Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Biplane posted:

I liked the part where professor X beats starlord with a keyboard
You're god-damned right.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-03-2016/By7RkG.mp4

Fil5000 posted:

Remember how it was about how a bunch of supervillains teamed up and beat the superheroes and the film COMPLETELY dropped anything to do with that apart from people being able to make bullets curve?
Hey, it looked pretty cool though.

stringless has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fil5000 posted:

Remember how it was about how a bunch of supervillains teamed up and beat the superheroes and the film COMPLETELY dropped anything to do with that apart from people being able to make bullets curve?

The idea behind the comics was so good. drat shame about everything else about it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

you know how there's the puppy bowl?

why isn't there a new years equivalent?

just imagine watching puppies play while wearing little puppy tuxedos and evening gowns, drinking water from oversized champagne flutes, and then at midnight a bunch of tennis balls drop into the party. It would easily be better than watching times square

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The idea behind the comics was so good. drat shame about everything else about it.

It's Mark Millar, so of course it's "interesting idea ruined by edgelord douchebaggery"

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Nebrilos posted:

I know that complaining about Love Actually is really old hat right now, but this is the irrational movie thread so let me be irrational.

One of the stories is about step-dad widower Daniel who is taking care of his orphaned step-son Sam. Sam asks Daniel for love advice and Daniel tells him about his own love for Sam's late mother (Daniel's late wife). What does he say? Does he talk about how just a few words or a smile from Sam's mother could turn the worst day into the best? How she brightened up a room just by being there? How he and Sam's mother made each other the best versions of themselves, or how he dreamed of holding her hand is his own shaky hand when they were both in their eighties and still together?

No, he describes his love for her as having sex with her constantly in every room of the house. Love is when loving. You can tell this movie was written by a man.

While Love Actually is for sure fair game, this isn't correct. Sam says that he feels bad because he hasn't asked Daniel about his love life. Daniel laughs, and says that Sam's mom was his one and only. Unless Claudia Schiffer comes along and then they'll kick him out so they can have sex in every room.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
tbh I kind of dig what Love Actually was going for with the concept of "here's love in all of its various forms, most of them are kind of hosed up but hey that's life." If they had made that more explicitly the messaging instead of trying to sell it as mushy true romance I think it would have been perfectly fine.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

the holy poopacy posted:

tbh I kind of dig what Love Actually was going for with the concept of "here's love in all of its various forms, most of them are kind of hosed up but hey that's life." If they had made that more explicitly the messaging instead of trying to sell it as mushy true romance I think it would have been perfectly fine.

I honestly do enjoy it, even though it is problematic. Plus, Bill Nighy!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fil5000 posted:

It's Mark Millar, so of course it's "interesting idea ruined by edgelord douchebaggery"

I have no idea what you mean

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
rigged her womb to collapse

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That art style is loving awful to look at too.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Goddamn Mark Millar blows goats. If you don't follow comics discourse, you might be blissfully unaware that he recently tried to resurrect Comicsgate to froth about "#cancelpigs," like his former mentor Gail Simone.

Dude is trash

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
He is dogshit but drat some of the adaptations that are made out of his dogshit are fantastic. Super Crooks and Logan are solid as hell, it just hurts that those help out that shithead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mark Millar is also the very Catholic kind of edgelord.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rigged to collapse? In my womb?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mark Millar is also the very Catholic kind of edgelord.

Oh poo poo I forgot, he refuses to curse in real life because it offends his Catholic sensibilities.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

For years I have thought this actually was from some kind of licensed Eminem comic. Thank you for this gift of knowledge.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I remember Eminem at some point saying he had never even seen the comic and swore he never would.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have no idea what you mean

What the gently caress did I just read?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

about a supervillain who's both batman and the joker, and just kind of does things arbitrarily

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What comic is this so I know to stay away from it?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

TGG posted:

He is dogshit but drat some of the adaptations that are made out of his dogshit are fantastic. Super Crooks and Logan are solid as hell, it just hurts that those help out that shithead.

I had no idea he did Old Man Logan and I was about to be upset about it since i really like the film Logan. Turns out the movie has almost nothing to do with the comic except Logan old and super heroes gone so that's good. The comic sounds like a dumpster fire based on the synopsis I read. What the gently caress is it with these edgelord comic writers. Kinda the same thing with Garth Ennis and The Boys. That comic is probably one of the worst things ive ever read but the show is fantastic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Boys comic is a funny one since it's apparently basically Ennis starting out with edgelord lols then realising halfway through he's onto something with the concept, and some parts have been described as Ennis arguing with his earlier self.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
If anyone hasn't seen it yet, watch Super Crooks, it is incredibly fun and has an awesome opening. Also one of my favorite representations of an LGBTQ character in superhero poo poo I've seen. It has its problems but it is worth a watch. Even if you hate anime it is one of the best on Netflix.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Fil5000 posted:

I found out recently that one of the stories running when I started reading 2000AD way back in the early 90's was Millar's first actual story. Called Silo, it's about two dudes in a missile silo where one gets haunted by a ghost and tries to force the other to help set off the missiles. Pretty atmospheric thriller. I wonder what it would have been like later in his career without editorial reins.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
MM is one of those writers where he CAN write good plot lines if he has an editor waving a bat over his head but if you take your eyes off him for one goddamn second he's booby trapping wombs.

He is also, apparently, a fuckwit of the highest order.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is Millar an actual Catholic or one of those weirdo adult convert traditionalist edgelord types?

Because him not swearing sounds like the latter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

https://twitter.com/onlymninthesky/status/1573279444646727680

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

TGG posted:

Even if you hate anime it is one of the best on Netflix.

When you say "even if you hate anime" do you mean "hate animated shows" or "hate a medium which far too often gives voice to racism, sexism, sexual violence against women, infantilisation of women and animated child sexual abuse"?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
yes

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

I found out recently that one of the stories running when I started reading 2000AD way back in the early 90's was Millar's first actual story. Called Silo, it's about two dudes in a missile silo where one gets haunted by a ghost and tries to force the other to help set off the missiles. Pretty atmospheric thriller. I wonder what it would have been like later in his career without editorial reins.

My first encounter with his writing was when he took over The Authority from Warren Ellis. Now Ellis is his own bag of worms, but the first thing Millar does is have a team of Avengers analogs show up to murder a baby and be hugely racist and sexist while they do it.

Edit: I forgot, the Iron Man analog literally kills a maternity ward's worth of babies while failing to get the one he was after. gently caress you, Millar.

Fil5000 has a new favorite as of 11:17 on Jan 2, 2024

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
At a certain point during the mental gymnastics required to enjoy Millar, most people eventually realise you under no circumstances have to hand it to him.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I always get Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis and Mark Millar mixed up.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gargamel Gibson posted:

They were one person until they mocked god, and as punishment were split into three.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Biplane posted:

They were one person until they mocked god, and as punishment were split into three.

Ah come on now, Ennis is the one who hates superheroes but writes them sympathetically, Millar is the one who loves superheroes but writes literally everyone as a loving monster, Ellis is the one that's a sex pest.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Ah come on now, Ennis is the one who hates superheroes but writes them sympathetically, Millar is the one who loves superheroes but writes literally everyone as a loving monster, Ellis is the one that's a sex pest.

One tells only lies, one tells only the truth, one will sexually assault you. Choose wisely

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching What If season 2 and the first episode with Nebula in the Nova Corp really feels like they were just pulling names based on who they could get more than who should be in the story.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

muscles like this! posted:

Watching What If season 2 and the first episode with Nebula in the Nova Corp really feels like they were just pulling names based on who they could get more than who should be in the story.

It would have to work differently with anyone else

And as you'll see in upcoming episodes, they can get basically anybody

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Add Liefeld for me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I get Michael Jai White, Jan-Michael Vincent, and Jai Courtney mixed up all the time.