Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A Mechanical Turk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The part in Pluto where the Turkish robot gets owned hosed me up, ngl

please tell me that the turkish robot was red and/or wearing a fez

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It did the thing where it keeps taking back the ice cream but it did it to the wrong guy

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

he is a wrestler, isn't that also a turkish stereotype

oh, and he also has a ton of kids, but it's fine, they're all adopted

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

they told him Anatolia is Greek and he could not compute.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I wish my dad was a robot

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tokin opposition posted:

I wish my dad was a robot

Your real dad was

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The part in Pluto where the Turkish robot gets owned hosed me up, ngl

Do Mechanical Turks Dream of Vienna?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Do Mechanical Turks Dream of Vienna?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
What hosed me up was "come back now North Number two. You'll be late for piano practice".

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Islamic Shock posted:

What hosed me up was "come back now North Number two. You'll be late for piano practice".

easily the hardest subplot of the series and it never comes back to it, lol

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

easily the hardest subplot of the series and it never comes back to it, lol
Right? Excellent show overall, my main criticism is it'd be nice if at least one of the seven was clearly an evil bastard but I guess that'd be a subplot that'd stretch the whole thing out by another two episodes.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Right? Excellent show overall, my main criticism is it'd be nice if at least one of the seven was clearly an evil bastard but I guess that'd be a subplot that'd stretch the whole thing out by another two episodes.

it’s drawing from the well of established Astroboy canon, so there’s only so much spin that could be put on the big Seven, unlike how the blue knight was adapted into the killer robot.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it’s drawing from the well of established Astroboy canon, so there’s only so much spin that could be put on the big Seven, unlike how the blue knight was adapted into the killer robot.

That's also not how Urasawa rolls at all.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

This thread convinced me to watch the first episode and :qq:

I also appreciate the cameo by Black Jack's legs.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genericnick posted:

That's also not how Urasawa rolls at all.

I reckon there's real core issue with one of the Seven being a bad person because it doesn't gel with the central themes. The robots are ultimately instruments given a human-like will, so all of their values have either been programmed into or projected onto them. Even the robots designed to be weapons still have an essentially good nature because they're both bound by the laws of robotics and going through an existential struggle as weapons who now have to go on existing in peace time. The robot can only be as good or as bad as we make them to be. The essential agency that drives all events is a human agency.

That dichotomy is a microcosm of the geopolitical context with the war on Persia. The world community was essentially instrumentalized by the imperial interests of Thracia, and the soldiers who carried out the massacres in Persia were themselves tools handled and directed by the Thracian government. The only difference between the general who gets blasted by the ion cannon and the robots who served in the war, is that the human general isn't bound by ironclad laws. Even as a tool he engaged his agency to become an instrument of Thracia. That was a choice the robots ultimately weren't allowed.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I probably enjoyed it all the more by knowing precisely dick about Astroboy, thus having no idea the tropes I encountered were tropes for the most part.

Pitch posted:

This thread convinced me to watch the first episode and :qq:

I also appreciate the cameo by Black Jack's legs.
It's really good if your brain is hosed up to where you can't cry normally like me

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Finished 16 Bit Sensation. I liked it and would recommend it is my review.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm about 100 chapters into Jujutsu Kaizen and is there going to be a heel change or tone shift?
The series starts like it wants to set up a shoenen deconstruction about how everyone dies, alone, screaming but then [Spoiler] nobody who matters dies, and when one finally does it simply doesn't matter[/spoilers] could you start playing off these set ups already?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
sounds to me it's doing what it intended, but nah, it's pretty much that throughout, with the thing that life's worth living to pass on your will to others

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I just feel like they could do so much more with the premise trauma=power and that the strongest in existence is so because he multiples his negative emotions turning them positive

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh nevermind I read the Shibuya arc

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh nevermind I read the Shibuya arc

lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I finished Call of the Night and now I’m annoyed there isn’t a second season.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Per a quick inspection I seem to have left off One Piece at episode 897/1088 in 2019

I guess it's time to see what happened (if anything) in the last .... 5 years

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wolfs posted:

Per a quick inspection I seem to have left off One Piece at episode 897/1088 in 2019

wano finally wrapped up, that’s what happened.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Alright I'm up to date on jjk.
we've entered the hxh "fights are explained by paragraphs of exposition" stage where there's chapters of the cast just watching a fight on TV

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

makes sense jjk sometimes feels like we have HxH at home

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

There's a reason everyone compares the shibuya arc to the chimera ant arc

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stairmaster posted:

Oh my God yes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Cursed energy is just nen

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I barely understand half the ability explanations in JJK tbqh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

I barely understand half the ability explanations in JJK tbqh

They are very unclear, yeah. And the way their rules are applied isn't as clear and "logical" as in HxH. To take Hakari as an example, his power supposedly depends on taking a risk, but in practice he literally just always triggers the "infinite cursed energy + constant RCT" effect, so that's effectively what his ability actually is.

I think the only JJK concept I understand well despite it sounding weird is "reversed cursed energy" (which I understand as "positive energy" which is why it heals you*). But all the stuff with domains is often confusing/unclear to me (and in a bad way where I'm pretty sure there are other ways to more easily explain the same stuff).

I still enjoy JJK a lot, though. "HxH at home" is still a good thing for a manga to be.

* but this is also kinda weird, because you'd imagine that it would have more applications than just self-healing - after all, it's literally just the flip-side of cursed energy

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i forgot how fun eminence in shadow is as a 'turn your brain off and enjoy the spectacle' media, i enjoyed the first five episodes very much as i binged them. i also forgot what a fun fictional psychopath the mc is.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Finished up the last few episodes of Zombie 100. I didn't really like the final arc with the edgy characters but overall it was a solid show. I wonder how it would've been remembered if it didn't fall into production hell and end on the weird release it ended up with.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wolfs posted:

you've got some very good episodes to look forward to

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Stairmaster posted:

Well they shouldn’t. That’s a terrible comparison.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Anything good for the Winter season coming up?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

KomradeX posted:

Anything good for the Winter season coming up?

yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXfVHMILKJg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
"If you don't watch this you should kill yourself" tier :