Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Absolute legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fil5000 posted:

I liked the one he did with Jill Bearup because the backlash over it is how I learned she was a terf and stopped watching her poo poo

I love how all the YouTube historical weapons people are either the most wonderful queerdos who day-job as pole dancing instructors or some kind of bigot/literal fascist and there’s absolutely zero space in between

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

trilobite terror posted:

I love how all the YouTube historical weapons people are either the most wonderful queerdos who day-job as pole dancing instructors or some kind of bigot/literal fascist and there’s absolutely zero space in between

Her videos were all devoid of anything terfy, that's why it took me by surprise but once Tom's video with her came out people got rightly mad and produced receipts and the video went down, and she left Standard.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fil5000 posted:

Her videos were all devoid of anything terfy, that's why it took me by surprise but once Tom's video with her came out people got rightly mad and produced receipts and the video went down, and she left Standard.

ugh thanks for bringing this up, unsubscribed to her channel.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

trilobite terror posted:

Whatever became of Skalagrim of however you write it? I remember dropping him when he started getting very guns rights and whatnot. Can't remember the mass shooting that triggered the convo at the time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

Whatever became of Skalagrim of however you write it? I remember dropping him when he started getting very guns rights and whatnot. Can't remember the mass shooting that triggered the convo at the time.

I thought somebody here said he publicly broke with shad over right wing poo poo and was like way better or something. Or maybe that was the gladiator school dude and Skallagrim was one of the "women aren't meant to hold a sword" guys. IDK, I confuse all of those white european/commonwealth bearded/long haired sword nerds, they all look the same to me.

(also lol at shad's ongoing public embarrassment over AI art and his "talents". I don't know anything about Jazza's politics or beliefs and I assume that they're probably not great given the notable family relation, but he deserves a "world's best brother" award for how diplomatically and lovingly he handles Shad's delusions and obvious complex)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 1, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

(also lol at shad's ongoing public embarrassment over AI art and his "talents". I don't know anything about Jazza's politics or beliefs and I assume that they're probably not great given the notable family relation, but he deserves a "world's best brother" award for how diplomatically and lovingly he handles Shad's delusions and obvious complex)

he made a statement to the effect of "i don't like talking about politics but FYI my brothers politics suck" lol

https://twitter.com/JazzaStudios/status/1712453034499015053

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
Moon posted a bit about his thoughts after seeing the call.

quote:

Happy New Year folks!

So, the last video on the Jobst-Completionist conflict has proven to be just a touch controversial, and I, as not a YouTuber really, underestimated how much people care about YouTube drama. We've talked about religion, and politics, and economics, and law, and gender on this channel, but only Karl Jobst is a topic worthy enough for brigading and harassment, which is as puzzling to me as it is amusing. That said, I should also have expected the outrage from Jobst's fans: I kicked the wasp's nest, and now I'm covered in wasps.

I've received some complaints concerning the last video from, we'll call them, well meaning Jobst enthusiasts, and have had the chance to talk to Jobst directly via Reddit. Jobst was quite pleasant to talk to, which I consider a credit to him.

My video doesn't include any evidence taken from a long, unedited discord call between Jirard, Mutahar, and Jobst. After watching it, I can see why that's upset some people: it does make Jirard look quite a bit worse, as he fumbles his words and contradicts himself quite a bit. As the former director of Open Hand, naturally, his not knowing things could be a strong indicator of negligence.

I won't get into the details of the call, as I still think my video's legal analysis holds up without it. I will say, it makes arguments of charity fraud more plausible, and more likely, by a healthy amount. I don't think it changes anything regarding embezzlement.

That said, of course, my video makes no claims as to the morality of the situation, and if one finds Jirard is guilty of Jobst's definitions of charity fraud or embezzlement, that's alright too.

My video didn't get into details concerning Jirard's family either, because that's just not something I'm comfortable with, and because there isn't enough for me to add anything to the discussion legally.

Regardless of what happens next, I won't be making a follow-up video, even if Jobst responds. Sometimes you're the fire extinguisher, and sometimes you're the fuel. This time, it seems, I've been fuel, which is disheartening, and contrary to my intentions.

I'm washing my hands of this situation, as I'm content to allow the future to either confirm or deny my analysis, and if I'm wrong, if Jirard is convicted of charity fraud and/or embezzlement, I'll donate the whole income from the video, sponsor included, to the Alzheimer's Association. I withdraw any challenge for Jobst to donate his income, as well.

Speaking of donations though, the silver lining to this cloud is that Moon Channel viewers have raised, as of the publishing of this post, $2,338 for the Alzheimer's Association!! That's an incredible amount, and something we should all be proud of. Seeing as how we smashed through my contribution-match ceiling (amazing, seriously), I've donated the $500 as of this morning.

Altogether then, we've donated nearly $3,000, and the number keeps climbing! Thank you all for your support of the Alzheimer's Association, and all of the good work that they do.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Rlm has done more for culture than Snyder

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

repiv posted:

he made a statement to the effect of "i don't like talking about politics but FYI my brothers politics suck" lol

good guy.

For those who don't know, shad is convinced that he's already close to being a "pro-level" graphic artist and illustrator on his own merits (absolutely not, he draws like a fairly talented middle schooler) and that AI "art" and writing/refining AI prompts is just as creatively and cognitively valid/strenuous/whatever as somebody cultivating actual artistic talent and practice/development/training (it's obviously not).

So if you want to see a notorious youtube bigot and fascist publicly humiliate himself, there's a ton of content and a lot of compilations/etc featuring shad debating the merits of his position and the merits of his "work", usually getting defensive/insecure/irate, including one especially painful conversation between shad and jazza at some card game thing where shad just gets increasingly aggressive and belligerent and his poor brother does everything he can to help him save face and self-esteem and also not torch their relationship.

Shad's literally like "be honest, I'm as good as you". Like it becomes insulting to his brother's career. Just proving the whole thesis about chuds fundamentally not respecting creative work, etc

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Does anyone still care about Yandere Dev?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEs6JN2xm8Q

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

apropos of moon:

https://youtu.be/jybB49e1mDI?si=DAjr5yMQFU6jhaUF

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

repiv posted:

drat, must suck knowing without a shadow of a doubt that you're the evil brother.

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Different moon I believe

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kosume Shezaki posted:

Different moon I believe

oh word

one is "not really a youtuber" and the other is a chud-adjacent content mill

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

drat, must suck knowing without a shadow of a doubt that you're the evil brother.

its like how Skip Bayless' brother is a famous chef who's renown for being incredibly nice

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Imagining the mind of a dude trying to get into art but continuing to go by the name Shad.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

including one especially painful conversation between shad and jazza at some card game thing where shad just gets increasingly aggressive and belligerent and his poor brother does everything he can to help him save face and self-esteem and also not torch their relationship.

iirc that clip is from before genAI was even a thing, so shad was aggressively defending his not very good drawings as being up to a professional standard even before he started using AI as a crutch

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

So does this mean that we have to regard Jobst and Muta as investigative journalist greats on par with the Walter Cronkites and Anderson Coopers of the world?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's not everyone who gets to play the world's oldest board game with a real life wizard

Man's lucky he wasn't banished to the shadow realm

Irving Finkel might be the most powerful wizard alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbuZGCYDpQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOT75GB64Hw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmsfL5LG90

He also had a great exchange in Cunk on Earth (god I hate the shorts editing style):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNvdYesAcuc

He also heads a lovely project of rescuing old diaries to archive and preserve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0hi2Q3TAK8

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

I thought somebody here said he publicly broke with shad over right wing poo poo and was like way better or something. Or maybe that was the gladiator school dude and Skallagrim was one of the "women aren't meant to hold a sword" guys. IDK, I confuse all of those white european/commonwealth bearded/long haired sword nerds, they all look the same to me.

That was Matt Easton/scholagladiatoria who cut ties with Shad. Skallagrim has his wife help him show off weapons and weapons techniques so that's probably Shad again you're thinking of - not sure on that one. Not sure about the gun thing but skal does like guns though and Easton has also talked about moving to USA to have guns so that might just be all of them.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Saagonsa posted:

Imagining the mind of a dude trying to get into art but continuing to go by the name Shad.

this was literally the name of one of my best friends like a decade ago and we all bent over backwards to help him get into MCAD on scholarship and he returned the favor by stiffing me on a 200 dollar commission and dropping out to play dnd on an unsuccessful podcast

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

this was literally the name of one of my best friends like a decade ago and we all bent over backwards to help him get into MCAD on scholarship and he returned the favor by stiffing me on a 200 dollar commission and dropping out to play dnd on an unsuccessful podcast

lmao

what is it with Shads

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

That was Matt Easton/scholagladiatoria who cut ties with Shad. Skallagrim has his wife help him show off weapons and weapons techniques so that's probably Shad again you're thinking of - not sure on that one. Not sure about the gun thing but skal does like guns though and Easton has also talked about moving to USA to have guns so that might just be all of them.

More big YouTube sword guys than just shad were on the whole “wokes rewriting history”/“black people don’t belong in Middle Earth”/etc tip a few years ago

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Alaois posted:

lmao

what is it with Shads

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

More big YouTube sword guys than just shad were on the whole “wokes rewriting history”/“black people don’t belong in Middle Earth”/etc tip a few years ago

Oh that wouldn't surprise me at all. I only got into watching these channels in the middle of last year and have only watched Skallagrim, scholagladiatoria, and Tod's Workshop and haven't run into that sentiment but maybe it's in some older videos.

There is something incredibly lame about sword dudes also trying to talk about how much they are into guns, though. lol

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 1, 2024

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i like that guy who makes videos about Balearic slings

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

So does this mean that we have to regard Jobst and Muta as investigative journalist greats on par with the Walter Cronkites and Anderson Coopers of the world?

i dont think so op

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Just remembered that this video, which was on that list of video essays from several pages back, has less than a thousand views as of this post. That seems wrong. We should fix that. It's about how one hit wonders tend to cater to the whims and tastes of the white public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2N_SGny_-0

Genthil posted:

New Todd & Aaron, the year can safely end now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jug4dnhF6fE

“I can’t imagine the crunch!”

Shout out to "Band I Turned Off After 2 Seconds." I did not turn that band off, for the record.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

mycophobia posted:

i dont think so op

Okay good.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Alaois posted:

its like how Skip Bayless' brother is a famous chef who's renown for being incredibly nice

Rick is as happily chill about his love for Mexican cuisine as Skip is incredibly resentful that he's a Cowboys fan

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Skallagrim is fine and the most I've raised an eyebrow at is some of his complaints about Canadian laws prohibiting the ownership of certain knives or guns.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
constantly loling at karl jobst pumping out these videos and no matter how serious the subject he wants you to play war thunder and raid shadow legends RIGHT NOW

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nuns with Guns posted:

Irving Finkel might be the most powerful wizard alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbuZGCYDpQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOT75GB64Hw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmsfL5LG90

He also had a great exchange in Cunk on Earth (god I hate the shorts editing style):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNvdYesAcuc

He also heads a lovely project of rescuing old diaries to archive and preserve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0hi2Q3TAK8

Irving Finkel's official title is something like Assistant Keeper of Mesopotamian Antiquities at the British Museum and he looks exactly like what you'd want your Assistant Keeper of Mesopotamian Antiquities to look like.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Irving Finkel's official title is something like Assistant Keeper of Mesopotamian Antiquities at the British Museum and he looks exactly like what you'd want your Assistant Keeper of Mesopotamian Antiquities to look like.

What does the main guy look like? Just a stone tablet?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Spaced God posted:

he might be one of these guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMRTGv82Zo

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

constantly loling at karl jobst pumping out these videos and no matter how serious the subject he wants you to play war thunder and raid shadow legends RIGHT NOW

Karls and Panzer

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Spaced God posted:

Presumably it is Gilgamesh himself

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Happy New Year thread!

This year my resolution is to finally take the plunge and start making my own video essays. I have no idea how to make them, but I'm going to learn and try! Unfortunately, I won't be able to start until February due to moving apartments this month. But I'll keep you all updated on my bad choices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

do lots of skits