Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Turin Turambar posted:

Do you people really like to play like that?
With the CRT line effect, I mean.

I honestly don't mind it much. Though I in general feel like turning off all effects and postprocessing can get a big dull, so I prefer to keep it on unless it's completely obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I have it at like 35%. I like it but the full effect is way too much.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i turned the aim assist up to 100% to test it out and only now realized that the targeting reticle on weapons like scrolls just.... does not have anything to do with where the weapon is aimed. because there's a separate auto-target reticle that moves around to where the attack is actually going to land

it's pretty confusing. the reticle also moves around when i try to menu which feels weird. i still feel like playing this with a controller feels Weird

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I keyboard and mouse, and will stay that way.

Aiming, even off screen, is the one thing I have never had a problem with. For everything else, a controller seems like a worse option.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Broken Cog posted:

RIP win-streak. 16-cinder is pretty rough.
Yeah, I've been trying to knock off a 16 cinder win as my next step and it rules because the first few levels are suddenly way harder because your power curve is hosed up to hell. Doomed To Fail means you're firing in the dark as far as your first trait goes, your dps output is terrible, you're on the verge of death until you get to floor 2 and can soul flask up to neutral, and on top of all that bosses are now firing lightning and fire everywhere between their double enchants and the autobot reinforcements.

I genuinely think the Broken Hero Sword is the way to go, but it's the definition of a slow start since you're going for ~110 gold for the forge shops (with the cheaper forges / forge to level 4 metaupgrades) to hit Hero Sword +4. Not too hard on lower cinder counts, but I'm getting My rear end Kicked passing up all the progression rewards to get the gold.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gunslinger (repeat attacks on lucky hit) gets really wacky if you get Hunter's Mark (hugely boosted lucky hit) and then lean heavily into Marks and tallies:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1025655068520894514/1191127739554615396/green_buffs_Y.webm

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i just learned that "money" can be a build in this game

had piggy bank familiar and scroll of treasure with some 250-ish gold. on the last floor* i got greed gloves but i never got to see how powerful i would've been with the full set...
https://i.imgur.com/br9E1Zu.mp4

* i started a new file so i'm still just doing "kill death with 5 characters" runs

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RoboCicero posted:

Yeah, I've been trying to knock off a 16 cinder win as my next step and it rules because the first few levels are suddenly way harder because your power curve is hosed up to hell. Doomed To Fail means you're firing in the dark as far as your first trait goes, your dps output is terrible, you're on the verge of death until you get to floor 2 and can soul flask up to neutral, and on top of all that bosses are now firing lightning and fire everywhere between their double enchants and the autobot reinforcements.

I genuinely think the Broken Hero Sword is the way to go, but it's the definition of a slow start since you're going for ~110 gold for the forge shops (with the cheaper forges / forge to level 4 metaupgrades) to hit Hero Sword +4. Not too hard on lower cinder counts, but I'm getting My rear end Kicked passing up all the progression rewards to get the gold.

Did Infernal Throne on my first try on cinder 16 with Berserker, so can recommend that character if you're just looking to get a win.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I have two 16 cinder clears and still trying to futz around with good metaprog picks. It feels like grabbing parts of the left tree becomes so much more important because the first few levels are Packed With Guys. Probably of the split choices I'd say "The Glass Is Half Full" for 50% less enchanted enemies with more armor (both seem to be multiplicative with the cinder effect so the other upgrade, Glass Is Half Empty, feels like you get double-enchanted packs extremely often). I'd also take Take This for a guaranteed weapon on the first floor to try and get you a decent weapon so you can actually finish fights without being overwhelmed. Other than that, in the north area I find myself using Shortcut (+5 initial XP, +1 requirement to level up) to be helpful since you can immediately knock off the Doomed To Fail trait before you invest too much into the wrong direction, and Stamina for reduced dash cooldowns. Smash and Grab, like someone said, is great because you're going to almost always have excess bombs (I didn't know bombing shrines gave you XP!)

all this will not save you from just eating it if your class has a sufficiently bad start and you hit the stupid rock golem with my least favorite pattern (yes, including all the postgame ones)

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 2, 2024

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i really wish the game wasn't so feast or famine - i feel like every single run i either get powerful enough to clear bosses in milliseconds or i'm so weak i struggle to get through normal rooms without taking multiple hits

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RoboCicero posted:

I have two 16 cinder clears and still trying to futz around with good metaprog picks. It feels like grabbing parts of the left tree becomes so much more important because the first few levels are Packed With Guys. Probably of the split choices I'd say "The Glass Is Half Full" for 50% less enchanted enemies with more armor (both seem to be multiplicative with the cinder effect so the other upgrade, Glass Is Half Empty, feels like you get double-enchanted packs extremely often). I'd also take Take This for a guaranteed weapon on the first floor to try and get you a decent weapon so you can actually finish fights without being overwhelmed. Other than that, in the north area I find myself using Shortcut (+5 initial XP, +1 requirement to level up) to be helpful since you can immediately knock off the Doomed To Fail trait before you invest too much into the wrong direction, and Stamina for reduced dash cooldowns. Smash and Grab, like someone said, is great because you're going to almost always have excess bombs (I didn't know bombing shrines gave you XP!)

all this will not save you from just eating it if your class has a sufficiently bad start and you hit the stupid rock golem with my least favorite pattern (yes, including all the postgame ones)

The rock golem is really far too hard for a floor 2 boss.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The bar pattern is generated in front of the wall, so at base difficulty you can just hug the wall right next to him and safely spend the entire phase hammering on him. That does go out the window with all the bullshit cinders throw at you, although at least it's easier to dodge through the prism when you don't also have to dodge the blocks.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
rock golemn is a jerk

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

The bar pattern is generated in front of the wall, so at base difficulty you can just hug the wall right next to him and safely spend the entire phase hammering on him. That does go out the window with all the bullshit cinders throw at you, although at least it's easier to dodge through the prism when you don't also have to dodge the blocks.

This works for lots of boss attacks. Off the top of my head, the dragons' breath attacks can be avoided by standing in the corner behind them and the jouster's attacks can almost all be avoided by hugging the bottom wall.

e: I only play on Cinder 14 (Doomed to Fail and Remote Guardians turned off) but this is the metaprogression setup I use to maximize my control over my build and I couldn't imagine changing a single point:

The ones that guarantee a secret room every floor and make mimics more common would be fantastic if you didn't have to take the one that shortens early floors to get them, but losing out on 6 early-game rooms is way too big of a penalty to pay IMO. I use red dice liberally on early floors to eat up as many foods as I can and having fewer chances to get stats at the start of the game before the difficulty ramps up sucks.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 2, 2024

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

deep dish peat moss posted:

This works for lots of boss attacks. Off the top of my head, the dragons' breath attacks can be avoided by standing in the corner behind them and the jouster's attacks can almost all be avoided by hugging the bottom wall.

e: I only play on Cinder 14 (Doomed to Fail and Remote Guardians turned off) but this is the metaprogression setup I use to maximize my control over my build and I couldn't imagine changing a single point:

The ones that guarantee a secret room every floor and make mimics more common would be fantastic if you didn't have to take the one that shortens early floors to get them, but losing out on 6 early-game rooms is way too big of a penalty to pay IMO. I use red dice liberally on early floors to eat up as many foods as I can and having fewer chances to get stats at the start of the game before the difficulty ramps up sucks.

I personally consider those two well worth losing 6 early game rooms. Getting a guaranteed secret room every floor is a LOT of bonus resources and can get you really strong stuff early if you get lucky.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:negative:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Infinity Gaia posted:

I personally consider those two well worth losing 6 early game rooms. Getting a guaranteed secret room every floor is a LOT of bonus resources and can get you really strong stuff early if you get lucky.

Not to mention that the guaranteed secret room doesn't supersede the regular chance to roll a secret room, so you can get 2 secret rooms per floor. You're also usually drowning in bombs, and you can bomb the secret rooms during a fight to speed it up if you can double-tap enemies at the same time too.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Not quite what you want to still have on cinder 16

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turin Turambar posted:

Do you people really like to play like that?
With the CRT line effect, I mean.

gently caress YES I DO

:sickos:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Good lord trying to get a polearm to drop is like pulling teeth

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is probably an obvious thing, but does the game get harder when you go up world tiers? After unlocking the world tier where you have to focus on alignment, the latter half of the game feels a lot harder than the game was on the previous world tiers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is probably an obvious thing, but does the game get harder when you go up world tiers? After unlocking the world tier where you have to focus on alignment, the latter half of the game feels a lot harder than the game was on the previous world tiers.

It unlocks some new floors/bosses, but I'd actually say it gets easier with the addition of the alignment shops, since they give you the opportunity to snowball faster.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah the shops help, but the Egypt floor has still turned into a loving nightmare. There's rooms where you get a couple of those guys who do that gravity distortion that makes dodging very hard, combined with a bunch of those archers who bullet hell you to poo poo.

I guess I just need to get better.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I guess I just need to get better.

uh oh i'm not gonna get far

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It gets easier as more things unlock and you get bonuses from the bonfire. Then it gets harder as you add on Cinder levels. I completed a Cinder 9 run yesterday and there are some Cinder pacts that really ramp up the difficulty.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I was able to get to the post-game today on a Warrior run, but then had apparently picked up a -1 to my Lawful, dropping me from +4 to +3 so I couldn't get through that door. Womp womp.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Yeah I'm not a fan of the current alignment system. It isn't bad, but you are TERRIBLY limited in your options. Hell, without the -1 room requirement talent, I've had runs where I just got one room of the desired alignment and like got nothing after that, or had to sacrifice item choices because it would've given me points towards a different one and hosed the run.

I like the routing system and the idea of actions giving points toward something, but in its current format it feels like there's too little and you'll have to just ignore some stuff entirely if you're doing a certain type of run (like avoiding the black market if you're doing Good).

Relatively minor complaint I'm sure the dev will fix though!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
For alignment, I feel it's worth mentioning that there are a few places you can manipulate it outside of the shops, mainly through the tavern.

In the tavern:
  • Buying a curse purge or one of those stamina grass gives +1 Good
  • Buying illegal gun parts, or buying/selling anything at the black market gives +1 Evil
  • Buying the dice sets gives + 1 Lawful
  • Buying the Storm in a Bottle gives +1 Chaos

Won't be enough to get you into an endgame zone on their own, but can help tip the scales.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Well that's what I meant, yeah those can tip the balance, but they are far and few in between.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

Well that's what I meant, yeah those can tip the balance, but they are far and few in between.

There's a bonfire perk that guarantees Taverns on Floors 3/6/9. Great way to help out getting the last points of Good/Evil/Law/Chaos.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is there a way to tell when a secret room spawns without the hint?

I agree that the game feels feast or famine because dps range is so wide. The runs I win, the bosses melt so fast I barely learn their patterns.

Some of the new patterns are absolutely mean too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kuros posted:

There's a bonfire perk that guarantees Taverns on Floors 3/6/9. Great way to help out getting the last points of Good/Evil/Law/Chaos.

There is also, I believe, a guaranteed alignment shop on Floor 11. I know I've gone into Burning Hells at -1 thinking my unlock run was shot then made it to Floor 12 on the back of a devil shop.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

WarpedLichen posted:

Is there a way to tell when a secret room spawns without the hint?

tile looks like this:

Just deliberately look at each floor tile and look for an X. After a while they'll stick out like sore thumbs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

On my first floor I got a shop, bought a divine axe that "grows with strength".

It sure did.

I also managed to get a very coherent build that basically turned me into an insane gatling gun of axes that gave me +30% top end damage every five hits. Which meant I was critting bosses for tens of thousands.

Game owns.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Slotducks posted:

tile looks like this:

Just deliberately look at each floor tile and look for an X. After a while they'll stick out like sore thumbs.

Oh, good to know. Thanks.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

re: alignment, one thing that virtually everyone overlooks is that Floor 11 will have a soul shop and you can top off your alignment before the soul weighting test. Lately I'll often go into F11 with +2/+3 and just finish my requirement in the soul shop there.

You do need to have a decent amount of stock saved up though, and it also helps a lot if you actively path for soul rewards as well.

I also take the mastery perk that increases gold prices but decreases soul prices. I'm usually drowning in gold anyway.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh hell, I never knew that the floor 11 shop gave alignment rewards, I thought it was just another generic soul shop.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the holy poopacy posted:

Oh hell, I never knew that the floor 11 shop gave alignment rewards, I thought it was just another generic soul shop.

In the beta it originally didn't give an alignment bonus (branch-appropriate) until I suggested it :shobon:

Though I think you're right, the soul shop in F11 should say e.g., "Good Shop" instead of "Soul Shop"

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 3, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God damnit.

I got to Hell. Beat the boss of Hell, thought I had made it. Realized there was another alignment gate before the ACTUAL final boss of Hell, failed the test, had to chug ichor once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kuros posted:

I think those tavern/black market interactions give +1 alignment per run, not per interaction.

Also keep in mind that the soul merchant on the respective floor 11 also gives +1 alignment per purchase like the alignment shop keeper at the end of a floor from before, depending on which path you are on (ie Shadow Realm for +1 law etc).