Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

emSparkly posted:

I swear I remember a bunch of stuff picking up stray 2g signals and making this weird noise because of it.

this is because GSM is a pulsed signal so yeah it will be picked up by things when it sends the packets. the radio switches on and off real fast.

modern stuff is a consistent carrier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Sagebrush posted:

doot-de-doot doot-de-doot doot-de-doot bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt ditditiditidititditidt
/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epMy7dwasG8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

forget trying to get gen-z kids to identify the modem noise. gsm speaker interference noise is the elite challenge

lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

emSparkly posted:

I swear I remember a bunch of stuff picking up stray 2g signals and making this weird noise because of it.

I had a little phone-fob with an LED and a battery in that had a coiled wire antenna just for picking up the incoming message interference that would make your speakers doot and turning it into a call notification flasher.

edit: ah just remembered they also had tiny ones that powered the LED from the RF signal itself

https://i.imgur.com/Velfz4i.mp4

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/comments/2bknft/what_are_these_flashing_cell_phone_stickers/

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 1, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

3g is getting dropped in the UK and I hope that means that the godforsaken Edge network is going as well, that was/is a terrible 2.5G or something and is absolute poo poo

Sagebrush posted:

memory unlocked!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the metaverse

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the metaverse

lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Web 3.0!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

People not realizing that NFTs were just a giant grifting / money laundering scheme the whole time

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Donald Trump's Very Big Very Important Cannot Miss announcement that turned out to just be NFTs he's selling

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Volmarias posted:

Donald Trump's Very Big Very Important Cannot Miss announcement that turned out to just be NFTs he's selling

yeah but if you bought enough of them you got a piece of his suit from his arraignment!!!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the metaverse

people still say the “metaverse” is inevitable because people want it and my dude the people have very clearly shown they do not want it

also, apple’s vr headset

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

njsykora posted:

also, apple’s vr headset

hows that thing selling anyway?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it's not yet

i think them highlighting some weird hyper-sports guy with the nba app showing a dozen virtual screens is funny to imagine irl. some dude's wife walks into the den and he's just pivoting shouting odds like some minority report b-roll

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

Volmarias posted:

People not realizing that NFTs were just a giant grifting / money laundering scheme the whole time

Early on, NFTs seemed like an interesting and promising way of representing and encouraging patronage.

Anyways, they immediately became gold plated funko pops for unfuckable men who have net worths exceeding $1m

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

I'm always excited when someone figures out a new way to pay and encourage up and coming artists. So I guess it hurt extra hard that NFTs are basically the most tasteless and lovely form of pop art possible (trading cards but for people who daily drive a clapped out g wagon)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

blink polyfill posted:

Early on, NFTs seemed like an interesting and promising way of representing and encouraging patronage.

no they didn't

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i thought they were going to be used more like event tickets and poo poo. what happened was somehow even dumber

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

They went above and beyond with the interstitial animations on this thing, back when people cared about their craft...

Sorry about giving you a crick neck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXCbcJAeTAA

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

They went above and beyond with the interstitial animations on this thing, back when people cared about their craft...

Sorry about giving you a crick neck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXCbcJAeTAA

I had a little device with this ui and screen. I think it had a keyboard though and no stylus.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

blink polyfill posted:

I'm always excited when someone figures out a new way to pay and encourage up and coming artists. So I guess it hurt extra hard that NFTs are basically the most tasteless and lovely form of pop art possible (trading cards but for people who daily drive a clapped out g wagon)

There was nothing these tried to "solve" except for trying to force artificial scarcity in the dumbest possible way. This wasn't a new and exciting way to do anything except to waste massive amounts of power to launder dirty money on dumb ape pictures

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

outhole surfer posted:

i thought they were going to be used more like event tickets and poo poo. what happened was somehow even dumber

same tbh

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Volmarias posted:

There was nothing these tried to "solve" except for trying to force artificial scarcity in the dumbest possible way. This wasn't a new and exciting way to do anything except to waste massive amounts of power to launder dirty money on dumb ape pictures

It didn’t start with ugly AI art either. What an NFT was at the start was conflicting and murky exactly like when it was when the term metaverse started getting bandied around. It was the first tweet, clips of basketball games, and other stupid metaphorical concepts. NFTs never got their footing as to their practical use, from inception to their death.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Armitag3 posted:

NFTs Crypto in general never got their footing as to their practical use, from inception to their death.

And sadly, they still refuse to leave.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Volmarias posted:

And sadly, they still refuse to leave.

Of course, there’s money to be made.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Volmarias posted:

i mean i can forgive a lot of stuff on the part of artists. Scarcity is basically their whole loving deal and if theyre not particularly technical its easy to think that NFTs are a good idea. I fielded a bunch of calls from my artiste friends about it and honestly theres something to be said for a digital “certificate of authenticity” or whatever. NFTs were just a bad implementation.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

rotor posted:

i mean i can forgive a lot of stuff on the part of artists. Scarcity is basically their whole loving deal and if theyre not particularly technical its easy to think that NFTs are a good idea. I fielded a bunch of calls from my artiste friends about it and honestly theres something to be said for a digital “certificate of authenticity” or whatever. NFTs were just a bad implementation.

I don’t blame the artists at all. They were lied to and stolen from for the most part. But I also think digital artists have to contend with not having the property of scarcity that physical artworks enjoy. Instead they make their living on commission, selling their time and skill to someone’s specifications. Which is why “AI art” sucks as it’s stripping away even that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Armitag3 posted:

But I also think digital artists have to contend with not having the property of scarcity that physical artworks enjoy. Instead they make their living on commission, selling their time and skill to someone’s specifications.

yes, they do, and its a huge problem for them. Scarcity was the artists best friend.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like yeah the ones still tryin to make a living at it have adapted to the conditions but its still lovely for them

rotor fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 2, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

rotor posted:

yes, they do, and its a huge problem for them. Scarcity was the artists best friend.

Thank goodness we got rid of the VCR, home video was just a nightmare for the studios, to say nothing of the use of Internet distribution of music!

I would be a lot more receptive to the argument that scarcity is the important part if it wasn't being made for centuries. The current constraint artists enjoy is being able to tour physically and sell things like merch. They're selling experiences, not content. Patrons in ancient times were paying for the ability to say that they had a pet artist, not the art itself.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 2, 2024

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
hope taping killed the record industry. :( that's why there's no music any more - music fully disappeared in the 90s and never came back.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

scarcity is your posting's best friend too

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
are any artists working the patreon angle? it's certainly not perfect but i know it's helped a lot of youtubers do their thing

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

anil dash invented nfts, lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cold on a Cob posted:

are any artists working the patreon angle? it's certainly not perfect but i know it's helped a lot of youtubers do their thing

yes a lot, and there’s other stuff like subscribestar and pixiv fanbox doing similar things ready to pick up the bag when (not if) patreon fully fumbles it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Volmarias posted:

I would be a lot more receptive to the argument that scarcity is the important part if it wasn't being made for centuries. The current constraint artists enjoy is being able to tour physically and sell things like merch. They're selling experiences, not content. Patrons in ancient times were paying for the ability to say that they had a pet artist, not the art itself.

flawless copies have only been a thing recently. Scarcity is why you deface the plate after a print run. Patrons in ancient times were paying for a lot of different things, and one of the big ones is that they get original art from their pet artist that no one else has.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sniep posted:

hope taping killed the record industry. :( that's why there's no music any more - music fully disappeared in the 90s and never came back.

home taping never did, but it looks like digital distribution will.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
now i'm just thinking of that incredibly poo poo bored apes cartoon some idiot was trying to get made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

darkwing84 or whatever stole seth green's ape, protecting us all