Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Picked up the series and I've watched the first two episodes. First impressions are very positive. Contemplative walks and coming to terms with the passage of time and how well we truly know other individuals is definitely my jam.

The Yoasobi OP is fine but doesn't exactly prepare you for the whiplash of going from a jaunty pop to the pastoral soundtrack yanked from the Witcher games. The show's score is rather lovely, and the OP is fine but not really a mesh for me to make it a true standout OP.

I watched the first episode with subtitles and the second episode with dubs. The dub is exceptionally good but I'll have to finish the show with subtitles first because yet again Crunchyroll half asses things and doesn't translate onscreen text for the dubbed episodes and I loving hate it when they do that. I miss the days when video players were capable of doing marvelous things like translating text without also closed captioning an entire episode. So I'll watch with subtitles so I can get the context from the quotes that occasionally pop up and then I'll go back for the dub.

Frieren is so absentminded or hyper focused that years pass by and people have to remind her what she's missing due to her long life. It's reminding me of the Elrond and Durin scenes from the Amazon LOTR show, which is good because those were the only parts of that show worth watching.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished episode 4. So they aired these four episodes together at the start, right? Kind of an Outlaw Star style setup arc for what the rest of the story is going to be about?

I liked the second episode best so far with the search for the flowers and Frieren taking on Fern as an apprentice. It's also quietly amusing just how little Frieren understands about other races and their lifespans until she speaks it out loud and then it immediately clicks for her. It seems like she was completely checked out for the entirety of her generic fantasy adventure with Himmel and crew and she's doing a round two to actually try to understand and appreciate the time and experiences of those around her.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah the first four episodes were aired as one two hour special. I also think the second episode is probably the best out of the four, and does the best job of setting up what the main thrust of the show will be like.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
happy frieren withdrawal day

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Spookydonut posted:

happy frieren withdrawal day

If you've been watching it subbed, now you can rewatch the entire thing so far dubbed.

Or not.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Arc Hammer posted:

I liked the second episode best so far with the search for the flowers and Frieren taking on Fern as an apprentice. It's also quietly amusing just how little Frieren understands about other races and their lifespans until she speaks it out loud and then it immediately clicks for her. It seems like she was completely checked out for the entirety of her generic fantasy adventure with Himmel and crew and she's doing a round two to actually try to understand and appreciate the time and experiences of those around her.

I think the main thing about Frieren is that she thought having nearly-infinite time meant she could afford to waste time.

It turns out she can't! She absolutely can't!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
"One Piece? Its just a mere 1000 episodes"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's more like, you think you can watch a show whenever you get around to it and then Zaslav deletes it from every streaming service to save money and it's too late.

(At first you think "well, I'll just pirate it" but then you realize that none of the torrent clients you used to use work anymore and none of the trackers you remember have any seeds.)

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/takeuchiP_/status/1741011086097424888?s=19

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

"One Piece? Its just a mere 1000 episodes"

Fern pouts so hard her head begins to inflate like Kirby

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

when i see stuff like this, I wish I went into engineering or something, not because they make good money, but so I could apply it to cosplays and stuff

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It's 2023, engineering doesn't pay all that well anymore

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How’s the dub for this?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

How’s the dub for this?

I think they completely miss Frieren's character by making her sound like a 40 year old woman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

How’s the dub for this?

I think it's good except for the fact that they drag out the first e in Frieren a bit too much so it sounds like "Free-ren". Which I guess in retrospect kinda how they say it in Japanese too but generally since I'm reading subs my mind kinda glosses over it but when it's actually in a language I understand it's inescapable. Plus in my head I've always pronounced her name like "Frear-en" like when reading the manga so I guess it was always gonna sound off in either language

But that's a very niche complaint and you learn to get over it after an episode or two. Otherwise it's very good imo

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Dub's fine, generally. I agree that frieren sounds older in the dub than she does in the sub, but sub frieren already has a deeper voice than her appearance might suggest, and i think this was an intentional choice. Better she sound too old than too young

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

She is a mature older lady after all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She's an old grandma and I liked that the dub made her sound older.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Dub Stark whines beautifully. His scream as the carriage is falling is hysterical in more ways than one.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Is Frieren back on the menu this week

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

GateOfD posted:

Is Frieren back on the menu this week

Yes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've got two days to do twelve episodes to catch up.

Simple.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, finished episode 10 today. I'll do the rest up to 16 tomorrow because I need a break after that.

Honestly it got rather tiring seeing that confrontation get dragged out. It's not exactly tension building when they've telegraphed Frieren's big power move against the Demons for multiple episodes and when you spend every other sentence for four episodes straight talking about suppressing mana. Woohoo, you pulled an Dragon Ball move suppressing your power level.

Whenever the show dips into talking about mana, magic systems, the Demon King or "worldbuilding" exposés my mind kinda glazes over because it's really not that interesting of a fantasy setting. The appeal for me isn't knowing the history of Fantasy Land or any of that greater context because it's the most basic rear end setup you could get for a TTRPG inspired fantasy world. What I'm interested in is the characters perceptions of time, interpersonal relationships and how Frieren has and has not changed over the decades and centuries. I'm interested in watching Stark's fortitude in the face of a real challenge, or Fern channelling Frieren's teachings also completing tasks in the quickest manner possible as befitting her shorter lifespan. I'm not interested in over an hour of run-time waiting for the moron Demons to realize "wait they're hiding their power levels that's not fair."

Despite that slog, I'm enjoying Stark joining the team, though I'm certainly more interested in his moments of courage and insight than I am his frequent attempts to chicken out and call grandma Elf to fix the problem. But when he's on his game and being fully honest he's a fun character and I appreciate the moments of levity AFTER he's done something badass like his dragon battle.

Here's hoping that the next few episodes they go back to the little vignettes and travelogue observations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If you thought any of that was about power levels rather than building a social and psychological profile of demons you kind of hosed up media literacy on that one.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Personally I'd say the aura episode is mostly about frieren's motivations and backstory as well as her relationship with her master. Flamme was the first human she formed a strong bond with so it's definitely important. The power level thing was mostly incidental since, yes, it was obvious for quite a while what was going to happen

That said, if he didn't like the episode he didn't like the episode. It doesn't mean he's media illiterate

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 4, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Execution vs intent. I'd vibe with it more if it wasn't paced like a shonen battle anime taking four episodes plus multiple flashbacks, recaps and inner monologue observations midfight to get to the point.

But hey, you do you if you think that my only takeaway was power levels because I happened to roll my eyes at that part and felt it dragged the pace to a crawl. I just didn't like these episodes as much as the ones beforehand.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 4, 2024

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

It really didn't try to do that though?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the character poll results are out and 3rd place is mimic

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I didn't really feel like the mana suppression thing was played up that much until the last episode of the arc when the "reveal" via the Flamme flashbacks happened. Maybe the benefit of marathonning the series makes it seem more obvious or maybe I'm a big dummy. I mean yeah there are some super subtle hints early on like Fern being able to sneak up on people as a little kid because of mana suppression and maybe I think they mention it once or twice when hiding from a monster?

Anyway, like Mulva said I don't think the point of that story was ever supposed to be about power levels, the reveal was the psychology of demons, and how One Weird Trick To Kill Demons works, mixed in with a story about Frieren's past like so many chapters/episodes are. After all, we know Frieren's going to live in a conflict because she's the the protagonist in a shonen series, but we don't know how. The reveal here is that there was never a conflict and she had Aura dead to rights from the start. That said, it was played as a rad moment when Frieren reveals just how overpowered she is. And it was rad :colbert:

Spookydonut posted:

the character poll results are out and 3rd place is mimic

That's old news from 2022. I'm sure Mimic would take #1 if this world were just.

(if anyone's curious, omitting spoiler characters, other winners are

1.) Himmel
2.) Frieren
3.) Mimic
5.) Fern
6.) Stark
9.) Sein
10.) Aura the Guillotine
11.) Heiter
16.) Flamme
17.) Eisen

the poll was on Twitter and clearly the creators were having fun since they were clearly having trouble getting 100 characters together and just have a bunch of gag answers. The Giant Birthday Hamburger Steak made #23 and the "Jumbo Berry Special" (that ice cream dish that Stark remembers as being much bigger from when he was a kid) made #25

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 4, 2024

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Spookydonut posted:

the character poll results are out and 3rd place is treasure chest full of rare grimoires.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I feel the conflicts work better, currently, if you view our Elf as One Punch Man. She's a Level 20 DnD character in a Level 5-10 campaign. Winning fights isn't the goal here, it's understanding two things: why demons are a bunch of hosed up little guys and why Frieren is a hosed up little guy. I was actually more impressed the mana suppression things explained why she was always so tired and why she's so casual about everything. It's not just her life span but that barely anything comes close to being a threat to her personally. Presumably until much later on we're just going to be seeing how the demons have stagnated in their arrogance while Frieren and the stoic squad have constantly progressed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess I just didn't find the demons all that interesting as enemies and I didn't feel that the show needed four episodes to tell this particular storyline.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I only remember it being 2 and a half episodes

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Arc Hammer posted:

I guess I just didn't find the demons all that interesting as enemies and I didn't feel that the show needed four episodes to tell this particular storyline.

The henchmen were certainly not much beyond nice designs. If I had any complaint it was Fern not reacting to being pinned to wall via spike through the shoulder. That felt less stoic and more robotic. Like, I feel she should be reacting to pain like a fairly normal person but she just seemed entirely un-bothered.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
A reminder that after telling a demon "Yeah in 80 years humanity reverse engineered your spell and it's become commonplace." he instantly understood the fundamentals of the defense against it. When it comes to magic, they pretty much are just flat out better than anyone. Their downfall is in knowing that. Aura doesn't say "That's impossible" when Frieren says she's been hiding her mana, she says "That's impossible, I would have detected the fluctuations and instability.". The idea is entirely understandable to her, what she can't believe is the sheer level of brutal dedication it would take to perfect that skill. Frieren herself thought that demons were too simple to see through the ruse, but anything less than the level of focus she put into it and it never would have worked.

Demons are, in fact, no joke. To anyone. That entire city was gone if things went slightly differently.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
The whole point of Flamme's flashback wasn't that you could trick demons by hiding your mana, it was that you could manipulate your enemies by understanding their cultural and societal norms. Girl was very much into full spectrum warfare.

You also get a nice callback, the spell Frieren uses to decorate Himmel's grave earlier wasn't just some folk magic she had been hunting. It was the favorite spell of Flamme, passed down from her parents and probably the last spell she taught to Frieren, which also just happened to be folk magic. There's lots of little things in these flashbacks that help to inform Frieren's character.

But it is a jarring change of pace and these demons are some of the weakest characters in the show so I can understand not digging these episodes especially if you are afraid it's a turning point in how the story is told. These fights in the comics were like 3 panels each, so no one knew if the anime was going to build them out or offscreen them. They chose to build them out and showed off some gorgeous animation chops.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Sure the bad guys weren't the best demons, but we got Fern strutting to one hell of a flute solo. Also, good cover of that song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2veeWCXkmTE

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean I definitely agree that the demons in that arc aren't that interesting as characters. I found that some of the other things that arc was saying kept my attention and of course I'm always a sucker for a well-animated fight scene. frieren basically has two 'modes' and I like both of them but I know that's not the case for everyone

fortunately you've got a bunch of episodes coming that are more the kind of thing you like

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sharkmafia posted:

fortunately you've got a bunch of episodes coming that are more the kind of thing you like

I'll say!

Just wrapped up episode 16, so I'm all set for tomorrow. Favs of this bunch were Stark's birthday episode when Frieren turned into a little prankster goblin with her potion, Sein's introduction episode and the one that was split between Sein turning into a Witcher for a while and then ending with Stark playing prince while the animators flexed their dancing chops. I also loved the moment of Frieren's silent realization that Himmel absolutely knew the meaning behind the ring's symbol even if she didn't at the time.

On the last episode, the part with Old Man Voll finally got to me when it turned out he really was starting to go senile. No music, just a quiet moment to reflect that even the longest lived individuals may eventually forget their reasons and only hold onto their somethings. It was genuinely sad and hit the melancholy notes just right.

Oh! I forgot the moment where Sein turned into Saitama for a second to ask what was with this sassy lost child after Frieren blew him a kiss.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New OP and ED. Kinda love the new ED continuing with the first ED's song but with the super neat stop motion visuals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqsnJJK8GA4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAOQDCF0jQE