Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Now that is a true :pcgaming: (with the exception of the uncluttered desktop)

I had a very similar desk back in the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

kazil posted:

what's the Star Wars equivalent of a Gollum game?

Masters of Teras Kasi

Alternatively the Obi Wan game because it's a character-action game about a dumb character no one cares about

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YXPw4htnQ

Nah I'm just kidding that one's awesome

Imagine not linking the truly iconic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xJqkzngBI

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

kazil posted:

Maybe the episode one tie in game

mystes
May 31, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YXPw4htnQ

Nah I'm just kidding that one's awesome
you'd really think disney+ would have turned this into a tv show by now

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

kazil posted:

repiv posted:

when is david cage going to release his star wars game they announced 5 years ago

im not going to buy it but it will probably be funny to consume second hand

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It makes me irrationally angry that they couldn’t write a line that fit better than “I’m so happy the carbonite’s gone.”

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The lowest ranked Star Wars game on Metacritic is the Episode II: Attack of the Clones game for the Game Boy Advance, but I think that's not quite the right spirit since it's just a bad movie tie-in rather than a bizarre choice of subject that is also a terrible execution.

Maybe we need someone to step up and attempt a dramatic action adventure game starring Salicious B. Crumb.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Elan Sleazebaggano will finally have his day

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
The Max Rebo Band has broken up, and it's up to you, playing as Max Rebo himself, to put it back together in time for their big gig on Coruscant!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If Dark Forces remastered does good they’ve said they’ll keep going I think…

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I look forward to picking up dark forces remastered in a fanatical bundle 3 years from now

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I look forward to picking it up on release, because Nightdive owns and so do most of the games they work on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oblivion was really disappointing after Morrowind. Sure everything looked more polished and some of the jank was filed off. But they also crippled the amazing magic systems and had a boring generic looking setting.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Soul Glo posted:

yeah, phantasy star online ruled

PSO was really great and I feel like the sequels didn’t have the same style or aesthetic and it’s a bummer

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Cartoon Man posted:

If Dark Forces remastered does good they’ve said they’ll keep going I think…

I played through Dark Forces for the first time like a month before the remaster was announced and I thought it was great. It has one glaring flaw: limited lives. After three deaths, you have to restart an entire level. I ended up using cheats on the last couple levels purely because I did not want to chance having to replay the whole level because I botched a jump. If the game just had a normal checkpoint system, it would have aged perfectly (except for some of the level design, but that's every old shooter).

I tried to move on to Jedi Knight and fell off pretty quick because the controls for the powers are really awkward and the level design is really rough. I don't think Nightdive tends to touch game balance or level design but I wonder if improved controls would be enough for me to like it.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy both had recent Switch ports, so guessing they wouldn't be getting a remaster any time soon, at least not of the kind Nightdive does.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Jossar posted:

The Max Rebo Band has broken up, and it's up to you, playing as Max Rebo himself, to put it back together in time for their big gig on Coruscant!

A Max Rebo prequel would be better, so we can see where all this Jizz is coming from.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oblivion is a game I remembered liking playing through once, and then never felt the need to play again. I've played through morrowind and skyrim and a ton of times.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 2, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Oblivion is a game I remembered liking playing through once, and then never felt the need to play again. I've played through oblivion and skyrim and a ton of times.
was one of those two instances of "oblivion" supposed to be morrowind or something?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I was always curious about Lost In Random and I found keys on Amazon at 90% off for a total 2.99. Pretty good deal. Hopefully the game is good

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Oblivion's change of lore for the setting from weird jungle to generic fantasy was the first sign of rot at Bethsoft

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Oblivion was the worst TES game but it still had some fun moments and I played a bunch at release. It's the only TES I've barely returned to though. I think the change of slightly more actiony combat was good because dice rolls were awkward with Morrowind's 3D models (it worked fine with DF sprites), but I was sad about the continued stripping away of the crunchy rpg elements. They got the balance of elements a bit better in Skyrim but it still took mods to make it solid. It did suck the way they made Cyrodiil more boring environment wise than it was supposed to be in the lore. Skyrim also did a better job making 'forests and mountains' have more texture and mood than the generic stuff in Oblivion. Oblivion was very much a transition game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it is kind of funny that their most recent game so closely resembles Daggerfall though. Endless miles of boring empty procgen terrain. Only theres no werewolves trying to eat you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Of the three games Oblivion's the one I've played the least but I still played it a ton. Morrowind and Skyrim are tied, the latter only because it is really easy to pick up and play and the mod managers make it extremely easy to mod. But I prefer Morrowind. Fully-voiced NPCs really mucked everything up with that franchise. You could get so much more out of conversations in Morrowind because of it being text.

Also you got to join the judge dredd faction. I'm sorry, the Morag Tong are so much better than the dark brotherhood. The former makes the later look like a bunch of dorky edgelord teens complaining to one other that it's their turn to brood in the dark corner. Skyrim screwed up this faction, unfortunately. Instead of the death writ being a government sanctioned kill order they just treated it like another dark brotherhood paid hit. I don't think Bethesda knows their own setting anymore.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

was one of those two instances of "oblivion" supposed to be morrowind or something?

yes

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I couldn't beat Daggerfall because I just didn't have the endurance to go through another huge big rear end maze of a level where everything looks the same. Over and over. jfc

Orv
May 4, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

I played through Dark Forces for the first time like a month before the remaster was announced and I thought it was great. It has one glaring flaw: limited lives. After three deaths, you have to restart an entire level. I ended up using cheats on the last couple levels purely because I did not want to chance having to replay the whole level because I botched a jump. If the game just had a normal checkpoint system, it would have aged perfectly (except for some of the level design, but that's every old shooter).

I tried to move on to Jedi Knight and fell off pretty quick because the controls for the powers are really awkward and the level design is really rough. I don't think Nightdive tends to touch game balance or level design but I wonder if improved controls would be enough for me to like it.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy both had recent Switch ports, so guessing they wouldn't be getting a remaster any time soon, at least not of the kind Nightdive does.

Actually Night Dive has started to touch level design with Turok 2, where they made the Lair of the Blind Ones considerably less rear end. So who knows.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oblivion’s quests are weirdly much better than Skyrim’s. Like Thieves guild for example, it has you doing a stake-out, stealing from important npcs, planting forgeries and a proper heist of a booby trapped wizard tower. Skyrim’s thieves guild is killing stuff in dungeons, also there is a thief god but nothing really happens with that plot hook.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Oblivion's guilds all felt like flourishing organizations. Skyrim's guilds/factions are all "hey, our thing is a fraction of its former glory and it basically sucks rear end, want to join?"

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I liked Witcher 1 and 2 better than 3. I hate open worlds. All these competing factions, enemy city states, and big important cities (that somehow have 40 people and no residential housing) in this little 10 square mile space is dumb.

Not to mention the absurdity of RDR2 having snowy blizzard mountains and desert within a couple miles of each other. Oh let's go out to our big bad evil guy hideout that's a minute horse ride from town nobody will spot us here.

Open world games end up accomplishing the opposite of what they're going for to me, they feel tiny. Like a diorama. Takes me completely out of it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I couldn't beat Daggerfall because I just didn't have the endurance to go through another huge big rear end maze of a level where everything looks the same. Over and over. jfc
Daggerfall was great for the scope it delivered at the time but the dungeon generation was inexcusably bad.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm crazy because I liked the madness of Daggerfall dungeons. They are really different than most rpgs because they are extremely 3D and completely nuts. However, getting lost sucks and eventually you get sick of it. Luckily DF Unity (recently hit 1.0, it's free try it) has an option for smaller dungeons that keeps the madness but makes them a lot less tedious.

It's a shame few games have ever tried to tackle dungeons with verticality in a similar way. I think with some iteration, more open spaces, and additional vertical movement options (climbing anchors, ladders, etc) you could end up with something very unique. A game that brought more ideas from caving/spelunky/cave expeditions into rpg dungeons. Eldritch was probably the closest but it had too many of its own problems and the game feel of everything was terrible.

Liking Witcher 1 seems crazier though. I haven't touched it since release, but I can't imagine it has aged very well. As I recall it keeps everything awkward from NWN and brings only wonky writing and mediocre rpg mechanics. Might as well just play the NWN xpacks (not the original campaign which was awful).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The game that comes to mind when you say vertical dungeons is Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Gotta kick those orcs off ledges somewhere!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I've been wanting to play roguelikes. Any thoughts on these? They all seem good, but wondering if I should cut one.

Rift Wizard
Path of Achra
Caves of Qud

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Volte posted:

Oblivion's guilds all felt like flourishing organizations. Skyrim's guilds/factions are all "hey, our thing is a fraction of its former glory and it basically sucks rear end, want to join?"

This actually kinda works for the Companions though, wolfing out and doing blood revenge missions is significantly better than the 'kill some imps in a cave' style missions of the Oblivion Fighters Guild. I also feel like going around and getting all the Mages Guild letters of recommendation was fun but then once you actually make it into the college it's just 'go kill some necromancers in a cave' over and over.

But having said that I just realized I literally never finished the Skyrim college questline so I don't even have anything to compare it to lol

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

err posted:

I've been wanting to play roguelikes. Any thoughts on these? They all seem good, but wondering if I should cut one.

Rift Wizard
Path of Achra
Caves of Qud

Caves of Qud is a keeper. I’ve played less of RW and PoA, but have enjoyed my time with both, so far.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

err posted:

Rift Wizard
Path of Achra
Caves of Qud

Rift wizard has a puzzle-like vibe to it, where there's discrete actions and you can mostly figure out what's gonna happen next, but it's up to you to figure out how to combo things together. Very good "coffee break" style RL.
Qud is less about doing 'runs' and more about exploring the amazing world, it's got a mechanically-vanilla start for a RL, but things quickly spice up. It's 95% done and already a very complete experience, will surely be up for a bunch of awards at the end of 2024.

They're both very very good, but approach what makes RLs good from different angles, so I'd recommend both. Path of Achra never appealed to me so I can't comment.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

err posted:

I've been wanting to play roguelikes. Any thoughts on these?

I tried to play Caves of Qud but found it inscrutable. Like not even in the "the mechanics don't make sense" way, but in the "I don't know what I'm doing or how to do things" way. I don't know if the ui improved since I last played it or if they implemented a tutorial, but the version I had was too old school for its own good and I didn't have the patience to push past.

If you're a roguelike vet, you may be better off than me, though.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Wolfsheim posted:

This actually kinda works for the Companions though, wolfing out and doing blood revenge missions is significantly better than the 'kill some imps in a cave' style missions of the Oblivion Fighters Guild. I also feel like going around and getting all the Mages Guild letters of recommendation was fun but then once you actually make it into the college it's just 'go kill some necromancers in a cave' over and over.

But having said that I just realized I literally never finished the Skyrim college questline so I don't even have anything to compare it to lol

I think you were just doing radiant quests in Oblivion for the fighters guild? Because the 20ish guild quests range from protecting a scholar as he explores a daedric ruin, to retaking a mine that's been overrun by trolls, to following thieves back to their hideout after they stole a religious relic then defeating them, and then the guild quest culminates in investigating & then assaulting the Blackwood compound which is full of drug addicts drinking the blood of a tree that makes them insane rage monsters.

Not as good as the thieves guild or dark brotherhood, but it was better than imps in a cave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

err posted:

Rift Wizard
Path of Achra
Caves of Qud

Pick one of Rift Wizard or Path of Achra

Rift Wizard is more methodical. Barring getting stunned or petrified everyone gets one action a turn. And stunning or petrifying is pretty rare. Looking ahead to make sure you don't go into a portal with enemies immune to all your spells is important. Going from full health to dead is unlikely unless you stand next to the final boss or hang out in the middle of a big room.

Path of Achra is more about exponential synergies. Characters take turns at different speeds and its vitally important to boost yours and destroy theirs. You can make a build that deals so much astral damage you don't care about resistances or blocking or dodging. Or summon up to your summon limit every turn. Even the most rock solid block or dodge score has a 10% chance of failing and killing a character without a full set of prayers dead.