Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Am I getting screwed by RNG or something because I'm just about to do Kiava Gamma and I've only gotten the drat Imperial Navy vendor halfway to the first rank? The rate I get void trophies feels incredibly anemic compared to everything else so I've only gotten a few upgrades dropped from fights.

Is this normal or is there something I'm missing here?

No you always get maybe one 'big' drop and a couple small ones per fight. You have to explore the entire map more or less to get the Navy rep up, plus any colony projects that boost Navy rep. I'm at 8 going into Act 3 having tried to find literally everything, and rep goes up to 20 in Act 2.

Frog Act posted:

Respec is for companions too right? So I’m not being a gigantic dumbass and ruining things for them from the get go too?

Mechanical confusion aside I’m a big 40k nerd but drifted away from the hobby as it got worse ideologically and otherwise and this is the first game since mechanicus that feels as if the writers actually thought about the setting and read the older materials instead of being a weird self-cosplay unalloyed by self awareness or satire. It reminds me of the Warhammer Monthly comics of old, my absolute favorite WH media, the sort of combination of self awareness and serious treatment of the world as one that deserves to be made coherent most contemporary stuff fails to manifest

All problems aside they absolutely understand the original writing intent. Your "lover of people, bringer of hope" option for a big celebration is to give people an extra day's ration and some batteries, which is then praised as an unbelievable act of charity that will talked about for generations.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Nessus posted:

How does one access or install Toybox? I am getting enough FOMO regarding guns and respecs that I wish to know this lore.

You can get it off of Nexusmods or off of the Owlcat Discord, which will usually be more up to date, just follow the install instructions, which are to unzip the file into a particular folder.

You can also get it off the Steam workshop, but apparently workshop mods have some weird extra steps to get working, so it's a bit more work than just manually installing them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can get a lot of Navy rep from colony projects, and some optional battles give a shitload. You’re to early for those though.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

pentyne posted:

No you always get maybe one 'big' drop and a couple small ones per fight. You have to explore the entire map more or less to get the Navy rep up, plus any colony projects that boost Navy rep. I'm at 8 going into Act 3 having tried to find literally everything, and rep goes up to 20 in Act 2.

All problems aside they absolutely understand the original writing intent. Your "lover of people, bringer of hope" option for a big celebration is to give people an extra day's ration and some batteries, which is then praised as an unbelievable act of charity that will talked about for generations.

It's a bit weird, but the different reps have different caps and rep requirements for each level. The navy one only goes up to like 14, mercifully, but does still take a lot of rep to get there.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
edit: nevermind, problem solved

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol when you're discussing what to do about the evil warp radio astropath machine Argenta suggests you set up a new order of monks to chant and yell at the machine 24/7 to scare the demons in the warp. A+ writing understands the setting completely.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pentyne posted:

And it doesn't even impact your profit factor! Holding a formal reception for some visiting navigators impacts your treasury more than this!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Buschmaki posted:

Why does the ship not face the way it's.projected to in combat anymore

There is a bug where the ship will turn at the end of projected movement if you are running at higher than normal combat speed. It'll even interrupt planned broadsides that should have worked.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Lol when you're discussing what to do about the evil warp radio astropath machine Argenta suggests you set up a new order of monks to chant and yell at the machine 24/7 to scare the demons in the warp. A+ writing understands the setting completely.

You bet your rear end I set up a Christian Rock radio station broadcasting straight into the warp 24/7

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Finished the game. By the end I was using toybox to just end any combat I decided was a waste of time. Nothing in the game, including the bosses who are given abilities to try to counter this, can match up to pumped up Argenta unleashing insane damage before most enemies can even act. The final boss only got turns in because he could interrupt Argenta during hey myriad of bonus turns to do things, including simply going "stop killing me plz" and imprisoning Argenta to try (futily) to make her stop. I don't think the combat system is recoverable so long as there are so many abilities that stack with themselves infinitely, Argenta spam is just the easiest example of abusing these.

On the other hand, I think they really nailed the 40k experience. I couldn't believe the amount of ending slides accounting for my character's actions and even the fates of random NPCs I had forgotten about. I also really liked how the seemingly random events that keep happening to you and even members of your party finally had a sensible explanation that tied everything together. Story wise probably my favorite Owlcat, they even finally succeeded in having no party members I hated even though I executed half of them for heresy.

I'm probably feeling generous right now because of how blown away I am by the insane amount of ending slides accounting for every random thing (why couldn't BG3 do this????), but I'd give the game a solid 8/10. The bugs sucked but I just waited for patches once I hit the rough spots so I wasn't too impacted by them. I'll probably play again in a path that doesn't execute everyone once the DLC is out.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 2, 2024

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

pentyne posted:

Yeah I haven’t encountered Warhammer writing this good since I first read the Ciaphas Cain books or Pat Mills’ take on The Redeemer, which achieve that same kind of synthesis of totally outrageous over the top scale and xenophobia with a world that feels legible and actually inhabited by people. It’s been awhile since a CRPG grabbed my interest like this, I got bored with BG3 at the end of the first act, hated SF etc so this is just a major breath of fresh air

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Oh yeah, and despite focusing only on the religious people and the robot people (and the Navy, but they're on their own track), I did not get enough rep with ANY faction to have them help me in the final sequence. The ending slides didn't mention any positive ties with my line and even had the Navy be suspicious of me and possibly planning to invade my territory. I gave you every trophy from every space combat I did you assholes! They definitely need to look again at faction rep.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

Oh yeah, and despite focusing only on the religious people and the robot people (and the Navy, but they're on their own track), I did not get enough rep with ANY faction to have them help me in the final sequence. The ending slides didn't mention any positive ties with my line and even had the Navy be suspicious of me and possibly planning to invade my territory. I gave you every trophy from every space combat I did you assholes! They definitely need to look again at faction rep.

Seriously, the math doesn't check out. Literally all the possible rep boosts in the game funneled into 1 faction at the expense of all other is not enough for them to side with you for the endgame. Same with the iconoclast/dogmatic/heretic, there are rank 4 required choices in Act 4 but you could not have reached rank 4 in anything even if you had exclusively picked a single type of alignment.

Someone posted a while back the Necron Void trophies, the most valuable ranked Navy cargo, doesn't even appear until past the point you can still submit stuff for reputation boosts.

They're supposed to 'rebalance' it along with investigating the skill check difficulty, but its unlikely to be properly fixed as Owlcat prefers those crazy difficult number gatekeep situations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It’s possible that things would be more coherent with DLC I.e more opportunities to earn zealotry and rep before/during act 4.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Arglebargle III posted:

For all the game’s flaws, it gets the inherent ludicrousness of 40K 100%.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

pentyne posted:

Seriously, the math doesn't check out. Literally all the possible rep boosts in the game funneled into 1 faction at the expense of all other is not enough for them to side with you for the endgame. Same with the iconoclast/dogmatic/heretic, there are rank 4 required choices in Act 4 but you could not have reached rank 4 in anything even if you had exclusively picked a single type of alignment.

I've posted about this in other threads but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if the QA team just get told or have been generally taught over time to just use dev tools to get themselves what they need and then when/if they report that gaining it the normal actual intended way feels awful get told that it'll be dealt with later or that it's probably fine. That's been my experience at a few places, actually playing the game as it's intended to be played is looked at as wasting time even when it results in stuff like this.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I tried to make a mod loving with reward thresholds but there were issues with the sample mod serializer or some poo poo that caused a soft freeze on vendor access

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Wow Act 3 really sucks. I'd read people's spoilers so I knew what was going to happen going into it but my characters are really not very good without their gear or any access to healing.
I sure love having my MC and Argenta completely welped in seconds in a fight and just having to be Abelard for ages and ages slowly cutting down things with this lovely stuff I have

Also how come I can't use any Eldar/Dark Eldar armour? I don't seem to be able to find a proficiency for it at all

Taear fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 2, 2024

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I’m winding down into the wrap-up for the game and I’ll hand it to them that they had some really interesting ideas for the narrative, but it’s pretty “unearned” in the sense that they kind of just dump it all out in the last 5 minutes and there’s just so much pointless padding in A2-A4 that it just doesn’t come together in a very natural way.

It really feels like trying too hard to be “big” didn’t do the game any favors.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Taear posted:

Wow Act 3 really sucks. I'd read people's spoilers so I knew what was going to happen going into it but my characters are really not very good without their gear or any access to healing.
I sure love having my MC and Argenta completely welped in seconds in a fight and just having to be Abelard for ages and ages slowly cutting down things with this lovely stuff I have

Also how come I can't use any Eldar/Dark Eldar armour? I don't seem to be able to find a proficiency for it at all

not a 40k buff but my understanding is dark elf armor literally involves flaying and putting hooks into your skin so you can be in pain at all times so i get why it might not be possible to make humans proficient in it

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Mad Wack posted:

not a 40k buff but my understanding is dark elf armor literally involves flaying and putting hooks into your skin so you can be in pain at all times so i get why it might not be possible to make humans proficient in it

In the last 40,000 years, the Dark Eldar have dominated the webway, which it has united into one starzone, Commoragh. The Dark Eldar have origins from the Fall of the Eldar in which 10 of the craftworlds revolted against each rules. All craftworlds except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in Commoragh, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwa

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

FeculentWizardTits posted:

In the last 40,000 years, the Dark Eldar have dominated the webway, which it has united into one starzone, Commoragh. The Dark Eldar have origins from the Fall of the Eldar in which 10 of the craftworlds revolted against each rules. All craftworlds except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in Commoragh, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwa

what are you babbling about

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

I have gotten the Dodged 500 times achievement once per character per session

This isn't really a bug, it's just the game pinging you as you get another dodge towards the total number required - the critical hit achievement does the same. I can't answer as to why it doesn't seem to do it every single time though.

This is hardly the only game that does that, though in this instance the game doesn't keep a bar at the bottom of the achievement to indicate your current progress like a number of them. Possibly because you have get them all in a single playthrough rather than it just being a static "line goes up permanently" kind of achievement.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Buschmaki posted:

the fourth stimpire
woe unto your family

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I believe the Dark Eldar basically are the Fourth Stimpire.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Taear posted:

Probably because Eldar/Dark Eldar are skinny lanky xenos and you're a clumsy stocky mon-keigh human.

No really, I think it actually makes sense that you can't wear armor made for aliens because it straight up doesn't fit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My MC was an Officer so I was able to go full murdermode the moment I got Argenta. This was before the burst-fire arch-militant fix though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

I believe he's saying the Dark Eldar are comically purple villains and also they're badly-written.

They've come some ways from their original introduction as bondage elves but not that far. Sometimes a good writer will get their hands on them and we get transelfan cyberpunk dystopia and parts of Comorragh sinking into the warp. Then a bad writer gets their hooks into them and they're extremely horny for stuff like armor that stabs you while you wear it. One of the worst eye-roll-inducing ideas introduced in the Era Indomitus fluff is that there is a literal door to the warp in Comorragh made of brass that got busted open so now demons can get in. As if the original architects once they got done building a hyperspace pocket dimension network decided they needed to install a literal door this time, as mystic portals felt played-out, and they decided to connect it to hell. That's architecture.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Act 3 stuff

Apparently there was a point in the betas where you could rescue all of your companions in Act 3, but at some point they changed it so, aside from the new companions you can pick up in Commorragh, you can only rescue the ones you brought with you.

So, if Yrliet is dead/never recruited or you told her to go gently caress herself since she betrayed you, and, not knowing how the events of the act are going to unfold, you choose a party of Cassia, Pasqal, Jae, Heinrix, and Idira (companions which aren't available until after the first arena fight at the earliest), you can get stuck with no companions for the Malice/Commissar fight and first Arena fight.

Unless the game has something to compensate for this situation which I'm not aware of since I was lucky enough to have Yrliet and Abelard in my party when I started act 3, I have to imagine this is effectively a softlock

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

I believe he's saying the Dark Eldar are comically purple villains and also they're badly-written.

They've come some ways from their original introduction as bondage elves but not that far. Sometimes a good writer will get their hands on them and we get transelfan cyberpunk dystopia and parts of Comorragh sinking into the warp. Then a bad writer gets their hooks into them and they're extremely horny for stuff like armor that stabs you while you wear it. One of the worst eye-roll-inducing ideas introduced in the Era Indomitus fluff is that there is a literal door to the warp in Comorragh made of brass that got busted open so now demons can get in. As if the original architects once they got done building a hyperspace pocket dimension network decided they needed to install a literal door this time, as mystic portals felt played-out, and they decided to connect it to hell. That's architecture.

I dunno, some dark elf bigshot ordering a literal brass door created in order to throw people directly into the warp and then slam it shut behind them with sounds pretty in character for Commorragh. Or the empire that preceded it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I bet magnus did nothing wrong while making that door.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Space elves are dumbasses but they are also too smart for their own good. Imagine you were clever enough to find the perfect way to slam your cock in your car door. That is how the space elves do.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

FeculentWizardTits posted:

The worst kind of heresy that triples every second.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

I think the reason you can't wear it is you arent tall or thin enough, on account of them not having exactly human proportions.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Heinrix doesn't want us to leave the Kiava Gamma Manufactorum during Act 2. Everything is dead, we killed it all and there's nothing left for me to click on that I haven't clicked already. Should I just tell him to shut up and leave anyway?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

If you didn't find his specific story beat (it's very obviously his) then you have missed something. Its a door somewhere. May have to talk to a cowering worker in a corner of the map to progress.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Heinrix doesn't want us to leave the Kiava Gamma Manufactorum during Act 2. Everything is dead, we killed it all and there's nothing left for me to click on that I haven't clicked already. Should I just tell him to shut up and leave anyway?

Click the center pillar of the rotating platform.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

making the space marine mechanically consistent with the other characters was a bad idea. They should have just General Leo'd him up with special powers and OP poo poo and then also throw a lot of OP enemies at you for a brief chaotic section with him. Then kill him or send him on his way. It kinda goes against the whole idea of space marines and what people like about them to make him a normal rear end party member. It's why they just let the recruitable dragons be OP in Might and Magic 8. It's no longer fun to hire a dragon if they are balanced normal to everything else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Speaking of mechanically weird decisions, why are there weapons classed as "exotic"?

You get literally no talent benefits from them, the only perk seems to be they have no equipment requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FuzzySlippers posted:

making the space marine mechanically consistent with the other characters was a bad idea. They should have just General Leo'd him up with special powers and OP poo poo and then also throw a lot of OP enemies at you for a brief chaotic section with him. Then kill him or send him on his way. It kinda goes against the whole idea of space marines and what people like about them to make him a normal rear end party member. It's why they just let the recruitable dragons be OP in Might and Magic 8. It's no longer fun to hire a dragon if they are balanced normal to everything else.

Eh, Space Marines are basically plot powered and are as super heroic or as chumpy as the plot demands.

Hell in tabletop they’re extremely unremarkable.