Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dieting Hippo posted:

That and Phendrana Drifts are perfect walk-and-chill music.
Phendrana Drifts was on my Winter VG walking mix for 2020. The remix of it from Prime 3 is on there this year.

It's not as good, but I'm trying to wring every neurotransmitter out of that song that I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m back on a Metroid kick, not doing them in timeline order though.

I just cleared Metroid Fusion for the first time in over a decade, despite being pretty linear there were a few bits that felt unintuitive (fighting the gold Space Pirate looking things that you have to shoot in the back with a charged shot), and some of the bosses felt cheap (gently caress that boss with the 3 plants on the bottom that can just suck you in and do constant damage).

Final result: 14:15 (which feels really, really high), 54% items (which feels kinda low).

Now I’m trying my hand at Metroid II on the Gameboy - emulated via Nintendo 3DS, although I do own an OG grey brick Game Boy and a Metroid II cartridge. I’ve had this game since I was a kid but never got very far in it, I think a big part of that was after playing a bazillion hours in Super Mario Land I just couldn’t wrap my head around having to explore in all directions and sometimes backtrack. With a few Metroidvanias under my belt now, I think I’ll do better this time around.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Metroid 2 was my first Metroid game and I'll always love it but it's really hard to play without a map. Or any of the other features Metroid added over time but the map thing hurts the most.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Metroid 2 owns. The remakes are too fancy; gimme that cramped, lonely vibe with creepy ambience occasionally interrupted by the upbeat main hallway theme. Repeat until THE BABY and thumbs-down and Adam ruins everything.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Great Beer posted:

Metroid 2 was my first Metroid game and I'll always love it but it's really hard to play without a map.

Same. I somehow had a copy and brute-forced/dumb-lucked my way through it when I was like 9. The music in the Queen’s area (before the actual fight) is burned into my brain.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Metroid 2 OG is the only version I've played, and while I'm sure the remakes are good, I'm a little disappointed when people advise skipping the original entirely for them because it's great and has a neat style and atmosphere, especially considering the limitations of the Gameboy. And that's not even nostalgia, I played it for the first time two years ago.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lord Hydronium posted:

Metroid 2 OG is the only version I've played, and while I'm sure the remakes are good, I'm a little disappointed when people advise skipping the original entirely for them because it's great and has a neat style and atmosphere, especially considering the limitations of the Gameboy. And that's not even nostalgia, I played it for the first time two years ago.

Personally speaking, I just have little patience for "jank" in videogames, especially when I know that I can play a better version that removes said jank. I'll always play Zero Mission/AM2R over Nestroid/M2. Hell, I want a remake of Super in Dread's engine.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Samus Returns is maybe the least quiet or atmospheric Metroid game which is a big issue when it’s a remake of the most quiet and atmospheric Metroid game

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Augus posted:

Samus Returns is maybe the least quiet or atmospheric Metroid game which is a big issue when it’s a remake of the most quiet and atmospheric Metroid game

:emptyquote:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Metroid 2 kicks rear end

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

yeah i played it for the first time earlier this very year and has a great time with it. it's really impressive how they made the game feel a lot bigger than it actually was

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When I replayed almost all of the Metroid games in the lead up to Dread my heart strongly wanted to put GB II over the GBA games though that might have been more a factor of being surprisingly cool on the GBA games upon revisiting them (and somehow stumbling into my first best ending time in a Metroid game without even really trying in GB II which was a nice cherry on top after all was said and done).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

TaurusOxford posted:

Personally speaking, I just have little patience for "jank" in videogames, especially when I know that I can play a better version that removes said jank.
Metroid II doesn't really have jank though, not in the way OG Metroid does. It has an effortless save system and controls quite well. The only real issues with it is that a lot of areas have a very similar look due to limitations of the platform, and there's no map.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Augus posted:

Samus Returns is the second-worst Metroid game, for my money. I've beaten it twice. Even with cheats that second time it was a horrible loving slog that woefully misunderstands what made the original great and they ruined the upbeat main corridor theme.

Nate RFB posted:

GB II over the GBA games t
What's GB II?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

What's GB II?
Think they're just qualifying the version, the Game Boy title "Metroid II: Return of Samus" as opposed to AM2R or Samus Returns.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Metroid II doesn't really have jank though, not in the way OG Metroid does. It has an effortless save system and controls quite well. The only real issues with it is that a lot of areas have a very similar look due to limitations of the platform, and there's no map.

Yeah, just give it a map, and it holds up pretty well. Even the graphics look pretty good by Game Boy standards.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hogama posted:

Think they're just qualifying the version, the Game Boy title "Metroid II: Return of Samus" as opposed to AM2R or Samus Returns.
Oh, right on. Thank you.

My brain couldn't hear anything but Ghostbusters 2.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, just give it a map, and it holds up pretty well. Even the graphics look pretty good by Game Boy standards.
The wide linear structure means that even a map isn't strictly necessary. I think I looked up one only a couple of times when I couldn't find the next upgrade, and even that was more out of laziness than true necessity.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lord Hydronium posted:

The wide linear structure means that even a map isn't strictly necessary. I think I looked up one only a couple of times when I couldn't find the next upgrade, and even that was more out of laziness than true necessity.
That might be true for you, but we're all like, not you and stuff. I get lost easily.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Trying to figure out which branch of a metroid nest you haven't cleared out yet gets to be a real headache sometimes, the standard Metroid map would be a massive QoL improvement.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Super agree. Often, GB titles felt like scaled-down version of NES titles. Castlevania: The Adventure is a good example; it feels like a demake that ticks enough series staple boxes that it technically can be called a portable Castlevania game. Metroid II, though, was a legit sequel that iterated on Metroid and set the foundation for Super. That they accomplished that on monochrome potato hardware is impressive as hell.

That said, I do suggest playing it on GBC or GBA, as the little splashes of Super Game Boy color can help important sprites stand out, but it's subtle enough that the game still feels appropriately dark and lonely.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Metroid 2 is more like Link's Awakening in that it is just a very good GB game that doesn't have to hide from the main series titles.

Castlevania The Adventure otoh has a phenomenal first stage track and otherwise nothing redeeming about it. I let's played it out of spite because I have a morbid fascination with awful games. Move faster Christopher

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m a little buzzed so this might be rambling, but I’m a ways into area 3 in Metroid 2, I switched over to playing it on the Switch with the Gameboy Color pallete instead of playing it in monochrome on the 3DS, it also gives me 4 save states instead of just 1 so if I gently caress up real bad I can roll it back into an earlier state instead of just being screwed.

I agree that a map would be awesome, but I get that it would be unfeasible given the GB hardware. I’m mostly doing okay, but I got lost on the transition from area 2 to 3, and the YouTube guide included a big shortcut to area 3 so once I used that and said “okay I’m good, let’s go exploring” I promptly got lost and now the guide can’t help me because I deviated from the very specific path it was following. I did manage to accidentally backtrack all the way back to my ship; it should have been a signal that I was going the wrong way when I was essentially climbing up the whole way. I did stumble across the varia suit though, but I’m not sure what it does for me.

I think I have 32 metroids left or something like that. The hunt continues.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Metroid 2's map is designed in a way that, if you understand how it works and what it's trying to do, you don't need to hold the whole map in your mind at once as you explore. It reward thinking about the structure of the game, because once you figure out the structure you never get lost again. In spoiler tags because I thought it was a lot of fun to figure out myself:

The region where the heroic music plays is the "spine" of the planet; it connects each area to the next. There is never any need to go here while hunting metroids. It's just the highway between zones.

Each area has a big cave with chozo ruins in the middle. This helps reorient yourself because there's only ever one big room per area; if you ever get lost, you can just wander around a bit till you find it and you're re-centered.

Treating the big cave as a central point makes it easier to be systematic, as well. If you go into the ruins, you find powerups; if you go out from the ruins, you find metroids, in the caves. There's a few exceptions, to keep things fresh. But it's safe to think of the cave as a hub, with caves radiating outwards and ruins rooms going inwards. If you cycle around the outer and inner edges, you'll find every path.

Those paths are sometime a bit confusing, but they're never large. Worse comes to worst, they're small enough you can hold the whole thing in your head. And then, once you explore it, you can forget it forever.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Metroid 2 is more like Link's Awakening in that it is just a very good GB game that doesn't have to hide from the main series titles.

Castlevania The Adventure otoh has a phenomenal first stage track and otherwise nothing redeeming about it. I let's played it out of spite because I have a morbid fascination with awful games. Move faster Christopher

My biggest beef with Castlevania is how iconic the whip is, despite most games (including the first!!!) treating it as the lovely weapon that you replace with the morningstar within 5 seconds of starting or respawning. Richter eventually asked, "why not just use the better weapon all the time?" and instantly became the most powerful character, at least until it was time to make him a loser fuckface nerd so that he wouldn't overshadow Alucard.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah I've been playing Metroid 2 lately, and it's a lot more playable than I expected, fun even. But I sure do like the ability to check a map on the internet. Not just because I can lose my bearings and don't know where I have and haven't been when looking for metroids and upgrades, but because classic Metroid does that thing I hate where there's just some blocks here and there that aren't real, or there's a tiny thing you need to bomb so you'll never really know if you've missed something.

The evolved metroids aren't all that hard to fight so far. I can see some of what would later be done in Fusion and Dread, but it's a lot less stressful to fight that sort of enemy as a fight all on its own rather than as a bonus to an already long and stressful big boss fight. What's hardest is more that you get stuck just outside the metroid's aggro range (or maybe it can't really move at all when it's offscreen?) And you need to jump at it in order to get in range to hit it with missiles again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah I've been playing Metroid 2 lately, and it's a lot more playable than I expected, fun even. But I sure do like the ability to check a map on the internet. Not just because I can lose my bearings and don't know where I have and haven't been when looking for metroids and upgrades, but because classic Metroid does that thing I hate where there's just some blocks here and there that aren't real, or there's a tiny thing you need to bomb so you'll never really know if you've missed something.
Do you (or anyone else) have a particular map you’d recommend?

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I used this one decades ago and earlier last year and I think it works well

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Okay I’m going to pose a topic.

Live-action Metroid movie, is it possible, or even a good idea?

I was kind of mulling this over in my head while at work today, and part of me would want the movie to lean into the “twist” that Samus is a woman. Like, don’t even announce a casting choice for who is playing Samus, have all of the marketing material refer to Samus as a man like the old Metroid manual did (the fanbase online would LOSE THEIR MINDS over this apparent “travesty”, but I’m not sure it would be enough to tank ticket sales outright), when Samus speaks in the movie have it be all modulated so you can’t tell if it’s a man or a woman, and then at the end of the movie Samus pops off the helmet and yep she’s a woman.

I think one of the bigger challenges is how do you do a movie about a solitary character who largely stays in isolation without any other characters to bounce off of. I don’t think emoting in the armor is that big of a deal, The Mandalorian showed that a faceless character can carry a series for multiple seasons just fine provided you have the right talent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Seems like a bad idea even if you could get it to work

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’d prefer a Metroid anime based around episodic bounty-hunting

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd prefer metroid prime 4

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd prefer metroid prime 4

let’s not get crazy now

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Augus posted:

I’d prefer a Metroid anime based around episodic bounty-hunting
Nintendo has heard you and has ordered a 12 episode series about Samus doing one long mission against the space pirates for the Federation
She will think of Adam, more than once

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Augus posted:

let’s not get crazy now

:smith:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Metroid is extremely unfilmable as a feature film. The only way to do it justice imo would be as animated shorts going exclusively for mood, no one really wants to see 'Samus save the galaxy from space pirates/Dark Samus' and there's not enough meat on the structure of the narrative to sustain a coherent plot unless they were the parts of the setting people really don't like

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Metroid also kinda has the same problem as Uncharted where trying to make an actual movie out of it would just result in knockoff Alien.

No Dignity posted:

I think Metroid is extremely unfilmable as a feature film. The only way to do it justice imo would be as animated shorts going exclusively for mood, no one really wants to see 'Samus save the galaxy from space pirates/Dark Samus' and there's not enough meat on the structure of the narrative to sustain a coherent plot unless they were the parts of the setting people really don't like
Something like Genndy Clone Wars but with Metroid would be cool.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

mycot posted:

Something like Genndy Clone Wars but with Metroid would be cool.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mycot posted:

it would just result in knockoff Alien.

That’s kind of where the whole series started though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s kind of where the whole series started though :v:
That's the point, Metroid the Movie is like Alien: The Game: The Movie. Like the opposite of Street Fighter The Movie: The Game.