Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

Truth is, if the western supplies are going to dwindle, such strikes are going to be more frequent, I fear, from the lack of options.

There is that argument that a swift (or sooner) victory for Ukraine will tremendously lessen civilian death and suffering which might imply that the West should provide all assistance to do that. It's a humanitarian argument that really can't be ignored. And a Ukrainian loss will mean much more civilian suffering and humanitarian outage under the Russian heel. I'm inclined to ignore all the political arguments, including ones about the aftermath and just accept the humanitarian one and get it the gently caress over to end the suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TropicalCoke posted:

On asset freezes.

It would likely take an Act of Congress to effect a Seizure of any asset freeze. Asset freezes are constitutional under the 5th Amendment because Courts do not recognize it as a deprivation since they are temporary in nature. Congress has the power to regulate captures under the Constitution, but usually Acts related to allocating seizures are a result of Treaties made by the President such as the Iranian Claims Tribunal (which still exists) set up by the Carter Administration. There are examples of Congress allocating specific accounts to victims compensation, such as the victims of the Beirut bombing. See Bank Markazi. However. USA isn't at war with Russia, and unclear how those captures would be recognized.
The stickier issue would be the Takings clause claim that there would be no just compensation for a taking. Asset freezes and other sanctions usually do not meet the definitional standard of a Taking for similar reasons to the 5th Due Process claims. And whether it would be enough for a Russian national who was sanctioned to be able to claim that he has standing to sue, whether that individual has sufficient contacts to make a claim if not a citizen.
Courts generally give extreme deference to the President and OFAC on individual sanctions efforts. I am broadly unfamiliar with any freeze that has ultimately led to an outright taking, as an extant example. This would represent a dramatic shift in sanctions and international law.

In Europe, it is a bit more difficult since Europe's convention on human rights recognizes a right to enjoy property. See Al-Dulimi. And each Member State of the EU implements their own sanctions programs in accordance with whatever sanction is passed by the Community.

I am unfamiliar with UK and Japanese sanctions regimes and their laws related to Due process.

The breadth of goon knowledge never ceases to amaze me.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Plus there is a time element. The longer the war drags out even if there is some kind of strategic rationale, the more time for the West to shoot itself and everyone else in the dick electing a Trump or LePen derailing the support train that way.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is Russia going to argue to the UN that they are the only ones who have the right to bomb their enemies cities? Like, what the hell. They've been bombing cities daily for the last few weeks

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

the popes toes posted:

There is that argument that a swift (or sooner) victory for Ukraine will tremendously lessen civilian death and suffering which might imply that the West should provide all assistance to do that. It's a humanitarian argument that really can't be ignored. And a Ukrainian loss will mean much more civilian suffering and humanitarian outage under the Russian heel. I'm inclined to ignore all the political arguments, including ones about the aftermath and just accept the humanitarian one and get it the gently caress over to end the suffering.

as we have seen with palestine, political and economic concerns will almost always trump humanitarian ones

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Collapsing Farts posted:

Is Russia going to argue to the UN that they are the only ones who have the right to bomb their enemies cities? Like, what the hell. They've been bombing cities daily for the last few weeks

Try last two years. It generally doesn't enter Western news unless it's really big.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Oh ffs I have seen zero evidence of Ukraine targeting maternity hospitals and shopping malls. They have a right to shoot at military targets, and if Russia intercepts them and the falling wreckage kills civilians, it's a tragedy, but it's not at all the same thing as deliberately targeting those same civilians. Intent matters, so please stop edging towards both-siding this.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Oh ffs I have seen zero evidence of Ukraine targeting maternity hospitals and shopping malls. They have a right to shoot at military targets, and if Russia intercepts them and the falling wreckage kills civilians, the it's a tragedy, but it's not at all the same thing as deliberately targeting those same civilians. Intent matters, so please stop edging towards both-siding this.

This exact argument can be used to excuse Russian strikes on civilian targets as well. Instead of trying to divine intent, I think militaries are responsible for the damage to civilians that occur as a result of their actions, even if that result wasn't their specific intent

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

This exact argument can be used to excuse Russian strikes on civilian targets as well. Instead of trying to divine intent, I think militaries are responsible for the damage to civilians that occur as a result of their actions, even if that result wasn't their specific intent

Um, no. That's not how the law of armed conflict works at all. The arguments are quite different, and intent does matter.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

That's an idiotic position to take.

Following this logic with a hypothetical: You fire the most accurate weapon ever created at a purely military target, it never misses and only ever destroys your intended target. Your enemy fires an incredibly inaccurate counter weapon from the middle of a city that misses 99% of the time. These misses kill civilians, somehow according to your logic you are to blame for this, not the people actually directly causing the civilian casualties.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The more logically coherent response is that Russia retains ultimate responsibility period because Russia started the war and without Russian aggression no one would die at all.

There's still a general duty of care to avoid civilian casualties and you can argue proximate cause etc. but ultimately it's on Russia.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

The aggressor state is responsible for both the deaths they cause and the deaths the defenders cause. They're all Russia's fault.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bel Shazar posted:

The aggressor state is responsible for both the deaths they cause and the deaths the defenders cause. They're all Russia's fault.

This is not true.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Bel Shazar posted:

In some sort of philosophical sense, sure, it's ultimately Russia's fault. That doesn't mean Ukraine doesn't have an obligation to take appropriate precautions against civilian casualties.

The definition of "appropriate" being highly controversial of course.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Phoneposting, but there’s an article in The Washington Post today about files showing Russia is trying to manipulate French politics against Ukraine. It appears to name names.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Discendo Vox posted:

Phoneposting, but there’s an article in The Washington Post today about files showing Russia is trying to manipulate French politics against Ukraine. It appears to name names.

Were those files pulled from the cabinet labeled "yeah no poo poo"

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Uh, I think it matters quite a bit that Russian attacks are very clearly conducted with the clear intent to hit civilian targets while Ukrainian attacks do not appear to be.

Which is specifically why Ukrainians are infrequently hitting civilians - often as a direct result of countermeasures causing them to hit poo poo like an empty parking lot - as opposed to a constant stream of Russian attacks on civilian targets like infrastructure and residential buildings.

Conducting a punitive artillery bombardment on a suburb is not the same as a drone on its way to an ammo dump getting shot down and blowing up a car. The moral calculus for collateral damage is also a little different, in my opinion, when a cruise missile/drone is shot down by defenders who could reasonably expect the missile was targeted at civilians.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 31, 2023

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I just saw a report on Bluesky that the Ukrainians hacked Russian credit card readers.

https://bsky.app/profile/noelreports.bsky.social/post/3khufduyswu2g

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The X-man cometh posted:

I just saw a report on Bluesky that the Ukrainians hacked Russian credit card readers.

https://bsky.app/profile/noelreports.bsky.social/post/3khufduyswu2g

What does that accomplish? Seems like this would negatively affect poor and middle class Russians at a very vulnerable time. Unless there's something else going on.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Nitrox posted:

What does that accomplish? Seems like this would negatively affect poor and middle class Russians at a very vulnerable time. Unless there's something else going on.

Bringing the war home in nonviolent ways is a valid tactic. They’re not going to pierce the media veil so hit them directly.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TK-42-1 posted:

Bringing the war home in nonviolent ways is a valid tactic. They’re not going to pierce the media veil so hit them directly.

I understand hacking state media outlets or public advertising displays to convey anti-war messaging, which happened multiple times. But making credit cards not work is not even in the same ballpark. Unless this was the monetary system of choice for some sort of military procurement, I remain confused

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nitrox posted:

I understand hacking state media outlets or public advertising displays to convey anti-war messaging, which happened multiple times. But making credit cards not work is not even in the same ballpark. Unless this was the monetary system of choice for some sort of military procurement, I remain confused

Both sides are doing this to each other. And how do you think that making payment terminals in shops hurts "the poor and middle class"? Boohoo, they have to go to the ATM and draw cash for their groceries? If anything it affects the rich more, because while carrying suitcases of money is normal oligarch stuff, it's not convenient when you are shopping for jewels for your mistress. If it hurts someone then it's the shops that have to go back to cash until the hack gets fixed (if it hasn't already).

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Seems that it only affected a particular card terminal type, and not a widely deployed one as well

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nenonen posted:

Both sides are doing this to each other. And how do you think that making payment terminals in shops hurts "the poor and middle class"? Boohoo, they have to go to the ATM and draw cash for their groceries? If anything it affects the rich more, because while carrying suitcases of money is normal oligarch stuff, it's not convenient when you are shopping for jewels for your mistress. If it hurts someone then it's the shops that have to go back to cash until the hack gets fixed (if it hasn't already).

Yeah I would not expect this to affect the very rich nearly as much as you think it would.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Is there any credible evidence that Ukraine is responsible for this? Credit card readers are a pretty popular target for hacking campaigns even in a non-war context.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rahu posted:

Is there any credible evidence that Ukraine is responsible for this? Credit card readers are a pretty popular target for hacking campaigns even in a non-war context.

This is the group that claims responsibility. IDK if they are credible.
https://twitter.com/ITArmyUKR/status/1741423756831019063?s=20

Source attributing this to them:
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1741482471315624423?s=20

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Didn't know they had a twitter, thank :tipshat:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
So this is actually a state-sanctioned cyberwarfare group eh.

I'm doubtful of any significant economic damage, mostly just annoying everyday people I would imagine.
Also doesn't really square with this https://www.independent.co.uk/news/ukraine-russia-kremlin-boston-hackers-b2028853.html (Ukraine cyber official: We only attack military targets)

They've previously attacked taxis in Moscow https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/3/23335694/hackers-traffic-jam-russia-moscow-ride-hailing-app-yandex-taxi which is obviously not a military target.

It's whatever, but I'm pretty sure there's an element of this IT Army that's just having fun under the guise of cyberwarfare lol

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Uhhh you are way off, even in small towns people are mostly doing cashless transactions these days.

I literally haven't heard about this hack anywhere but here so you can probably write it off as another fake hype thing for worthless twitter accounts.

https://twitter.com/WarVehicle/status/1741823148163481971?t=dSGmb5jOtkp9Q0zKMDRbCw&s=19

Meanwhile, Russians finally managed to catch HIMARS in a sight of a drone, but apparently failed to hit it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Uhhh you are way off, even in small towns people are mostly doing cashless transactions these days.

I literally haven't heard about this hack anywhere but here so you can probably write it off as another fake hype thing for worthless twitter accounts.

That's just a matter of convenience. Unless Russian stores have entirely stopped accepting cash, which I doubt.

But you are most likely correct, even if it happened it's not like it's an irreversible problem and Russia has returned to barter economy. Banks and payment processors deal with hackers, ddossers and software failures all the time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Most “making common russians feel the war, got em” hype social media poo poo I never see mentioned by any common russians. It’s just good tummy feels for western social media observers.

First big one I remember was people going apeshit that a Best Buy drone chipped the Kremlin’s paint while Russia continued to give no shits.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
A tweet about German 155 production. Retweeted by an account that is reliable but I know nothing about artillery shell production.

https://x.com/deaidua/status/1741857264615538705?s=20

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

MikeC posted:

A tweet about German 155 production. Retweeted by an account that is reliable but I know nothing about artillery shell production.

https://x.com/deaidua/status/1741857264615538705?s=20

Huh. Didn't know that about the powder needing to cure for about 6 months before the shell can be made. Really answers a lot of questions as to why ramping up is so slow.

Here's an FXTwitter link for those who've escaped that hellsite and no longer have an account.

https://fxtwitter.com/deaidua/status/1741857264615538705

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tried to google for more info, i assume i'm now on a list somewhere. :stonklol:

It does have a shelf life, bit surprised it needs a six month curing time though.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Did the EU ministers of defense not know of this 6 month delay when they announced 1 million shells would be sent in 2023?

In that post it's mentioned 'local politics' is preventing new factories from being built and 'a solution is not yet in sight' which seems a much bigger issue then a 6 month delay after 20 months of war.

https://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p4013coll8/id/3332/
The US was somehow able to massively scale up ammo production 70 years ago in far less then six months. In February 1942 production was already 700 thousand 105 and 155mm shells in addition to thousands of 16/14 inch shells and millions of smaller caliber rounds. I'd be interested to see if this six months is needed for powder to be explosive at all or a regulatory requirement to reach the needed level of stability for it to be allowed to be used in production.

One thing also not mentioned is how banks and large investors like pension funds will not invest in any arms manufacturing as part of their charter.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 2, 2024

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
So recently Ukraine has posted their air defense taking down drones but noticeably I haven't seen any reports about taking down many missiles. Has Russia found a way to get missiles mostly through Ukrainian air defense?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bashez posted:

So recently Ukraine has posted their air defense taking down drones but noticeably I haven't seen any reports about taking down many missiles. Has Russia found a way to get missiles mostly through Ukrainian air defense?

The last couple of days were more drone-heavy, I believe. But missiles are just harder to take down in general. So they manage to down on average at least 80% of drones, for missiles it's closer to 60%.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CeeJee posted:

I'd be interested to see if this six months is needed for powder to be explosive at all or a regulatory requirement to reach the needed level of stability for it to be allowed to be used in production.

That company's shells might also be designed for that specific powder. Changing to a different blend would likely require testing to figure out how the new formula shells would perform.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

CeeJee posted:

The US was somehow able to massively scale up ammo production 70 years ago in far less then six months. In February 1942 production was already 700 thousand 105 and 155mm shells in addition to thousands of 16/14 inch shells and millions of smaller caliber rounds. I'd be interested to see if this six months is needed for powder to be explosive at all or a regulatory requirement to reach the needed level of stability for it to be allowed to be used in production.

One thing also not mentioned is how banks and large investors like pension funds will not invest in any arms manufacturing as part of their charter.

Not my area of expertise, but the US began expanding its arms production in 1940. It was fast, but I don't know that it was less than six months. We certainly had more raw factory capacity back then for that type of thing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bashez posted:

Today:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1742115256283926755#m

.. sadly I do think they have been less effective overall lately, they are likely very low on S-300 missiles and Western replacements aren't enough to cover the entier country.

(The Kh-31Ps are also particularly worrisome).