Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean practically every mildly famous 80s and 90s thing is getting a 30 years later sequel now, if anything it's more rampant than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Hyper Color shirts: The Movie

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Freddy vs. Jason vs. Big Johnson vs. Fuddrucker's

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I don’t think it’s meant to be sold to kids specifically, but to the people who feel nostalgia for those things. It’s complicated when the movies or tv shows are for kids, bigh because they’re being seeded with nostalgic things for the parents and because the people making the thing can only remember their own childhoods and don’t totally get how things have changed. Nobody was really predicting that zoomer kids would go nuts for Friends reruns or stranger things, but I guess the present is so intolerable that everyone wants to escape into a fantasy from 30-40 years ago.

There is also the related phenomenon of adults making movies about high school that feature things from 30 years earlier as if they still exist. Like, how many movies from the 80s had greaser bullies in leather jackets?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

No. 6 posted:

Hyper Color shirts: The Movie

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. After all, they tried to make Play-Doh: The Movie

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I AM GRANDO posted:

There is also the related phenomenon of adults making movies about high school that feature things from 30 years earlier as if they still exist. Like, how many movies from the 80s had greaser bullies in leather jackets?

I mean i went to high school in the 90's and i was def a greaser in a leather jacket. My hair mousse budget was off the fuckin chain

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hexwren posted:

not a specific term for it, i don't think, it's just considered part of a generalized nostalgia for a period of time

Zeitgeistkommodifizierungleren

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Been trying to remember a VFX shot from what I think was an early Spielberg movie, and it’s been driving me nuts for days now. I want to say it was Duel, but I can’t find any confirmation of it, so that probably isn’t right.

Some guy is about to get hit by a car or truck or something, and there’s a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it closeup of the guy with absurd bug-eyed prosthetic makeup on as a reaction shot, only for a fraction of a second.

The movie’s relatively serious otherwise and I think the idea was that no one would have enough time to notice the makeup on the big screen, kind of like the dude with the giant arms at the end of Robocop, and I think it was even older than that so they didn’t really anticipate people going frame-by-frame through the movie at home either.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Dewgy posted:

Some guy is about to get hit by a car or truck or something, and there’s a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it closeup of the guy with absurd bug-eyed prosthetic makeup on as a reaction shot, only for a fraction of a second.

Toecutter goes splat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUNpJBzAyXk

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

titties posted:

I mean i went to high school in the 90's and i was def a greaser in a leather jacket. My hair mousse budget was off the fuckin chain

I guess we had a leather jacket kid too and that was even later. He was a weirdo though

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Exactly the one, thank you! :tipshat:

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

I love the fake front on the truck in that thumbnail, used because George Miller didn't actually tell the guy who owned the truck what they were intending to do with it. The production of Mad Max is filled with stories like that.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Kosmo Gallion posted:

An April fools prank by a UK PlayStation magazine (I think PlayStation Plus, which was also part 'lads mag') in the late '90s for a first person "shooter" called Scum. Supposedly it would use live actors and the player could murder them using a vast array of weapons (hammer, chainsaw, drill, rifle) and torture bound and gagged women. It's 'graphics' were just the editorial staff being killed with really lame MS paint blood edited onto it but enough people believed the game was real to write in requesting the release date.

I'd love it if somebody has a scan of this.

Welp, I finally got around to having a serious look for this and found it.

I guess this might be mildly NSFW if you think lame computer graphics and MS paint "blood" counts.

https://archive.org/details/playstation-plus-31/page/28/mode/2up?view=theater

It was really fun skimming through such an old magazine, with previews of the OG Resident Evil 2 and guides for GTA1.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Welp, I finally got around to having a serious look for this and found it.

I guess this might be mildly NSFW if you think lame computer graphics and MS paint "blood" counts.

https://archive.org/details/playstation-plus-31/page/28/mode/2up?view=theater

It was really fun skimming through such an old magazine, with previews of the OG Resident Evil 2 and guides for GTA1.

Oh Christ, I had a subscription to Playstation Plus and clearly remember this

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I’m trying to find this old operating system(?) that I was trying to remember the other day. I can’t guarantee I didn’t make this up or am horribly mis-remembering, but…

It was on an old, old family PC sometime in the late 80s or very early 90s. I remember there was a main screen where, after you installed programs, it would get a large-ish rectangular tile that you could click on to launch it. I think it might have been in 8-bit color. I keep seeing the name “geos” in my mind but there is an operation system called that that I don’t think resembles it.

That’s super vague and I don’t think it’s enough to go on, but I figured if anyone knows old tech it’d be these forums. Thank you.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEM_(desktop_environment)

I vaguely remembered this from PC magazines at the time. There are some screenshots of various versions and rebrands that might spark a memory if it's the same.

Red Cat
Nov 4, 2008

Techno Remix posted:

I’m trying to find this old operating system(?) that I was trying to remember the other day. I can’t guarantee I didn’t make this up or am horribly mis-remembering, but…

It was on an old, old family PC sometime in the late 80s or very early 90s. I remember there was a main screen where, after you installed programs, it would get a large-ish rectangular tile that you could click on to launch it. I think it might have been in 8-bit color. I keep seeing the name “geos” in my mind but there is an operation system called that that I don’t think resembles it.

That’s super vague and I don’t think it’s enough to go on, but I figured if anyone knows old tech it’d be these forums. Thank you.

Was it a Tandy PC? That sounds like it could be Tandy DeskMate.
http://toastytech.com/guis/deskmate.html

FaxMachina
Nov 14, 2005

BLOOPER DRINKS TOO MUCH TRUTH
I'm looking for a webcomic that I'm pretty sure I discovered through the SA forums in the early 2000s. I remember it being about a group of friends being depressed/stuck in a small town. One of the characters was named Lunch. I don't remember the art being that great, but at the time I loved the writing.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEM_(desktop_environment)

I vaguely remembered this from PC magazines at the time. There are some screenshots of various versions and rebrands that might spark a memory if it's the same.

None of these are ringing any bells, but thanks for looking! It’s another one to knock off my list.

Red Cat posted:

Was it a Tandy PC? That sounds like it could be Tandy DeskMate.
http://toastytech.com/guis/deskmate.html

I don’t believe we had a Tandy. I remember having a Commodore at one point and then one of those old PCs where you could hit the turbo button for a whopping 16 mhz of power. That site looks like it’s got a bunch of images though so i bet I can at least go searching some more. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Techno Remix posted:

BeOS?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeOS

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I had purchased a set of glassware with various old Subaru models etched onto it. I think one of them was the 360, I can't find any evidence of them ever existing.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Anderson Koopa posted:

I had purchased a set of glassware with various old Subaru models etched onto it. I think one of them was the 360, I can't find any evidence of them ever existing.

I found this image

But unfortunately it's from pintrest

Oh, I also found these two links

https://subarugear.com/product/658611-16-oz-classic-pint-glass
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234389152456

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Slimy Hog posted:

I found this image

Not the same but I like this one

https://subarugear.com/product/641149-can-glass-with-lid-and-straw

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Techno Remix posted:

There's two versions of GEOS. The 8-bit version was bundled with most Commodore 64C and Commodore 128 computers, while there was a later 16 bit version that ran on x86 hardware. You might have looked up the wrong one for comparison.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I still think it was probably deskmate. Do you have memories of playing digital guess-the-letter stick figure hangman?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

I found this image

That's it, thanks!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

god i love glasses shaped like soda cans, there's something so whimsical about it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

SixteenShells posted:

god i love glasses shaped like soda cans, there's something so whimsical about it

Me too, and a tinted one with sweet retro graphics makes me really covet it

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Techno Remix posted:

GSOS for the Apple IIGS?

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Gnoman posted:

There's two versions of GEOS. The 8-bit version was bundled with most Commodore 64C and Commodore 128 computers, while there was a later 16 bit version that ran on x86 hardware. You might have looked up the wrong one for comparison.

I did see a picture from GeoWorks which is getting really close to what I remember (with the big clickable icons). I remember them being more rectangular but this is at least 30 years on so any memories are really fuzzy.

shame on an IGA posted:

I still think it was probably deskmate. Do you have memories of playing digital guess-the-letter stick figure hangman?

I don’t think so? Then again, I wasn’t paying a whole lot of attention to computer stuff as a kid. At best I can remember a large grey button with a C:\> icon on it (maybe in green?). I was a pretty dumb kid so there’s probably at least three different things mashed together in this vague memory.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I'm trying to remember the name of a song I used to play to crack up my partner. It's from 2-5 years ago and is a dumb dance/techno/edm thing where the drop is a synth doing this boderline atonal pitch slide with these weird, chopped up, syncopated doinky bits that kinda sound like someone farting through a slide whistle. Pretty sure the artist was someone using his full name and I remember it sounding more like an indie kid name than a DJ name. I think the album cover was a white background with a bunch of colorful collage elements. It's really, really annoying, vapid, and dumb. It was a meme for a bit.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

cbat

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bless you.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a song I used to play to crack up my partner.

As long as you’re not using cbat to seduce your partner…

TIFU / My (20F) girlfriend of two years told me the music that I (25M) play during sex is weird and a major turn off

quote:

A little back story; when I first started having sex I researched into ways to be better as I was a little stiff and pretty much had no idea what I was doing. I read online that you can play music and match the rhythm in order to put on a better performance.

I searched love making songs and started slowly creating a playlist in which I was comfortable matching the rhythm.

There are a few songs to my playlist. However there is one song in particular, which actually happens to be my favourite, that my girlfriend hates and says turns her off in a major way.

I don’t understand why it has taken her two years to tell me she hates that song, it’s a good love making song with good rhythm. I feel the way I hosed up is I could have possibly asked her previously if she likes the playlist or any songs she’d like to add/change. But to leave it for two years thinking our sex life is great but in her eyes has just been ruined by my music has left the whole situation feeling awkward and I’m a bit annoyed.

I pretty much played this tune every single time so the amount of times she must have not been enjoying it, when I thought the complete opposite is annoying but also embarrassing in ways.

Not to mention my previous partners, however they never complained about the song so maybe it’s just her?

It’s hosed up the relationship tbh because sex feels awkward now. The other day we were having sex with no music but I was still thrusting to the tune playing in my head. She recognised this and asked me to stop.

I thought this song was perfect and I always thrust along with the tune and feel it gives me the perfect rhythm for doing the deed to. I usually bust to this song and find it devastating she hates the song.

the song itself

TL;DR She hates my love making tunes and didn’t tell me for over two years making sex now awkward.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
I just considered the possibility that the “rhythm” that he’s thrusting along with is the snare…

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Blue Moonlight posted:

TIFU / My (20F) girlfriend of two years told me the music that I (25M) play during sex is weird and a major turn off

You're missing the sequel, which is my favorite part of the saga. (different user)

TIFU by accidentally teaching my roommate's parrot to sing CBAT. My roommate doesn't know yet.

quote:

**Bird audio hyperlinked at the very end**

I am so dead. My roommate is out of town camping until the end of the weekend and he's going to kill me when he finds out.

Ok, so we all know the story with [CBAT](https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/x35iu6/tifu_my_20f_girlfriend_of_two_years_told_me_the/), no need to go into that. My roommate is out of town for a week, and I have the whole apartment to myself. Four days ago, I (29m) asked my gf (29f) if she would like to enjoy some delicious fun time while blasting CBAT. Her and I are both super weird, and are open to doing this kind of dumb stuff. To no surprise, she laughed and said yes. I just thought it would be funny to experience. To my surprise, it really wasn't as weird as I thought it would be. It might be that the love I have for her is so powerful, that it left only about 5% of my brain power focusing on the dolphin sounds in the background.

The next day we decided to go at it again, only this time CBAT was a surprise for her. After a few minutes of kissing, I turned on the music and we both started laughing hysterically before getting it on. I even lasted longer than the day before, which I now regret.

Here's the problem which I stupidly did not even take a second to consider. While my roommate is out of town, I'm taking care of his parrot who dwells in our living room, which shares a very thin door with my bedroom. This is no ordinary parrot. This is a chattering lory (same bird as that red one on youtube who goes "wuewuewue"). This bird does not shut up. He makes so much noise that I've naturally learned to ignore him after a year of living with it.

Anyway, somehow it never even crossed my mind that these parrots learn words and sounds and mimic them surprisingly accurately. Before leaving for work yesterday morning, I made some coffee and sat down in the living room for a bit just relaxing and closing my eyes. All of a sudden, I hear the first few notes of CBAT in perfect pitch and rhythm. I opened my eyes and this little dude is staring me dead in the face. 5-10 seconds pass, and I hear it again. I just grabbed my things and left for work immediately. I had to escape, figuring I'd just find a way to fix this or explain this later. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that I'm just dead. My roommate isn't weird like me and he hates when I say silly things to the bird. When he comes back this weekend, I'm worried he's gonna give a notice and leave.

Any advice on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. I'm sweating as I'm writing this.

And no, for privacy reasons, I will not be posting a video of the bird.

TL;DR I tried intercourse with my gf twice while blasting CBAT just for the experience, and my roommate's parrot learned the song. My roommate doesn't know about this yet.

EDIT: When I get back home from work today, I will sit by the bird and record audio.

EDIT 2: Hyperlinked CBAT above for those who haven't read the story.

EDIT 3: [Here’s the audio you skeptics](https://voca.ro/16NdnZIFs0d4). Enjoy CBIRD. God help me.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

a literal sex-parrot :stare:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blue Moonlight posted:

....is this the music from workaholics?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

....is this the music from workaholics?

No because there are no statements being made vis a vis freshness.

Also I loving love y'all, I just realized this isn't the song finding thread and not only did nobody mention anything, you wonderful folks filled me in on all the lore I didn't know I needed. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I've asked way weirder poo poo all the time but people don't remember the name of my second grade substitute teacher, I strongly suspect they're lazy