Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Orange Devil posted:

We miss our FF, don't we folks? We do, we do, we miss him.

That's CEP for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
occasional women on the internet may be sacrificed to FF's ire if we get posts that are regularly as good as his.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

crtc cancon rules also apply to c-spam

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

mods when ff starts posting again this should get auto posted to all cspam threads

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FrenlyFrenchBoi/status/1741487141291462675?t=ICfbbc2v_11LH27aEijWhQ&s=19

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
That’s dumb as poo poo, who would feed the fish?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

seems legit I bet the pentagon would give you a couple billion to give it a shot. Looking forward to our future fish people mercenary tankers.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/axios/status/1741789037038370960?s=20

Behind the Curtain: U.S. not ready for era of robotic, AI world wars

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

fits my needs posted:

we must close the ai and robot gap!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

This explosion would be quite impressive based upon my experiences of shooting cans of beans with 30-06

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Orange Devil posted:

That’s dumb as poo poo, who would feed the fish?

you idiot, the fish are meant to feed the soldiers!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

ArmedZombie posted:

we must close the ai and robot gap!

Sure, increase your basic R&D to GDP ratio back to where it was during JFK era, which was much higher than what it is now.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 15:36 on Jan 1, 2024

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Sure, increase your basic R&D to GDP ratio back to where it was during JFK era, which was much higher than what it is now.

you mean the era when the soviets had 4 icbms and the US had 150?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

crepeface posted:

you idiot, the fish are meant to feed the soldiers!

Then what about the emotional support?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

fits my needs posted:

we are not ready for an era of regular wars either

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

fits my needs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oazwTDeqF54

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

sort of a mixed bag here. Not an endorsement.

I knew I'd heard this term "fourth generation warfare" before

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Lind

quote:

Lind also wrote Victoria: A Novel of 4th Generation War in which a group of "Christian Marines" leads an armed resistance against Cultural Marxism as the US federal government collapses.

lmao

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Then what about the emotional support?

It prevents hangriness.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

stephenthinkpad posted:

setting the "neoliberal rot" slider of my nation state management tab to max in the 4x game instead.

it doesn't provide any gameplay advantage but i like to roleplay a real western empire

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Neolib spent all the R&D points on "financial market leveraging innovation."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Scientists have discovered:

Disney vacation club timeshare condos in Florida

Effect:
Tax revenue +
Snake oil +
Service fees +

[OK]

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The US doesn't have to worry about drones or AI because it cut China off from high end video cards for a couple months :missionaccomplished: (this should exist)

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

america has the lead in chatgpt and nft technology

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySlippers posted:

The US doesn't have to worry about drones or AI because it cut China off from high end video cards for a couple months :missionaccomplished: (this should exist)

I just remembered when the UK tried to sanction HikVision and then rescinded it after like five minutes because they realized nobody else makes CCTV cameras

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ed_fin/status/1741885452859187497

i can see the impending psychic damage from the grounding of the us airline industry here

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Danann posted:

i can see the impending psychic damage from the grounding of the us airline industry here

What is pc in this context? Piece doesn't make sense and it seems unlikely to be percent.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Danann posted:

like so much this will be entirely self inflicted. the usage of air travel by Americans is heavily pareto /power law biased. a small number of people going to a small number of cities is the vast majority of the total air traffic. A tight loop of high speed rail in the northeast corridor could readily replace most of it. lower carbon emissions, lower costs, less disruption risk, etc. a no brainer on several levels.

but that would mean discomforting the present grifters so the obviously strategically sound decision is ignored

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

palindrome posted:

I like the idea of space mineral exploitation. It's obviously out of reach and completely infeasible but it's fun to imagine spaceX moving a huge chunk of gold, platinum, or emeralds into near earth orbit. But then rather than actually land it on earth or use the material for manufacturing, it becomes a threat used to manipulate market prices on spreadsheets.

"Better keep buying gold at spot price or I'll crash the entire market by bringing in hundreds of tons of space gold!" That kind of idea.

so, the thing is that what makes mining feasible, and how we get “mining strikes” and “seams” of minerals is that billions of years ago vast mats of microorganisms concentrated those elements in a location. you’ve got all sorts of stuff in parts per billion concentrations in sea water and algae would bring that water in and excrete the other elements, resulting in higher and higher concentrations over time that would get locked in rock until we came along to dig it out. you can see the same process today in things like bog iron.

anyways the point is that the concentrations that make mining profitable are the result of ancient biological processes. and those wouldn’t have happened in space what with there not being life out there to do it.

so while it is true that there is gold and platinum and uranium and titanium and all that out there, it is still in the original parts per billion concentrations. you won’t get gold nuggets, you will instead get a few micrograms per liter.

so yeah, asteroid mining won’t be a thing.

palindrome posted:

It's cool though cause once you're out of orbit, everything you escaped from is downhill from you. The moon could gently caress up earth big time just from the kinetic energy advantage it has. Start throwing mass down at the planet from your WW4 style moon/orbital station fortress.

while it is true that going “down” just takes a nudge, the thing is you generally want to hit a specific thing you are targeting and not just to hit anything “down”. And that requires approximately the same amount of delta-v as it takes to put something up at the high location in the first place. so there really isn’t an advantage, unless your plan is just gross bombardment to devastate the biosphere

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

frozenphil posted:

What is pc in this context? Piece doesn't make sense and it seems unlikely to be percent.

percent makes the most sense, saying by 2023 Chinese imports account for 5.7% of the jet fuel in the US west coast market.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

frozenphil posted:

Outside of the US percent is per cent (pc)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Thanks! Weird that I've never seen it written that way in all these years.
Also, America will lose WW3 because no one living in America gives a poo poo about America past making a buck. I'm incredibly impressed with what I see China doing and I wish them all the best as there is no chance America or Americans will ever be part of the solution.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF-aTkG9rGc

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

the car dealership down the street has a bigger flag :fsmug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocx_XkUWmEQ

makes me want to play kaiserreich again

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 18:44 on Jan 2, 2024

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/orikron/status/1742255031200477494

quote:

America has such a Mickey Mouse economy, it’s unreal.

Basically a big imperialist speculative bubble inherently reliant on world hegemony over international exchange and globally-ordered value chain hierarchies.

It’s a militaristic house of cards, a geoeconomic paper tiger.

the us economy is like 40% excel spreadsheets lmao

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Sounds like a great time to be a defense contractor, surely the warmongering imperial hegemon wouldn't let anything interfere with its ability to warmonger

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i mean, to be fair, the US category is Finance, Real Estate, and Rentals whereas the China graph has that broken up into 3 sections. If you add those three sections together they equal just about the same amount as the US one.

industry still massive though, obvi

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grilled Beef posted:

so, the thing is that what makes mining feasible, and how we get “mining strikes” and “seams” of minerals is that billions of years ago vast mats of microorganisms concentrated those elements in a location. you’ve got all sorts of stuff in parts per billion concentrations in sea water and algae would bring that water in and excrete the other elements, resulting in higher and higher concentrations over time that would get locked in rock until we came along to dig it out. you can see the same process today in things like bog iron.

anyways the point is that the concentrations that make mining profitable are the result of ancient biological processes. and those wouldn’t have happened in space what with there not being life out there to do it.

so while it is true that there is gold and platinum and uranium and titanium and all that out there, it is still in the original parts per billion concentrations. you won’t get gold nuggets, you will instead get a few micrograms per liter.

so yeah, asteroid mining won’t be a thing.

while it is true that going “down” just takes a nudge, the thing is you generally want to hit a specific thing you are targeting and not just to hit anything “down”. And that requires approximately the same amount of delta-v as it takes to put something up at the high location in the first place. so there really isn’t an advantage, unless your plan is just gross bombardment to devastate the biosphere

Just go back to making everything out of wood. We can plant more tree farms.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
asteroid mining is only a thing if you have enough poo poo already out of the gravity well that it there's value in getting water, carbon, silicates and iron without having to launch it

mining asteroids to throw any of that poo poo back down to earth is and forever will be eminently pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

RaySmuckles posted:

i mean, to be fair, the US category is Finance, Real Estate, and Rentals whereas the China graph has that broken up into 3 sections. If you add those three sections together they equal just about the same amount as the US one.

industry still massive though, obvi

what are the three you're counting up?
  • 9.5% Financial Intermediation
  • 6.1% Real Estate
  • 3.2% Leasing and business Services?
= 18.8%

you'd probably have to count "Professional and business services" of the US if you're comparing
  • 20.2% Finance, insurance, real estate, rental and leasing
  • 13.1% Professional and business services

= 33.3%