Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
I will blatantly plagiarize other youtuber's skits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

An absolutely insane gambit from Joel Haver but, hell, I hope he somehow pulls it off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_oWyt693-Q

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Mappo posted:

Happy New Year thread!

This year my resolution is to finally take the plunge and start making my own video essays. I have no idea how to make them, but I'm going to learn and try! Unfortunately, I won't be able to start until February due to moving apartments this month. But I'll keep you all updated on my bad choices!

Godspeed! Be sure to check out this SA thread for general guidance.

Biggest tidbit of advice I can give is not to make the same mistake I did: making video essays on topics that are too niche or otherwise not 'youtube clickable'. poo poo takes a lot of time. So if you want to reach an audience, try to find the intersection of things you can talk about at great length, and things that could appeal to a general audience. Not saying to go full on marvel slop mode, and certain niche topics can be packaged in mainstream-clickable ways, but there's no denying it's harder.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

make videos on what you want tbh

trying to 'get views' is basically like praying to an absentee god

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, I'm just gonna make the videos that I'd want to watch. I know my content will be niche and probably won't get a lot of views and thats ok. I'm just doing it because it's fun to try something new and I've got a couple of ideas in my head that I'd like to make into videos. I have no desire to be a Content Creator and sling RAID: Shadow Legends or fly by night VPNs

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Mappo posted:

Yeah, I'm just gonna make the videos that I'd want to watch. I know my content will be niche and probably won't get a lot of views and thats ok. I'm just doing it because it's fun to try something new and I've got a couple of ideas in my head that I'd like to make into videos. I have no desire to be a Content Creator and sling RAID: Shadow Legends or fly by night VPNs

Not talking about sponsorships or even monetization. All I am saying is you are underestimating the pain of seeing the watch time of your videos being less than the time it took to put them together. Your current outlook is exactly what mine was when I started creating and I promise you, it is not an outlook that survives the process of actually creating videos. Follow your passions, as that's where the good video ideas generally are, but do still play the game, at least in terms of thumbnail/title/etc.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sardonik posted:

Not talking about sponsorships or even monetization. All I am saying is you are underestimating the pain of seeing the watch time of your videos being less than the time it took to put them together.

My all time most popular video is a 10 second animation I chucked together in an afternoon and never expected anyone to watch, it's currently got over half a million views. My most painstakingly pieced together video took over a month of work, involved nearly a dozen other people, took weeks to scout a site and also research & practice the effects I needed plus build props and costumes and modify equipment, plus I also injured myself pretty badly during the filming and ended up with a scar which lasted for years and years and only faded recently. That video got less than 250 views, lol.

Edit: the worst part was that we didn't get any good footage of the injury so it didn't even make it into the video :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 2, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

similar story here (minus the assistance of other people), and the 10 second animation made no money because it was just too short lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

one time my phone started blowing up because one of my videos did the rounds on reddit racking up 90k views. the experience of a mass of people paying attention to me was so uncomfortable it killed my creative process for weeks.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/z2rMC/status/1742024257130070261?t=nAuKhVug4QW8SFUCQskrBw&s=19

Goodbye tom

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I'm here, on my home planet

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Big Joel will also massively cutting back the short videos so he can concentrate on a handful of larger projects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWBTE0ahNqU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mildread announced Scaredy Cats is going to do a Forever Knight-a-thon where he covers 22 episodes of it and I can't wait. :ohdear:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

lol

Saagonsa posted:

Imagining the mind of a dude trying to get into art but continuing to go by the name Shad.

Lmfao. I always have to remember it's a different guy. Isn't the other shad in jail for stabbing someone for meth or whatever

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tom should absolutely edit this into his video. Incredible lol.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mappo posted:

I wish you the best and godspeed.

What kind of topics are you looking at doing and what style do you thing you'll aim for?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

The 7th Guest posted:

similar story here (minus the assistance of other people), and the 10 second animation made no money because it was just too short lol

If you make no money on it, that's why they're happy to show more of it.

I had friends learn that via TikTok and their creator fund; as soon as they were eligible to receive money for views, they opted into creator fund and their average views dropped 10-100x. As soon as they opted out, the views popped up to their old numbers.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Sardonik posted:

Not talking about sponsorships or even monetization. All I am saying is you are underestimating the pain of seeing the watch time of your videos being less than the time it took to put them together. Your current outlook is exactly what mine was when I started creating and I promise you, it is not an outlook that survives the process of actually creating videos. Follow your passions, as that's where the good video ideas generally are, but do still play the game, at least in terms of thumbnail/title/etc.

dont listen to this dork. just dont open the stupid page that gives you numbers poisoning.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMfk-zP4xr0

Who walked in Chernobyl just so that AIs and thieves could crawl in their own rooms to regurgitate his words?
This guy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DeafNote posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMfk-zP4xr0

Who walked in Chernobyl just so that AIs and thieves could crawl in their own rooms to regurgitate his words?
This guy.

funny how so many of these professional plagiarists, or at least the ones with enough resentment to gloat about it, are chuds

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

trilobite terror posted:

funny how so many of these professional plagiarists, or at least the ones with enough resentment to gloat about it, are chuds

It's the same song and dance with everything: People with that mentality just fundamentally do not understand or appreciate creativity and the creative process. It's only the end result that matters for them and the only end result they care about is money.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Crain posted:

It's the same song and dance with everything: People with that mentality just fundamentally do not understand or appreciate creativity and the creative process. It's only the end result that matters for them and the only end result they care about is money.

yep. also antiscience/resentment and straight-up sociopath brain (ie everything is on the table, plagiarism only matters inasmuch as its invocation can be used to destroy an enemy or competitor, but there's nothing wrong about me doing it beyond the risk)

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Crain posted:

I wish you the best and godspeed.

What kind of topics are you looking at doing and what style do you thing you'll aim for?

I'm thinking of starting out with video essays about movies with kink/bdsm and discuss what the get wrong or right.

I also might do some more discussion type videos about specific stuff in the lifestyle, mainly focused around power exchange relationships because it's my area of specialty. That stuff would be especially niche, but it's what I'm passionate about.

Later on, as I get more comfortable with video essays, I might do some mini-documentaries. Like the movie The Wild One and how it help create the Leather lifestyle. Or a biography on David Stein the man who coined the Safe Sane and Consensual phrase.

As far as style I'm thinking typical video essayist minimalist of just talking into the camera with cuts to pictures or videos. But I'm still thinking about that.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

trilobite terror posted:

Ultimately you have people who are okay with exploiting others as long as they're benefiting from it. Not surprising those people are chuds.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mappo posted:

I'm thinking of starting out with video essays about movies with kink/bdsm and discuss what the get wrong or right.

I also might do some more discussion type videos about specific stuff in the lifestyle, mainly focused around power exchange relationships because it's my area of specialty. That stuff would be especially niche, but it's what I'm passionate about.

Later on, as I get more comfortable with video essays, I might do some mini-documentaries. Like the movie The Wild One and how it help create the Leather lifestyle. Or a biography on David Stein the man who coined the Safe Sane and Consensual phrase.

As far as style I'm thinking typical video essayist minimalist of just talking into the camera with cuts to pictures or videos. But I'm still thinking about that.

I haven't checked the youtube side of that scene in a while, but there were a good number of fairly successful channels covering kink/BDSM a few years ago from various perspectives (ciswomen, gay men, transpeople, being black in the scene, etc).

IDK how youtube is loving over sex educators/commentators today, but it might be worth immersing yourself in their work a bit, just to make sure that you don't end up being functionally deplatformed or whatever before your work even gets the chance to be really seen. Might want to ask around in the creator thread that somebody posted yesterday.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wanting to make short films for YouTube and not getting anything view wise or money broke me bad.

But I got over it now so it’s okay lol

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

I haven't checked the youtube side of that scene in a while, but there were a good number of fairly successful channels covering kink/BDSM a few years ago from various perspectives (ciswomen, gay men, transpeople, being black in the scene, etc).

IDK how youtube is loving over sex educators/commentators today, but it might be worth immersing yourself in their work a bit, just to make sure that you don't end up being functionally deplatformed or whatever before your work even gets the chance to be really seen. Might want to ask around in the creator thread that somebody posted yesterday.

I did ask Amp from WattsTheSafeWord and he mentioned being careful with what words to use, which makes sense and something I'll be looking deeper into. I have been researching a few different kink channels that are similar to what I plan to be doing, they are all monetized and use similar wording that I would use.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lmao

https://twitter.com/edxn_essence/status/1742165881336045606

uncanny

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dawgstar posted:

Mildread announced Scaredy Cats is going to do a Forever Knight-a-thon where he covers 22 episodes of it and I can't wait. :ohdear:
Hell yes!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mappo posted:

I have always kind of wondered how HBO’s Real Sex looks to someone who knows literally anything about the things they cover. I’ve also always been curious about what kind of effect it had on the development of all the kids who caught episodes back in the 90s without any context for what they were seeing. There might be some interesting stuff there. I recently found an episode on an old vhs tape that had an interview with the founder of kink.com back when he was just starting out.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Good on Yandere Dev for apologizing for saying and acting inappropriately around a minor. And telling people not to harass the girl in question.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who's making the real Yandere Simulator? As in the team that capitalizes on the same idea and actually delivers it while the 'inspiration' circles development hell?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

snip i was misinterpreting the question

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 3, 2024

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who's making the real Yandere Simulator? As in the team that capitalizes on the same idea and actually delivers it while the 'inspiration' circles development hell?

Just play Hitman.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Clerical Terrors posted:

Just play Hitman.

lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Clerical Terrors posted:

Just play Hitman.

good lord YS has been in development since before the hitman reboot trilogy was even announced

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hmm... I'll play slay the princess instead

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did the YS guy on top of turning out to be a massive weirdo immediately run into the fact that he did all of the easy stuff super early and everything else was basically too hard for him?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Did the YS guy on top of turning out to be a massive weirdo immediately run into the fact that he did all of the easy stuff super early and everything else was basically too hard for him?

I can hardly blame him for having the experience of anyone trying to make anything, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mappo posted:

Sardonik posted:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My all time most popular video is a 10 second animation I chucked together in an afternoon and never expected anyone to watch, it's currently got over half a million views. My most painstakingly pieced together video took over a month of work, involved nearly a dozen other people, took weeks to scout a site and also research & practice the effects I needed plus build props and costumes and modify equipment, plus I also injured myself pretty badly during the filming and ended up with a scar which lasted for years and years and only faded recently. That video got less than 250 views, lol.

i have a youtube channel with 3 videos, the most recent of which is the longest at 34 mins, that took me months to make, that's currently sitting at a whopping 13 views :smith: