Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Honour mode is a challenge mode for people familiar with the game.
Yeah I would give the same advice I did when beating God of War 3 Titan mode on release night: Don't. And that was a game with two prequels of familiar mechanics to lean on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Geekboy posted:

I honestly don’t know that I can bear to play another real time with pause game, ever again.

this guy gets it.

I kind of hope they do a full BG1 and 2 remake after the success of this one. Throw the rtwp in the garbage where it belongs and update it to 5e, put it in the new engine with full VA and mocap and all that. Probably unlikely, but I would be into it because I'd like to finally play them again and I just can't bear rtwp anymore.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You definitely can get away with a lot of mistakes in honor mode if you have someone who can run away from fights (it’s even possible to have one person run from a fight, resurrect your dead party members at camp, and then return to the battle with all of them, while the fight itself has been paused on your remaining party member’s turn)

But, yeah, generally in honor mode you avoid being outclassed in fights by having already played the game and knowing roughly what fights are where.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The key to a smooth honour mode run is 1) knowing what's coming because you've beaten BG3 before and 2) developing an efficient route through the game.

The legendary abilities make certain encounters harder but if you approach them at the correct level and not undergeared you should still be fine.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

My first honour mode attempt almost ended when I was talking to Dammon and all of a sudden the entire tiefling camp turned aggro and tried to murder me. Shadowheart died as I tried to escape but they put us all in jail. I think it might have been because I casted friends on Rolan. Does that turn people aggro in honour mode?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MarshyMcFly posted:

My first honour mode attempt almost ended when I was talking to Dammon and all of a sudden the entire tiefling camp turned aggro and tried to murder me. Shadowheart died as I tried to escape but they put us all in jail. I think it might have been because I casted friends on Rolan. Does that turn people aggro in honour mode?

It has a chance of doing it in tactician too.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Yep, you can only really use it against people who will immediately leave or who you don't mind fighting.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

MarshyMcFly posted:

It is precisely because you did that. Although it can happen even in Tactician, it's particularly brutal in Honor. You must leave the area before the spell expires (if I had to use it, I would fast travel to camp, turn off the spell, then go back).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yes, if you use Charm or Friends in Honor mode then when it wears off there is a chance that the person will get mad because they realize they have been influenced. I think that this can also happen in Tactician and I think that Detect Thoughts does this even in other modes? But yea it means those powers are much less useful and you need to plan to not be there once they wear off from the effect. It feels like it means they're only useful in the situations where you are trying to talk someone into killing themselves.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

MarshyMcFly posted:

Yup. I had a similar experience with Wyll in Last Light. Don't cast friends unless you're ready to murder your "friend"

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

It has a chance of doing it in tactician too.

I just realized the first time I used friends was on balanced during my playthrough to collect trophies. It was so broken I passed every charisma check there was in the game with ease!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

If friends makes them temporarily hostile you can do non lethal iirc

Unless you’re about that action.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

MarshyMcFly posted:

Wouldn't you turn agro if someone hosed with your brain using magic?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

People balk at necromancy but enchantment is really the most evil spell school IMO

Naturally I always make Gale an enchanter

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Yes, if you use Charm or Friends in Honor mode then when it wears off there is a chance that the person will get mad because they realize they have been influenced. I think that this can also happen in Tactician and I think that Detect Thoughts does this even in other modes? But yea it means those powers are much less useful and you need to plan to not be there once they wear off from the effect. It feels like it means they're only useful in the situations where you are trying to talk someone into killing themselves.

What about animals? Does it work the same way with animals?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MarshyMcFly posted:

What about animals? Does it work the same way with animals?

It can, yes. Basically never use Friends in a situation where the NPC will stick around after you're done talking to them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You can also immediately teleport back to camp as long as it's not a hostile area

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Detect Thoughts only generates agro if you fail the skill check right?

Right...?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A tried and true strategy for stealing the idol at level 3.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I want to turn Galenand Astarion into hunky fighters. Not sure what to do with Gale though besides Eldritch Knight.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Demilich posted:

I want to turn Galenand Astarion into hunky fighters. Not sure what to do with Gale though besides Eldritch Knight.

Wild magic Barbarian.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Been wondering. What goes here?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I haven't messed around much with friends but it's a duration spell, right? I imagine that if you cast it and use it that if you then run out of the area before it wears off the npc might be ok with it? Sorta like how you pick pocket an npc and they get mad for a second looking for you but then after like 10 seconds of not finding you they reset to their normal state?

Purely speculative on my part, and probably still risky on honour mode to do.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Yes, that's exactly how it works and I would argue Friends is the best possible cantrip pick for your main character (on Honour mode). Having advantage on charisma checks is hugely beneficial and it lasts 10 turns after you end the conversation. Just walk out of sight or teleport to camp and cancel it manually.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Seems super gamey

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Jay Rust posted:

Been wondering. What goes here?

Just a programming error. They're appending the human proficiencies to the end of the bard proficiencies and there's a null value either at the beginning or end of the list.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Seems super gamey

It's honour mode. What are you going to be, honourable?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is the Selune chest very buggy or can you only open it as a Priest of Selune? Because I've passed both the perception check and the religion check AND I have the sheet in my inventory, yet I still get blasted

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Azran posted:

Is the Selune chest very buggy or can you only open it as a Priest of Selune? Because I've passed both the perception check and the religion check AND I have the sheet in my inventory, yet I still get blasted

Read the prayer while standing next to the chest

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Thundarr posted:

Wild magic Barbarian.

Oh by Mystra it shall be done

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Been getting into this the last few days, initially bounced off for various reasons, now I've started over a few times and now feel I'm getting somewhere as a warlock. It's been interesting seeing how it handles different paths through the story, like finding a dying True Soul early rather than killing a goblin leader. Couple of odd changes I've encountered though; previously I had a bunch of cutscenes of Astarion sneaking away at night, and found a drained boar (failed the check to figure anything out from it) before I caught him trying to drink me, this new playthrough I caught him on my first long rest. Just luck? Hidden perception check?

Also, and possibly more critically I've now killed a bunch of True Souls and picked up their tadpoles, but I've not triggered my guardian announcing themselves and telling me to upgrade myself with them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Jay Rust posted:

Read the prayer while standing next to the chest

Already tried that, still getting blasted. Any specific spot?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If reading the prayer sheet while standing RIGHT NEXT to the chest isn't working then yeah probably a bug!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also, and possibly more critically I've now killed a bunch of True Souls and picked up their tadpoles, but I've not triggered my guardian announcing themselves and telling me to upgrade myself with them.

About this, I believe that the trigger for the Guardian appearing is to use your Authority powers a certain number of times, not just finding tadpoles. If you don't use those checks when given the option - I think they're mostly around the Goblin camp to start - then it delays when you'll get those interactions.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ashcans posted:

About this, I believe that the trigger for the Guardian appearing is to use your Authority powers a certain number of times, not just finding tadpoles. If you don't use those checks when given the option - I think they're mostly around the Goblin camp to start - then it delays when you'll get those interactions.

Makes sense I think I've killed most of the people I can use them on right now, set all the goblins hostile.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is there anything in particular that needs to be done to trigger Volo acting as a merchant? He's got a ring I want but only wants to talk about eye surgery.

e: nevermind, I can just pickpocket it

e2: after waking up from the post-grove party, Lae'zel has the Enemy of Justice status. Just what the gently caress did you do last night girl?

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 2, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Azran posted:

Already tried that, still getting blasted. Any specific spot?

Are you trying to read it with Shadowheart by chance?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Makes sense I think I've killed most of the people I can use them on right now, set all the goblins hostile.

Using tadpoles requires a camp event

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Lol I just raised the bulette with Glut. I've never tried before but it works. Thing has 100 hp. Gonna go gently caress the Duergar up with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

grack posted:

Using tadpoles requires a camp event

always. long. rest. :hmmyes:

It took installing this mod Camp Event Notifications for me to realize the sheer amount of events that are locked behind long resting.