Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Oh man. This might be a really dumb question/idea so sorry in advance.

I have an old rear end computer:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891237-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_h3y79aa_aba_Pavilion_p7_1410_Desktop_PC.html

Is it viable to upgrade the motherboard/cpu in this case? I have been keeping this thing going and I like the optical drives (I rip/burn CDs/DVDs) so that is kinda my main reason for keeping the case because modern cases seem to forgo the optical slots. I just replaced the power supply with a CX750M there is 16GB ram, and I have a 2GB SSD in there.

What country are you in? – US

Do you live near Microcenter? – No

What are you using the system for? – The main use is music production with a little video and image editing as well

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. – $400-500? Is that even doable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sporklift posted:

Oh man. This might be a really dumb question/idea so sorry in advance.

I have an old rear end computer:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891237-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_h3y79aa_aba_Pavilion_p7_1410_Desktop_PC.html

Is it viable to upgrade the motherboard/cpu in this case? I have been keeping this thing going and I like the optical drives (I rip/burn CDs/DVDs) so that is kinda my main reason for keeping the case because modern cases seem to forgo the optical slots. I just replaced the power supply with a CX750M there is 16GB ram, and I have a 2GB SSD in there.

What country are you in? – US

Do you live near Microcenter? – No

What are you using the system for? – The main use is music production with a little video and image editing as well

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. – $400-500? Is that even doable?

That case is almost certainly non-standard, so you'd need to replace it if you want to build something new/upgrade. That said, the Fractal Design Pop cases do have a drive bay at the bottom front of the case, hidden behind a little panel. You could swap an optical drive into it from your current system.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I've got a Ryzen 5 3600 with a 3060ti, it's never really met my expectations for performance and I hate my huge loving full size tower.

Should I:

A) buy a 4070ti in a few weeks after the supers come out and hopefully depress the price and stop bitching about my lovely tower (i hate it)
B) buy a new CPU, motherboard, ram, and mATX case and roll with my 3060ti
C) do an entire new build and lie when my wife asks how much it costs

C is probably a bad idea, but I want a clean mATX build that can run darktide, cyberpunk at 1440 with high settings, so really, do I have a choice in the matter

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 1, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ammanas posted:

I've got a Ryzen 5 3600 with a 3060ti, it's never really met my expectations for performance and I hate my huge loving full size tower.

Should I:

A) buy a 4070ti in a few weeks after the supers come out and hopefully depress the price and stop bitching about my lovely tower (i hate it)
B) buy a new CPU, motherboard, ram, and mATX case and roll with my 3060ti
C) do an entire new build and lie when my wife asks how much it costs

C is probably a bad idea, but I want a clean mATX build that can run darktide, cyberpunk at 1440 with high settings, so really, do I have a choice in the matter

A new GPU is going to probably go further than doing a core system upgrade and hanging with a 3060 Ti. You could snag a 4070 Ti and a mid-tower ATX case that’s smaller than whatever you have now though, maybe?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Branch Nvidian posted:

That case is almost certainly non-standard, so you'd need to replace it if you want to build something new/upgrade. That said, the Fractal Design Pop cases do have a drive bay at the bottom front of the case, hidden behind a little panel. You could swap an optical drive into it from your current system.

My current case is a similar looking pavilion case and it supported a normal mATX board. And IIRC the front panel connectors were standard as well.

e: looked it up and it seems that exact computer is similar.

https://partsurfer.hp.com/partsurfer/?searchtext=H3Y79AA&searchby=product

The included board is a normal micro atx so the case should accommodate any other micro atx motherboard.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 1, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

My current case is a similar looking pavilion case and it supported a normal mATX board. And IIRC the front panel connectors were standard as well.

Given that information, and looking up the PC in question's motherboard, it does indeed look standard sized, so this might be an option for an upgrade:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($177.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B660M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $388.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-01 17:45 EST-0500

Note this is assuming there is already a discrete GPU. Sporklift, if you're running on integrated graphics, then you'd need to change the CPU to something with one, or lower the CPU and add a GPU.

Also if you're just using it for music production and occasionally some video editing, you honestly might be better off getting a Mac Mini.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Something tells me that such a big CPU cooler wouldn't work in that case though. Unless you can figure out how wide the case is, I'd stick with 90mm coolers, or low-profile downdraft coolers.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Given that information, and looking up the PC in question's motherboard, it does indeed look standard sized, so this might be an option for an upgrade:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B660M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($56.99 @ Amazon)

Note this is assuming there is already a discrete GPU. Sporklift, if you're running on integrated graphics, then you'd need to change the CPU to something with one, or lower the CPU and add a GPU.

Also if you're just using it for music production and occasionally some video editing, you honestly might be better off getting a Mac Mini.

If I forgo the video editing aspect do I need a GPU? I believe I am just running with integrated graphics right now. What would be a good alternative integrated graphics chip? This is just a crappy computer I keep in the basement to goof around with music stuff. Everything I do is very amateur hobby stuff thus just wanting to do this for as cheap as possible. The reason I don't go the Mac route is because all of my software and plugins are windows. This computer actually does ok for what I do but with the upcoming Windows 10 apocalypse I worry about being able to upgrade my software in the future and I wouldn't mind a performance boost from some new hardware.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Something tells me that such a big CPU cooler wouldn't work in that case though. Unless you can figure out how wide the case is, I'd stick with 90mm coolers, or low-profile downdraft coolers.

The case is about 5" wide.

If my questions are too dumb just let me know. Y'all have given me a good start for this goofy project.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I assume the 2GB SSD is a typo (2TB, perhaps?), because that would be my recommendation for the first place to upgrade to improve general workstation type tasks. Assuming that it is indeed a typo and you are doing all your work off an SSD already, a lot of the best bang-for-your-buck CPUs don't have integrated graphics, so it's worth making sure if you don't already have a graphics card.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what prompted the PSU upgrade if you didn't add discrete graphics?

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 2, 2024

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Dr. Stab posted:

I assume the 2GB SSD is a typo (2TB, perhaps?), because that would be my recommendation for the first place to upgrade to improve general workstation type tasks. Assuming that it is indeed a typo and you are doing all your work off an SSD already, a lot of the best bang-for-your-buck CPUs don't have integrated graphics, so it's worth making sure if you don't already have a graphics card.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what prompted the PSU upgrade if you didn't add discrete graphics?

Yes 2TB. Sorry. Ahh the PSU thing was kinda a dumb panic buy. The PSU went out while I was working on something and since I didn't know what I was doing I just ran to Best Buy and sorta guessed what I needed. It is a bit overkill yeah?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's fine. Old PSU exploding is a very good reason to upgrade. And if you need help determining whether you have a GPU or not, just ask. dumb questions are fine.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Dr. Stab posted:

It's fine. Old PSU exploding is a very good reason to upgrade. And if you need help determining whether you have a GPU or not, just ask. dumb questions are fine.

I do not have a GPU. A dedicated graphic card? No. Other than the SSD, PSU, and a random stick of ram I pilfered from a different computer this thing is stock.

Branch Nvidian posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

So would this be ok?
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BB4Ycf/intel-core-i5-12600k-37-ghz-6-core-processor-bx8071512600k
Just a couple bucks more for integrated graphics if I'm understanding correctly.

I guess I just would need a smaller CPU cooler too?

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
I'm looking for a mini computer for my bedroom. I have a NUC that's probably 10+ years old at this point and it's put of storage and can barely handle 1080p YouTube anymore.

What are the good mini computers now adays?aways?

Price point is going to be 500-700

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

sporklift posted:

I guess I just would need a smaller CPU cooler too?

Mounting an aftermarket CPU cooler into those OEM cases can be a bit of a bother - I've got an HP case (an Elitedesk 800 G2 tower) that I keep around for similar drive configuration-related reasons, and I was able to get a 92mm tower cooler to just squeak in. The updated version of the tower I used is the ID-Cooling Frozn A400 and it claims a total package height of 123mm. Worthy of note: my HP tower had the backplate screwholes for the CPU cooler mounted to the inside of the case beneath the motherboard, so you might need a rotary tool to dremel them off if your case has them and you're trying to mount something aftermarket.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

McGrady posted:

I'm looking for a mini computer for my bedroom. I have a NUC that's probably 10+ years old at this point and it's put of storage and can barely handle 1080p YouTube anymore.

Depending on what you want to do, either a Mac Mini (M1/2/3, doesn't matter) or a Beelink.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Ayaneo mini retro PCs are supposedly pretty good and sub $400

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

McGrady posted:

https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-um773-lite?variant=44243860619509

Or for the latest generation of AMD SoC, this: https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Computer-Desktop-Display-2-5Gbps/dp/B0CH7X9QHW?th=1 (the $150 coupon takes it down to $639)

Intel sold some NUCs with dedicated graphics before they shut down the NUC division, but these AMD-based mini PCs have the best integrated graphics available on the market right now, so they're pretty good too. They're capable of handling video playback at any resolution as well as indie gaming and any light workstation tasks you throw at them.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 2, 2024

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Thanks for all the insight. So right now I'm looking at these options. Basically this is just going to be a music machine. No video or photo editing. My other computer does that stuff just fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i-17xx 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $411.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-01 22:09 EST-0500

Pros: Recycling Parts, Small Size
Cons: Old rear end computer, maybe more hassle than its worth to build

So then I put some extra parts in for a new build and came up with this. Is this comparable? Worth the extra hundred?

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B760M-H/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL32 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Custom: USB 5.25 ($36.29)
Total: $510.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-01 22:39 EST-0500

Or at this point should I just buy a HP or Dell or something?

sporklift fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 2, 2024

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Just wanted to pop in and say that the early woes about MicroCenter's AM5 bundles, especially the ones I had back in February '23 seem to be solved.

I had to build a new computer again this last week after being loving burglarized, Merry Christmas. The 7900X bundle hasn't changed in 11 months, but the BIOS updates have gone a long way and the RAM and motherboard MicroCenter chose finally play nicely with EXPO enabled.

(The 7800X3D bundle is certainly now the go-to for gaming, but it didn't exist at the time and the motherboard they use has a lot fewer ports and such anyway)

mp5 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 2, 2024

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

sporklift posted:

Thanks for all the insight. So right now I'm looking at these options. Basically this is just going to be a music machine. No video or photo editing. My other computer does that stuff just fine.

So then I put some extra parts in for a new build and came up with this. Is this comparable? Worth the extra hundred?

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B760M-H/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL32 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Custom: USB 5.25 ($36.29)
Total: $510.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-01 22:39 EST-0500

Your current case fits a Micro ATX motherboard (despite the confusing name it's larger than Mini-ITX and usually cheaper). So really you can use the second part list as the base for the upgrade with the only change being not buying a new case and getting a lower profile (and more expensive) cooler to fit in the current case. Personally I'd go with the build including a new case since the pop air will be much easier to build in (easier to get the components in, no chance of weird stuff you need to fix like non-standard cooler mounts, less sharp edges to cut you).

The ASRock B760M-H motherboard you've picked doesn't come with wifi, if you go with a new case and want to keep the wifi you'll want to spend a bit extra to get a motherboard with built in wifi (or pilfer the m.2 card and antenna from your current pc and jerry rig it into the new case). If you reuse the existing case you should be able to move the wifi card over without needing to disconnect the antenna.

sporklift posted:

Or at this point should I just buy a HP or Dell or something?
A mini pc could be an option, there are minisforum and beelink devices from a few posts back that can be had for around $500US, you'll get slightly less performance for your dollar but the advantage is they're a much smaller device and way less effort to set up. They cannot be upgraded beyond changing memory/storage though so you'll be shopping for a complete replacement next time you're due an upgrade.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You said everything I was going to say, except: The microATX version of the Pop Air (confusingly called the Fractal Design Pop Mini Air) still has the two external 5.25 inch drive bays, so that swap makes the new build a similar size to the sleeper case build.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Also, I would recommend the micro ATX board over the mini-ITX, because, down the line, it gives you space for a gpu and other expansion cards you might want (like maybe a fancy audio interface as you ramp up your production hobby)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Canna Happy posted:

I built a kid a budget system in the Phanteks g300a over the holidays and they were really happy with it. I bought a 3 pack of thermalright rgb fans TL-C12C-S and put them in the front and left the included Phanteks rgb on the rear. They loved the unicorn vomit. After rebate I think I was at less than 50 for the case and fans.

DoombatINC posted:

Seconding the Phanteks Eclipse cases if you're on a budget, I've got two of them and they're great - solid build quality, easy to work inside of, and I've had good experiences with their customer support

Hell yeah, bought one, we're going to double up. Feels good man, I gave away most of my extra PC stuff to friends after having kids and no time, I'm going to be glad to have multiple full towers around again. We'll see how much $40 case tech has improved, I did two builds in NZXT Source 210s about a decade ago. Those were the cheap and cheerful cases at the time: https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nzxt_source_210/

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

hi y'all! i return. but this time i'm just doing a favor for a friend who's too cheap to give dear jeffrey his due :10bux:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140 BLACK 95.5 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($165.48 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($539.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00)
Total: $1614.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-02 12:14 EST-0500

he's (probably?) going with AMD, and all the mobo research i did was for intel, so i know nothing there and can't help him. he claims he could go either way, but every part list he shows me is AMD, so who can say. he's also not necessarily 100% soulbound to that cooler, apparently he has to hook it up with zipties....? scuffed poo poo, couldn't be me

anything egregious here? he may put together an intel list at some point, i dunno

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Zoya posted:

anything egregious here? he may put together an intel list at some point, i dunno

Most of this looks good - the memory kit could stand to be better re: frequency and timings, but I'll let someone big brained on memory poo poo offer a recommendation on that

Mainly I wanted to note that my dude shouldn't need to zip-tie a Frost Commander at any point unless he's lost parts or something, the heatsink mounts to the AM4 / AM5 backplate with screws and the fans mount to the heatsink with little metal wires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmK4AKsOtXI

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Zoya posted:

hi y'all! i return. but this time i'm just doing a favor for a friend who's too cheap to give dear jeffrey his due :10bux:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140 BLACK 95.5 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($165.48 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($539.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1614.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-02 12:14 EST-0500

he's (probably?) going with AMD, and all the mobo research i did was for intel, so i know nothing there and can't help him. he claims he could go either way, but every part list he shows me is AMD, so who can say. he's also not necessarily 100% soulbound to that cooler, apparently he has to hook it up with zipties....? scuffed poo poo, couldn't be me

He'll want DDR5-6000 CL30 RAM instead of DDR5-5600 CL36. 5600 will hurt the overall performance of the system somewhat, though probably not terribly. That said, he can get the right RAM for less than the wrong RAM.

Additionally, 4080, 4070 Ti, and 4070 cards are getting refreshes later this month to keep his eyes open for.

Made a few other changes to the motherboard and swapped to the SSD to a larger capacity for very little extra and came in under the price of the build you posted.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($102.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Z44Q 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($209.63 @ Amazon)
Total: $1586.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-02 12:50 EST-0500

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's a good pick/brand for SATA SSDs? I'm eyeballing another SSD (probably just 1TB) for some more storage but don't have another M2 slot and feel like a SATA one should probably be fine & cheaper?

Joey_Redd
Jun 12, 2008
So stupid question but, I am looking to build a new main PC, something to use for gaming but also work in my home office. That being said for my gaming setup I want to run dual GPUs an RTX nvidia GPU and then something a bit on the lower end solely something that can output low resolution like 240p for use with my Ikegami monitor, but simultaneously I would like that graphics card to be able to handle emulation at least up until the Wii. I guess my question is what is the latest made graphics card that would be able to output a low resolution, and what type of motherboard would be best for a configuration like this?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oxyclean posted:

What's a good pick/brand for SATA SSDs? I'm eyeballing another SSD (probably just 1TB) for some more storage but don't have another M2 slot and feel like a SATA one should probably be fine & cheaper?

Crucial MX500, Samsung 870 EVO, WD Blue. I mostly stick with the MX500 these days. WD bought sandisk for their SSD manufacturing so they're just sandisks which are fine, too.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Joey_Redd posted:

So stupid question but, I am looking to build a new main PC, something to use for gaming but also work in my home office. That being said for my gaming setup I want to run dual GPUs an RTX nvidia GPU and then something a bit on the lower end solely something that can output low resolution like 240p for use with my Ikegami monitor, but simultaneously I would like that graphics card to be able to handle emulation at least up until the Wii. I guess my question is what is the latest made graphics card that would be able to output a low resolution, and what type of motherboard would be best for a configuration like this?

lol

edit: i take back my lol, i misunderstood the question.

It might be best to limit your special low res outputs to a small compact, cheap system that you know is compatible with such a thing. I don't even know what an Ikegami monitor is!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Joey_Redd posted:

I'm a little confused. Can modern graphics cards not output to low resolution displays? I don't have this kind of low-res display to test with, but I never thought that would be a problem.

Joey_Redd
Jun 12, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm a little confused. Can modern graphics cards not output to low resolution displays? I don't have this kind of low-res display to test with, but I never thought that would be a problem.

Apparently you can with you can with a nvidia gtx series graphics card, but you have to run a dp to vga adapter and then connect a vga to rgb then you have to create a custom resolution, but I guess my question is of the feasibility of running two GPUs on one motherboard, I know they wouldn’t be able to work together and that one would be a dedicated GPU solely connected to that monitor but I am unsure of how to configure something like this.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

ephphatha posted:

The ASRock B760M-H motherboard you've picked doesn't come with wifi, if you go with a new case and want to keep the wifi you'll want to spend a bit extra to get a motherboard with built in wifi (or pilfer the m.2 card and antenna from your current pc and jerry rig it into the new case). If you reuse the existing case you should be able to move the wifi card over without needing to disconnect the antenna.

drat... This is the kind of stuff I would never think of. I just kinda assume that a modern motherboard would have wifi. I believe my old HP had a USB wifi thingy but it has been connected to Ethernet since it became the basement dweller. I think I am gonna want wifi in there though in case I move it to a different room. So, yeah, I'm ditching the whole use my old case idea. Seems like a hassle. Here is what I am going to harvest out of it: CX750M PSU, 2TB SSD and the smaller HDD, DVD burner. I also might try to take out the SD card reader and put it in the extra drive bay. Or maybe go with something like this? https://www.newegg.com/p/0DS-00DC-00001 Here is the current build. Am I missing anything? Is that motherboard an ok brand? There weren't a lot of wifi options in the lower price range.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X Refined SE PLUS 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($22.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760M C Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL32 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $512.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-02 21:26 EST-0500

Again thank you all. You have been super helpful.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
DVD? HDD? Drop em. Can get an enclosure for the HDD, and get a USB dvd burner for 20 bucks if needed

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Joey_Redd posted:

Apparently you can with you can with a nvidia gtx series graphics card, but you have to run a dp to vga adapter and then connect a vga to rgb then you have to create a custom resolution, but I guess my question is of the feasibility of running two GPUs on one motherboard, I know they wouldn’t be able to work together and that one would be a dedicated GPU solely connected to that monitor but I am unsure of how to configure something like this.

I think the real question is why would you bother with 2 cards? You could do this all from a modern single card that has 2 video outs. Which is just about all of em. It's probably more a pain in the rear end running two cards and keeping one dedicated to watching 80s porn vhs than running a daisy chain of converters.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

LRADIKAL posted:

DVD? HDD? Drop em. Can get an enclosure for the HDD, and get a USB dvd burner for 20 bucks if needed

Because the case I chose has room for that? Why would I want to clutter my desk and use up my USB ports when I don't have to?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
HDD's make noise, and DVD's are obsolete.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I just built a PC around a https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/full-tower/haf-700-evo/
I don't look up cases lest I'm building my own and I have built plenty in the past year but man o man now I know why I rarely see cooler master

This thing looks like bulky crap.
And building it after others large Marge cases from phanteks and such I can confirm it is bulky crap.

Little helpful options for cable management.
Fingerprint/dust magnet light bars on the front.
And a mirror I can't figure out anything cool to put near it. Its riser cable set up it interesting as it's just a easy peasy snap latch holding up your heavy rear end GPU. But it's so loving close to the motherboard that the PCI cables provide enough resistance that it's like loading a jack in the box.

If you open that easy latch it will dunktank your GPU a few inches into the fan array

Avoid

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hey all, can I get some recommendations for a modem and router? This is for my apartment internet. I plan on doing a decent amount of gaming, streaming, downloading, etc. I'm looking to get something relatively top of the line, that'll last me for a few years. Unfortunately, PC Part Picker doesn't made a modem/router section to peruse. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LRADIKAL posted:

HDD's make noise, and DVD's are obsolete.

Yeah they are, blu-rays have been widely available and cheap for more than 15 years now.