Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1741948923353186659

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just read A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear and it actually reminded me of that DS9 episode with the lovely colonists. Except it was Libertarians taking an already lovely low tax no public services town, and voting down any last shred of tax or public funding they had. Except instead of people dying from easily preventable illnesses, they were getting mauled by bears and losing their homes to fires because they didn't have a functioning fire dept or proper waste management. Both the episode and the book had me yelling "holy poo poo you are such dumb fucks!!!!"

e: with any luck this stancil guy will give himself an aneurysm or stroke or something. Anyone who still has an account on those places should keep piling on the bullying

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
cool page number

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
only the south can do slavery. since the north won the war there is no slavery.

its literally the same poo poo whenever someone points out racism in ny or chicago or boston or whatever. in the south it's racism in the north it's just sparkling ethnic violence

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Mark Ames in Going Postal draws some parallels between modern employer employee relationships in how management thinks about them, and how slave owners talked of managing slaves. There is also the element of how bosses own your time that would’ve been considered crazy for most of history where such things were more end result oriented except if you were a slave.

I don’t recall all the specifics I read it many years ago. He was drawing some parallel not with slave rebellions and people going postal but the occasional murderous freak outs from slaves.

unrelated but I recently got an iPhone and there’s some weird succ in the words they’ve omitted from their dictionary so you have to manually type in rather than swipe. Slaver is in there but slave is not

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FuzzySlippers posted:

Mark Ames in Going Postal draws some parallels between modern employer employee relationships in how management thinks about them, and how slave owners talked of managing slaves. There is also the element of how bosses own your time that would’ve been considered crazy for most of history where such things were more end result oriented except if you were a slave.

I don’t recall all the specifics I read it many years ago. He was drawing some parallel not with slave rebellions and people going postal but the occasional murderous freak outs from slaves.

unrelated but I recently got an iPhone and there’s some weird succ in the words they’ve omitted from their dictionary so you have to manually type in rather than swipe. Slaver is in there but slave is not

huh wtf

this poo poo feels kinda pernicious, like how speaking the word "genocide" gets your videos deranked and unsearchable. But it's also done very poorly. an actual word filter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What would be the gently caress equivalent for slavery in that word filter?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

for that matter genocide is not in the dictionary either. (but the much less common regicide is) It seems like such a weird thing to put your finger on the scale for, but I also thought shadow banning genocide on social media seems similarly odd

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

What would be the gently caress equivalent for slavery in that word filter?

"Hustle" or "grindset."

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

"murder" is also masked lol.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Its fascinating watching a man parry every criticism with "The US has the greatest system on earth just like I was taught in 3rd grade, therefore that can't be true"

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Does he actually dispute the core accusation that our prison system enslaves people or is he purely mad about terminology

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mawarannahr posted:

huh wtf

this poo poo feels kinda pernicious, like how speaking the word "genocide" gets your videos deranked and unsearchable. But it's also done very poorly. an actual word filter.

it’s probably due to dictionary updates surrounding tech terms changing, a slave drive in a computer (or slave hardware in general) is a term that the industry’s been trying to get rid of for a while and so they probably de-prioritized it as a correction, but the other part of that component set would be called the “master” hardware, not the “slaver” so the weight of slaver as a correction goes untouched

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Dewgy posted:

it’s probably due to dictionary updates surrounding tech terms changing, a slave drive in a computer (or slave hardware in general) is a term that the industry’s been trying to get rid of for a while and so they probably de-prioritized it as a correction, but the other part of that component set would be called the “master” hardware, not the “slaver” so the weight of slaver as a correction goes untouched

of all the reasons this is definitely the least likely

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

that's me! i love hamas and i love long covid and i LOVE TRMUP

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

lol even in the belly of the lib beast, law school, the constitution class explicitly taught that the 13th amendment allows slavery of incarcerated people

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ukrainerallydc/status/1734577979139785163

Love to see nichael out and about in the world

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SixteenShells posted:

Does he actually dispute the core accusation that our prison system enslaves people or is he purely mad about terminology

He's a lib, so probably the terminology.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

SixteenShells posted:

the_steve posted:

He's a lib, so probably the terminology.

He's a lib; the terminology is the accusation. Similar to how it's not corruption unless you give a politician a big bag with a dollar sign on it and say out loud "I am illegally giving you this money so that you will pass policy I like" it doesn't count as slavery if you don't call it slavery, and therefore it is good and fine actually

See also: literally every single Republican policy the Dems have continued without objection, especially everything related to immigration/the border and the war on terror

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mad?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

getting in again

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/re_bhb/status/1741981726958559611?t=_MXQpJUd2TV3pPzTE6wGbQ&s=19

Okay I'm sorry but those shelves are loving disgusting jesus christ

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Internet is a place where people tell you that prisoners being forced to work without pay is not slavery, but healthcare being offered for free at point of service is slavery

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

the only true emancipation from slavery is death and with free healthcare, youre just keeping people locked in their chains

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I have a subscription to The Economist. I'm usually 1-2 weeks behind, so other than single big events (7 October Hamas in Israel, for example) I usually don't know about anything news until it's a bit older than new. Big events show up in my Instragram feed.

My subscription costs more than $500 / year. I'm in Australia and AUD is worth considerably less than USD. I also subscribe to their YouTube channel and while I have an adblocker I assume having subscribers and putting up videos that get watched by thousands of people still generates some income.

Nightmare media consumption

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

FuzzySlippers posted:

the contrast between the useless whiny maquis and the bajorans is interesting. The bajorans are one of the most sympathetic proper insurgencies I can recall seeing in liberal media. Even within this show they usually sigh over other violent resistances about how they just need to protest on tv and vote, but so far about halfway through no one has really questioned the necessity of assassinations, bombings, etc in the bajoran resistance. Maybe it made people sad and 'dirty' to have to fight, but it was necessary.

Maybe this is because they are supposed to represent french, jewish, etc ww2 resistance against the nazis or goofy israeli exodus stuff, but I had still been reading it as closer to the 90s Bosnian War though perhaps the timing of the start of tensions to the start of ds9 is too tight. As I recall broadly Western sympathies were with the Islamic people there and I had read the bajoran religion as being more like space muslims then space jews.

Maybe looking for too much consistency here is as useless as looking for 40k consistency because it's a cobbled together universe with a multitude of writers flinging stories into it. I don't get the sense ds9 had any kind of guiding vision like its contemporary b5.

I might've missed that distinction on replicators in ds9 or I haven't gotten to it. As I recall in old trek that's more like how they got their food. It was pushed through a little window presumably by space kitchen staff and not a magic box that can make anything your heart desires.

The Bajorans are deffo inspired by the French resistance, or specifically the popular idea of the French resistance which didn't really exist for most of the war tbh. There's no real sense of ethnic or religious tensions among Bajorans iirc it's just the resistance vs collabs

But yes it's about as good a handling as that kind of thing as you can expect from mass media. THere are times when resistance vets (esp Kira) show up and go 'oh man we killed a lot of people and some of them were clerks or settlers instead of soldiers' and kinda hmm and haw over it but it's usually followed by someone else saying that they were just as guilty as soldiers or detailing the millions of Bajorans lost in death camps or slave mines or whatever. DS9 ftw

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
dreamcast page

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
sisko family owns a restaurant. picard family has generational wealth and owns a vineyard. lib utopia nonsense but it is fun tv

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mags posted:

sisko family owns a restaurant. picard family has generational wealth and owns a vineyard. lib utopia nonsense but it is fun tv

succ trek

star succ

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ds9 has an episode where the protagonists accidentally murder a prisoner of war and then puppet their corpse thru a prisoner exchange

which is up there in terms of wild poo poo i've ever seen in entertainment media

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

succ trek

star succ

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Still think it's incredibly funny biden went out of his way to sidestep congress and abuse executive powers to give Israel more ethnic cleansing money when congress would have full throat voted 527-1 to send that money anyway.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/TDucklo/status/1742169214792741148?s=20

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
That mfer never had cancer. You don't survive 5 years with metastatic lung cancer.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

No! Nooooo!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Succ