makes more sense in that one since the entire campaign will be in jungle and mountain mainly. In ME the only jungle is in the south, contains a single doodad and held by a decent ally while many of the doodads require moving through desert and badlands climates. It's really obvious that his latter placement is an afterthought and he really should get desert climate instead to better support his push towards the rest of the doodads.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Old World mod is really, really good and excellent but it also takes like 4x as long in most cases. Like to take the Reikland it would take maybe 3-5 turns in a normal IE campaign. In The Old World it takes like 15.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

toasterwarrior posted:

yeah that's fun stuff! there's also the one gotrek book where he, ungrim, and garagrim (ungrim's son) are basically scheming and plotting against each other to claim their glorious death against some khornate lord. not a single one of them succeeds in this objective

One of the fun bits of Storm of Chaos was Ungrim being cleared of the clan’s ancestral slayer oath by Garagrim dying, only to immediately swear a new slayer oath to avenge him. Peak dorf.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You Dwarfs sure are a contentious people.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mordja posted:

You Dwarfs sure are a contentious people.

*nods while stroking beard, then begins to write a new entry in The Book*

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
lol that Settra starts in Norsca in the Old World mod

I mean gently caress it why not thats hilarious

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

jokes posted:

The Old World mod is really, really good and excellent but it also takes like 4x as long in most cases. Like to take the Reikland it would take maybe 3-5 turns in a normal IE campaign. In The Old World it takes like 15.

You say that like it's a problem. I was so tired of factions with diplomacy bonuses never being able to use them because of how quickly their campaigns put them right next to the enemies you could have theoretically befriended if you didn't have to start so close

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's a problem if you like to have everything wrapped up by turn 100, but honestly TWWH3 is kinda boring if you're always winning. Even at a good pace, I was only able to get like Middenland and Talabecland under secure control by turn 100, so I'd probably be hosed if end-game poo poo starts around then -- which is also a good thing, it's a lot better than being unassailable by turn 80 or whatever like normal and having zero incentive to fight battles manually.

In the Old World mod you're usually understrength against whatever enemy you're fighting and you have serious conflicts against Skaven, beastmen, greenskins, Empire, and Chaos by turn 50. It's great!

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 2, 2024

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Beans posted:

lol that Settra starts in Norsca in the Old World mod

I mean gently caress it why not thats hilarious

That’s from a lore tidbit where some raiders stole one of his trinkets so he warred all the way from Khemri to Sweden to get his poo poo back

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I really need to try the Old World mod.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
does the old world mod make the settlements farther apart? in WH its like non stop settlement battles since armies can jump the entire distance between so easily

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Some of them are a bit farther than you'd think but generally it's about the same density as vanilla.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The actual Old World tabletop game is looking pretty good, ol' gee dub seem to have put a lot of effort into it (even if a lot of it is rereleasing old models on bigger bases for a vast markup). They'll be missing a trick if they don't tie it into TWH3 on launch, even if it's just giving out some Bretonnnian foot knights and a bone dragon daddy for download.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Is this a Chaos in the Old World rerelease or something new?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's them going "why should we keep the old world setting dead when people will pay us $100 for 30 year old model casts to continue playing games in the setting".

(It's effectively a Warhammer Fantasy Battles revival.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It seems to have blocks of models, im interested in a modern flank and spank game

Current 40k rules are pretty good but aos sucks so it could go either way