Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

ally was on the dungeon court where they talked about murph walking around in a pillowcase like fred flintstone iirc

WHAT IS WITH THE REFERENCES?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Inaction Jackson posted:

EDIT: On CoC discourse, I thought CoC was pretty good, but Ravening War was fantastic.

boxen posted:

CoC is worth going through at least once because of Ravening War, but I wouldn't put it as a priority.

CoC is the only D&D thing I watched, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I tried the beginning of Ravening War and found it a little slow and hard to follow. Does it pick up, or is Ravening War just a different beast?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
coc has problems but they're all pretty interesting problems. a lot of the humor and character work is top notch and there are some incredible highs.

unfortunately the weakest d20 season (main cast at least) is neverafter by a mile. there are some really fantastic and funny moments in spite of itself, but it felt like a misfire. they mashed together two premises which would have been stronger on their own (fairy tale horror vs. meta 'jumping between stories' stuff).

the early TPK followed by a full episode of exposition i think causes a LOT of problems later on. we have all of 2 episodes with the characters as mortals living their life in fairytale scaryworld, but almost immediately have all that ripped away as the scope and scale expands. we've barely had time with the characters so instead of it feeling like a cool evolution for the party, it just feels like we barely ever get to know them. the whole time it feels like pc's are adrift and not super sure what the stakes are or what matters, and it feels like the players just retreat into (really really funny) bits b/c there isn't any real drama or pathos, just endless lovely situations they waltz through.

if you GOTTA keep the horror and the meta stuff both, i think it would've been better for the campaign if the 'meta reveal' was like, 10 episodes in at least. let us and the players get to know who the pc's are and how awful the situation is, and *then* pull the rug out and reveal that things are also hosed up a meta level beyond their comprehension.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It’s a horror campaign that’s not really scary combined with comedy that feels out of place in what is ostensibly a horror campaign, while also being uh….really boring. It’s just kind of a mess from top to bottom

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Farg posted:

unfortunately the weakest d20 season (main cast at least) is neverafter by a mile. there are some really fantastic and funny moments in spite of itself, but it felt like a misfire. they mashed together two premises which would have been stronger on their own (fairy tale horror vs. meta 'jumping between stories' stuff).

Agree with you and it's the worst by a mile. On top of what you mentioned, it's the first season where the world just never comes together. 'hosed up Fairytales' is fun, and the first battle they do against animated furniture, leaning into how hosed it would be to be a living table, was great. But the logic of the magic of the world and how they came to be just feels like a never-ending exposition dump that never makes any sense. Was just two steps too abstract.

Still lots of cleverness, good gags, but christ is the setting impenetrable. Add onto that what you mentioned, and you end up with a season where there's just nothing to hang onto. Except for Orange Tophat Fairy.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah like i think it says a lot that in the middle of a very dramatic and complicated two-episode final battle for the fate of reality the pc's are mostly cracking goofs and trying to obtain a tophat

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they were going to do another attempt at full horror I think they'd probably want to keep it much shorter.

I think when EXU Calamity was made with Brennan as DM, he said something about how that keeping it short (4 episodes) was good because it's a dread-filled story and you can't keep that feeling up for too long. I wonder if he'd already filmed Neverafter by then and he was speaking from that experience.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Starstruck is such a cathartic adventure where the villain is capitalism

That's half of D20. (The other half is, of course, organised religion)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 31, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Quoteedit

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i know it's another network but i do feel like Calamity is Brennan showing off everything learned over his sudden career shift to Professional DM and passing with flying colors, it's standalone and honestly worth watching for d20 fans that don't touch critical role stuff

only vague spoilers: i think he very wisely realizes that getting the chance to establish what the setting's Actual Literal Devil is like is a huge gift and he knocks it out of the park

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It speaks a lot to how much respect Matt & Brennan have for each other that they let each other loose in the other's lore-heavy setting and gave them permission to take big loving swings

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xand_Man posted:

It speaks a lot to how much respect Matt & Brennan have for each other that they let each other loose in the other's lore-heavy setting and gave them permission to take big loving swings

I'd kind of love a D20 season where a load of "forever DMs" like Matt, Brennan and (to a lesser degree) Murph along with a few others from other bigger live plays are all players, especially if it's a short season under someone who has never DM'd before. The whole of Critical Role has DM'd at least once at this point, as has Emily and Caldwell (but not Jake, to my knowledge) so the choices within that sphere aren't too numerous, but I don't think a few of the D20 regulars have either. Has Lou, Ally or Siobhan DM'd anything for instance? On camera, I mean. I think Lou has mentioned running some home games.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've been intermittently watching Dimnsion 20 on Dropout, trying to slowly catch up - there were some occasions when I didn't watch it for weeks, but I did watch Fantasy High Freshman year, sophomore year and the FH one-shots (I took a long time getting through those). But Unsleeping City S1 and 2, and Tiny Heist was pretty fast, and then I could get onto A Crown of Candy, the obvious twist on Game of Thrones.

I just finished episode 5 ("Lapis' Big Day") and drat those twists at the end are amazing. I mean, I knew some kind of hammer was going to fall at some point, but that one came out of nowhere. Clearly that was something that one of the PC's had worked out with Brennan in their backstory, because they were able to answer the questions, but I don't think they expected it to come back to them like that.

:drat:

EDIT: Episode 6, the lack of music - and the dead silence from the players really sells how bleak the situation is. Great choice to not have music.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 1, 2024

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Ally DMing a game would be a level of chaos that no level of editing could make coherent.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Gotta say, today's VIP went where I didn't expect it to but goddamn it did it great

It really did; that was a great episode

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

i binged misfits and magic this weekend i thought it was really great.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Ally DMing a game would be a level of chaos that no level of editing could make coherent.

I'd see it as similar to when Sam Riegel from Crit Role does it for a one shot. It doesn't always work out the way he planned, but it's fun to watch.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ow, episode 9 of A Crown of Candy was just brutal. I suspect that Brennan banned (or at least discouraged) full casters because of magic being illegal, but I'm also wondering if he banned Clerics as well to establish "anyone can die" stakes to fit the theme the season was going for.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Ow, episode 9 of A Crown of Candy was just brutal. I suspect that Brennan banned (or at least discouraged) full casters because of magic being illegal, but I'm also wondering if he banned Clerics as well to establish "anyone can die" stakes to fit the theme the season was going for.

Welcome to the cool cryers club

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just finished the season (ACOC) finally.

Ally was on fire those last two episodes. Where did that come from? Absolute insane chaos

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Awkward Davies posted:

I just finished the season (ACOC) finally.

Ally was on fire those last two episodes. Where did that come from? Absolute insane chaos

Ally has absurd dice luck whenever the chips are down.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8one6 posted:

Ally has absurd dice luck whenever the chips are down.

oh yeah crazy rolls. I more meant stalking Carrotdin, disguised as them, murdering them, disappearing with the body and then murdering the pontifex while still holding the body, and then eventually resurrecting them to keep them in jail for their whole lives

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Didn't they go like four seasons of the show in a row rolling game-altering nat 20's? First three in the series finales, the later an insane earlier roll in Sleeping City S2.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Latest dirty laundry spoiler

Holy poo poo Mica Burton is so loving good at the game. I think she got the perfect score, guessing everyone right and fooling everyone on her secrets

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 3, 2024

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it always throws me just how connected these people are.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My favourite Dirty Laundry moment is still Sam Riegel turning to dust as all 5 other people on camera make him realise how long ago 9/11 was.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Latest dirty laundry

Matt's kompromat clip made me spit my drink.

Edit: and yeah, Holy poo poo, Burton.

boxen fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 4, 2024

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
A Crown of Candy (major spoilers for a shocking event)

I finished watching this, and there was one thing I was a little confused about which I don't think got clearly answered.

In Episode 9, there was a trap set for some characters. They saw their mother leaving a room and saw (on a 10 or 11 perception) an item or a note, which was bait for a trap. In the next episode, the mother denied knowledge of the item, and that seemed credible - and yet oddly enough, none of the PC's brought up the idea that the "mother" they saw was an illusion. I cannot believe that it was the actual mother who completely failed to see those suspicious items lying in plain sight in her study.

Late in the season, there was the implication that the Sugar Plum Fairy was involved in the trap. So was the "mother" the Sugar Plum Fairy using an illusion? If so, what did the assassins know about how their targets were going to be lured into the trap (as in, did they know the Sugar Plum fairy was helping with the trap)?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/DontLaughNews/status/1744230896943681880?t=rWEL4VZBOsl0p8otEwwrLQ&s=19

:getin:

True Facts about Grant part 3 drops tomorrow

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Doesn't Grant get to do another Dropout America or Win Sam's money for every one of these?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I don't think they ever topped him sticking a dildo on the shower for practice, and forgetting to take it down until his roommates discovered it, but by george I'm excited to see them try.

Still sucks that one of the winners of the Grant Bachelor Game Changer died a few months after they shot it. Was such a appropriately sweet yet toasty roast of the guy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How many stories does Karen Gillen's Husband have?!?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So uh spoilers

oh my god. Didn't expect those stories to come out.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

So uh spoilers

oh my god. Didn't expect those stories to come out.

It was very sweet.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

He just sat there and took it. Woof.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CatstropheWaitress posted:

He just sat there and took it. Woof.

He was asking for it! Begging for more!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

And the fact that they got so many cast members to contribute and even his drat Dad, like he got Sam's Dad for Dropout America 2

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I can't believe amy didn't lose that one

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Asking here because finding things on Dropout isn't always the easiest:
I've started watching Dimension 20, been through Fantasy High 1 and Bloodkeep. I see that Brennan did a post-mortem of Bloodkeep on Adventuring Academy, but did he ever do anything similar for Fantasy High? There's the recap/Q&A episodes they did when it started streaming on youtube, but those are 'spoiler-free' and don't get into very much.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Leatherhead posted:

Asking here because finding things on Dropout isn't always the easiest:
I've started watching Dimension 20, been through Fantasy High 1 and Bloodkeep. I see that Brennan did a post-mortem of Bloodkeep on Adventuring Academy, but did he ever do anything similar for Fantasy High? There's the recap/Q&A episodes they did when it started streaming on youtube, but those are 'spoiler-free' and don't get into very much.

After a certain point (I think for sophomore year) , the adventuring academies line up 1 to 1 for each d20 episode, so each adventuring academy becomes a postmortem for the paired show plus whatever other madness they get up to.

It's not fronted at the top of dropout, but they do have Playlists that plays both the D20 episode and the adventuring academy intertwined. I think it's titled "the complete experience".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Fair warning, 60-90% of any given adventuring party is an unrelated hang session to whatever episode it's tied to. Particularly towards the end of the season it feels like them decompressing after spending hours in the pressure cooker of being in whatever world they're in. Still some fun watches there, but just don't go in with the expectation they're gonna deep dive into all aspects of a given episode.