Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Of all the branches that could conceivably use a sword of course the air force went gung ho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

Of all the branches that could conceivably use a sword of course the air force went gung ho.

"Fly me lower, I want to hit them with my sword!"

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Congratulations on your military achievements. Here is your giant penis.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thundercats hoooooo *drops nuke*

great username
Dec 28, 2023

My job just blasts people's fullz in a Teams chat when people need ID verification done for phone number changes (only a few leads have access to lexisnexis), and it's insane to me, watching people just post someone's name, DOB and SSN in a teams chat with like 150 other people.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Previous job, it was policy to immediately lock your PC if you stepped away due to us working with sensitive info. If you didn't, there were a few people around who would catch it and then change your wallpaper and cursor and icons to unicorns before you got back. One guy carried around a USB drive he'd plug in that would basically change everything on your PC into unicorns in an instant. The CEO even noticed me forgetting it once and I got back to my PC being vandalized and he thought it was the funniest thing. It was a dumb, silly company punishment practice that we all found comical, me included, but it was still somewhat annoying to come back to your desk after getting a cup of water and having to de-unicorn everything.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Catastrophe posted:

Previous job, it was policy to immediately lock your PC if you stepped away due to us working with sensitive info. If you didn't, there were a few people around who would catch it and then change your wallpaper and cursor and icons to unicorns before you got back. One guy carried around a USB drive he'd plug in that would basically change everything on your PC into unicorns in an instant. The CEO even noticed me forgetting it once and I got back to my PC being vandalized and he thought it was the funniest thing. It was a dumb, silly company punishment practice that we all found comical, me included, but it was still somewhat annoying to come back to your desk after getting a cup of water and having to de-unicorn everything.

Previous job was similar, except the standard was to jump into email and send a team wide notice that you were bringing in donuts tomorrow.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

I liked being more subtle, I'd just google a giant image of a lock and then lock the PC.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Catastrophe posted:

We did Rick James, Lisa Frank, or a unicorn with the words "Thug Life" tattooed on it.

Most laugh and change it back. Except for one guy who decided to keep the Thug Life unicorn for about a year.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Sex arse status: extra features (holes).
If any of you work in Maersk Copenhagen might have to change the thread title.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mr Teatime posted:

God drat.

Glad your stupid loving bosses didn't get you killed.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

NPR Journalizard posted:

Previous job was similar, except the standard was to jump into email and send a team wide notice that you were bringing in donuts tomorrow.

The standard at my old job (I am now officially redundant as of Dec 31 lol) was a company-wide email professing your undying love of the CEO and your wish to have his children.

HR found it hilarious (she was drunk most of the time apparently).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We changed a dude’s outlook signature to a common misspelling of his name (which he hated when people would spell it that way) and he didn’t notice for almost a year

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mr Teatime posted:

Stay safe sex arse ghost.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I've had that job too. :allears: it was all good fun. At another job, they had standard desktop builds or something where the "rotate desktop 90 degrees" keyboard shortcut for certain gfx cards worked on all of them. So then you'd come back to an upside-down desktop after forgetting to lock your pc. 🙃

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Mr Teatime posted:

What are we looking at here? Is that a bullet or shrapnel?

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Mr Teatime posted:

Christ. Please stay as safe as you can. Any chance on a bit of shore leave when you're hitting the end of the run? The whole "it's a big fuckin warzone" thing seems like it uh, should warrant that.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Outrail posted:

What are we looking at here? Is that a bullet or shrapnel?
The Maersk Hangzhou was first “hit by an unknown object,” but was able to continue moving as there was no fire on board
https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/01/business/maersk-pauses-shipping-red-sea-hnk-intl/index.html

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Direct deposit becomes a requirement this week. Employees had a year to comply. Many are mad because they don’t want their wives to see their check.

Anyone who isn’t on DD this week is getting their check mailed straight to their housespouse. Despite being told this a dozen times in the last 6 months they are all very surprised and angry.

FTFY ;)
[/boomerhumor]

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Randy Travesty posted:

Christ. Please stay as safe as you can. Any chance on a bit of shore leave when you're hitting the end of the run? The whole "it's a big fuckin warzone" thing seems like it uh, should warrant that.

You'd think danger pay becomes a thing if you're impacted by an active war zone ethnic genocide.

Do you get danger pay?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'd guess its categorized as a "conflict zone" or some bullshit to avoid calling it a warzone and avoid extra pay :capitalism:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I should clarify again so I don’t get too much undeserved sympathy, I’m not on Hangzhou, she’s one of our sister ships in class on this particular run. The intensely stupid thing about this situation is not only did Maersk and Maersk alone decide to restart Red Sea transits and provoke a response from the Houthis wanting to send a message, they chose to start by sending a loving H-class. The H-class ships are all on looping runs from China to the Adriatic with, up until the current conflict, a port call in Haifa. So not only did these clods decide to paint a target on our ships they decided to do it by sending in the ships who are only behind literally Israeli owned vessels on the big huge poo poo list of Iranian/Houthi grievances.

Regarding high risk/warlike areas (which are treated differently) the last guidance which hasn’t been updated is that 20nm off Yemen is considered a warlike area except if you’re in the security transit corridor which doesn’t count. You can see exactly how secure it is. It’s currently the source of near mutiny amongst our crews because a lot of our rights regarding refusal and obligatory repatriation upon request are dependent on the warlike area classification. As for extra money you get double pay in a warlike area for the days you’re in it so you know, lol lmao definitely worth getting bombed and shot.

Currently barrelling towards the same location on the other H-boat which I won’t name while the office fucks around with a “48hr pause”, all of the officers and crew are in full mutiny mode including the captain and I really don’t think Maersk understands how close they are to full blown rebellion on this one if they choose to keep ordering ships in after this colossal gently caress up.

H-classes are bloody cursed enough as it is, you might remember the Honam which I’ve also done my time onboard after the name change which they did to try and memory hole the other time they got a bunch of people killed with stupidity.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah, but have you considered the people who suffer the most from this situation, the shareholders?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
And the sexarseholders.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Darkest Auer posted:

Yeah, but have you considered the people who suffer the most from this situation, the shareholders?

Oh my friend, Maersk stock is up like 13% on the back of the Red Sea disruption. All of the big shipping carriers are, they are jacking freight rates and making bank off of this.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Darkest Auer posted:

Some people have no consideration for their betters. Smdh

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mr Teatime posted:

H-classes are bloody cursed enough as it is, you might remember the Honam which I’ve also done my time onboard after the name change which they did to try and memory hole the other time they got a bunch of people killed with stupidity.

OK, so this got me to google that because I've been on a little bit of a marine disaster kick as of late.

First off, that sounds like a clusterfuck, and like it was totally due to them improperly securing/storing some nasty chemicals if I'm reading it right?

Second:

quote:

To recover costs, the ship's owner declared general average, a long-held principle where cargo owners are expected to pay a fraction of their shipment's value to compensate salvage efforts. The value decided by an adjustor amounted to a salvage security of 42.5% of cargo value in addition to an 11.5% deposit, meaning owners of the remaining cargo had to pay a total of 54% of their cargo's value before being able to take possession of it

LMAO they can loving do that?!? Their ship burns down so they hold the charred remains of your cargo - that you were paying them to move - hostage to defray the cost?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Sounds like you need to go full sex arse pirate and hold the cargo hostage.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Mr Teatime posted:

Oh my friend, Maersk stock is up like 13% on the back of the Red Sea disruption. All of the big shipping carriers are, they are jacking freight rates and making bank off of this.

Is this why the poo poo going from China to LA spiked over 1k for no loving reason?

Arm the ships yourselves and seize control. Make your own routes. gently caress em all.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ravus Ursus posted:

Is this why the poo poo going from China to LA spiked over 1k for no loving reason?

Arm the ships yourselves and seize control. Make your own routes. gently caress em all.

:hmmyes: mutiny and become ungovernable

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
International shipping was built as an investment thing. They pass as much risk as possible on to whoever else is involved.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Outrail posted:

Sounds like you need to go full sex arse pirate and hold the cargo hostage.

smh "hold the booty hostage" was right there

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

blatman posted:

smh "hold the booty hostage" was right there

gently caress

:suicide:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mr Teatime posted:

Regarding high risk/warlike areas (which are treated differently) the last guidance which hasn’t been updated is that 20nm off Yemen is considered a warlike area except if you’re in the security transit corridor which doesn’t count.

I'm assuming from context that the nm here is "nautical miles" but I gotta tell you, on first read I thought you have the worlds most precise guidance on whats considered a warlike area.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cyrano4747 posted:

LMAO they can loving do that?!? Their ship burns down so they hold the charred remains of your cargo - that you were paying them to move - hostage to defray the cost?

Now look up how damages are calculated if the company fucks up and the crew dies. The total compensation pool is capped at the current value of the ship, which is the scrap value since it's on the bottom of the ocean.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's stupid on both sides. I once had a ship drop off radar in the Pacific. Not like anything bad happened, it was just going slow and hadn't pinged in a few days so tracking just dropped off and was ????? For ETA.

I update our sales and ops teams just in case it spins out into something severe. The God drat sales VP goes "what can we do about this?".

My boss gave me a talking to after I replied with "Unless you've got your helicopter license, not much. And if you do, I think search and rescue takes precedence over your missing dollar store greeblies."

So it's loving stupid on both ends.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I remember working for this shipping company and this lady was just screaming at this guy because the ship was taking toooo long to get to the destination and to fix it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I love the first day back at work when random poo poo is broken for no reason. I love how we have two different SSO systems and I can only log into one of them and IT is giving me the old "try inputting your password correctly" runaround. Just like old times!

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
One thing I know everyone in my branch of the company had to absolutely love is that there was a new owner company, new managers, new team reconfigurations every few months. Oh we're switching to Lean Six Sigma now? <4 months later when the new managers arrive> Ok, Lean Six Sigma is now banned here and now that guy who has a habit of picking his nose all day across from you is the new supervisor. Ok no, that guy is fired and now we're using "Tshirt sizes" for all projects. No, wait, scrap that. We have a new manager and they want to integrate agile with fruit categorizations of projects. Yes, fruit. Like a "grape" project was easy but a "coconut" project would be difficult. No wait, scrap that. The new manager this month wants to go back to waterfall instead of agile.

Hey, anyone know why there's so little productivity here?

Again, the same company I've mentioned here where one of the most recent Glassdoor reviews says to "run. don't walk away"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Catastrophe posted:

This reads like the script for The Recruit 2 and I can't wait for it to be revealed that USB guy ultimately is found out to have been doing corporate espionage with the CEOs blessing