Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

The Cubs won in 2016, the Astros won in 2017 but it is null because of cans and the Red Sox won in 2018 also cheating and is null.

Ergo the 2016 Cubs are a dynasty.

I'll allow it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

thank you to a supporter of Blue Jays legend and 2016 World Series Champion Mune Kawasaki

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

thank you to a supporter of Blue Jays legend and 2016 World Series Champion Mune Kawasaki

He borrowed sunscreen from me and Poque that year. No big deal.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He borrowed sunscreen from me and Poque that year. No big deal.

Coincidence??

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

He gave it back?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I am going to make a Citizen's Signing of a major league baseball player.

I would like one (1) Cody Bellinger please and thank you

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Watching Jack reacher season 2.

Somebody used the alias Starlin Castro to get a hotel room.

An CIA analyst or something says that that was a a guy who played for the Yankees.

I got so angry at cubs erasure that I had to stop watching.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Imagine wanting your team associated with Starlin Castro

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Starlin Castro auto-reply engage

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bregor posted:

I would like one (1) Cody Bellinger please and thank you

It is interesting that with plenty of teams evidently willing to spend money, it is unanimous among MLB front offices that Bellinger isn't even worth a callback at the price Boras is asking. No one wants to gamble $300M on him.

Maybe it's not that weird though, there are three major free agents left, they are all Boras clients, and there's barely a whisper of rumor around any of them yet. It may just be Boras being Boras and not even getting serious until spring training.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Give Belli 8/$227.5. That's a Heyward contract plus 25%.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It is interesting that with plenty of teams evidently willing to spend money, it is unanimous among MLB front offices that Bellinger isn't even worth a callback at the price Boras is asking. No one wants to gamble $300M on him.

Maybe it's not that weird though, there are three major free agents left, they are all Boras clients, and there's barely a whisper of rumor around any of them yet. It may just be Boras being Boras and not even getting serious until spring training.

It kind of feels like the Yankees and Dodgers were driving the FA market and with Ohtani and Soto done it just left Bellinger with all of those other teams who keep getting mentioned as players looking to improve but not front running anything. So Boras and Bellinger are trying to play it like they’re the big name free agent leaders when that ship has sailed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Yankees have signed no one and still need a pitcher. There are two star pitchers available. The Yankees have shown no real interest as yet in either one. It is probably that Boras is doing what he does and sticking to a ridiculous opening demand all the way until he finally starts to actually negotiate, in February.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

General Bullshit posted:

Lincecum had an insane four years and then his hips just died. :rip:

You could tell with his delivery that his body was gonna undo itself pretty quick.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Yankees have signed no one and still need a pitcher. There are two star pitchers available. The Yankees have shown no real interest as yet in either one. It is probably that Boras is doing what he does and sticking to a ridiculous opening demand all the way until he finally starts to actually negotiate, in February.

I think the Yankees combination of missing out on Yamamoto and giving up a ton of SP depth for Soto could definitely end up being the story of their season. But my point is they and they Dodgers were the front runners in most of these big stories and now that they’re both done (at least with the need for a bat like Ohtani/Soto) the teams like the Mets, Blue Jays, Giants, and Cubs who were being named as other teams don’t seem to be pushing the issue enough for Boras/Bellinger to get them into a big bidding war.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Yankees should bring Monty back

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees haven't done enough to turn over their lineup either. I think they have a much better chance of being able to make the pitching work during the season than they do of getting over lovely preformance and old done players in their everyday lineup which is why they have been dogshit the last few seasons, not the pitching.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

ScottyJSno posted:

Watching Jack reacher season 2.

Somebody used the alias Starlin Castro to get a hotel room.

An CIA analyst or something says that that was a a guy who played for the Yankees.

I got so angry at cubs erasure that I had to stop watching.

i hope you learned an important lesson (don't watch jacks reacher)

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Boras wants to convince the cubs there's another team in the majors willing to spend as much on bellinger as they are and I honestly don't think there is.

Who needs an outfielder and is even pretending to compete next year? Mariners/twins/maybe angels/marlins/cubs

Which of those is willing to go as far as even 8-225ish, let alone the 300+ Bellinger is apparently going for?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wander Franco reportedly arrested in the Dominican Republic.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Article from the Times: https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2024/01/01/wander-franco-summons-dominican-republic-new-lawyers/

It’s a bit weirder than that as usual thanks to the DR legal system - Diario Libre and Héctor Gómez have been reliable on the stuff going on in the DR. They’re saying he’s being held for 48 hours and expect an official arraignment to drop on Wednesday.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Boras wants to convince the cubs there's another team in the majors willing to spend as much on bellinger as they are and I honestly don't think there is.

Who needs an outfielder and is even pretending to compete next year? Mariners/twins/maybe angels/marlins/cubs

Which of those is willing to go as far as even 8-225ish, let alone the 300+ Bellinger is apparently going for?

Pretty much, he's trying to get Cody a contract as if he were coming off his 2019 MVP year, rather than a nice bounce back year elevated by some flukey batted ball data after being a miserably bad hitter for two seasons. Like yeah I get that he's relatively young and brings a GG at multiple positions but nobody's throwing $300M at him (feel free to quote this when somebody throws $300M at him, lol) so it's just this stupid as gently caress standoff where I imagine nobody is offering even close to what the current asking price is.

That said basically all the outstanding non-Japanese top shelf free agents (Bellinger, Snell, Montgomery, Hoskins, Chapman) are Boras clients, so he's got quite a bit of leverage right now. He's also very good at his job and getting his guys paid, so I would not be surprised if Bellinger's final contract ultimately starts with a 2.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheFlyingLlama posted:

The Marlins aren't even going to bring Jorge Soler back, let alone pay out the rear end for Bellinger

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Article from the Times: https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2024/01/01/wander-franco-summons-dominican-republic-new-lawyers/

It’s a bit weirder than that as usual thanks to the DR legal system - Diario Libre and Héctor Gómez have been reliable on the stuff going on in the DR. They’re saying he’s being held for 48 hours and expect an official arraignment to drop on Wednesday.
Well he got arrested because he failed to appear for the summons earlier this week. That would also happen in the US justice system if you fail to appear for arraignment on a criminal charge.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Montgomery’s the only big ticket guy out there I’d actually like the Cubs to sign. Not that they’re going to do anything close to that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He's not even going to be that expensive

Are they talking about bringing Stroman back?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well he got arrested because he failed to appear for the summons earlier this week. That would also happen in the US justice system if you fail to appear for arraignment on a criminal charge.

I meant the part where they also detained the accuser for 48 hours? I don't think they do that here. Anyway, we'll know exactly what they're charging him with on Wednesday, I guess.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Cubs? No that costs money and it's an election year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

I meant the part where they also detained the accuser for 48 hours? I don't think they do that here. Anyway, we'll know exactly what they're charging him with on Wednesday, I guess.
You can detain people on a charge temporarily under some circumstances.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s honestly been so little chatter in the Cubs media sphere…on anything. I don’t think there’s a chance in hell Stroman is back.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheFlyingLlama posted:

The Twins are absolutely not going to spend the money it will take to sign Bellinger

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

The Cubs? No that costs money and it's an election year.

67% of Cubs World Series wins are in election years

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The last time the Cubs won the World Series Donald Trump was elected president, what kind of monster do you have to be to want the Cubs to win it in 2024?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Maybe this time Taft will win again

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Somehow, NIxon returned.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

TheFlyingLlama posted:

The Astros badly need a left fielder but they don't give contracts longer than 5 years which I'm sure will work out great in conjunction with emptying the farm for trades to try to extend their window

In a few years they'll be basement dwellers again which I'm sure will make a lot of people happy

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

Somehow, NIxon returned.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

DeepDickPizza posted:

There’s honestly been so little chatter in the Cubs media sphere…on anything. I don’t think there’s a chance in hell Stroman is back.

I see nothing linking the Cubs to any interest, at this time, to any pitcher.
I know they're too smart to think their defense is going to be elite every year and that Justin Steele's going to be a Cy Young candidate every year.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bregor posted:

Starlin Castro auto-reply engage

This never gets old, especially because of the face he makes at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Canned Sunshine posted:

This never gets old, especially because of the face he makes at the end

Absolutely, it's all five stages of grief in a single gif.